PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GQ

There could be no better words spoken than those about your nan.
    I am so sorry about your loss but glad that you got to see her before the end.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Deepest condolences to you and your family GQ.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm very sorry to hear it, GreyQueen, and wish you lots of strength.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    So sorry GQ, my condolences, I hope your memories of your nan will see you through this sad time.x:grouphug:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • GQ, so sorry about your Nan. Glad you were able to get to see her and say your goodbye while she knew you were there. Love and hugs SP xx
    Note to self: I'm a human being, not a human doing! 😊
  • Tea_Lady
    Tea_Lady Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Deepest condolences to you and your family GQ.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Deepest condolences GQ. Lovely epitaph x
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Dropping a box of stuff off at CS this morning (added 5 bowls to it yesterday) along with a bag for ragging (I have enough H&M vouchers at the mo - the CS can have this lot so it's not sitting around for ages!)

Listed 3 more things on fleabay last night. Going to hopefully list a couple more today and get the children to have a last scout around their rooms of anything they don't want for the NNS next weekend - as they get the money for any books/ toys etc sold they are usually reasonably happy to do this (I get the money for clothes and equipment)

Other than that, my KM plans today are only planting some cyclamens and washing out the pots for my mum to take to GC for recycling on her next visit - will see her either tomorrow or (more likely) Tues, so they won't be hanging around long :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Sorry for your loss GQ and glad you got to say goodbye x

Floss wrote: »
    The numbers that are selected by ERNIE are the holders' numbers, not the individual bond numbers, so me & GQ have just as much chance as any mega investor. And just as a completely random fact, I drive past ERNIE every time I drive onto the M55 to escape from home!

According to their website:

The clever bit

Ernie 4 generates Bond numbers completely at random, no matter how long. So every Bond number, whether it has 8, 9, 10 or 11 digits has a separate and equal chance of winning a prize.
    So it is the Bond numbers, not holders numbers, that are matched. Please give him a cheery wave from me and tell him I haven't forgotten him, even if he does seem to have forgotten me :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :o Thank you, all.

As a family, we are readying ourselves to absorb the contents of one two-bedroom bungalow, two small outbuildings and two sheds, one large one very small, into our respective homes. With some overflow to charitable donation and some items, regrettably, having died in storage.

Definately deceased is one mostly plywood small COD-wardrobe combo, which was bought by my parents in the 1970s (secondhand) and which eventually ended up with Nan. The bits which aren't ply are woodworm fodder. We will ensure that the mirror part of this unit is homed/ recycled.

Cousin and her hubby are confident that they can take the big shed, plus the corrugated iron roof of the little lean-to shed, and make use of them at their home. Some garden and general tools have also gone. The lawn mower has been promised to a neighbour, once we've finished clearing the bungalow and the garden has been given its last tidy-round.

Small appliances are being given here and there within the family, although most of them cannot leave the home until the clearout has finished. Clothing and footwear are being shared. There are some slightly humourous finds already, such as a pair of 'new' slippers, totally unworn, belonging to my late Grandad, who died 17 years ago. They are now going to be used by his son, my Dad.

Of the paperwork, some items need careful consideration as they relate to family history and have been in Nan's keeping since the death of her own parents in the early 1970s. Others are things which don't require much thought, such as old brochures and such like, which can hit the recycling stream without angst.

Plans are afoot to get the older family photos copied and shared among the extended family and, importantly, labelled. Whilst the people who know these faces and on which occasions the photos were taken are still here to tell us who they are.

The bulk of the furniture cannot be absorbed into other people's homes and will be offered to charity, once having eliminated such items as the worm-eaten COD-wardrobe combi.

Fortunately for all of us, this is not a hoarded home. Nan was not materialistic and didn't like a lot of Stuff. Yes, there are knick-knacks and ornaments, many of them gifts from family over the years, but they are a minor part of the whole.

As I was saying to my parents recently, every single thing has to be taken out of there in the next few weeks, whether we sort it immediately or sort it slowly. Countless decisions will have to be made. What to do with towels and teatowels and bedlinen? The crockery and saucepans? The bigger appliances like the washer and fridge-freezer and cooker?

The cacti on the windowsills and the planters outside. The bird table and bird feeders, the buckets and mops and all the stuff of a household.

One blessing is that Aunt lives about 50 yards away and has a completely empty garage, so some things can rest in there whilst the final stages of the sorting/ rehoming project are completed. A life-long villager, she knows a lot of people and is able to get some things to suitable homes by asking around on the grapevine.

As with all council tenancies, the landlord will have to serve notice on the executors, which is a 4-week notice period, then the keys will go back to them and the property can be allocated out to someone else in need of a home.

We'll still visit this little cul-de-sac, as other relations live on it, but it will be beyond strange to see other people living there. There are pictures of me and brother and cousins on that lawn in our prams, with Mum and Aunt as young women in their twenties, and then another generation, and then another, the babies of the early1960s now in their fifties.

I hope that the new people will love that garden, and will relish the lilacs by the gable end, which were truly glorious in 2016, but I won't miss raking moss out of that lawn..........:)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills