Parking Dispute

Options

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't read this thread, far too long with many useless posts.

But OP, what is the situation now?
    Have you established who actually owns the freehold of the land the visitor parking spaces are on?
    It should be relatively easy by buying the title plans of all the properties adjoining the spaces.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    Can you not just come to some compromise?

When a visitor space is required either (a) ask the neighbours to move their vehicle or (b) get your visitor to park somewhere else? (possibly in front of the offenders house?!).

Alternatively, if you are feeling antagonistic (and judging from your comments it looks like you could kinda be that person) then buying a couple of scooters and parking them semi-permanently in the visitors spaces is not a bad idea. I had the thought that a couple of old bangers sat occupying the spaces that could be moved but scooters are better as can be moved far more easily. Not great for long term relations.

Coming to a decent compromise is the best idea.

Also, you have turned this into a moral crusade, whether you believe you have or not.

A compromise in all honesty may be the best solution and I am willing to do that as long as they are but will see.

There are other ways as you say to block the spaces but I am not going to go that far despite what impression I may have given.

I suppose you can call me a Moral Crusader or whatever word comes to mind as I do not mind but I have my morals and I am not the person to sit there and do nothing when someones morals are that low they do not think of others.

Thanks for the idea anyway on the scooters
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    craig1123 wrote: »
    Check that the vehicles are taxed. Not sure if you are able to check if they have business insurance at all.

They use them everyday so would presume they are but worth a check, cheers
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    OP, as you have found, responding to the idiots who are simply looking for a response just keeps them posting. The sad little people are only posting to get a reaction, stop feeding them.

You're right to be angry about this, and personally I'd get a parking management company in asap.

What would I do? I'd be parking on their drive.

I agree as it is what feeds them as they are just sad lonely people who cannot get enjoyment outside of social media. I suppose I bite too easily as I react the same as I would if I was face to face with these people in a pub for instance but then we all know they would not be saying any of this to peoples faces but thanks for the advice and really need to listen to it
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    They use them everyday so would presume they are but worth a check, cheers

Not worth it, if they need tax to park in the bays them anyone can use them.
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    You have referred to your estate having a management company. Do you pay them a fee for their services? If so maybe you could ask them to take up this issue.

No someone else said about management company I think. My estate was built by miller new builds but they are gone but have emailed them to see if they can help as I do not pay anyone a fee now so not sure who governs the estate if anyone
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    New Guy, I've read through this whole thread and I would suggest you need to have a long think about how it is affecting you, and whether the fight is worth it. If them parking in the visitor spaces causes problems on a regular basis, then maybe you have a point. If it's an infrequent annoyance, I would have suggested speaking to the offending people, and coming to a compromise where you won't get annoyed if they park there, so long as they agree to move their vehicle as and when they may be required by genuine visitors.
    From your summary of the conversation with the van owner, it sounds like his view is that he parks there because the spaces are usually empty and he hasn't got room on his driveway. Seems reasonable to park in a usually empty parking space rather than parking on the access road, but they should be reasonable and not park there, or agree to move, if they are required by visitors to the properties they are allocated to. By the way, I wouldn't waste the ink on making signs - doesn't sound like they'll make any difference.
    I'd also consider counting your blessings - you've got a nice new house with your own 2 parking spaces - I have to park on the street, and if I get home from work after 5pm I'm lucky if I can park within 100m of my house, and sometimes not even in my street. Chill baby.

I do agree with you in that if I look at this from the point of view of how it affects me then it does not much as at the moment we have 1 car so always have a bay free. It is more affecting the other Neighbours at the moment but I suppose I have been the one who has aired the most about it not being right. The way I look at it is if I do not say something now and just let everyone else get irritated then when I go to 2 cars and start getting affected, do I really have a right to then jump on the band wagon.

Yes I agree the situation could be worse and I am grateful that we have 2 spaces as if we did not and had 2 cars which we will in the future then it would be a different story.

I think I have decided against the signs and I am going to talk to the neighbours again and decide what we think we should do and go from there.

I know people will view it as wrong but if they are not listening and keep parking there then I have no problem putting my own vehicle there and letting the other neighbours know they can use my spot for visitors. May not work out or make it worse but will see I suppose

Thanks for the advice
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Well, I answered that in my original post, which you quoted:

It was just a pragmatic suggestion...

YES!! If it's another visitor, it's being used for the purpose intended. If it's a neighbour from round the corner, the space is being ABused.
    Replace 'visitor space' with 'disabled space' to amplify the point I'm making.
    There's a difference between a space with a badged car in it, and one without, isn't there?!

He had a face to face conversation already with the miscreant. It didn't go well.

I am glad there are people who see my point, yes maybe not my actions but at least see my point of these people are doing wrong and as you say if it had a disabled badge and they did, then everyone would be in uproar over it.
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Haven't read this thread, far too long with many useless posts.

But OP, what is the situation now?
    Have you established who actually owns the freehold of the land the visitor parking spaces are on?
    It should be relatively easy by buying the title plans of all the properties adjoining the spaces.

Not really, I bought and downloaded the offending Neighbours plans and on our page where it says we have right of use of these visitor spaces, theirs has no mention of it at all so that is something but I presume still a grey area.

I have contacted Miller who built the properties to see what they say
  • New_Guy_2016
    Options
    Not worth it, if they need tax to park in the bays them anyone can use them.

Unlikely but if I did find out they had no tax then parking in visitor bays would be the least of their worries seen as they are driving around in these vehicles on a day to day basis. But I highly doubt they are doing that with both vehicles being business vehicles too as too much to lose
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure