Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 20th Jun 19, 3:29 PM
    • 3,174Posts
    • 52,859Thanks
    kazmeister
    Dental costs for full time student
    • 20th Jun 19, 3:29 PM
    Dental costs for full time student 20th Jun 19 at 3:29 PM
    Hi, please can anyone advise whether students have to pay for NHS treatment. My daughter has just come back from her new dentist to be advised she needs 9 fillings! She has always attended her check ups and didn’t need anything doing for a couple of years. Her check up was only late as our previous dentist was tragically killed in an accident. They have also told her she might need root canal treatment on one tooth. I am shocked by this as I have recently been told the same (albeit I was suffering pain) and I question whether they might just be going for big money treatments. I know my treatment (private) is in the region of £900 and she does not have the money from her student loan and summer job. She has an estimate for £62.10 for one amalgam filling so is looking at a huge amount if she has to pay this for each of 9.
    I should add that she is FT student age 20
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th Jun 19, 3:38 PM
    • 35,220 Posts
    • 41,280 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 20th Jun 19, 3:38 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 3:38 PM
    Yes unless they meet any of the criteria here

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-dental-costs/

£62.10 is the standard band 2 charge , per filling
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • busybee100
    • By busybee100 20th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    busybee100
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    Get a HC1 form. I would also want a second opinion with a different dentist.

• kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 20th Jun 19, 4:03 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 52,859 Thanks
    kazmeister
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:03 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:03 PM
    She doesn’t have £558 to her name
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 20th Jun 19, 4:16 PM
    • 27,196 Posts
    • 325,334 Thanks
    davemorton
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:16 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:16 PM
    If she is at uni and living away from home, then so long as she earns under the threshold, she may be due for help. If she is at home, I believe they take your earnings into account.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 20th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 52,859 Thanks
    kazmeister
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    If she is at uni and living away from home, then so long as she earns under the threshold, she may be due for help. If she is at home, I believe they take your earnings into account.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    She is living away from home but is home for the summer. Her income is definitely under the threshold!
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 20th Jun 19, 4:50 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 52,859 Thanks
    kazmeister
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:50 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:50 PM
    Get a HC1 form. I would also want a second opinion with a different dentist.
    Originally posted by busybee100
    Do you know how she can get that?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Jun 19, 6:04 PM
    • 6,709 Posts
    • 5,034 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:04 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:04 PM
    Do you know how she can get that?
    Originally posted by kazmeister

Click on the link quoted above for details of dental charges and there is also a link to apply for forms
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 20th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    Most students will not get free dental treatment as , unfortunately , their student loan is counted as income, but yes fill in a hc1 form to check.

On the NHS in England a band two payment of £62.10 will cover the cost of all fillings and root fillings, it is not per filling. So for this number of fillings and root filling the dentist will actually be losing money, there is no incentive on theNHS to do lots of work.

Your daughter needs to look at her diet urgently. Does she drink a lot of energy drinks or smoothies or fruit teas ? She needs to discuss with her dentist the changes she needs to make to her diet.
    • cakey456
    • By cakey456 20th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cakey456
    NHS Dentist, Band 2: £62.10
    Covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
    This charge covers the cost of the COURSE of treatment which could be one or six fillings.
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 20th Jun 19, 10:11 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 52,859 Thanks
    kazmeister
    Most students will not get free dental treatment as , unfortunately , their student loan is counted as income, but yes fill in a hc1 form to check.

On the NHS in England a band two payment of £62.10 will cover the cost of all fillings and root fillings, it is not per filling. So for this number of fillings and root filling the dentist will actually be losing money, there is no incentive on theNHS to do lots of work.

Your daughter needs to look at her diet urgently. Does she drink a lot of energy drinks or smoothies or fruit teas ? She needs to discuss with her dentist the changes she needs to make to her diet.
    Originally posted by brook2jack
    Thank you. She doesn’t drink anything excessively, perhaps coffee but I don’t think she has sugar so I will get her to talk to the dentist again
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 20th Jun 19, 10:46 PM
    • 36,565 Posts
    • 47,157 Thanks
    McKneff
    Yes unless they meet any of the criteria here

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-dental-costs/

£62.10 is the standard band 2 charge , per filling
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    As far as i know it is not per filling, it is per treatment,
    1 filling or 10 fillings it is still band 2 and £62.00 plus for the treatment
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 21st Jun 19, 8:49 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    Newly retired
    Is there a dental school at her university, or your local university? She may be able to get work done there for free or reduced charges?

Whilst we are talking about charges, I am feeling a bit miffed as my new dentist did not do a scale and polish. She did a check up and then I returned for a filling, but was not offered a scale and polish. I thought it was part of Band One, never mind Band Two which I paid.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 21st Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 9,117 Posts
    • 10,964 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    As far as i know it is not per filling, it is per treatment,
    1 filling or 10 fillings it is still band 2 and £62.00 plus for the treatment
    Originally posted by McKneff
    This is correct - a Band 2 NHS charge is for all fillings (And root fillings and extractions) needed in that course of treatment. Not per filling, or per item.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 21st Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    Is there a dental school at her university, or your local university? She may be able to get work done there for free or reduced charges?
    Originally posted by Newly retired
    I was going to suggest this as well. When I was at University, I always went to the dental school. Work was always well supervised, and students were allowed to do more complex work as they progressed through their course. If you were lucky, you were used for a demonstration and the person doing the work was a senior teaching dentist. It was years ago, so can't remember, but I think it was free.
    A Clutter Free Life - 2019 in 2019 - 319/2019
    Boost your income (34) - £2019 in 2019 - £73/£2019
    ...I figure it's taken a long time to accumulate all this carp so it'll take a while to get rid of it too.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 21st Jun 19, 11:38 AM
    • 9,117 Posts
    • 10,964 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    It would be free - but it would take ages to get through the system and actually become a patient. Plus - with budgets as they are, it's a lot harder to become a patient in these places these days.

With 9 fillings to do - she needs to get into a dentist and be treated. The holes won't be getting any smaller.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • birdie hop
    • By birdie hop 21st Jun 19, 2:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    birdie hop
    As above, full-time student status does not automatically exempt you from dentist and prescription costs, she would need to obtain the low-income certificate.

Do you know how long it's been since she last visited a dentist? Nine fillings does sound like an awful lot! It's unlikely she'd go from having a healthy set of teeth to needing 9 fillings in the space of 6 months to a year. (Our dental practice insists on NHS patients going every 6 months or they risk losing their place, presumably for this reason) so unless she's been really negligent, eg not been to the dentist for years on end, I think I'd be inclined to get a second opinion.
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 21st Jun 19, 5:10 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 52,859 Thanks
    kazmeister
    As above, full-time student status does not automatically exempt you from dentist and prescription costs, she would need to obtain the low-income certificate.

Do you know how long it's been since she last visited a dentist? Nine fillings does sound like an awful lot! It's unlikely she'd go from having a healthy set of teeth to needing 9 fillings in the space of 6 months to a year. (Our dental practice insists on NHS patients going every 6 months or they risk losing their place, presumably for this reason) so unless she's been really negligent, eg not been to the dentist for years on end, I think I'd be inclined to get a second opinion.
    Originally posted by birdie hop
    She hasn’t been negligent as I made sure she attended her appointments, the only delay was due to her dentist death and having to wait until she could get an appointment when she was home again.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 21st Jun 19, 6:09 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    brook2jack
    It's not how often someone visits a dentist that's the problem , it's how often they eat or drink anything with sugar in that's the problem.

More than three sugar "attacks" a day and you get decay. It's not what you eat in your three daily meals it's what you eat or drink in between times that's a problem.

Sipping on energy drinks , sugar in tea or coffee, grazing rather than eating at mealtimes , drinking smoothies or protein shakes, nibbling on biscuits etc are a problem. Every time you take a bite or a sip of something sugary it takes an hour for the acid to finish attacking your teeth.

There is no incentive for a NHS dentist to overprescribe fillings, indeed they will lose money. More so if the decay is so bad it might need root treatment in one tooth.

It is quite common for students, once they leave the family home , to indulge in less than healthy eating and drinking habits . It is perfectly feasible to have many fillings appear in a short time , common reasons are switching to a non fluoride toothpaste or a change in diet eg drinking 5 lucozades a day .

Ops daughter should be concentrating on making the changes to her diet that are obviously needed to stop further problems.
    Last edited by brook2jack; 21-06-2019 at 6:11 PM.
    • birdie hop
    • By birdie hop 22nd Jun 19, 8:51 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    birdie hop
    OK points above noted, but I think I'd still be inclined to get a 2nd opinion. She would not have gone from needing zero work done to needing 9 fillings in a matter of months, I'm sorry.

It might be interesting to see what treatment, if any, another dentist, maybe at a different practice, thinks the lady needs. Of course they may say similar, but if they say she only needs a fraction of that work doing the OP can bear that in mind..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

606Posts Today

6,810Users online

Martin's Twitter