Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 514Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 3:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 6:00 PM.
Page 9
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 3rd May 19, 3:32 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Most of that makes sense except for the bit about no need for monthly readings

Who wants to wait 3 months for an accurate quarterly bill nowadays I for one don't

I'm happy with all other aspects of the arrangement they suggest. It's what most people do anyway. You pay monthly in advance of your bill. Your bill comes and they detail the cost of your electricity based on your meter readings. They then take what you've paid and offset it against your bill for the billing period (be it monthly, quarterly or whatever).

I require a monthly bill. Based on monthly readings. I don't want to wait 3 months to find out I'm overpaying or underpaying

After all monthly bills is what I signed up to
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 3rd May 19, 3:34 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    A rather worrying development
    Cheapest comparable tariff for me (no exit charge, fixed tariff) is Yorkshire energy Green bunny at 32 more expensive. I'd probably opt for that myself though a short term transfer to a variable tariff such as the cheapest from outfox would only cost myself an extra 6 pounds per year . Looks like fewkeste may have had the right idea going with Yorkshire all along. I'll let the forum know if they attempt to get me to swap onto this prepay nonsense
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    Having just read all the recent posts it's a rather worrying development.

@Tafrock - it may be worth regularly checking YE's tariffs because they come out with new ones (as they arrange new forward energy purchase contracts) all the time. I'm on Green Goose but there have been two more released since then I think (both more expensive.)

It might be a case of watching and waiting for a good YE tariff to turn up then acting quickly when it does.

Alternatively if you join them on one tariff and they subsequently bring out a cheaper one, I was told one could swap to the cheaper tariff without cost or hassle.

It would be worth getting this statement from the horse's mouth though if you do decide to move to YE straight away.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 3rd May 19, 3:43 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Thanks fewkeste. It's certainly another option

I may just opt for a short term variable with no exit fee and go back to powershop in time for the hefty discounts winter will bring.

I know they will welcome me back with open arms

I'm slightly concerned by symbios seeming lack of direction but it could just be teething troubles. I'll just be very cautious and not build up any credit with them

This forum is an excellent vehicle to expose shortcomings in a company or alternatively issue praise where its due such as powershops excellent track record in the customer services field over the last 24 months

Keep posting everyone. Who knows. Symbio may indeed be watching. If you are guys then please join in and give us some official feedback
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 3rd May 19, 3:59 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Not competitive until October/November
    I may just opt for a short term variable with no exit fee and go back to powershop in time for the hefty discounts winter will bring.
    Yes I wondered about that. However it may not be until October/November before disounts become worthwhile and it's difficult to know if the November Future Packs will still be available in October.

In order for this strategy to work it's to be hoped that the online account becomes live ASAP after becoming a customer.

Last time I joined them on 17th April 2017 but didn't get access to an online account until the end of June 2017, because of a failure to supply information by my old company (Robin Hood Energy.)
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 3rd May 19, 4:09 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I purchased the my day special pack last night. Its made my final bill (according to the app) 11.94 for 11 days electricity. Just over a pound a day. The may day pack wiped out any usage of simple saver packs in my final 11 days.

Because my usage is so low I only used 2 full packs (St George's day and Easter ones) and around a third of the may day one. Powershop certainly have the right idea it's just a shame the discounts aren't high enough regularly enough
    • Jo Hric
    • By Jo Hric 3rd May 19, 5:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jo Hric
    Glad to see the email from last night here already. My concern was the 3 months wait to submit the meter read, which was raised here as well by @Taforck. So, I have emailed Customer Services. This afternoon I have received an email (from Sapan - new name into a collection saying:

"Meter readings reconcile the estimates with your actual reads. Some people like to provide monthly reads and have accurate energy bills monthly. Others provide less frequent reconciliations. As a company, we find that quarterly (3 monthly) meter read requests are a happy balance for all customers. However, should you wish to provide reads daily, you can do so by calling customer services. Monthly meter reads would be ideal for Symbio Energy, but this can be onerous.

Symbio Energy will send a reminder on a quarterly basis for meter reads. This can be submitted via the Customer On-Line portal or by calling customer services. We are working on a Phone App and other novel, easier methods for our customers."

Funny enough, made it into their FAQs as some of the answer is now there 12HOW OFTEN DO I HAVE TO PROVIDE METER READINGS AND HOW CAN I PROVIDE THEM?
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 3rd May 19, 5:16 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    A phone app would be useful. The portal isn't very smart phone friendly. Thanks jo
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 3rd May 19, 5:28 PM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    This is the price we pay when when the company has only two staff. Nancy and Cheetah.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 3rd May 19, 5:30 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    What about sapan mable. Dont leave the newbie out of the equation
    • steve900
    • By steve900 3rd May 19, 11:27 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    steve900
    Well that is the parentals switched over. They emailed 5 days after the switch date asking for a meter read. This was put through.

Will see what happens. I wish more people would contribute here, reading some of these posts is like watching paint dry.

Here is something to consider. You come home, you switch a light on. You pay a few pennies to the electric company for the power the lightbulb uses and we all want to pay as low as possible. But to sit and go on and on and on about the electric company in such a trivial way, well it was myself that switched off.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th May 19, 12:56 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    A few pennies Eh!
    You pay a few pennies to the electric company for the power the lightbulb uses ......
    Originally posted by steve900
    1029 per year actually.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 4th May 19, 1:29 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Update from me.

Email dropped into my inbox first thing this morning with a bill attached going from my switch over date, 22/04/19 to 02/05/19.

The opening reading didn't match the one I submitted but as long as it matches my closing reading on my previous provider, I'm not overly concerned.

It is an estimated bill as I hadn't submitted any further readings since switching and mentions a due date on it but goes on to state, if paying by DD this will be an automated transaction, which I've took to mean they will collect my normal agreed amount.

I've since submitted an up to date reading and will do so regularly going forward as I did with my other provider so we will see if future bills are still estimated or actual/customer readings.

An hour and a half later, another email arrived regarding their change of T&Cs echoeing what someone else already said above about the small credit and extra 2 months by way of a 'thank you'.

DD yet to be taken - I believe it is set up for one day next week.
    Will update the thread if that goes through as planned/expected.

So far, so good - nothing that concerns me compared to any other provider.

Dobbi
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 4th May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Same story here dobbibill. Opening reading which I also sent to. Y previous supplier was on 25th April. I submitted 2 further readings (final one on May 1). They have taken that may 1 reading as my opening reading and estimated my usage up until may 2. As you say it's only a small amount so as long as I'm not getting billed twice by separate suppliers I'll let it go. I also received the advance payment email. Again not overly concerned about it so I'll stick around and get my fiver bonus for the inconvenience
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 4th May 19, 1:55 PM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    Same story here dobbibill. Opening reading which I also sent to. Y previous supplier was on 25th April. I submitted 2 further readings (final one on May 1). They have taken that may 1 reading as my opening reading and estimated my usage up until may 2. As you say it's only a small amount so as long as I'm not getting billed twice by separate suppliers I'll let it go. I also received the advance payment email. Again not overly concerned about it so I'll stick around and get my fiver bonus for the inconvenience
    Got my bill this am and it was based on my meter read given to them on the 1 May. However no sign of the 10 credit promised to me. So will be chasing that up. Also no email about paying in advance. However will deal with that when I am advised officially by them.

Also fellow posters keep posting. Whether its trivial or not we do have free speech in this country.
    • steve900
    • By steve900 4th May 19, 2:16 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    steve900
    I too got a bill for 9.99 this AM. Previous read 0.00, current read 0.00 but used 69.62KWh.

The bill was followed by another email about paying in advance being applied to my account and getting 5 and 2 extra months on the fix date.

Also agree about free speech.

There comes a point though where you dodge a forum area because it is clogged up with posts saying "my account manager is ......" "why are they closed today" etc etc.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th May 19, 3:57 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    It's about sussing out how few people they have

There comes a point though where you dodge a forum area because it is clogged up with posts saying "my account manager is ......" "why are they closed today" etc etc.
    The contributors that made these posts are concerned that being such a new company it might be a really small operation with hardly any employees.

Also, some of the grammer and spelling used in their communications is questionable/unprofessional and they have also displayed an almost 'rabbit in the headlights' like behaviour when forum contributors have rung them and asked really quite basic questions.

The suggestion is/was that there is hardly anyone working for them at present and that possibly the same person is using different names to give the impression there are more people in CS than there really are!

This could be construed as deceptive behaviour and might indicate that other 'bad behaviour' might follow (like changing the terms of the contract after you've signed up for example!!)
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 4th May 19, 4:51 PM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    The contributors that made these posts are concerned that being such a new company it might be a really small operation with hardly any employees.

Also, some of the grammer and spelling used in their communications is questionable/unprofessional and they have also displayed an almost 'rabbit in the headlights' like behaviour when forum contributors have rung them and asked really quite basic questions.

The suggestion is/was that there is hardly anyone working for them at present and that possibly the same person is using different names to give the impression there are more people in CS than there really are!

This could be construed as deceptive behaviour and might indicate that other 'bad behaviour' might follow (like changing the terms of the contract after you've signed up for example!!)
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    Well said!
    • Dizzee Rebel
    • By Dizzee Rebel 4th May 19, 4:54 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Dizzee Rebel
    I've had Aprils bill aswell. They've not used the opening meter reading that I supplied when they took over... but instead used the one I gave 2 weeks earlier, when I initially signed up...

Also like everyone else I've had the advanced payment email. Not entirely happy as I signed up to pay in arrears. Normally I'd have no issue paying in advance, but with such a new supplier, with no reputation, who seem to change the rules as they please, who's terms & conditions create more questions than answers, with obvious cash flow problems, a grand total of possibly 3 staff members - who haven't fully grasped the concept of the english language... well you can understand my reluctancy.

And surely by giving everyone 5 credit, that will create another albeit temporary dent in the Symbio Energy bank balance.

My other issue is:

"The other benefit of moving to this method is that we only require a meter reading every 3 months. This will reduce the hassle of providing readings every month."

Reduce the hassle? Or give Symbio the opportunity to over estimate & cause you to build up credit?

I'd much rather send readings in & have correct bills all year, than have two out of three months estimated. There's no hassle involved in reading a meter and submitting it once a month. Surely if you continue to send it at the end of each month, they have to bill you correctly?

Just for info, my account manager is the one & only Deepak Chettiar (AKA Nancy ).

Oh &...
    "why are they closed today"
    ... because its Saturday
    Last edited by Dizzee Rebel; 04-05-2019 at 5:19 PM.
    • Johnnos
    • By Johnnos 4th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnnos
    Can anyone else get on the website, it just brings up a blank screen for me, I got on it once some weeks ago, after the blank screen thing a few times. Do they turn it off at the weekend to save on the electricity? I'm still tempted to try them......... so stubborn when it comes to, 'ooh cheaper.'
    • Benight
    • By Benight 4th May 19, 5:09 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Benight
    Can anyone else get on the website, it just brings up a blank screen for me, I got on it once some weeks ago, after the blank screen thing a few times. Do they turn it off at the weekend to save on the electricity? I'm still tempted to try them......... so stubborn when it comes to, 'ooh cheaper.'
    Originally posted by Johnnos
    Link as specified in the OP is working OK here

Having said that, there does seem a short delay in loading the top part of the page, which is the part that provides for an online quote, and according to this thread was an addition after launch. (or maybe just accesses another service provider as many of the smaller supplier websites do when requesting a quote)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,528Users online

Martin's Twitter