PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

meg - like the idea that you are keeping it as just in case. If I remeber correctly you've had some fab YS bargains before. Hopefully you can get a new fridge/freezer sorted out soon:).

Scallops Brambling how lovely and sounds as though you got a real bargain too:D
    kittie £44 for 6:eek::eek:, that's hugely expensive even for hand dived, not farmed etc. shame about your red mullet, at least it was free. I've only ever had it in France in fish stew where it worked well, probably for all the reasons it's not so good just as a piece of cooked fish.
    Chippy "scallops" confused me when I first moved to York, up here a battered,thick potato slice is just called a fritter. ;) Even more confusing was what (I think though it was 30+ years ago) was called a "fishcake", two slices of potato with a bit fish in the middle, battered and fried:eek:.
    Farway - sounds like a good day out even if the wobbles stopped you from visiting everything you might want to see.:)

PN - you are a right "busy bee" at the moment so nice to here you are getting out and about. :) I'm a big fan of volunteering, I've had the same volunteering "job" for nearly 17 years. Thankfully it's stuff I can lift & lay and mainly do from home so continues to work well for me in my present circumstances. It keeps me sane (or saner :rotfl::rotfl:) though also drives me nuts at times to but it's stopping my brain cells from completely withering:)

It's been pouring, windy and cold here today since late morning. Thankfully I managed to get to the libray & back before it started tipping it down. I've ended up with the heating on tonight, hard to believe it was so warm and summery on Monday. Needless to say no gardening has been done so as my "task of the day" I tidied out my bed linen cupboard. A bit of a chore tbh but it's looking good now. Thankfully it is supposed to be dry (though still chilly) tomorrow and I can hopefully get some more done in the garden. My windows are also needing washed, especially the front ones that have been well and truly splattered by seagull.:mad:

I made a tasty but rather messy to eat sandwich of ham, lettuce, sliced gherkins and mustard mayo for lunch and had it with the other half of the carton of pea & ham soup. I've loads of root veg mash left from yesterday, a portion has gone home with my Dad, I'll freeze a couple and the rest is getting turned into a small pot of soup. Salmon tonight (like Farway steamed in foil for 10-15 minutes) with baby spuds, sprouts and asparagus.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    .... I've never tried but believe it is an overcrowded market. ...
    I was "in the business" 2004-2007 - most people's photos are "just snaps" and what sells tends to not actually be photos, but studio staged photos. Generic, business staples. I had a couple on the books who were making over £250k/year just from the one global site I was running (at the time 2nd only to Getty Images for position/importance) - so god knows how much they also made through other sites and their own "actual work/clients".

The hardest thing is rejecting people's photos as they don't like the answers you give when they ask why. Sunsets, flowers and animals are, in the main, not required. Libraries have an overload of them and they are the type most often submitted by newbies... and rejected as the 100,000 already in the library are either better, or "enough" because they don't sell well commercially. I groan every time somebody posts a random "sunset" photo ... as most are just ... a bit of sun going down ... and nothing outstanding.

Yoga poses used to do well too ... so if you're going to snap a sunset, make sure it's a good one ... and get somebody doing yoga in front of it :)

Selling images for commercial use is a world away from, say, printing art to sell... horses for courses and all that.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All this talk of fish is making us sound very healthy :rotfl:

salad with bits and bobs from the fridge for lunch ie boiled egg, cheese, Serrano ham and salami, I used left over new potatoes to make a potato salad. Dinner was some sea bream I was naughty and pan fried it and it was worth it:p may avoid scales for a while :eek: new potatoes, wilted spinach and green beans

I'm currently kicking myself I've had my arm twisted by one of my sisters to agree to something I didn't really want to do and have spent the last couple of months saying no to :o I was guilted into it, that's the trouble being the baby of the family. It wouldn't kill me but I'm cross that I gave in. Don't get me wrong I love my siblings it's just some days I won't sell them for a million pounds and others I would give them away, maybe on a BOGOF :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »

I'm currently kicking myself I've had my arm twisted by one of my sisters to agree to something I didn't really want to do and have spent the last couple of months saying no to :o I was guilted into it, that's the trouble being the baby of the family. It wouldn't kill me but I'm cross that I gave in. Don't get me wrong I love my siblings it's just some days I won't sell them for a million pounds and others I would give them away, maybe on a BOGOF :rotfl:
    Families Brambling, I love mine dearly and wouldn't be without them but at times I am never sure if I want to "hug them or hit them".... As the eldest of mine, I can say that being "guilted in" works upwards as well as downwards:rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Families Brambling, I love mine dearly and wouldn't be without them but at times I am never sure if I want to "hug them or hit them".... As the eldest of mine, I can say that being "guilted in" works upwards as well as downwards:rotfl:

there's nothing like the love of a sibling to drive you to violent, I'm told being middle child isn't great either :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just written a round robin e mail to my 5 siblings, a good way to stay in touch as we all have diverse lives, I had one from a sister in aus this morning, she must have been writing it while I was thinking about her, small world with hidden vibes and empathies. Its amazing how quickly we close ranks when something happens

Food: peanut butter on toast and strawberries for breakfast, simple unadorned salad for lunch, probably with scattered beans. I think I will make a veg juice today and go for a cycle ride. I have done the hard work on the allotment, so need to get my heart beating faster and give my aching hand a rest
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Beginning to see there are some advantages to having a brother I wouldnt trust as far as I can throw him here:rotfl:. He never tries to guilt me out - in fact we barely speak, so he wouldnt have the chance anyway...

Though parents try and do "guilting in" sometimes. Though, in fairness, they do care for my welfare.

Voluntary work this morning again and fingers crossed for no "episodes" today - the last few weeks have been a bit :cool::cool::wall::naughty::silenced:.

Think I shall have to give some thought to VERY quick/easy things I could have for lunch if I know it might be a "one of those days" thing. Suggestions welcome for things that are nice/very quick/would suit my tastes. Think I may do one of those "supermarket visits and see if owt takes my fancy" en route home...
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Suggestions welcome for things that are nice/very quick/would suit my tastes. Think I may do one of those "supermarket visits and see if owt takes my fancy" en route home...

You can't beat a fish finger sandwich. :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Breakfast was a toasted muffin, baked beans, scrambled eggs, splash of the brown stuff and a black coffee.

Sunny here, it was wet/damp overnight, but the sun's out now.

Today I think I will be going to look at paint/colours. I know the colour I think I want, so that narrows it down a bit.... I hate colours/decisions and choosing/finalising ... especially as once you've decided and get it home it's all different and you don't like it.

I've also got a short "training session" at some point, for the upcoming volunteering slot.
  • Brambling
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I have just written a round robin e mail to my 5 siblings, a good way to stay in touch as we all have diverse lives, I had one from a sister in aus this morning, she must have been writing it while I was thinking about her, small world with hidden vibes and empathies. Its amazing how quickly we close ranks when something happen

Two of my sisters could say they were going to ring me and I would ring them the same time would freak my BILs out for a bit now they just accept it. Even if we haven't spoken for a while we also close ranks when needed (my brother maybe the exception but we just send our oldest sister in no one can say no to her). Also typical siblings, I can say what I like about them but you can't :rotfl:

I'm at work but system issue so waiting for my laptop to reboot.......
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback