outlook

Morning All,
Uncle who lives miles away from me and is 80yr old, has Outlook on his new laptop, he tells me this morning he can receive emails but cant send them. When I was last down with him all was working fine, any idea what he may have done to cause the problem as he does fiddle with things that he shouldn't do?

He also has terrible eye sight, me not being very thechie and not an Outlook user don't know what has gone wrong.

Any ideas much appreciated?

Regards Smudger

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It may have something to do with his email account's SMTP settings, especially password.

You need to find the documentation from his email provider (ISP?) about how to set up Outlook.

Maybe you can remote-control his PC with TeamViewer - if he can install it his end as well...
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    if he is using the outlook app in win10 there is not a lot to break. when you log into win10 you also log into your emails. if he is receiving them i can't see how he can't send.

as john gray says easiest way is to connect remotely to his laptop and check all settings
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Do you mean Outlook the programme and e-mail client or do you mean Outlook.com the e-mail service?
  • smudger1946
    smudger1946 Posts: 645 Forumite
    He has just switched to PlusNet, maybe there be the problem!
    Outlook e.mail service is the answer to one of the questions.
    Thanks for all your help and advice I will have to go down to him and use the advise offered by you very clever lot. If in doubt ask on MSE site I say.
    Great site and help.
    Regards Smudger
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is the email is trying to use run by his previous ISP? If so they may well allow read access from another network but not allow to send.
  • Plus net online support is fairly good with guides etc.
    Have a look here

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/#general-email-help
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2017 at 10:34PM
    Outlook e.mail service is the answer to one of the questions.
    Thanks for all your help and advice I will have to go down to him and use the advise offered by you very clever lot. If in doubt ask on MSE site I say.
    Great site and help.
    Regards Smudger

Hi Smudger

The outlook webmail service (previously known as Hotmail) is different to the Outlook Mail programme that comes with some PC's as part of Office.

Normally with Outlook webmail you just login and it sends mail without problem except if you suddenly change country (e.g. if you leave a VPN on that says you are in Russia).

This makes me wonder if your uncle is still using a mail client such as Outlook or Windows Mail on hos computer and that it is configured with a different port or encryption as I suggested in my earlier post.

Now I remember when I was with Plusnet they were very fussy about people sending mail through servers via relay, (pretending to be from one server when you are actually on another) because that is what spammers used to do.

Some ISP's have a oneclick install for email and their settings go via their servers, Plusnet would not like this, so would want you to set it to go via Plusnet.

Have a look at my earlier post and see if you can make it make sense for him.

Do feel free to post back here if you need more help.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i am confused. if he has a outlook.com email and is logged into windows can't he just open the mail app and send/receive emails?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    i am confused. if he has a outlook.com email and is logged into windows can't he just open the mail app and send/receive emails?
    (Guessing...) "he has Outlook on his new laptop" so guess he wants to use Outlook and not everyone logs into Windows 10 with their Windows 10 email.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • smudger1946
    smudger1946 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Thank you all, will pass info on and try to get down to him to help.

Smudger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport