Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 15th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 398Posts
    • 199Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike - MSE News
    • 15th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike - MSE News 15th Aug 18 at 10:18 AM
    Virgin Media has announced it is hiking prices for broadband, phone and TV customers by an average 4.5% - with bills set to rise from October or November...

Read the full story:
    'Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 15th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 4,059 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 15th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    AGAIN?

How are they justifying this? This is utterly ridiculous. I'm dropping our TV service and phone service as soon as I hear from them, and trying to haggle down the broadband - it's taking the p*ss.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 15th Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 15th Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    But if your in contract surely they can't raise it?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 2,457 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 15th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    But if your in contract surely they can't raise it?
    Originally posted by m0bov
    The T&C's that people agree to says otherwise.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 15th Aug 18, 2:37 PM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    latecomer
    • 15th Aug 18, 2:37 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 2:37 PM
    But it also says you can leave penalty free when they do so.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    AGAIN?

How are they justifying this? This is utterly ridiculous. I'm dropping our TV service and phone service as soon as I hear from them, and trying to haggle down the broadband - it's taking the p*ss.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus

It's a yearly event! Same time every year!

That is certainly a good starting point, but be aware they love to keep people on 3 services and give it for a silly low price! So be prepared for that.

Or just removing the TV can work out at a good price.

BB on its own can be expensive (little, if anything to be gained by dropping phone)
    • bufferz
    • By bufferz 15th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bufferz
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    Just renewed my contract, looks like that was a waste of time then...
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Aug 18, 5:13 PM
    • 10,361 Posts
    • 16,068 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:13 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:13 PM
    I went VM BB only two years ago. Bought a Youview PVR box of eBay for £30 and with Amazon Prime never looked back. I feel I miss out on nothing.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 15th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3,854 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    Here we go again. Will need to speak to VM again to try and get some kind of better deal. Because of losing UKTV they reduced our bill by £5 a month and gave us Sky Cinema in HD free for a year. Now UKTV restored it might be hard trying to get anything else from them.

We have the full TV package, broadband 200mb, phone line (never used) plus Sky Cinema free for 12 months and pay £65.00 per month.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 15th Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Easy. They wouldn't pay to get UK TV channels so they made some other fools do it. Us!
    • pmcgrath
    • By pmcgrath 16th Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pmcgrath
    Here we go again. Will need to speak to VM again to try and get some kind of better deal. Because of losing UKTV they reduced our bill by £5 a month and gave us Sky Cinema in HD free for a year. Now UKTV restored it might be hard trying to get anything else from them.

We have the full TV package, broadband 200mb, phone line (never used) plus Sky Cinema free for 12 months and pay £65.00 per month.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Wow. I've only got the "Full House" package with BT sport only, 200mb BB and Talk Weekends and I'm paying £89 !! No Sky Sports or Cinema. Tried the on-line chat thing last week, as I noticed that the new customers where getting everything plus enhanced BB and Phone for the same price as I'm currently paying, but got nowhere. Didn't threaten to leave mind you and I'm not in any contract period just now. Any tips?
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 16th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    latecomer
    You need to cancel and then you should get a call back from the retentions department who can offer better deals. Before you do this make sure you find out exactly what else is available to you and use that to negotiate.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 3,854 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE

Originally posted by MABLE
    I rang VM today and they have cancelled the £48.00 increase and reduced the monthly amount by £2.00. Also now on a new 12 month contract and have extended the free Sky Cinema to another 12 months.
    • pmcgrath
    • By pmcgrath 16th Aug 18, 9:33 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pmcgrath
    You need to cancel and then you should get a call back from the retentions department who can offer better deals. Before you do this make sure you find out exactly what else is available to you and use that to negotiate.
    Originally posted by latecomer

Sorry, do you mean what else is available from other companies, or from VM themselves? The fastest BB I can get on my landline from Sky etc is only 10mb at the moment, so I'd like to keep the much faster VM option. TBH I don't really want to leave VM, just looking for a better price with Sky Sports throw in
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 2,457 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Just renewed my contract, looks like that was a waste of time then...
    Originally posted by bufferz
    According to the newsletter:-

Only those who signed up to Virgin Media after 1st August 2018 won't see their prices increase.
    Presumably this includes re-contracting customers in August? This (if true) would include anyone who renegotiated after the UKTV Gold debacle who signed up to a new 12/18 month contract.
    • Pikeyp
    • By Pikeyp 16th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Pikeyp
    Well, I'll definitely be changing provider then, which is shame since I've been with VM since the old Cable/Wireless days!

I'm not a gamer and not particularly interested in the UKTV fiasco, but I do like a consistent connection ... and I'm certainly not getting it with the appalling Super Hub 3 and it's dodgy build! ... https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency-Cause/td-p/3271492 ...

So it's time for a change ...
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 3,854 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    Wow. I've only got the "Full House" package with BT sport only, 200mb BB and Talk Weekends and I'm paying £89 !! No Sky Sports or Cinema. Tried the on-line chat thing last week, as I noticed that the new customers where getting everything plus enhanced BB and Phone for the same price as I'm currently paying, but got nowhere. Didn't threaten to leave mind you and I'm not in any contract period just now. Any tips?
    Originally posted by pmcgrath
    The online chat will not help in this matter. Phone them and speak to the retentions dept. The power house of the business. Be like me and just state your case and above al stay polite and calm. I'm sure you would anyway!

Also when I spoke to them today regarding the increase I never threatened to leave I just asked what could they do for me today.
    Last edited by MABLE; 16-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Anyone got their letters yet ?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 62,281 Posts
    • 44,751 Thanks
    soolin
    Anyone got their letters yet ?
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Nothing yet here, my latest deal (which isn't particularly cheap) runs out in October so I'll see what they can do for me.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • morgana
    • By morgana 16th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    morgana
    I got my letter today. Phoned to ask what was the best deal and they offered £3 off (price of the increase)Until Aug I had been getting a £7 loyalty discount so the price increase means a £10/mth increase in my bill =120/yr. Can't afford that so will phone retentions tomorrow. Looking at NOW Broadband deal but that goes up to £37/mth after 1 yr for 53Mb and broadband only.
    M
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

905Posts Today

6,215Users online

Martin's Twitter