Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 31st May 19, 9:28 AM
    • 1,079Posts
    • 7,108Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2019
    • 31st May 19, 9:28 AM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2019 31st May 19 at 9:28 AM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to pinkfluffybabe for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for February 2018 and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
    July 2017
    August 2017
    September 2017
    October 2017
    November 2017
    December 2017
    January 2018
    February 2018
    March 2018
    April 2018
    May 2018
    June 2018
    July 2018
    August 2018
    September 2018
    October 2018
    November 2018
    December 2018
    January 2019
    February 2019
    March 2019
    April 2019
    May 2019
Page 2
    • VALM
    • By VALM 3rd Jun 19, 6:52 AM
    • 4,594 Posts
    • 40,818 Thanks
    VALM
    Great deal VAL, I was tempted, but none left without spf, I need and use a separate spf of 40/50 because of medication and also acid toning and gentle retinol products. I have no PCMC left, altho' have lots of other moisturisers for the moment, on my last Elemis night cream too
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    I actually prefer the SPF version.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    2. Challenge member 55
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 3rd Jun 19, 10:13 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 7,108 Thanks
    sstevo19
    My first UU of the month:

Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum 5ml sample WNB as a full size. This didn't impress me. People rave about Drunk Elephant, but this was just so boring. I don't feel it offered any extra hydration to my skin, and I think it was causing me to get a bit of congested spots on my forehead.
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 3rd Jun 19, 2:01 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    Afternoon all

Another UU for me

Daisy edt 50ml. Like this fragrance and WBA.

GMAT
    Lost my way for a while but now back on board

Grocery challenge June 160.34/200, May 234.30/200
    2019 Fashion on the Ration 17/44
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 8
    • VALM
    • By VALM 3rd Jun 19, 2:14 PM
    • 4,594 Posts
    • 40,818 Thanks
    VALM
    I visited ALDI at lunch time to buy the Smashbox primer for my work colleague as it's her birthday at the end of the month and wanted to ensure I could get it. They now selling an Illuninating version as well but I picked her up the original and a Soy Serum.

For myself I got the Q10 serum which I love, the Retinol Toner and Rose oil. Well worth trying if they save me some money in the long run.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    2. Challenge member 55
    • kadison
    • By kadison 3rd Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 56,266 Thanks
    kadison
    I am trying to have a no-buy month this month, apart from essentials so it's a good thing that, though there are good offers on at Debenhams, my HG eye cream seems to be out of stock for the duration.

Then somewhere else sends me offers, then somewhere else, even if I unsubscribe to emails, it doesn't stop things popping up on Facebook and every other website!

Be strong Jess, be strong!!!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2018
    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it - Groucho Marx
    • ponypal
    • By ponypal 3rd Jun 19, 8:35 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    ponypal
    UU Crabtree and Evelyn La Source Seaweed Volumising Conditioner WNBA I don't think I have ever used anything from this brand before, the conditioner was alright but I'm not wowed by it.

Demoted the shampoo to use when shaving because it's horrible! It did nothing for my hair and I feel like it brought out scalp acne.
    Debt Free since December 2017
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 3rd Jun 19, 9:08 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 5,128 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    I went into tk maxx. Is the dangerous shop for me full of temptation and inspiration. It was packed with people today and so only could look at a few things. I got some soap and philosophy miracle worker mask. If I stayed any longer I would have bought more.

Aldi had new items I bought the rose oil. The primer had a lot of silicone and as I'm still panning my Mac one I gave it a miss. I'm not great with primers. The glow tonic I didn't get as it was alright but not like the real Pixy one so I will finish what I have.

I really wanted a new fancy shower gel but have 3 unopened and just couldn't add to the stash. I used some fancy face
    soap wash as a shower gel. It was so bubbly I knew that it would not suit my face.
    • MsM09
    • By MsM09 4th Jun 19, 7:10 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    MsM09
    May PP

Lush karma shower gel 250ml
    Sanctuary spa moisturiser 30ml
    Rose toner 30ml
    Barry m primer
    This works mask moist and prime
    Dirty dusting powder
    Wonderlash mascara

Benefit porefessional
    Conditioner x1
    Hand moisturiser (one of the many in my bag!)

May should have been better! I tried posting my empties a few times but my account has had some issues so it never uploaded. My stash is down to 223.

To add to the above for June:

Mitchum deodorant
    Super drug glycolic wipes
    1x shower gel
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 4th Jun 19, 9:04 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 5,128 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    I finished my moisturiser. Only five jars to use up.

I bought a beauty blender. It's frighteningly expensive but the also knock off caused a dire make up day. I was using the real techniques but have used it for a few months and has damage.

The aldi one made me look terrible. It didn't blend and all the makeup sat on my face like a Victoria wax doll. I was a horror. Bad day. The make up was an epic fail. I think the also sponge works well for max factor pan stick foundation. Modern foundation not so good.

It feels crazy to spend so much on a sponge but hopefully it might give more good days than bad.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 42,457 Thanks
    dolly84
    UU Crabtree and Evelyn La Source Seaweed Volumising Conditioner WNBA I don't think I have ever used anything from this brand before, the conditioner was alright but I'm not wowed by it.

Demoted the shampoo to use when shaving because it's horrible! It did nothing for my hair and I feel like it brought out scalp acne.
    Originally posted by ponypal

Funnily enough I really like this range, the shower gel and body lotion is a HG for me but I also liked the shampoo and conditioner.

I finished my moisturiser. Only five jars to use up.

I bought a beauty blender. It's frighteningly expensive but the also knock off caused a dire make up day. I was using the real techniques but have used it for a few months and has damage.

The aldi one made me look terrible. It didn't blend and all the makeup sat on my face like a Victoria wax doll. I was a horror. Bad day. The make up was an epic fail. I think the also sponge works well for max factor pan stick foundation. Modern foundation not so good.

It feels crazy to spend so much on a sponge but hopefully it might give more good days than bad.
    Originally posted by savingfortomorrow

It's weird isn't it, you would think a sponge would be a sponge. Hope it works for you.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 5th Jun 19, 7:57 AM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 42,457 Thanks
    dolly84
    uu

Revlon Equave Leave in Condtioner 500ml - one of these last me years, I used to buy them from Amazon but have been boycotting them for at least 4 years. Good value and WMBA.

Philosophy Pure Grace Shower Gel 480ml - loved this. The body lotion and perfume are still going.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • kadison
    • By kadison 5th Jun 19, 2:58 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 56,266 Thanks
    kadison
    Not an IN as I don't count sunscreen in my stash but I guess more of a recommendation.....

I bought the SPF30 option of the Ultrasun TSV and I was very impressed by the sports gel (more of a liquid gel) in Rome last year as we sweated profusely and were out in the blazing sun (with as much shade as we could give ourselves via hats etc.) each day with pale skin and neither of us went even vaguely pink from the sun!

Yes it smells strong but that soon goes and we loved not having to reapply, it isn't sticky and didn't make us sweat more.

Hope no-one minds me posting that!
    • asajj
    • By asajj 5th Jun 19, 8:36 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 12,450 Thanks
    asajj
    Ultrasun is indeed very good.

Thank you for the new thread.

Finish By Summer List
    TBS Wild Rose Hand Butter
    TBS Hemp Foot Protector
    Seven Seas Energetic You Supplements
    This Works Deep Sleep Cream

My June UU/PP List

Estee Lauder Lip conditioner
    Benefit Dandelion Blush
    Clarins Lip Oil - Tangerine
    Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Ecru

Will not need to buy in 2019
    Hair styling products
    Lipsticks
    Eyeshadows
    Shower gel ( I go to Zero Waste shop to refill)

5 out as I sold 2 x mascara (1 travel size), 1 lipgloss, 1 lipstick and 1 travel size face wash on Ebay. I have few more things listed but not sure if they will see this month.

I have bought No 7 hydraluminous foundation and the concealer. I especially like the foundation - doesn't go shiny and color match is really good. Perfect for the price. I'm currently using a stronger retinol so it helps with dryness too.
    2015 in 2015 / 2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • kadison
    • By kadison 6th Jun 19, 2:25 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 56,266 Thanks
    kadison
    I have bought No 7 hydraluminous foundation and the concealer. I especially like the foundation - doesn't go shiny and color match is really good. Perfect for the price. I'm currently using a stronger retinol so it helps with dryness too.
    Originally posted by asajj
    No7 is the only liquid foundation that gives me a perfect match, I can get nearish with most but they tend to look a bit yellow, it took a few attempts to get the proper match though as that device thing didn't work for me at all so I kept trying and returning stuff!

I can now say I'm DEFINITELY cool ivory!
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 6th Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 7,108 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU this morning:

Sensodyne Repair & Protect Whitening Toothpaste 75ml WDBA and have done. This is great. It doesn't leave my mouth irritated like some toothpastes do and it keeps my sensitivity at bay. I do not a slight difference in terms of Whitening when I use this. Replaced with my back up tube of this.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 6th Jun 19, 11:09 AM
    • 4,594 Posts
    • 40,818 Thanks
    VALM
    UU Elemis PCMC. Replaced with new tub received yesterday. All my INS arrived yesterday.

SPC Member 046
    2. Challenge member 55
    • asajj
    • By asajj 6th Jun 19, 5:24 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 12,450 Thanks
    asajj
    No7 is the only liquid foundation that gives me a perfect match, I can get nearish with most but they tend to look a bit yellow, it took a few attempts to get the proper match though as that device thing didn't work for me at all so I kept trying and returning stuff!

I can now say I'm DEFINITELY cool ivory!
    Originally posted by kadison
    To be fair, this morning I was thinking if it looked a bit tanned (warm ivory) but then again it looks ok under a different light. However, like you, I also don't get the yellow look at least so that's a plus.
    2015 in 2015 / 2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 6th Jun 19, 6:42 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 7,108 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I had a few online orders arrive today, so I have a few INs:

La Roche Posay Hydreane Legere Moisturiser 40ml
    La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume 100ml
    La Roche Posay Anthelios Ultra Innovation Yeux Sensibles SPF50 sample
    Solait Sensitive Face Fluid SPF50 50ml
    Superdrug Little Moisturising Blue Stick Lip Balm 4.8g
    Colgate Total Advanced Enamel Health Toothpaste 75ml

A few replacements for items I love and some new things to try
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 6th Jun 19, 8:45 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 8,614 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    First UU of June:

L'occitane almond body oil. WNBA. Was nice but I prefer a lotion.

One GA:

Paul Mitchell shampoo
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2019 42 UU, 21 GA / 146 38 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2019 No.64 316.46/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2019 No.13 212/365
    Penny a day 2019 No.8 278.86/667.95
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2019 No.12 74.97/150
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 7th Jun 19, 3:37 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 7,108 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One cheeky IN today:

Pixi Vitamin-C Tonic 100ml

The Boots store near my work had this on the clearance shelf, I guess there not going to keep the little ones in the store any more. So I got this for 3 instead of 10. I've been interested in this since it came out. I'm excited to try it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,616Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter