The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    indesisiv wrote: »
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment: March 2015
    b. Debts at their highest: £25,000
    c. Debt-Free Date: Mar 2018
    d. Pearl of wisdom: Leave some money in your budget to do enjoyable things if you can. Whilst it may add on a couple of months to your DFD it doesn't then feel such a hassle for years whilst you are paying it down.

First time I have been debt free since 1999, although I only recently started to deal with it. I have set up a new account with a standing order of £350 going straight into it for savings. This is less than what I have been paying on my debt payments so its a win-win, I have an instant savings pot of £350 a month, and I also have a spare £100 or so each month than I had before to be frivolous with.

How come everyone else that posted on here got the debt free badge and I didn't :(:(
    Is it because it took me about 15 years to get around to having a lightbulb moment before actually paying it all off? :think:
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    indesisiv wrote: »
    How come everyone else that posted on here got the debt free badge and I didn't :(:(
    Is it because it took me about 15 years to get around to having a lightbulb moment before actually paying it all off? :think:

Because the badge badger seems to be on their holidays.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment - October 2010
    b. Debts at their highest £17,648
    c. Debt-Free Date 22nd November 2017
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom. - Forgive yourself.
    f. Which forum threads helped you - Most of them in one way or another.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment- mini spark 5th June 13, full ping- May 2017
    b. Debts at their highest- 21k
    c. Debt-Free Date- 1.03.2018
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom.- keep going- even small amounts paid over soon add up& even if you fall off the wagon, jump back on and keep going.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you- all the debt free diaries helped
    f. Which forum threads helped you- the challenges, 1% grid, make £10 a day. but also other dfw sharing advise and support- that really helped.
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW): https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5556435&page=2 - last diary, i had a few attempts and diaries :D:D:D:D
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment - 16th August 2016
    b. Debts at their highest - £13,100
    c. Debt-Free Date - 1st May 2018
    d. Your one perl of wisdom - Communicate communicate communicate

Now not a single penny in debt, credit file looking way better with just one old default, a good Amex and VISA credit card all under control and £10k in savings. Massive weight off my shoulders. Best bit of advice, deal with stuff head on and communicate with those you owe money too. Far better to keep in touch rather than hide. Makes a world of difference to your anxiety levels.
  • buyhighselllow
    buyhighselllow Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I paid off my mortgage 4 years ago age 46, even after having an extension to the house I doubled my repayments but not the term I completed my payments 6 years early.

I finally stopped taking out loans on our cars about 20 years ago and since them only buy when I have saved enough, keeping them on average 10 years.
    No Credit card debt.

Firm believer in living below my means, saving hard for retirement.

Any chance of a badge ?
    Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016 :beer:
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Debt-Free no longer Wannabee. :j

Please report

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    When I got charged for being overdrawn
    b. Debts at their highest
    £95,000
    c. Debt-Free Date
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Keep a spread sheet of your income and expenditure
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    N/A
    f. Which forum threads helped you
    N/A
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it N/A
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • I'm not debt free yet, but I hit a milestone of 50% and felt I needed to celebrate somewhere! I remember a thread in the past called the milestone inn, but couldn't locate it.

I can't wait to be here next year and join you all in being debt free. Well done to everyone who has achieved it!
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Minx1986
    Minx1986 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    When I started to struggle month to month to eat, all the bills were being paid, but i was starving!
    £27,000
    c. Debt-Free Date
    TODAY - 26/05-2018 - The last payment of my consolidated loan, went today!
    Keep your income and expenses written down and try to plan fun things...and where possible use cashback sites/clubcard vouchers etc, to make those fun things happen. Get rewarded for treating yourself when hitting milestones and it will give you the strength to persevere!
    TOO MANY!
    TOO MANY! - Loans/Credit Cards/Thrifty Shopping
    g. No debt diary!
    26/05/2018 = I DID IT! I am DEBT FREE!
    Debts repaid since 06/02/2015 = £23,079
    Mortgage...forever!!!! - But who cares, when all I've ever wanted is my own place!:j
  • duskerwho
    duskerwho Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Today I finally pulled myself out of the well of debt. It's such a nice feeling :)

It was at some point last year when I realised i was stuck in a cycle of increasing debt. I had told myself it was fine because it was all on 0% deals, but the debt only got bigger. I went at it with real zeal from about September last year.

£9000

c. Debt-Free Date
    29/05/2018

Keep track of the figure you owe and celebrate (in a small, free way) every time you pay something off not matter how small. I think it's important to feel like your making progress, even if it's slower than you'd like sometimes.

I don't have any particular links, but checking the board frequently helped me a lot in terms of inspiration and motivation. It's been great to read others helping others out and it's galvanising to know you're not alone and others have got through it.

See above really!

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it
    I didn't.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure