Why is it always....

Comments

• There is a book called 'The Age of Absurdity' by Michael Foley which is a really good read and explains how and why society has changed and how we have ended up with people blaming everyone but themselves.

We have moved from fighting for our rights (women's rights, gay rights etc) in the 70s which was a good thing, but this has now morphed some, almost 50 years later, to being about individual rights.

Many people now seem themselves as the most important person in the world. "I am entitled to this" "I am due respect" "You have this I should have this also". So of course no one can be wrong and make mistakes it must always be someone else's fault.

The third and forth paragraph of this article sums the book up nicely:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/feb/21/the-age-of-absurdity-foley

The book is not a 'light read' but worth the effort.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,272
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 May 2019 at 6:41AM
    I think I am unconsciously practicing "Detachment". I don't run with the herd. I really have no desire to bother with what other people are doing or bragging about all over SM. I don't have a "circle of friends" that i'm trying to keep up with or impress every weekend.

Maybe i'm just a miserable old cow, who knows!!! I've felt like a square peg in a round hole most of my life, because I've not blindly followed what other people do, or feel they should be doing.

I've put that book in my Amazon Basket!!! Thanks. Amazon also then suggests a plethora of other similar books that look good too. Good job I've got a shedload of Santander referral Amazon vouchers!!!!

Along similar lines, but not focusing on personal responsibility, if you want a more light-hearted read, i'd recommend Ben Elton's book - Blind Faith. It was written in 2007, in a "1984" sort of way, but has been scarily prophetic in some areas. I've re-read it about 3 times and each time I do, another little piece of it has come true!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
  • Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I think I am unconsciously practicing "Detachment". I don't run with the herd. I really have no desire to bother with what other people are doing or bragging about all over SM. I don't have a "circle of friends" that i'm trying to keep up with or impress every weekend.

Maybe i'm just a miserable old cow, who knows!!! I've felt like a square peg in a round hole most of my life, because I've not blindly followed what other people do, or feel they should be doing.

I've put that book in my Amazon Basket!!! Thanks. Amazon also then suggests a plethora of other similar books that look good too. Good job I've got a shedload of Santander referral Amazon vouchers!!!!

Along similar lines, but not focusing on personal responsibility, if you want a more light-hearted read, i'd recommend Ben Elton's book - Blind Faith. It was written in 2007, in a "1984" sort of way, but has been scarily prophetic in some areas. I've re-read it about 3 times and each time I do, another little piece of it has come true!!!

Thanks. I have just reserved Blind Faith from the library. I read Dead Famous many years ago and enjoyed it.

Borrowed from the library as I trying not to buy too many books at the moment - although I have just bought another book of Michael's Foley called 'The Art of Happiness'. Which I have yet to read.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 May 2019 at 2:14PM
    You need to try being a teacher who dares to discipline a pupil!

It's never their fault that they didn't do the homework, they messed about in class or gave cheek, swore etc. :cool:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I disagree. Certainly some people are like this, but not all.., not 'Always'.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you offended or are you offended on someone elses behalf - this bugs me nowadays in the way people interact with each other.

I forsee a day where people are too afraid to interact in any way with others for fear of being "attacked" for something they said or did.

Daniel Sloss (comedian) does a very good section in his routine on this:

Did I offened YOU -- tell me why, lets discuss and if needs be I will apologize
    Are you offended on behalf of SOMEONE else -- why ? they can tell me themselves I offended them

It happens all the time on these forums - people interpret the reality/truth as being harsh, why ?

Why should I worry about someones feelings when they ask a question and I answer with fact and truth.

Opinion is a different matter, MY opinion is never wrong (to me), you may disagree with it, you may try and change my views/opinions, but to me, my opinion will NEVER be wrong and I reserve the right to have one on any subject and to change it at any time.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would disagree its a recent change in society (look at politics or religion) - we're just more aware of it now as we're more aware of people & attitudes outside of our own locality due to technology.

World War 2 was essentially due to blaming someone else for all of the problems they were facing. There has always been an "us" and a "them". And naturally, we're all inclined to be sympathetic to the us and not the them.

Perception & bias is a strange prehistoric beast.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,097
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My wife always states we get " in the wrong queue " at the airport/supermarket etc and no reasoning from me changes her mind,i just shrug my shoulders and get on with life.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,017
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Maybe i'm just a miserable old cow, who knows!!!

Pick me, can I be one too?

On a serious note, I find some people are so obsessed with finding whop is at faulty for a problem and 'punishing them' that they forget to fix the problem.

If you find a problem, you fix it, it goers away and there's more time for ice-cream
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,272
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    JamoLew wrote: »
    I forsee a day where people are too afraid to interact in any way with others for fear of being "attacked" for something they said or did.

You need to read Ben Elton too!!!:D
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure