Barking mad relatives!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »
    Ummm, further email today asking if I have any thoughts and would it be better if they came down for a weekend to talk the whole thing through.

They then suggested a short itinerary with some planned visits in London.

I was going enjoy my bank holiday weekend and to leave it till Monday evening to go back to them but I think I best nip this in the bud tonight.

(from a comment made in the email - I genuinely believe they think we are rolling in it, not helped by the caravan fiasco and just have the lodger for 'company' rather than money, so wee lass can fill that role)
    If I were you I'd dig the whole damn plant up and put it through a tree shredder. :D
    I refer you to GlasweJen's suggestion. ;)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 May 2019 at 1:50PM
    Options
    “ Ummm, further email today asking if I have any thoughts and would it be better if they came down for a weekend to talk the whole thing through.

They then suggested a short itinerary with some planned visits in London.

I was going enjoy my bank holiday weekend and to leave it till Monday evening to go back to them but I think I best nip this in the bud tonight.

(from a comment made in the email - I genuinely believe they think we are rolling in it, not helped by the caravan fiasco and just have the lodger for 'company' rather than money, so wee lass can fill that role)
    Originally posted by Elinore
    Eek ! Auntie's plan is to turn up with wee lass and baby and all of their worldly goods, and to wave them goodbye when she departs after her all-expenses paid weekend in London !

This has gone on long enough - it's unfair on you, and it's unfair on wee lass as they've almost certainly told her that she WILL be living her dream in London.

The word is NO. And, as been said already, if they do turn up on your doorstep don't open the door.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Treat them like bailiffs, come to take all your worldly possessions...

Do not open the door, do not let them gain peaceful entry, or you'll never get rid of them!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,502 Forumite
    Options
    As uch as this is not nice or you, I can't wait for the next installment.
    WIll you be going away for the bank holiday [i.e. not answering the door] or will you be not answering the door? :)
    You know whatever you say there's every chance they'll still turn up.....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2019 at 2:14PM
    Options
    I don't think they meant this weekend - it was more of a general 'lets get together sometime' though you all now have me worried!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think nothing short of 'your daughter is not coming to live here for 5 minutes, let alone 5 years and you are not welcome to come and stay with us ever' is going to work.

Maybe it's time to decide if you want to send them a clear message that can in no way be misunderstood or continue rejecting their plans in a passive way.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Perhaps you could just refer your aunt to this thread ......
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • supermezzo
    supermezzo Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    A horrid thought, but do you have spare keys to your house and have you checked that they're still there? I'd hate to see you come home to wee lass already having moved in!!!!
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also, just thought...what about the lodger!!!

You need to make sure they are on your side (not a soft touch) otherwise you could find they've let them in and made them a cup of tea!!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Also, just thought...what about the lodger!!!

You need to make sure they are on your side (not a soft touch) otherwise you could find they've let them in and made them a cup of tea!!!!

I was just about to say the same thing !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure