Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 5th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 923Posts
    • 2,074Thanks
    crv1963
    50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60! 5th Aug 18 at 5:34 PM
    Hello,

This thread is inspired by reading others journeys, and at the suggestion of ShyandRetiring. I have been a lurker and commentator on a number of the excellent threads on this Forum. I like the Pensions Board, this board and the Pet Board in particular. I have been given some excellent advice and had answers to many specific questions on them.

Background:-

I'm a 54 year old soon to be 55. Where did the years go? I'm an NHS worker and can take my pension unreduced at 55 due to having "special officer class" because of my particular area of work. I currently have "all my years in to get a full pension" each years contribution counts as 2 years from 20 years service, in March I had a total of 40 years or 40/80ths pensionable pay.

I am- because of the way the scheme is calculated allowed to accrue a further 5 years or up to 45/80ths from the age of 55-58. I also am allowed if I work shifts to have any shift allowance calculated as part of my final pension.

So far so good, Mrs CRV and I married later in life than was originally planned, we lived together many years ago but parted without rancour in 1992 because in part of my career ambition and her reluctance to leave the area she lived in. We both went on to marry others, finally get back in touch through Friends Reunited. Two divorces later (we ended up divorcing our respective spouses) we finally married each other. I have two sons from my first marriage who live in the South East, Mrs CRV never had children but she (now we) has two nieces whom she/we adore. We both work in healthcare same qualification, me NHS, Mrs CRV always private sector since qualifying.

I had a brief career break when I moved in with Mrs CRV, so did have an NHS Pension break but re-joined in time to preserve my special class status. Last year I had a heart attack- fully recovered now thanks to excellent emergency care and treatment, but had an enforced 7 month break from my stressful current role. This led to my MSE addiction and our planning carefully our retirement. I say it as the "Royal We" as the whole topic is cold for Mrs CRV!

Part of my personal journey was re-evaluating my current role and seeking to reduce my stress levels. My cardiologist suggested that I should seek to return to shifts as a means of getting additional days off from work. This in addition to feeling side lined at work even being labelled as too old for the job and rather unkindly a dinosaur by a colleague said in jest I'm sure but left me feeling undervalued and not part of the Team.

So luckily for me the Trust I work for realised that they had got rid of all the experienced staff and the in-patient services it runs needs experienced staff to provide leadership, coaching and in some cases straightforward "you do it like this" support for younger qualified and inexperienced staff. I applied for one of the posts and got it, starting in September! Luckily for me and my pension it is all "out of hours" and unsocial hours work, so I'm swapping my M-F, 9-5 role for a post that is almost all night and weekend work. It is worth around 12k extra on my salary and of course around 6k pa on my pension when I get it. I'm going from 20 days every 4 weeks to 13 shifts every 4 weeks, so will be able to also work a few extra shifts boosting the coffers more, as currently I work 2-3 "extras" at weekends while doing my M-F role, so having only 4-5 days off every 4 week period.

Mrs CRV isn't so well off with her pension planning, she has some SERPs pension pot, with nothing between that and her now auto-enrolment pot. So this is where we'll have to concentrate I think.

We have some debts, a 90k mortgage at a fixed rate and I was forced to borrow 12k for a new car 2 months ago as mine was written off and I need a decent economical car for work and the commute.

The purpose of this diary?

To document my journey to retirement which I hope will be 18 months- 3 years time, 5 at an absolute push, I don't want to be the richest in the graveyard but want a decent comfortable retirement.

I also hope others will see an ordinary man can have aspirations, share what goes well and help others learn from what goes wrong!

To get some advice/ ideas that add to our plans. I already have picked up tips, one thing we do need to sort is wills, LPA and future proofing our home, in addition to Mrs CRVs pension planning. I'll hopefully get some ideas?

We live in a large bungalow with a very large garden, isolated on a hill in the middle of town, a cat with thyroid problems, a diabetic border collie !!!!! and an old Labrador dog who has had to have major surgery for mouth cancer, a collection of hens, a collection of tropical marine fish tanks (Mrs CRV hobby I am only allowed to look at the Seahorses!), we have a collection of outbuildings- shed, summerhouse, air raid shelter and garage full of my junk aka "valued items" that need de-cluttering as well as a loft heaving with an assortment of junk including 9 old fish tanks!

We worked our number out- current figures-

Me DB 16.5k pa 48k TFLS or 13k pa 85k TFLS
    Old Equitable Life AVC 6k
    Full SP is forecast if contribute another 4 years

Mrs CRV 24k SERPs pot (2004 valuation, updated one requested)
    5k Auto Enrolled pot
    Full SP if contribute another 4 years

We think save into PP or SIPP for Mrs CRV, draw down at 8k pa or up to PA. We think 24k pa would be manageable, any extra would be a bonus. We are in the position that if we live long enough as we age we'll actually get an increasing level of income!

Motivation for saving?

We've seen too many struggle to "get by" on SP alone! We want to be able to run our cars, keep our pets/ hobbies and have some decent holidays- we're having our gap year(s) at the end of our careers. So a tour of China maybe to see the Great Wall etc, tour of SE Asia see the Temples, Tour of India, and I'd love to see Botswana, Bermuda and go to Moscow! All depends on a) finance and b) health.

Thank you for reading my ramblings!

Never look down on someone unless you're helping them up!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Page 12
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 9th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    crv1963
    My May payday update-

Spending- Bought some secondhand paving slabs, still in the process of picking them up, to use for my lean to shed as a base and to try to edge my hen run to prevent the collie getting covered in mud as she runs around it.

Multiple trips to my siblings house to help empty it draining my funds so most goes on fuel, plus of course multiple trips to Mums and rides out to cheer her also adds to the increase in spending, as does parking/ lunches/ coffees and buying bits to make my new shed.

Saving Staying on target for retirement savings, very little else being put away at the moment. Flat wage this month so pleased that we were able to keep the baseline planned savings going.

Sorting Almost exclusively my siblings home, multiple trips to Charity Shops, bringing stuff back as required to other sibling and Mum. Agreed almost everything without getting irritated!

I thought I could hoard, well my sibling well and truly beat me! But we have actually thrown very little out so, I like to think she would be happy that others benefit from her "unwanted" items via charity shops. We have discovered she was a great supporter of her local charities and the driving force at her workplace for several ones close to her heart.

So I am once we've finished sorting siblings house determined to clear my stuff out and stay on top of it.

Other News Sad news abounds but looking for the silver lining to the clouds. Had a check up at the GP following a change around with my blood pressure medication and pleased to be told that I am as fit as a flea and have a normal life expectancy!

My garden is looking good even if the lawn is growing at a rate of knots. I've got to cut that today, have a general tidy in the house etc ready for Mrs CRV return tomorrow.

Interestingly I have only had the TV on as I leave the house for the dogs, I haven't watched or missed watching it at all!

Politics amazes me, Gove, Johnson et al fighting away and history catching up with them. My thoughts are does what they did 20+ years ago really matter, surely it is what they will do now that matters. I don't think that Brexit will happen somehow, and do I really care? Not much.

Simple Pleasures Lots of nice scenic runs out- had a really nice run over the North Pennines area of outstanding natural beauty yesterday, some 2 miles from our home but I don't go enough to things on my doorstep. Mum enjoyed it as she doesn't drive so that and a few hours walking around Durham cheered us both up.

Went to a re-union last night, enjoyed myself even if I only recognised a few people, looking at people I haven't seen since 1991 made me realise that I must look a lot older than I think too!

After tidying up today I'm taking Mum to the Dogs Trust, too soon some would say but her remaining dog has never had a night without another dog and a rescue dog will help give her a focus and task. The process takes about 4-6 weeks so time enough to finish the task with my siblings house. Mum herself feels she has enough love to take on another dog and doesn't understand when people tell her they could never get another one, telling me that you don't love less just more. Who am I to argue- she's altering her will to leave her dogs to us, so I'm going to make sure it is big enough to cope with living with our collie if anything happens to Mum. Two of her cats are old so I have asked her not to take on anymore of them. The three remaining ones will be quite enough!

Have a great day, and grief is like scattered glitter - you never clean it up, it turns up unexpectedly when you least expect it, don't mourn it, enjoy the memories and pleasures you had.
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 9th Jun 19, 1:59 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    BucksLady

Have a great day, and grief is like scattered glitter - you never clean it up, it turns up unexpectedly when you least expect it.
    Originally posted by crv1963

That is so true, crv.

Sincere condolences to both crv and ManofLeisure. I also hope that ManofLeisure will post again soon x

Pleased to hear that you are 'fit as a flea', crv - really good news.
    I've also some good news to share and I have permission to do so - MrAPJI has remarried . I'm so pleased that he has found happiness again . I've known AP for quite a long time as we once worked together.. Also knew his wife, and so I know she would be delighted that he isn't 'alone' anymore.
    • Mr Costcutter
    • By Mr Costcutter 9th Jun 19, 4:30 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    Mr Costcutter
    [QUOTE=BucksLady;75
    I've also some good news to share and I have permission to do so - MrAPJI has remarried . I'm so pleased that he has found happiness again . [/QUOTE

What wonderful news - absolutely delighted for him
    • bugslett
    • By bugslett 14th Jun 19, 3:50 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    bugslett
    My condolences to ManofLeisure, it's a very confusing and overwhelming experience.

Dogs and mud, I could write a book. I took delivery of four tonne of aggregates this morning to make a base for some fake grass. I tried all sorts to not have the fake stuff but nothing was working.

I dont have telly, my sole entertainment has been an in car portable DVD player for several years, quite sufficient. I read about a chap in the States who stopped listening or reading news after Trump came to power. I know how he feels. Perhaps less TV is contributing to you being fit as a flea!

I dont think it's too soon to get another dog. When you are used to multiple dogs, it's less traumatic I feel, because you are so used to having them around. I suspect your Mum has a good streak of proper Northern pragmatism in her as well.

Congratulations to Mr APJI and his bride. I feel champagne glass clinkng emoji would be better, but until there is one.

Finally, I'll be handing the warehouse back to the landlord on the 26th, so I'm considering that to be my true final day, though I've done about 7 hours this week so I cant claim to be stressed
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 18th Jun 19, 11:53 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    crv1963
    A quick update, back to work now, just finished my rostered run of four nightshifts, which were busy so flew over!

Well I've managed to convince Mum to go to the GP about her various aches, she has a bad back and has identified it was digging her friends garden that caused it. She helped her friend because "she's old you know, in her late 70s and it's hard work". Mum you're 80! She is pragmatic but doesn't like to bother her GP "It's always full of old people and old people irritate me with their moaning!"

I think it is less TV and more activity that has helped lower my blood pressure, and the medication of course plays a big part. I'm told I have normal life expectancy following my stent and stopping smoking, GP suggested that I limit overtime and Mrs CRV has imposed a limit of working no more than 4 shifts per week, which means I have agreed to do a maximum of 3 per month. Have booked 2 for July and 1 for August, I hope to sort my shed by end September. A rather long running saga now!

Not going over to sort my siblings house this week- we're having a break from it, probably go next week. I think we're on the final push now.

Weather looks kind today so I'm going to spend the afternoon catching up with the garden, the lawn has grown fast over the past few days I've been away!

My condolences to ManofLeisure and I hope he feels able to re-join us when he is ready.

My congratulations to Mr APIJ, it is nice hearing some good news, it seems all I hear at present is bad news!

Bugslet have you decided on plans for the summer or taking it as it comes?
    • bugslett
    • By bugslett 18th Jun 19, 2:49 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    bugslett
    I was just chatting to a friend and she was talking about her aunt who is 93 and says yes to everything, so I relayed the comments you made about hardly being able to see your mum at xmas due to all her activities and dos she has on.

No plans crv, just chilling for a few months before making decisions. I am eyeing up a world cruise next year, the mere idea feels decadent, but like you, it's the dog question... Some more thinking to be done.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 19th Jun 19, 3:25 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    crv1963
    Chilling sounds good! We are going to concert Saturday but have to organise our evening around the pets and their medications meaning I get home 11 ish Friday and up around 5 am Saturday so the evening dose can be given before we go out!

Mum has a busy round of Summer trips out with her various activities and clubs in July!
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 4th Jul 19, 11:15 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    crv1963
    My June payday update-

Spending- Have kept a lid on this so far! Fuel and food, oh and a couple of pints in the sunshine! We are thinking about our cars, Mrs CRV is thinking of a serious downsize for her motoring, still wants four wheel drive but something easier to park than her current CRV, and more fuel efficient than her current 25mpg.

I on the other hand am thinking of changing to a car with a few more luxuries/ safety features and a built in sat nav. Given my 800 miles a week fuel economy is also high on the list.

Saving Pensions on target as is getting the credit card cleared, thinking of increasing the monthly savings into Mrs CRV SIPP, but will wait until we see how much the building work will be.

Sorting Almost exclusively my siblings home again last month, work stops it being a smooth, quick process. I have managed to avoid the temptation of simply moving things from one part of the country to another and clogging up our loft space.

I've been looking hard at our finances and we've decided to spend on making improvements while we are working rather than waiting until we retire and so looks like savings will be taking a hit! So now going through my list of what we need to do, would like to do and what would age proof the home. Got a builder coming to do some accurate measurements and costings.

Other News Have been good and only 3 additional shifts booked this month, 1 so far for August. It is probably as well as we think 4 or 5 trips more to my siblings house then all done there. I love driving but spending 8 hours at the wheel round trip every week with the work hours in between clearing is taking its' toll on my rest days!

Mum has decided upon getting a new dog as her remaining one has gone all sad and not playing/ refusing walks and miserable. I've tried to suggest breeds that I also would be comfortable with- so no toy breeds, luckily she is familiar with robust dogs so is looking towards Labs, Retrievers or Corgis, she hasn't had a Lab but they are a decent compromise in size, easy to train and nice temperament so who knows, she is considering at 80 what happens if she can't keep it as she ages etc.

Mrs CRV thinks I'm having a mid life crisis as I fancy taking my motorcycle test, she is trying to steer me towards a campervan not a bike!

Simple Pleasures I had a few laughs at work, enjoyed the concert and am looking forward to having a week off work later in July. Had a nice lunch out in Durham yesterday- with a real milkshake.

Enjoy your day!
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 5th Jul 19, 8:34 AM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Clowance
    taste of being old
    Hi everyone
    I broke my ankle three weeks ago so have had an insight of what it must be like to have limited mobility and be confined to your own house. I can say it stinks, so CRV1963 when you future proof consider what it might be like to be in a wheelchair (kitchen worktops too high, sockets may be too low), hard to manoevre in narrow hall etc, steps outside unnavigable). Also consider bathrooms - A cheap shower stool in the bath (overbath shower) is working for me.
    Not every elderly person is as active as your mum, she is an inspiration.
    Best wishes
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 5th Jul 19, 4:59 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi Clowance,

Sorry to hear your misfortune. Interesting about the sockets, only today Mum has an electrician in putting a couple of sockets into her kitchen to ease access as she has to reach over or plug extension leads into existing ones.

If we were wheelchair bound we would have difficulty getting up to our home, we'd have to have a ramp put up the steps to the garden from street level, when we get to sorting outside I may have to see what we need to do and how much work is involved.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 13th Jul 19, 7:19 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    crv1963
    Mid Month update!

Spending Yesterday ordered the wood to fix my shed and build a lean to shed onto it. Ordered the timber for battens so I can insulate it and once the walls and roof are sorted I can look to do the floor. Today I've ordered the roofing materials and the insulating materials. All should arrive from next Wednesday - the first of my run of 9 days off so hopefully I should get a good bit done, even dare I suggest it finished!

Which will be just as well as we're currently getting quotes for several flat roof replacements over bay windows and kitchen, trying to get main roof watertight, in readiness for Mrs CRV loft conversion- wanting to create a sewing/ hobby room. People coming next week to suggest various options and costs.

We've decided that future proofing needs grasping firmly even if savings need using for this- not much good having money in the bank if the roof over our heads is leaking!

Saving Looking to start a SIPP for myself as well as Mrs CRV SIPP, more for old, old, age for me but useful to have the HMRC top up to the savings rather than sit earning little or no interest.

Saved on spending by buying timber locally, delivery 3.

Sorting Had to empty a wardrobe to allow access for some repairs to the boiler so going to recycle at least half to the charity shop this morning- I really don't need 44 Jumpers- it's cold here but not that cold!

More sibling stuff to sort today, hopefully we'll get that sorted and put away or given away as needed before we move on to sorting the next load out.

Other News Have booked 2 extra shifts for August and with my 3 for July by end September I will have paid myself back the money spent on the shed.

Mrs CRV excited about the prospect of a dedicated sewing room, less so about clearing the loft space to allow the work, not that she wants to hang on to anything just the task of getting it all down! I want to create 3 areas- 1) Sewing room, 2) General storage and 3) Christmas decorations, although I do intend to have a clear out before anything goes back up there.

Simple Pleasures Had an afternoon out with Mum, lunch and brouse around some shops, bought a couple of Christmas Presents, so I'm on track to have them all bought by end of Summer, although I have been advised to wait until November to buy Mrs CRV present because of the warranty.

Never look down on anyone- unless you're admiring their shoes!

Have a good weekend!
    Last edited by crv1963; 13-07-2019 at 7:21 AM.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Jul 19, 10:49 PM
    • 39,907 Posts
    • 37,170 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    do make sure that you give careful thought to future-proofing the loft access! We've got 'proper' stairs going up to ours, but they are horrible and I wouldn't want to use them on a regular basis. (It's not 'my' space, and it suits the person whose space it is, so just a thought for you!)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • bugslett
    • By bugslett 14th Jul 19, 6:46 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    bugslett
    Future proofing raises interesting ideas. I live on a hill qnd the house has no room for a downstairs loo. Theres a limit to what I can do. So far in the last couple of years, I've had fascism and guttering, new roof, new windows an d pointing will start this week.

Do you have much more of your siblings things to go through? Does it make you think about what you may leave for others to clear?

I'm enjoying retirement so far and managed to fulfill a lifetime ambition on Thursday when I bought a narrowboat. Technical ally its subject to survey, but she is only 3cyears old, so I dont think there will be a problem.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Jul 19, 6:56 PM
    • 39,907 Posts
    • 37,170 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Future proofing raises interesting ideas. I live on a hill qnd the house has no room for a downstairs loo.
    Originally posted by bugslett
    Tell me about it: MIL and FIL have nowhere to put a downstairs loo, his dementia is getting worse, he's more and more unstable ... and they don't need any help, TYVM. I despair and await the inevitable crisis.

Presumably you couldn't extend in any direction and put in a whole downstairs wet room? We have a downstairs loo, but it would require an extension to put a shower in. But then, our stairs are brilliant and wide enough to take a stair lift. (Can you tell I thought about this when I first looked round the house? )

So far in the last couple of years, I've had fascism and guttering
    and yet you always sound so reasonable ...

I'm enjoying retirement so far and managed to fulfill a lifetime ambition on Thursday when I bought a narrowboat. Technical ally its subject to survey, but she is only 3cyears old, so I dont think there will be a problem.
    Fantastic! One of my siblings had one for a few years: much older than that, and eventually they reached the stage where they could find the time to either maintain it, or use it, but not both. But it had given them several happy holidays with teenagers!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • ManofLeisure
    • By ManofLeisure 14th Jul 19, 7:22 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    ManofLeisure
    The narrow boat sounds a great idea bugslett - hope you enjoy many happy days on the water . Many congratulations on your retirement.

Sorry to hear your sad news crv. Life is short - that's for sure.

Thank you to those who made comment about my wife's passing and to those who messaged me. She had bravely battled cancer for 10 years. We had been together since our uni days and so losing her has been extremely hard. Nothing, absolutely nothing, can prepare one for such a shock and the pain. Then comes the realization that one must soldier on.

I hope your move has gone well Mr Costcutter and you enjoy your new location.

Congratulations to MrAPJI - really pleased to hear you have found happiness again.

Had to smile at 44 jumpers CRV . At one point I had over 100 ties - too many for any man I reckon. Goodness knows where they all came from!
    • bugslett
    • By bugslett 14th Jul 19, 10:14 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    bugslett
    Fascism and gutters, dont you just love auto correct

MoL, time softens the loss, that's really the only advice I can give you.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 15th Jul 19, 6:09 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi Bugslett- It does make you think what about my clutter. We are onto the last room, the hobby room, so in order to do it justice and not simply rush we're packing it up and transporting it back over our way and then going through each box. I knew sewing wasn't cheap but had no idea just how much a single person could spend on a piece of material. And there are hundreds of pieces of material!

Luckily, Mum, my other sibling and wife all sew so it will not all be wasted- as my Mum put it- "When I pop my cloggs you'll more than likely be going through much of the same materials in my stuff as we are with this lot".

Sibling was really into Christmas and Christmas decorations- as am I so I'm simply dividing them up evenly and then each person can sort through their own pile and keep/ recycle/ charity shop what they want from it all rather than open/ unwrap every little thing.

For my self I'll leave a great pile of Christmas decorations, tools and books. Mrs CRV sewing materials, records, clothes and shoes!

We've decided we don't use the rooms we have that much so the loft conversion will be basic to create a large sewing room and boarded storage areas, to achieve it we're spending the next few weeks seriously de-cluttering, we have the equivalent of 6 double wardrobes of hanging space to empty and of course the usual boxes on top of, in and beside the wardrobes!

Great news about the narrow boat, there's a challenge not much space to clutter in one!

Savvy-su- the stairs up are the important bit really, so good advice from you, we need to be able to get the furniture up and the jukebox.

MoL- great to hear your back, a horrid experience and little can be said to comfort, but Mum tells me that she copes when the waves of grief come by remembering the good times and of course by talking.

Got a course this morning, then the deliveries of items for my shed should continue arriving- some came yesterday such is the power of modern day shopping. While I was finishing off my Christmas shopping in York. I'm all done now with the exception of Mrs CRV electrical goods but know when and which local shop I'm going to for that!

I hope everyone has a good day and that the sun is shining.
    • bugslett
    • By bugslett 15th Jul 19, 8:17 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    bugslett
    I can confirm seeing is not a cheap hobby, actually most hobbies aren't! Walking is probably the cheapest, followed by reading. Gardening hasnt been, but now the garden is close to finished, it's less costly.

There is an article about the boat i am buying and it notes one of the steps lifts up and is the correct size for the owners sewing machine. Might be wiser not to mention this to lady cry in case she decides to decamp from the attic to a boat to do her sewing!
    • Mr Costcutter
    • By Mr Costcutter 15th Jul 19, 11:16 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    Mr Costcutter
    Good to see you back MoL - you have been in my thoughts. Yes, we have moved but are renting a property for 6 months as our new home is being renovated. The house we are renting is an absolute nightmare - dogs barking 24/7 - jolly glad it isn't our 'forever home'.

Bugslett, my wife has always fancied a narrowboat. Did you ever catch any of those programmes with Tim West and his wife - quite interesting - and I can understand the appeal of the waterways.

Sounds as if sorting out your siblings things has been quite a job, crv. I found it challenging when I had to clear mum's home - she kept 'everything'. In the loft I found her boarding school trunk and that was filled to the brim with family photo's and school reports. Just wish someone had made a note of who the people in the photo's actually were lol
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 15th Jul 19, 11:48 AM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 4,491 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Good to see you back MoL - you have been in my thoughts. Yes, we have moved but are renting a property for 6 months as our new home is being renovated. The house we are renting is an absolute nightmare - dogs barking 24/7 - jolly glad it isn't our 'forever home'.

Bugslett, my wife has always fancied a narrowboat. Did you ever catch any of those programmes with Tim West and his wife - quite interesting - and I can understand the appeal of the waterways.

Sounds as if sorting out your siblings things has been quite a job, crv. I found it challenging when I had to clear mum's home - she kept 'everything'. In the loft I found her boarding school trunk and that was filled to the brim with family photo's and school reports. Just wish someone had made a note of who the people in the photo's actually were lol
    Originally posted by Mr Costcutter
    I have a suitcase brought from my mum's 17 years ago (when she died) which is full to the brim with photos and that is my problem too. I haven't really been through them all yet, but one day I will.

We quite fancy getting in genealogy when we retire and some of those photos could provide great background information if only we knew who they were and where and when they were taken
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,847Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin