Odd letter from new owner of a car

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just thought after a year it seemed a bit odd. The car is a Fiat Panda and it was sold at auction.
    Do you mean an original Panda, or the modern one?

I'd be very surprised if the modern ones didn't come with transponder immobilisers and remote locking. It sounds as if the main key had been lost before you bought it, leaving you with the backup non-remote one.

The master key system was older - my Alfa 155 came with the "DO NOT WHATEVER YOU DO LOSE THIS" blue key, and two red everyday ones, back in 1997.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A replacement key also costs more than a few pounds
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    Ive only bought from a dealer a few times and I’ve written to a few previous owners on the log book asking them did they have any serious faults or niggles etc and put my email address down and luckily they’ve said “faultless car, enjoy it,” etc etc..

If he’s put his address down then if you did have a key I can’t see why there shouldn’t be a problem posting it.

I don't get the point of this. Even if they sold it with major faults the dealer may well have repaired the vehicle so the information is literally useless.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cars are sold with 2 keys and often some other security key.

Having bought a car, you hope it will have both keys but it seems lots of people don't bother about fishing out spare keys from the man drawer.

Sensible enquiry as spare keys can cost a lot to replace, and also it isn't comfortable thinking that the previous owner has access to your car.

So sensible enquiry. Polite and friendly reply - perhaps explaining whether it was lost, never had one as bought with one key etc.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    A replacement key also costs more than a few pounds
    If it's only a basic key without a transponder chip in it (such as the one the OP stated was the type in question) then yes, in many cases, a replacement key can be purchased for only a few £s

http://www.keytrader.co.uk/Vehicle-Keys/Car-Keys/FIAT.html
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    IF it's transponder-less.

If we're talking about a modern (2004-on, facelifted in 2012) Panda, then it won't be.
    If we're talking about an original (1980s), then it will be.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    Reply to them nicely, asking them to email you a scan of the V5 (don't forget to give them your email address, or ask them to use Royal Mail). I wouldn't be posting a car key off to someone claiming they had bought the car without seeing the address they wanted the key posted to on the V5.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Reply to them nicely, asking them to email you a scan of the V5 (don't forget to give them your email address, or ask them to use Royal Mail). I wouldn't be posting a car key off to someone claiming they had bought the car without seeing the address they wanted the key posted to on the V5.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a suspicious mind.

If they don't want to send a copy(which is their right) no key from me.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Do you actually have the spare key?
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Years ago I bought a second hand Subaru Impreza from a dealer. It didn't come with remote central locking as standard, but someone had fitted an after-market alarm/immobiliser that added the feature to an extra fob on the keyring.

What I didn't realise at the time, was as well as the two remotes, and a key to disable the alarm box under the bonnet, there was supposed to be a little doodad that could disarm the system from the drivers seat by touching it against a contact point added to the dash (for use if the battery in the remote failed etc)

The dealer I bought it from claimed no knowledge of it, so I wrote to the previous keeper asking if they still had it (or even if they got it when they bought it). They confirmed they'd handed it over, including a description of it and the name of the employee they'd given it to, which was enough to get the dealer to have a proper look and actually find it and hand it over.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure