Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 16th Jun 19, 8:17 PM
    • 2,606Posts
    • 37,013Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th June 2019
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:17 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 17th June 2019 16th Jun 19 at 8:17 PM
    Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
    Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
    Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
    Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.
    Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
    HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK - here goes this week...

Musty Monday ~ Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One...

Sweep and mop the floor
    Clear and wipe worksurfaces
    Level Two...
    Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
    Wipe dining table.. and check the underside.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
    Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
    Level Three...
    Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way roundÖ lightshades need doing!
    Sort your drawer of large cutlery things.. slotted spoons, spatulas.. clean out the drawer, flin the things you don't need/use and make it all neat and tidy!
    Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances
    Clean oven if you didn't do it last week

Extras
    • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
    • Thoroughly clean a cupboard or the drawers!
    • Put WM's/DW's on a 'clean' cycle.. make sure those doorseals and filters are clear.. soda crystals and white vinegar get rid of unpleasant smells and germs
    • 30 minutes ironing!!!
    • Wipe the inside of the unit doors
    • Empty the pan cupboard!! Sort those oven trays, tighten handles on pans.

Tantalising Tuesday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One...

Vacuum floors and sofas
    Level Two...
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter, making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
    Level Three...
    Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
    Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
    Change any dead lightbulbs!

Extras:
    • Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
    • Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself
    • Clean a window or two.
    • Get yourself a bag or box, go around collecting things that are not in the place they should be, then put them back where they should be, or better still give them to their owners to put away themselves

Humpday Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One...

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
    Fling open the window and let in the summer!
    Level Two...
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs.. (make sure to do the bed base..!)
    Using a flour sieve, shake bicarbonate of soda evenly all over the mattress. Leave for a few hours and then hoover it all off. {It will lift any nasty smells or odours}
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen
    Level Three...
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Clean lightshade, and remove dead insects...
    Extras...
    • Wipe down lightswitches
    • 37 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Sort through someone's wardrobe.. what can you fling?
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    • Clear a box of clutter from the landing
    • Make any necessary phone calls
    • Replace any dead lightbulbs with ones that work
    • Sort out your airing cupboard if you have finished all your jobs

Tantalising Thursday ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One...

Clear floors of guff and stuff
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!! (baby wipes are fantastic for this!!)
    Level Two...
    Wipe keyboard, house phone and mouse (these usually have more germs on than your toilet so important)..
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains, shower curtains etc
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
    Collect all the dirty laundry
    Level Three...
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks
    Clean shower screen/curtain/bath mats if you have one/if required
    Clean the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I donít want anyone electrocuted!!

Extras...
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Wipe down 2 doors.. room doors.. both sides
    • Sort a wardrobe or part of, a drawer or set of drawers making sure it has what needs to be in it and any 'extras' are put where they should be and anything no longer needed is "rehomed".
    • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
    • Replace any sponges, flannels, toiletries that need it

Fandabidozy Friday ~Childrens rooms and spare rooms
    Level One...
    Clear the floor
    Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
    Deweb and fluff the room
    Level Two...
    Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Drag the stuff from under the beds and place it in it's proper homes!
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Donít forget the light shade!!
    Level Three...
    Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors

Extras...
    • Wash a set of curtains, nets or throw
    • Time for the Friday Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! aim for 27.. if no toy box youíll have to choose another area!
    • 30 minutes ironing
    • Clean any tv's, pc's playstations in the room
    • 15 minutes filing!
    • Spend at least half an hour doing something just for yourself.. a nice bath, a manicure.. just your time! Make that appointment to have your hair done!!
    Last edited by Natty68; 20-06-2019 at 8:54 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 1
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 16th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    BadCat18
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    I’m in for the new week. Thanks for the thread.

Yay, I did my oven today and the fridge before I went shopping so looks like I have a head start!

DH also did the ironing this evening so that’s another thing gone from the list!

My work, home, personal list is done and it looks pretty hectic so glad to have a few things already ticked.

Hugs to those in need, catch you all tomorrow x
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 17th Jun 19, 5:53 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    BadCat18
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:53 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:53 AM
    Morning all, quiet here so far. Hope everybody is ok.

I am up, showered and breakfasted already, wm is swishing too.

Going to do an hour of paid stuff before an early meeting. Then I need to pop out to run a few errands for both work and me, aiming to do that at 9am so hope I can be out and back quickly.

Will do the dailies at lunchtime I think and then kitchen after work. DH will be working later for a meeting and I am out this evening so supper is salad and meats etc that were left from Saturday lunch.

Right, tea is slurped so I need to get to work.

Have a good day all x
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 17th Jun 19, 6:11 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    asparklyblonde
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:11 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:11 AM
    Morning all, running late so a quick one from me. Forgot to put dinner in SC so it's been a mad dash to do that. Work today but finishing early so I can collect kids from school. ASDA delivery tonight.

Have fab days all if anyone has any spare sun please send it my way!
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 17th Jun 19, 6:30 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 12,733 Thanks
    Fayolle
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:30 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:30 AM
    Morning all.
    Iím in again please. Thank you Jazee for last week and Natty for this weekís lists.

Ticking a few off the list - kitchen floor mopped at the weekend, just done HHI. Iíll sort the fridge out when I get home from work this evening. WM loaded with towels for DH to switch on when he gets home.
    Sorry ASB - no sign of sunshine here either.
    Have a lovely day everyone. Catch up with you later.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Jun 19, 6:33 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 59,935 Thanks
    Jazee
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:33 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:33 AM
    Morning everyone. Thanks for the list. I'm in.

Today- dog walk, dailies, dust living room, quick hoover through, change bedding, take dogs to groomer, meet up with friends and weeding. And maybe something from the list

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 July £484.42 Total 2019 - £3270.01/£5k
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 17th Jun 19, 7:16 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,251 Thanks
    ionafan
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:16 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:16 AM
    Morning all

Back improving with care: I managed to plant out a dozen alpines in the raised bed yesterday afternoon and walked about 200 yards further with Rosie than I had done for a week (still not back up to speed, though). It's a long haul.

Tidied round last night so that downstairs is ready for cleaning, once SH has removed his two piles of clutter.

Today I need to:

Persuade DH to get out of bed and make breakfast
    Dust/hoover/clean DR, LR and downstairs BR+ensuite
    Clear and wipe kitchen work surfaces and door/drawer fronts and handles
    Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
    Wipe kitchen table and chairs
    Hoover and steam mop the floor
    Tidy and clean the utility, including FUPA the clean dry socks
    5MI (about 3 items)
    Water houseplants
    Persuade DH to help me put the old TV in his car - he can dispose of it tomorrow, but after having it sitting in the utility for 3 months I need it out of my way today. It's very big... and he still loves it, even though it doesn't work
    Get out cups/saucers/plates for fundraising event this afternoon
    Pop to the corner shop to buy milk, hard margarine and GF flour
    Bake cheese scones

Meanwhile, hopefully DH will have got the garden railway working, then the Old Wives can raise lots of money for charity this afternoon and evening

And ... I have just achieved the first item on the list

Hope everyone has a good day xx
    • Valli
    • By Valli 17th Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    • 21,153 Posts
    • 239,294 Thanks
    Valli
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    Morning all

I need to be excused flying. I fell and badly bruised my left side, including my ribs. Rather proud of the bruising it is, though I says it as shouldn't, spectacular. I had a chest x ray to check the ribs and they're fine. But bending is uncomfortable.

So I'll just be doing laundry, cooking, pots really.

Happy Anniversary Natty & Dave.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 17th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,251 Thanks
    ionafan
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:30 AM
    Ouch, Valli! GWS vibes heading your way x

Updated list - if it's gone, it's done

Hoover all through downstairs
    Steam mop the kitchen floor
    Water houseplants
    Persuade DH to help me put the old TV in his car - he says he will do this later
    Get out cups/saucers/plates for fundraising event this afternoon
    Pop to the corner shop to buy milk, hard margarine and GF flour (checked and I've got plenty) and dried milk (forgot that on Saturday)
    Bake cheese scones

Getting there...
    • dan958
    • By dan958 17th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    dan958
    Deep clean the bathroom
    Clean the fridge
    Mop all floors
    Light clean of oven. It doesn't get used much.
    Dust all rooms
    Do the ironing

Luckiky, I live a 4 minute walk away from my work, so I go home in my lunchbreak. This gives me chance to do some odd-jobs in my break.
    Last edited by dan958; 17-06-2019 at 9:57 AM.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 17th Jun 19, 9:53 AM
    • 5,752 Posts
    • 56,352 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    *Healing vibes* for both Ionafan and Valli.

I've sorted out the four urgent calls and emails that needed dealing with first thing and am now dealing with all the rest of the sorting, tidying, folding, putting away, filing and finishing that didn't get done yesterday.

No sun here; it's overcast, still and humid; sticky knicker weather as it's known in the family.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Jun 19, 11:11 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 59,935 Thanks
    Jazee
    Jobs on my list are done except for meeting with friends, that's later, and weeding - it's raining.

I'll start working my way up the list.

Hope both Iona and Valli are back on form soon.
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 17th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Hi all

Quick update...

Dailies done
    Washing out on line taking the chance that it won’t rain! It’s breezy but also overcast and quite sticky feeling, more rain on the way apparently!
    Errands run
    2 calls ticked off list
    Morning of paid stuff done
    Lunch scoffed!
    Back to paid stuff now, then I will fly through the kitchen before going out this evening.

Get well vibes to all the poorlies, see you later x
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 17th Jun 19, 1:11 PM
    • 37,025 Posts
    • 476,163 Thanks
    pigpen
    ty for fred.. back in a bit
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    09/07/2019 £49955.43 (2.41% int.)
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 17th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 39,251 Thanks
    ionafan
    All my list completed except putting the TV in DH's car - he can hardly walk today, and it is more important that he should get the trains running.

The best scones I've ever made, to the Natonal Trust recipe but much cheaper than they charge [nom-nom] - also did some GF plain ones which have come out very light

Only downside is that backache has returned, and I need to take Rosie for a walk in the enxt hour. Dosed up on parrots, and waiting for them to take effect.

I am trying to get through to my energy supplier to pay off a debit before switching, and the holding "music" is absolutely awful, mindless and repetitive - presumably designed to get me to do everything via their website
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Jun 19, 3:00 PM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 59,935 Thanks
    Jazee
    From the list I have wiped the insides of the cupboards and sorted the pan cupboard. Caught up with friends and took the dogs for another short walk.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th Jun 19, 4:10 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 129,237 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Thank you for all the lists

Running late today

Walking is done
    Volunteering is done
    WM x 3 done out on line first thing, now dry folded and in airing cupboard.
    Photos of cat taken but they won't load on to my laptop, so pondering what to do about it.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 12 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 17th Jun 19, 4:22 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Work done
    Kitchen and dining room level one and two done... plus oven done yesterday!
    Washing dried on line for the first time in what feels like weeks! Black clouds overhead now though and rain forecast for tomorrow, it is quite humid and sticky feeling here still.
    Having a quick internet catch up and then will have a light supper and a quick shower before heading out for the evening.
    Have a lovely evening all x
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 17th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 12,733 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Grrrrr. Just lost a post.

GWS wishes to Ionafan and Valli.

Level 1 and 2 done in the kitchen. DR has to wait as DH has moved into it and is using it as an office for the evening. Iíve done 2 sewing jobs that have been hanging around for ages, including refashioning something that DH bought me over 10 years ago and unworn into a summer dressing gown.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 17th Jun 19, 9:48 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 37,013 Thanks
    Natty68
    Morning all

I need to be excused flying. I fell and badly bruised my left side, including my ribs. Rather proud of the bruising it is, though I says it as shouldn't, spectacular. I had a chest x ray to check the ribs and they're fine. But bending is uncomfortable.

So I'll just be doing laundry, cooking, pots really.

Happy Anniversary Natty & Dave.
    Originally posted by Valli
    Valli only do the minimal of things hon, you rest up and get better.

And thank you so much for the anniversary wishes Had a lovely meal out tonight and am feeling spoilt and happy. Can't believe it was 30 years ago today I said I do, inbetween crying with hayfever, to Dave. It has gone so quick.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,674Users online

Martin's Twitter