Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 7th May 19, 6:27 PM
    • 4,691Posts
    • 79,919Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World support thread 2019
    • 7th May 19, 6:27 PM
    Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World support thread 2019 7th May 19 at 6:27 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it Ė Donald Horban
Page 36
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jun 19, 8:31 PM
    • 64,591 Posts
    • 288,692 Thanks
    beanielou
    Damage limitation worked, 2.5 off this week, 3st award, 3st 1 lighter so far. Enjoying some syns today, mayflower chicken curry and rice for supper Yum.
    Originally posted by TheTalkingDead
    Great loss & yah for the 3 stone award
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    • 64,591 Posts
    • 288,692 Thanks
    beanielou
    Nice loss TTD, well done!

Checking in after WI with a 1.5lbs loss after my holiday. Happy with that, stayed on plan foodwise, but didnít move much apart from swimming but no daily dogwalk which I guess has an impact. Soooooooooo back to it, as I still want to shift a few stones.

This morning was so nice and now it is piddling it down with rain again boohoo. Hope it gets better tomorrow.

Poundsinbucks x
    Originally posted by poundsinbucks
    WEll done

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Jun 19, 8:34 PM
    • 6,431 Posts
    • 47,253 Thanks
    joedenise
    Thanks everyone for your concern.

Think I was feeling absolutely p'd off when I wrote my post as hadn't been in long and only had 3 hours sleep last night! Feeling really tired tonight but trying to stay up until about 10 so that I don't wake up too early in the morning, LOL!

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th Jun 19, 8:46 PM
    • 55,819 Posts
    • 644,375 Thanks
    bubbs
    Hi all,
    I haven't read back, other than this page.
    Denise, I hope you get sorted soon. I think the hanging about and the sense of disorganisation (even if it's not) makes everything worse.
    Delighted to see you, beanie.
    As ever, I want to move in with bubbs, for her lovely food.

I've been at the hospital too this week. I saw doctor a fortnight ago about a recurring problem ( happens about every 5 years, lol), was at hospital yesterday, no hanging about while there, thank goodness. Consultant said I'd need a minor procedure (which I expected) and I should get it done in next couple of weeks. Phone call today to go in on July 2. Can't complain about waiting time.

I have lost a little weight since last I popped in, so that's better than a gain. I will try to be back in again sooner rather than later.

Good luck everyone.
    Originally posted by greentiger
    Good luck with your procedure, its all happening here, i go in for the day 10th
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 1 1/2lb
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 18th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    Caterina
    Denise sorry to read about your health ordeal, hope they get you sorted and back to good health soon (((hugs))).

Second day home SW and second day cake- and icecream-free. Major achievement!

Breakfast: syn-free hash browns, egg, mushrooms and baked beans. Fair amount of spray oil so counts as 2 syns. Strawberries and cherries.

Lunch: vegetables, red lentil and rice soup (1 tsp oil = 2 syns) (sprinkling of parmesan = 1/2 HEX A). Natural yogurt (2 syns) plus 1/3 chopped banana

Dinner: veg and tofu stir fry with seaweed sprinkle and soy sauce (1tsp oil = 2 syns). 2 x 25g slices Edam (1 1/2 HEX A) with pickled onions, gherkins and 4 x buckwheat and chia crackers (1 x HEX B).

Feeling well fed and positive.

Got the Woman mag free membership voucher and will use it soon for new books.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 19th Jun 19, 4:58 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 21,217 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Morning All

I've had a really terrible week or so. Life has got on top of me and everything positive that I'd put in place has gone flying out the window, needless to say that has included sw.

So, back on it today and I need to keep myself posting cause I hide when I'm not sticking to it.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Jun 19, 6:31 AM
    • 6,431 Posts
    • 47,253 Thanks
    joedenise
    Thanks Caterina.

Unfortunately I'm feeling even worse this morning as couldn't sleep last night because of toothache! Have got to try and get an emergency appointment but of course dentist doesn't open until 9am! Just hoping I can get an appointment. Think the pain is caused by a loose tooth so will probably need pulling.

Denise
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 19th Jun 19, 7:21 AM
    • 16,708 Posts
    • 198,175 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Thanks Caterina.

Unfortunately I'm feeling even worse this morning as couldn't sleep last night because of toothache! Have got to try and get an emergency appointment but of course dentist doesn't open until 9am! Just hoping I can get an appointment. Think the pain is caused by a loose tooth so will probably need pulling.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Can you take some time off work, you cannot function with so little sleep. Hope the dentist goes well x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 64,591 Posts
    • 288,692 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you get an appointment Denise.

***Keep plodding***
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 19th Jun 19, 8:34 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 4,729 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    Morning! It sounds like several of you are suffering with your health. We need some sunshine to help us feel brighter but, untill we get some, I send you all a big cyber-hug xx

I'm doing ok this week. The PON diary is really keeping me focused and I can honestly say that I have written down everything that has gone in my mouth (including 2 magnum lollies at 12 syns each - eeek!) I think it is £5 well spent at the moment.
    Bacon and butternut risotto for tea tonight.
    After I've cleared away, I'm going to go through old sw mags and pick out some recipies and that will form the basis of next weeks menu and shopping list.
    Hope you all have a good day.
    • TheTalkingDead
    • By TheTalkingDead 19th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    TheTalkingDead
    Spaghetti bolognais tonight for supper, been a hectic day so far, and the morning has not yet bled into afternoon, I could go for a lay down right now but off to pick up DD from her school at twelve. Just made my supper preempting a hectic day to come, yes itís just one of them days today Iíll have been glad I did something now I know I wonít have time till gone 10 tonight.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 6,431 Posts
    • 47,253 Thanks
    joedenise
    Can you take some time off work, you cannot function with so little sleep. Hope the dentist goes well x
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Hope you get an appointment Denise.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks both. Just back from the dentist, tooth removed, now waiting for the numbness to go. Feeling quite light headed for some reason, not that had before that I can remember, however it was quite a long time ago I had a tooth removed.

Fortunately SSM I don't work anymore - retired early way back in January 2010.

Not quite sure how today's going to pan out as I can't have anything hot or cold - just cool or warm, also needs to be soft.

So far I had scrambled eggs this morning for breakfast as I was up before 5.30 this morning so wanted something before going out to face the dentist!

Was going to make tuna and sweetcorn quiche for lunch which although soft enough, I think, would be even more eggs which is not a good idea.

Tonight was going to be a sweet potato & butternut squash curry but also need to avoid spicy food today!

Best laid plans on mice and men, eh!

Any ideas would be welcome. I've got a reasonable stock of stuff in cupboards & freezer.

Only thing I can think of is some soup but eat it once it's cooled down but not sure that'll taste particularly good! That will probably do for lunch but what to do for dinner?

Denise
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Jun 19, 10:51 AM
    • 6,431 Posts
    • 47,253 Thanks
    joedenise
    Spaghetti bolognais tonight for supper, been a hectic day so far, and the morning has not yet bled into afternoon, I could go for a lay down right now but off to pick up DD from her school at twelve. Just made my supper preempting a hectic day to come, yes itís just one of them days today Iíll have been glad I did something now I know I wonít have time till gone 10 tonight.
    Originally posted by TheTalkingDead
    You really ought to have something at lunchtime once you've picked up your DD. A microwave jacket potato would be quick & easy, perhaps with some beans or cottage cheese plus the obligatory salad.

Denise
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 6,431 Posts
    • 47,253 Thanks
    joedenise
    Morning! It sounds like several of you are suffering with your health. We need some sunshine to help us feel brighter but, untill we get some, I send you all a big cyber-hug xx

I'm doing ok this week. The PON diary is really keeping me focused and I can honestly say that I have written down everything that has gone in my mouth (including 2 magnum lollies at 12 syns each - eeek!) I think it is £5 well spent at the moment.
    Bacon and butternut risotto for tea tonight.
    After I've cleared away, I'm going to go through old sw mags and pick out some recipies and that will form the basis of next weeks menu and shopping list.
    Hope you all have a good day.
    Originally posted by Matron Midge
    Glad the food diary is working for you. I just use the online one. For DH I just jot down any Syns that are in the meals I serve plus anything else he says he's had or I see him eating.

You've given me an idea about finding some ideas for meals today - I've got a huge pile of old mags and several books as well.

Once I've had my glass of warm/cool water I'll go and sort some out to have a look through.

Denise
    • esmy
    • By esmy 19th Jun 19, 1:36 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 5,113 Thanks
    esmy
    Afternoon everyone.

Sorry to hear that some are struggling with health issues at the moment - wishing you all a speedy recovery/resolution.

Well done to the losers and congratulations on your 3st shiny TTD!

Unfortunately I've not had a good start to the week. I missed lunch on Monday (work - 'lunch' time was 10.30am and I really didn't want it at that time) then ended up looking after a poorly DD in the evening. Things definitely go pear shaped (literally, haha) for me if I miss meals - I know I shouldn't allow myself to get over hungry as that's when I go off the rails. Work now over for a few months so back on track.

Today's menu:
    B Scrambled eggs and tomatoes, apple
    L Crispbreads with low fat houmous and salad, Frozen yoghurt (see further down)
    D Saw a ready meal in Aldi today that I'm going to try and find a recipe for - roasted aubergines in a tomato sauce with halloumi and bulgur wheat - should be able to wing it if I can't find a recipe.

The frozen yoghurt - I'm not an ice cream lover but this is just gorgeous! Aldi frozen greek yoghurt, salted caramel flavour, quite synful at 164 cals per 100g, I had just over half that amount. Highly recommended.

Have a good day
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 19th Jun 19, 1:44 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,356 Thanks
    Caterina
    Denise I hope you get dentist appt and feel better overall soon.

Well, I've taken the plunge and joined SW on a 6-week pass. It will give me impetus and also enough time to record all the syns of all the stuff I usually eat. Delighted that they have finally put tempeh in their list (4 syns a 198g pack, not too bad) although I fail to see why its synned when it's only fermented soya beans. Go figure.

W.I revealed a marginally better picture than the hospital scales at 90.9 Kg (just over 14st 4 lb).

Finding the plan easy and satisfying, the extra A makes all the difference. I'm keeping a diary so won't always detail every ingredient here but this was today so far:

No breakfast (W.I.) 9.30am
    Lunch: leftover rice veg soup with added chick peas and 10g parmesan 1/2 HEX A. Mixed salad with 2 tsps oil (4 syns) and 50g ricotta (1/2 HEX A). Orange and cherries.

Dinner, planning fish fingers with steam spuds, cabbage, carrots, peas. Got enough syns for fish fingers AND fat on spuds and enough HEXes for cheese and biscuits late evening snack.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 19th Jun 19, 3:30 PM
    • 55,819 Posts
    • 644,375 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    Well we didnt have the storm that was predicated but gosh its muggy!
    Denise!! ou are in the wars hope you soon feel a bit better x
    Well done Caterina on biting the bullet, you are very focused so you will do it
    Sary, hope you are feeling a bit better? x
    Well i am keeping a log on phone with what i am eating and drinking this week, although drink is nt a problem for me i drink ltrs
    but its handy on my phone as that's my 2nd right arm so as soon as its in my mush its logged!!
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 19th Jun 19, 3:39 PM
    • 55,819 Posts
    • 644,375 Thanks
    bubbs
    New Aldi Super 6 from 20th June to 3rd July are

Jersey royal potatoes (500g)
    Nectarines (4 pk)
    Salad tomatoes (6 pk)

all at 49p

Kiwi fruit (6 pk)
    Largw flat mushrooms (250g)
    Babycorn (130g)

all at 65p
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Jun 19, 5:14 PM
    • 6,431 Posts
    • 47,253 Thanks
    joedenise
    Caterina I notice you didn't have any breakfast because of a 9.30am WI. If I don't have breakfast (I do some weeks but not others!) I always take some chopped fruit to eat during Image Therapy.

Bubbs Not a bad Aldi Super 6 this week. Will probably buy 5 out of the 6 - neither DH nor I like kiwis.

Managed to get a couple of hours sleep this afternoon and feeling much better now.

Decided on the following today:

B - scrambled eggs
    L - 2 pea soup - didn't reheat after whizzing and also reheated for DH so by the time I ate mine it was warm rather than hot; 1 slice of crustless WM bread
    D - fish pie with green beans & peas
    S - Ryvita & Quark, ham, tomato & cucumber - if I need anything or might have a sandwich instead using the other 2 crustless bread

HEA - milk
    HEA2 - milk
    HEB - 1 slice WM bread; 2 Ryvita
    Syns - cheese sauce mix 2 syns (using 0.5 HEA2)

No other syns planned but if I do have any there won't be any alcohol involved as can't have any today after the tooth extraction.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 19th Jun 19, 6:34 PM
    • 16,708 Posts
    • 198,175 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Denise I am definitely jealous... I would love to retire. OH took very early retirement... aka following his dreams which means that I will be working until I drop!

I do have to ask why on earth are you drinking just cool or warm water? I assume it is due to here tooth, rather than some strange health kick!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,731Users online

Martin's Twitter