Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 16th Jun 19, 8:17 PM
    • 2,606Posts
    • 37,013Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th June 2019
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:17 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th June 2019 16th Jun 19 at 8:17 PM
    Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
    Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
    Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
    Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
    Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
    HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK - here goes this week...

Musty Monday ~ Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One...

Sweep and mop the floor
    Clear and wipe worksurfaces
    Level Two...
    Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
    Wipe dining table.. and check the underside.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
    Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
    Level Three...
    Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way roundÖ lightshades need doing!
    Sort your drawer of large cutlery things.. slotted spoons, spatulas.. clean out the drawer, flin the things you don't need/use and make it all neat and tidy!
    Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances
    Clean oven if you didn't do it last week

Extras
    • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
    • Thoroughly clean a cupboard or the drawers!
    • Put WM's/DW's on a 'clean' cycle.. make sure those doorseals and filters are clear.. soda crystals and white vinegar get rid of unpleasant smells and germs
    • 30 minutes ironing!!!
    • Wipe the inside of the unit doors
    • Empty the pan cupboard!! Sort those oven trays, tighten handles on pans.

Tantalising Tuesday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One...

Vacuum floors and sofas
    Level Two...
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter, making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
    Level Three...
    Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
    Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
    Change any dead lightbulbs!

Extras:
    • Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
    • Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
    • Clean a window or two.
    • Get yourself a bag or box, go around collecting things that are not in the place they should be, then put them back where they should be, or better still give them to their owners to put away themselves

Humpday Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One...

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
    Fling open the window and let in the summer!
    Level Two...
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs.. (make sure to do the bed base..!)
    Using a flour sieve, shake bicarbonate of soda evenly all over the mattress. Leave for a few hours and then hoover it all off. {It will lift any nasty smells or odours}
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen
    Level Three...
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Clean lightshade, and remove dead insects...
    Extras...
    • Wipe down lightswitches
    • 37 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Sort through someone's wardrobe.. what can you fling?
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    • Clear a box of clutter from the landing
    • Make any necessary phone calls
    • Replace any dead lightbulbs with ones that work
    • Sort out your airing cupboard if you have finished all your jobs

Tantalising Thursday ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One...

Clear floors of guff and stuff
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!! (baby wipes are fantastic for this!!)
    Level Two...
    Wipe keyboard, house phone and mouse (these usually have more germs on than your toilet so important)..
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains, shower curtains etc
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
    Collect all the dirty laundry
    Level Three...
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks
    Clean shower screen/curtain/bath mats if you have one/if required
    Clean the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I donít want anyone electrocuted!!

Extras...
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Wipe down 2 doors.. room doors.. both sides
    • Sort a wardrobe or part of, a drawer or set of drawers making sure it has what needs to be in it and any 'extras' are put where they should be and anything no longer needed is "rehomed".
    • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
    • Replace any sponges, flannels, toiletries that need it

Fandabidozy Friday ~Childrens rooms and spare rooms
    Level One...
    Clear the floor
    Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
    Deweb and fluff the room
    Level Two...
    Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Drag the stuff from under the beds and place it in it's proper homes!
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Donít forget the light shade!!
    Level Three...
    Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors

Extras...
    • Wash a set of curtains, nets or throw
    • Time for the Friday Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! aim for 27.. if no toy box youíll have to choose another area!
    • 30 minutes ironing
    • Clean any tv's, pc's playstations in the room
    • 15 minutes filing!
    • Spend at least half an hour doing something just for yourself.. a nice bath, a manicure.. just your time! Make that appointment to have your hair done!!
    Last edited by Natty68; 20-06-2019 at 8:54 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 3
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 19th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 31,644 Thanks
    dancemum
    Hope your migraine doesn’t appear Ionafan x

Dailies done
    New bird feeders purchased as our squirrel family (mum, Dad and twins)have chewed the others.
    Dentist visited all ok next one in 6 months
    Dancegran visited
    Prescriptions collected
    Ashes scattering part 1 appointment booked
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 20th Jun 19, 6:35 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Morning all

Quiet here, hoping everyone is ok.
    Later start for me today, I did not sleep at all well last night and feel shattered... but at least the sun is shining at the moment!
    Just having tea and breakfast and then will make a start on the dailies. WM is swishing but that’s all I’ve managed so far.

Have a good day all x
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 20th Jun 19, 6:57 AM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning all.
    Meh day yesterday. Iím hoping for a better one today.
    One cs bag has left the house this morning, to be followed shortly by a box of books.
    DDís bed has been changed as she is out all day at her new 6th form.
    WM has run a quick load through but there are still 2 piles waiting in the floor and a full binload. Iíll get another load through after work. QHI done earlier this morning.
    15 minutes before I have to leave so I guess that I can S&S the bathroom.
    Hope the migraine vanished Iona.
    Have a good day all.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 20th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    • 10,728 Posts
    • 129,219 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Sun is out
    WM done, clothesout on line
    Downstairs all hoovered
    Bins done
    Machine walk done
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! IT IS ON HOLD OWING TO AN ACCIDENT- 20 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 20th Jun 19, 9:19 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,251 Thanks
    ionafan
    Well, there I was, just about to step into the shower [image censored ], when I looked up and spotted that the screws in both the rollers on the top of one of the sliding doors were very loose and the whole thing could fall on me at any moment. Grabbed dressing gown, raced downstairs for screwdriver and small stepladder, raced back up and spent the next half hour removing the door, tightening the screws, cleaning the bits of the rails that I can't normally reach, and putting the door back, then repeating on the other side. All is now safe, and the doors shut properly - result!

Kitchen S&S'd, bathroom will be done when DH has finished in there.

To do today:
    - umpteen phonecalls
    - about 60 thank-you letters
    - 14 congratulations cards for college friends as they graduate
    - post office and corner shop
    - create an application form
    - mow lawn and trim edges
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 20th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Hi all

Dailies done
    Washing on line although keeping a close eye on the weather as black clouds overhead!
    Office and spare room hoovered
    Hoovered top flight of stairs
    Lunch scoffed
    Back to work now, will do some more flying once I finish for the day...

Back later x
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 20th Jun 19, 4:40 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 31,644 Thanks
    dancemum
    Well done Iona glad you have safe doors now. X

Dailies done
    Both of DH’s coffee machines taken apart and washed.
    Bedroom window and mirrored wardrobe polished

Daily visit to dancegran completed

Met best friend in garden centre for lunch and bought some more bird should be called squirrel food.

DH has put the bins out

DS2 is ranting as the whole school were taken to a country park for a picnic
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 20th Jun 19, 7:02 PM
    • 5,749 Posts
    • 56,339 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I had a troublesome tooth drilled yesterday for root canal treatment. This evening I walked Layla and felt a bit faint when I got close to home, so I staggered the last 400 yards or so home, ate something to keep me going then finished off a small handful of leftover vegetable crisps we had left over. The tooth has just disintegrated. *sigh*

I really need to vacuum the stairs this evening, so I'm going to have to will myself to do that and then cook supper and all I want to do is just stop.
    Keeping it AF
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 20th Jun 19, 8:57 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Bathroom and en-suite scrubbed from top to bottom after work, all bins emptied for collection tomorrow. Supper cooked, eaten and clearing up done. S/s of kitchen and utility done. Just had nice bath in my clean room and am now flopped in chair!

Friday tomorrow thank goodness, have made menu plan and shop list so need to go to Mr T after work.

See you all tomorrow, hugs to those that need them x
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 21st Jun 19, 4:49 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    asparklyblonde
    Morning all, TFI Friday and it's SUNNY! Another day at the paid stuff but a 2pm finish today. I have already set the WM going with a load of whites, emptied the dishwasher, WUDUPA a few bits and fed the dog. Now to make myself look presentable for the day!

Big hugs to all, I hope the sun is shining for you xx
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 21st Jun 19, 6:23 AM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning all.
    Wm loaded for when DH gets home at lunchtime with a 2nd load queuing so that he doesnít get bored . HHI just done to make space for the next load.
    I managed to dust through yesterday but didnít make the vacuum cleaning as DD and I went out to wander the late night shops. It was nice to spend some time with her even if it did mean she came home with new ( but in the outlet sale) clothes.
    Full day at work today. Would rather be in the garden in the sun but at least it is Friday.
    Have a lovely day everyone.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 21st Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,251 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all

Ouch, Honey Bear!

To do today (includes some items carried forward from yesterday):

- email school and family
    - Call Protect instructions labels for phone handsets
    - print forms
    - letters to D and J
    - Post Office and corner shop (avoided queue last night!)
    - 60 Thank you letters
    - read 4 chapters and skim commentary
    - check family history printouts
    - mow and edge lawn
    - plant out beans
    - tidy back borders

DH wants my help to load the old TV into his car so that he can dispose of it
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 21st Jun 19, 9:02 AM
    • 10,728 Posts
    • 129,219 Thanks
    kazwookie
    So far
    Ironing done an d away
    Machine walk done
    Food shop done and away
    Email to accountant answered and sorted for now
    Thinking of a bike ride...............while the sun is out.
    Sun, Sea
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 21st Jun 19, 12:07 PM
    • 5,749 Posts
    • 56,339 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Morning all, TFI Friday and it's SUNNY! Another day at the paid stuff but a 2pm finish today. I have already set the WM going with a load of whites, emptied the dishwasher, WUDUPA a few bits and fed the dog. Now to make myself look presentable for the day!
    Originally posted by asparklyblonde
    Amazing, and all by 5.49am. *respect*
    (((Hugs))) for Dancemum and Mrs MP.

I sort of cooked last night but OH had to help me finish it off. I vacuumed the stairs this morning, got the washing in, put another load through the WM and did more tidying.

Also went to the dentist; there's an emergency filling on the tooth and I've got the Temazepam for use in 12 days time. It has to come out. I cheered myself up by buying three tops and a necklace in my favourite clothes shop called The Cut Label, which makes things I like very affordable.

Now to do two sets of minutes and then crack on with something fun.
    Keeping it AF
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 21st Jun 19, 4:39 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Hi all

Feeling rough today, have managed to drag myself through the paid stuff but it was a slog. Managed WM x 1 and dried on the line and a quick swipe of en suite but that’s it.... rest of it will have to be postponed until tomorrow although the house not looking too bad. DH will be dispatched to do the shop later this evening or in the morning.

Here’s hoping tomorrow is better...

Bye for now x
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 21st Jun 19, 10:53 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,251 Thanks
    ionafan
    Thank you letters done (2 different templates, personalised, printed, then topped and tailed by hand; envelope addressed by hand) = Frog eaten
    Lawn mown but not edged
    Forms delivered
    Corner shop visited
    Downstairs is tidy, upstairs looks better than it did yesterday.
    Things laid out ready for trip to Cathedral City tomorrow.

G'night all
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 22nd Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Morning all

Feeling better to day, have a list to tackle!
    WM x 1 swishing, I think that might be the first of many loads today, the forecast is nice and I want to get some throws and cushion covers washed as well, may well run out of line space before I run out of washing but will see how I go!
    Parcel to take to post office
    DH will do the supermarket shop
    Whole house needs a vac and a dust
    Lawn needs cutting
    General tidy in garden
    Make banana bread as have some bananas in the bowl that are well past their best!

Right, finish tea first and then shower and get on with it! Have a lovely day all x
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 22nd Jun 19, 7:30 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 11,916 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Morning

It's the first day of a week's Annual Leave I've been on my knees energy-wise for the past fortnight so paid work has been the priority spoon-wise and the house is even more than usual. Seriously cringe-worthy

However, DS is safely (I hope) ensconced in Bulgaria for the week so there's just me and Sweetie home alone and fluttering and flying is on the agenda. I showed my intent my sloshing bleach down the loo before I went to bed last night

It'll be teeny tiny baby steps today as I haven't magically re-energised over night - first job is to sort Mount Washmore in to separate loads. I say Mount Washmore - but I think I'm looking at the Himalaya of all laundry piles And that's before I've scooped up DS's floordrobe and stripped his bed. At least I'm excited about getting stuck in and not feeling overwhelmed

I'll set the first load swishing, go up and get washed and dressed, then bring down the floordrobe and bedding. Weather forecast has been checked and is favourable.

Seconds out. Round one.

Rxx
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 22nd Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    • 10,728 Posts
    • 129,219 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

Machine walk done

Odd atmosphere in house at the moment, it feels like I have done something wrong, all I 'think' I did was asked OH and house guest what they would like to eat tonight, I would rather cook something they like and something they will eat just because I cooked it.............neither could make thier minds up, so I said I would cook mac and cheese, I know they both hate it, so now one wants chilli, the other soup and rolls...........

Kitchen is done
    Off out volunteering for a couple of hours.

Have a good day
    Sun, Sea
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 22nd Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 11,916 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Got a bit carried away - I'm having a sit down with a cool drink!

Mount Washmore sorted in to loads
    Emptied DS's overnight bag and added to loads
    Towels/tea towels are swishing.
    Washed and dressed. Teeth not cleaned*
    Opened curtains and window in DS's room
    Rubbish put out and bin bags replaced
    Mountain of cardboard recycled
    Birds fed
    Clean laundry folded and airer put away

Didn't bring down floordrobe and bedding - traded them for DS's dressing gown, 3 drinks bottles, an empty can and an Easter egg box.

*Toothpaste appears to have gone on holiday to Bulgaria New tube of toothpaste, new soap and pack of t rolls placed at foot of stairs ready for next time I go up.

I can see kitchen floor and draining board now.

Rxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

2,812Users online

Martin's Twitter