Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 2nd Apr 19, 4:07 PM
    • 11,684Posts
    • 80,609Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Weight Watchers Support
    • 2nd Apr 19, 4:07 PM
    Weight Watchers Support 2nd Apr 19 at 4:07 PM
    We have a Slimming World Thread but not one designated for Weight Watchers

Is anyone interested.........
Page 2
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 6th Apr 19, 7:03 AM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good luck with the weigh in Suzy. I attend the WW workshops on Mondays. I do weigh myself in between although I'm not sure how accurate my scales are but I'm pretty sure I've lost again this week.

I am going out for a meal tomorrow and whilst I won't go mad I am not going to be fretting over the menu choices. I have 34 extra points saved up so hopefully I won't sabotage my weight loss. It's only one meal...... I never eat puddings anyway and I'm driving so I won't be drinking much either. I'll probably skip the latte too. So I should be ok.

Yesterday I had acupuncture. I feel a bit better so today I'm going to start exercising! Exercise bike, cross trainer and Pilates.

Maybe a bit of gardening if it's warm enough.

How are you all getting on........
    • SnoozySuzy
    • By SnoozySuzy 6th Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    SnoozySuzy
    Morning LL - thanks for the luck! Lost 3.4lbs so I知 really happy with that. I know it痴 a bit more than I値l generally lose each week, being week one and all, but I feel like I ate loads of zero point foods this week.

I知 reminding myself that from here on, half a pound or a pound a week will be just fine. I知 eating really healthy stuff, cooked lots more than I have in ages, really enjoyed eating it too. And I知 writing that here to remind myself! I知 someone who gets frustrated at slow progress but, I致e just bought quite a few new tops that fit me and look nice for the size I am right now, that will still be good while I lose my first stone. Because this time around I知 determined to enjoy the process, see it as an interesting and even fun challenge and not be in a tearing hurry.

Hope you enjoy your meal out LL. I reckon you should be fine with all those saved points.

Not sure what I知 going to do yet today. The grass badly needs cutting but it痴 a job I hate. Looks so much better afterwards but urgh, the thought...
    • Dorothy60
    • By Dorothy60 6th Apr 19, 8:27 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Dorothy60
    Well done Suzy, you must be thrilled. You made a really good point about enjoying the process of losing weight, eating nice healthy food and supporting each other. That’s the key I think. I know you go to a group LL so you meet fellow WWers, but I am online so being accountable to you lot will make the world of difference.

I can already wear some of my size 14 clothes from 2015 lol, but I still look lumpy in them, so am looking for a more streamlined look, then maybe a size 12 eventually. That will do me. Have always been curvy, but Someone said that they look wide, and I don’t really, just deep lol. So face on in the mirror I look okay, it’s just when I turn to the side!!

Have a great day everyone, sun shining here, off to pick up the grandkids soon for an overnight stay so don’t need to worry about being sedentary today,
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 6th Apr 19, 3:33 PM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Well done Suzy. That's a cracking start. And, if, from now on, you can manage 1lb a week then the weight willl shift in no time. That's what I'm aiming for.

And more to the point I think we will learn new habits and hopefully we will be able to retain our new svelte healthy bodies indefinitely.

I have fully accepted now that I am inclined to gain weight easily and also I am very aware of the need to keep a strict eye on my blood sugar levels. So I am viewing this not as a "diet" but as a long term eating programme. That is why I'm taking such pains to learn as much as I can and to experiment with new foods and new ways of cooking.

Yesterday I dropped into my local baker. They do a fabulous sausage and stuffing cob (maybe that's a roll to you). Anyway I did a quick calculation and I reckoned there was probably almost a days worth of points there. Just goes to show. Yes it would have been delicious but not worth scuppering my weight loss for.

I have managed some Pilates and some resistance training using my rubber band and small hand weights this morning. Both my breakfast and my lunch were "free" so I have a bit of leeway with my evening meal and I can also save some points for eating out tomorrow.

Onwards and downwards......
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Apr 19, 8:06 PM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 22,071 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I didn't lose any weight this week as my GP says today that I have hypothyroidism.

I was thinking that I will have to stop WW until the end of May as I have had to go on Levothyroxine and I want to see if that has any effect on weight loss.

I'm just going to eat normally until then so I can get a true idea. Hopefully I can at least maintain the weight I am now but maybe I will lose more weight.

Hope you all do well. I will still read what you are up to and support you.xx
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 7th Apr 19, 8:23 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Hello! I am so pleased to see a ww thread.

I have been following the online program with mixed results since September. I am currently 13st 2, and my goal is 10st 7.or possibly 11st! I have found it so much harder to lose weight since hitting my 40's.

I work a very active job (I clean people's houses) but struggle to lose weight as I get sooooo hungry. But atm I have very few clothes that fit and am a stubborn woman and refuse to buy anything else in a size 16...... But even my (non observant) husband has noticed I keep wearing the same things....

So I will be subscribing and looking for hints.

I may also subscribe to the frump to fabulous thread. I lurked on it last year.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Apr 19, 9:12 AM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning everyone.

Hello Drawingaline.....nice to have you aboard.

Wednesday. Good luck with the thyroid meds. Yes maybe just eat how you would eat normally (healthily though) so you can check whether the meds work for you. Hopefully you might have more energy soon.

Well I tried on some trousers that I haven't worn for 3 years (only wore them once so refused to get rid of them).

ta da....they fit.. It's a Great feeling. Spurs me on even more.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Apr 19, 9:57 AM
    • 3,119 Posts
    • 22,071 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

Wednesday. Good luck with the thyroid meds. Yes maybe just eat how you would eat normally (healthily though) so you can check whether the meds work for you. Hopefully you might have more energy soon.

Well I tried on some trousers that I haven't worn for 3 years (only wore them once so refused to get rid of them).

ta da....they fit.. It's a Great feeling. Spurs me on even more.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Yeah, I'm not going to use it as an excuse to eat lots of junk food, haha.

That is such a good feeling when you can fit back into something again. Really shows how many inches you lose.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hi Everyone.

Just back from WW. Lost 2lbs this week.

That target is starting to look achievable. .
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 8th Apr 19, 6:26 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Well done! My week has not gone well and have a trip to London to see a theatre show with dinner beforehand tomorrow. Weigh in on Wednesday. Really need to get my head back in the game.
    • Dorothy60
    • By Dorothy60 8th Apr 19, 6:45 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Dorothy60
    GO YOU LL! weigh on day for me Thursday. Even if I lose just 1lb I will be happy. Signed up for 9 months and intend to get my money’s worth lol. Wish I could get my head round the app. Much younger colleagues show me but go so fast I’m lost. Sigh.

LL you mentioned that one day your breakfast and lunch consisted of free food. How did you manage that? Do you mind sharing? I eat breakfast and lunch at work and already fed up of two hard boiled eggs for breakfast. And a banana
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Apr 19, 10:26 PM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Dorothy of course I'm happy to share, I just don't want to bore you all with my menus.....

Please remember that I am now retired so time is my friend. I don't have the same time pressures that you have. I can take the time to cook a proper breakfast or lunch.

I don't actually usually eat breakfast till at least 10am because I try to go at least 12 hours overnight without eating so I can have a mini fast (so as to try and Reduce my blood sugar levels).

No point Breakfast could be berries and fat free plain yoghurt. I like skyr yoghurt, it's mild and creamy and quite filling.

Other zero point breakfast I like are mushroom omelette, frittata with either tomatoes and mushrooms or left over cooked vegetables, banana pancakes with berries

(Banana pancakes, just bananas and eggs, no batter).

2 point breakfast could be ham and cheese omelette - 20g of half fat cheddar 1.1/2 pt and half a slice of chopped ham 1/2 pt served with either tomatoes or mushrooms (or both)

2pt breakfast , bacon (2pts) eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes.

eggs are your friend - omelettes, frittata, poached eggs, scrambled eggs

Free or low point Lunches or dinners - skinless chicken breasts and unsmoked plain fish are free so base your meal on those.

Vegetarian meals can be free too if you ditch the carbs such as rice and potatoes. I use cauliflower "rice", courgetti instead of pasta, and butter bean mash instead of mashed potatoes. So a shepherds pie based on lentils and butter bean mash. Last week I made butternut squash curry with cauliflower rice.

Do you have a microwave at work so you could heat up leftovers. You could make batches of curry, chilli, casseroles, shepherds pie. You could have cold frittata with a salad.

Luckily I do like cooking and I like playing around With recipes. And I don't like being hungry....... I can honestly say I am eating far more now than I did before.

I take full advantage of all the free foods (except turkey, I'm not keen). I have reduced my red meat intake to twice a week so a lot of my main meals are chicken or fish based, with maybe one or two veggie meals a week.

I eat very few starchy carbs because I'm trying to sort out my blood sugar levels. I am pre diabetic and I'm determined to kick my blood sugar levels into touch and put diabetes into reverse. Due to my IBS I very rarely eat grains, so no bread, pasta, or rice. A slice of bread is a once a week "treat", any more and I risk an IBS attack and it's just not worth it. I can manage porridge now and again.

It sounds very restrictive but it's ok. There's still lots of choice.

Before joining weight watchers, I weaned myself off carbs by eating a paleo diet. It cured my IBS and GERD. Now that my stomach has healed I feel so well that I am happy to continue a largely paleo style diet, but just tweaking it to make it WW friendly. I am lucky because I had already sorted out my carb addiction first I no longer get sugar cravings. I hear some of the ladies in my group discussing how they struggle with their carb cravings, chocolate, puddings and deserts etc.
    I don't have that problem.

I like to add lots of herbs, spices and make nice sauces to jazz things up. I don't like bland food. I have learned to be inventive and how to make the sort of substitutions I discussed early, ie butter bean mash, cauliflower mash, cauliflower rice, courgetti.

I think it's important not to get bored with what's on your plate. I think if I was bored and dissatisfied with what I was eating I would just fall off the wagon.

I am eating around 8 to 10 portions of fruit and vegetables a day now. My skin loves my new regime, it has not looked this good in years.

Oops rather a long post. But I hope it helps.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Apr 19, 3:33 AM
    • 27,397 Posts
    • 116,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    Right Girlies, I've pulled my big Girls pants on, n joined WW online tonight.
    I'm finding the app a bit hard to get my head round, but have loads of time to fettle it
    I've no idea what I weigh, need new scales but I know it's waaay too much .
    I'm vegetarian, have hypothyroidism n other health probs, but I need to address my health and weight issues
    Can't believe how much I can actually eat on the plan either.
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Apr 19, 4:37 AM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    What are you doing awake at such an ungodly hour.

Well done on joining WW. And yes, if you're careful you can eat loads. In all honesty I must be eating twice what I was eating before when I tried to lose weight on my own. Which just suits me fine because I'm a girl who enjoys her grub. .

The good news is you have such a fabulous goal - your holiday will be a great motivation for you. That's one of mine too. I have sworn no more holidays until I'm slim, fit and healthy. I want to be fit enough to see and do everything and still have enough energy to dance the night away...... I'm also vain enough to want to wear cute little outfits......lol.

When do you go.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 09-04-2019 at 9:23 AM.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Apr 19, 12:29 PM
    • 27,397 Posts
    • 116,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    Haha I've not been sleeping well recently
    A quick question; how do I gauge portion size.When it says a medium portion of pasta, or potato, not sure what that is, n can't see any info on the app

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Dorothy60
    • By Dorothy60 9th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Dorothy60
    Thanks for those ideas LL, will look out for that yoghurt. I hope we can all share meal ideas, kind of wish I had joined a group but they all seem to be SW round here. But we ARE a group right? Just find the app so fiddly and I know I’m not getting much out of it for my money.

Decided my weigh in day will be Friday. First thing. Naked in my bathroom with fingers crossed lol. Gives me an extra day on my first week. Have ramped up the exercise this week. Always do 10k steps, usually 13 and have forced myself to do yoga and Pilates but really don’t enjoy them. Work upper body 10 mins a day with light weights and so far avoided the dreaded bingo wings, and do hips tums and bums using exercises I learned in the nineties.

So my body shape is looking much better, but we need to see those pounds disappearing, don’t we, Ladies

Someone mentioned fit bit for motivation. I bought a cheap as chips one from amazon. Only a about 25 quid. Deliberately didn’t get one that you synced to your phone due to my technophobic tendencies and it’s fab. Love the buzz on your wrist when you hit 10 k
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Apr 19, 7:39 PM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hi everyone

Candy. I really struggled with the portion sizing, I couldn't find any information. In the end I bought the WW book called "Shop". At the front there is a basic list of foods, then there are the main supermarkets and finally there is a list of brands. I have found that the most helpful, it lists points and quotes weights

Not sure if you can buy a copy online or whether you could pop into a workshop and buy one.

Anyway .....

Pasta, dry weight 60g 6 Pts
    Rice, dry weight 60g 6pts
    Noodles, dry, 60g 6pts
    Couscous, dry 60g 6pts

Raw potato, 150g 4pts
    Parsnip raw 90g 2 Pts
    Sweet potato, raw 150g 5pts

Lentils 0 Pts

I think Most other common fruit and veg are free

Avocado, half medium 78g 5pts

Hope that helps for now.

I do weigh or measure everything that has a points value, but not the free foods.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 09-04-2019 at 7:46 PM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 11,684 Posts
    • 80,609 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    My son set up the app for me today so need to get my head round it. But tbh I find my little book with the listed food values and my trusty kitchen scales work just fine for me.

I have signed up for 3 months. I think that might be enough to get me started. I've got to grips with it now and know what I'm doing. I might not renew after 3 months, I should be able to manage by myself now I have got my head round it all.

This thread is as good as any meeting, and I probably won't bother much with the app.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 09-04-2019 at 7:52 PM.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 9th Apr 19, 10:13 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Thanks for the breakfast ideas. I too have two hard boiled eggs and sometimes it's just a bit dull. But I have limited time in the morning,rushing round trying to get kids ready. I make my son an omelette in the morning, may start doing the same for me.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Apr 19, 10:35 PM
    • 27,397 Posts
    • 116,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    I've got used to the app now, n tracked all my food today.Thanks for the portion size info LL xx

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,308Posts Today

7,161Users online

Martin's Twitter