Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,461Posts
    • 33,305Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 430
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Jun 19, 11:29 AM
    • 5,461 Posts
    • 33,305 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    My your brave Brambling, your sister's response did make me chuckle
    After some really heavy rain overnight it was sunny when I got up, back to rain now though!
    Bashed finger is throbbing but much less swollen and I think the nail bed had escaped. I'm having to type one fingered as any pressure on it is very ouchy!
    Lamb mince has been mixed up for donner kebabs and is chilling in the fridge, just the sauce to put together now and make some salad & wedges. I've plenty of time as my son won't arrive until mid-evening. I'll pop the meat in the SC around 5 as it only takes a few hours to cook.
    Avocado & egg salad for lunch.
    If it dries up I'll potter about in the garden if not I might get the duster out and rearrange some of the dust.
    Probably won't be about much until Monday so hope everyone has a good few days.

• Farway
    • By Farway 20th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    • 7,401 Posts
    • 14,125 Thanks
    Farway
    After the porridge breakfast into town, collect new specs, except they're not ready. Not a problem, I arranged it for Thursday 'cos that is my "into town" day anyway

Just bits & bobs, only YS worth having was a live mint plant 35P. My mint died despite mint never dying. plus a jar of on offer strawberry jam found it's way into my trolley in Iceland Own brand, never had theirs so I'll give it a go

The desire for 1950's trifle has come over me, so small tin of fruit + packet jelly also bought, maybe assemble it this weekend. I'll get a lump of sponge type cake from L's tomorrow

Plus a plastic stacking drawer thing from HBs to use in my glory hole once I get round to clearing the broken shelves + assorted odds & s*ds out. A job for round touit

Lunch was cheese & salady sarnie

Quick spell in garden, sowed more beetroot so need a dribble of rain to water them in for me

Dinner F & C again, but this time it's with minted peas now I have a new YS plant
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 20th Jun 19, 12:48 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    pattypan4
    ohhh 1950s trifle. Oh don`t make me, get the thought out of my head, quick
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 20th Jun 19, 2:17 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 22,122 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've had a banana and water for breakfast then I had spaghetti pomodoro in a restaurant.

I was a bit peckish still so I'm having some mashed avocado on crackers now.

The desire for 1950's trifle has come over me, so small tin of fruit + packet jelly also bought, maybe assemble it this weekend. I'll get a lump of sponge type cake from L's tomorrow
    Originally posted by Farway
    Ooh, yummy.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 20th Jun 19, 2:35 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    halogen
    so ... longtime lurker here...

I 'cook' for one. I spend far too much money on food, I eat far too much and I find the idea of meal planning cringey. Those facts are possibly related:-)
    I find it challenging to prepare things in advance as I just eat them when making them. I also find it very difficult to eat less than the whole packet of something. At the moment I spend £40-£60/week (shop in Lidl and only buy discounted items as far as fish and meat go) and I'm usually on cheese and crackers by Thursday.

Can someone explain meal planning to me in a way that will make me think I'll be able to to it:-D
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 20th Jun 19, 3:45 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 8,551 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I've had a busy day at one of my "regular" schools... Although I call them that... I don't think I've been there since April! Obviously the universe was with me, because I was thinking only last week that I hadn't been there in a while.
    The kids are absolutely horrendous, behaviour-wise, but the staff are so lovely and supportive, that I don't mind. I certainly wouldn't want to be their full-time teacher, but odd days are fine.

I've currently got potato croquettes and a chicken portion in the oven for an early tea. I've also got a portion of corn on the cob... I don't really care for sweetcorn, but it was on such a good special offer in Aldi/Lidl that I couldn't turn it down for the price.

Tea needs to be early tonight, as I've got a tutoring session that I need to leave the house at 6pm for.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £47.90/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420

• caronc
    • By caronc 20th Jun 19, 7:20 PM
    • 5,461 Posts
    • 33,305 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Unexpectedly CFO tonight as my son got delayed at work so travelling up tomorrow. We'll have the kebabs tomorrow night.
    That's what I call "proper" trifle Farway, jelly is a must in this house and there would be a mutiny if a) one didn't appear at Christmas and b) it was jelly free
    Welcome to the thread halogen, as you've been lurking you'll have realised we're a mixed bunch on here with multiple approaches, budgets and food priorities reflecting the varied paths CFO takes. Seems you have few priorites you're wanting to focus on - spend & eat a bit less and not running out of food by Thursday. Meal planning can help with those but it's not for everyone. Portion control - always hard when you are CFO especially if there's a "bit" leftover but not enough for another proper meal. I tend to use smaller portions of LOs for lunch the next day or if there's more than left freeze the other portion(s). Does sound as though batch cooking might not be working so well for you but if you have a freezer could you portion as you serve up and freeze once cool? Meal planning does work for me though I don't always do it and find a few days at a time suits me best. I only shop every 8 or 9 days so do keep enough of staples such as butter/milk/eggs/cheese etc. to see for that length of time. A plan can be as vague or precise as you want, mine tend to be fairly vague so might say "chicken thigh" or "pasta", this helps me as it's reminder if I need to take anything out of the freezer the night before but mainly I decide on the day or day before what the final meal will be and don't always stick to my plan if I really don't fancy it or cba cooking. A "plan b" is always useful. I also have a "use up" list of bits in the fridge that either have a short shelf life or are reaching there are going to go very OOD. Cost - I'm not going suggest a budget, but have think about what you would like your spend to be. I have an annual budget for food, basic toiletries and household items like laundry, loo roll and cleaning products which works out at £30 per week for all meals/snacks/non-alcoholic drinks and I eat very well on that (though my wine & gin budget is seperate) but most weeks I spend less than that with others that are much more if I'm doing a butchers order or stocking up soap powder/ coffe etc. because it's on SO. However, it is very much about what you think is reasonable for you and what you can afford/want to spend. I'm happy to do a fair bit of food prep which can reduce costs but that doesn't suit everyone. Also maybe to think about are you running out of food later in the week/eating up stuff because you are buying things with short lifespans so it's a case of eat it or binning it? Why not start by planning a couple of meals for later in the week that are less reliant on stuff that goes off quickly, good stand-bys can be things like beans, eggs, baked spuds, toasties etc. Good luck and hope to see you posting again.

With kebab no longer on the menu tonight, it will be a quick freezer/cupboard raid for me.I'm thinking either turkey casserole from the freezer or "something" & waffles, though I don't want to open beans and had egg mayo for lunch and don't want again tonight. Dust remains as the "donkey" was having a good kick earlier so I was mainly horizontal. It's definitely the unsettled weather kicking it off as it's dry & sunny now and he's headed back to the stable.

• flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 20th Jun 19, 8:07 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 8,551 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Hello Halogen! Welcome to the thread!

Wise advice from Caronc above.
    Your weekly budget seems very high to me (mine is £70 for the month). Did you want to cut it down a bit?
    I found my grocery spend much easier to manage when I made the swap to using cash only for food spends. And it became even easier when I moved from almost exclusively a Tesco shopper, to almost exclusively Lidl, with a tiny bit of Tesco thrown in. I found that I was getting more for my money, and the quality was just as good.

Only in the past year have I started to meal plan, and I've found that it's reduced wastage a lot.

Do you have much in the way of a stockpile of food? How's the pantry/freezer looking? A good way to have a "cheap month" is to try and eat them down a bit, and only stock up on fresh bits as you need them.
    £47.90/£70 July GC

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 20th Jun 19, 10:38 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening all and welcome Halogen

I've been lectured by my nephew on the steps incident (as he called it ) his mother told tales on me and he knows I can't reach properly standing on them. I promised not to stand on the old patio table after the last time so he wasn't amused I did remind him that I used to change his nappy

Halogen I tend to be a bit like Caronc with my planning ie Chicken on Monday and then decide what to do with it, but I have a well stocked cupboard and freezer . I will plan to use things up so try to incorporate LO ingredients to turn them into different dishes. What type of food do you like to eat? My freezer contains LOs portioned into meals often with rice, pasta or veg so I can take a complete meal and ping for lunches. Proteins (Fish, meat, quorn and tofu) that take a bit longer to prep and cook and something I can cook quick and easy like falafels, quorn goujons, fish fingers or mini pizza. I use my plan to sort lunches out too as I don't eat sandwiches so I may plan to cook extra or cook two pieces of the protein, one slightly different so I can have one with salad the next day for lunch.

I went out to watch The Merry Wives of Windsor tonight with a friend of my sister's, it was filmed from the Globe theatre and screened the cinemas. Not a play I've seen or read before but it was very good

Lunch to was the last of the smoked mackerel and salad, I had to pick up more salad stuff for lunch tomorrow which was bad planning Dinner wasn't as planned by the time I got though the traffic tonight and then got caught on the phone it was a bit rushed so I airfried the last of the quorn goujons from the freezer and had just with frozen broad beans before dashing out.

Caronc hope you have a good weekend with your son

Farway does your trifle have dream topping on top instead of cream and tinned fruit salad and a glass of Harvey's Bristol Cream
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 21st Jun 19, 6:04 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    pattypan4
    welcome halogen, a rare gas indeed

I am also a rarity. I don`t budget these days, if I want it then I get it. A throwback to a lifetime of budgeting, remembering the monthly cash in envelopes in a drawer. Having said that, I am not extravagent and don`t drink but I love my feverfew lemon tonic with ice cubes, a large bottle lasts me 4 drinks. Neither do I meal plan for more than a day ahead, I often swerve from meal to meal in order to get through the large amount of veggies in my freezer and I make fresh veg juices on a regular basis, freezing portions because cleaning the machine is a faff. Any meat is organic but I scarcely have one portion a week, so not a great expense

I am waffling, got to wait in for parcels that never arrived yesterday. Baking today, all in one pan honey cake because I have ood honey and currant buns because I hae too much spelt flour
    Breakfast was cottage cheese and tomato slices on ryvita, lunch will be a rich tomato and veg pasta sauce with edamame pasta, pud will be berries and yoghurt. I have LO beetroot, a bag of granny smiths, celery and fennel all asking to become juice later today. Much to do in the kitchen then
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 21st Jun 19, 10:44 AM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Wednesday: Last bowl of Mediterranean tomato soup with jumbo prawns.

Appointment with my new support worker.

Went to Morries without my glasses, without a proper purpose (use bus ticket) and at the wrong time of day. Still picked up Yellow Sticker plaice, a fat wedge of Cornish brie and a small pot of Jersey double cream.

Shattered and had to lie down for a couple of hours.

Not hungry but ploughed through a leftovers salad (goats cheese/ YS babyleaf salad/ asparagus/ red onion/ avocado/ frozen pom seeds).

Early hours fruit dessert (strawberries/ blackberries/ Greek yogurt/ mixed seeds).

Yesterday: Slept all day.

Fridge-bottom egg and cashew stir fry (jar sauce/ YS tenderstem broccoli/ shiitake mushrooms/ baby corn/ long pepper/ red onion).

Late night fruit dessert (rhubarb/ gooseberries/ Greek yogurt/ YS double cream/ mixed seeds).

The refrigerator is surprisingly empty. Partially refilled it from the freezer, but completely out of a couple of basics.

Food waste: Slimy bits from YS bagged salad, few spears from YS tenderstem broccoli.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 21st Jun 19, 11:33 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    pattypan4
    honey cakes are baking, yeasted buns made with spelt are having a first rise in the fridge, it was all happening too fast and I need to catch up with myself. I can see me making the veg juice tomorrow, haven`t even had the time to go and get some outdoor exercise.Lunch was nice and mid morn was an orange and 2 apricots
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st Jun 19, 12:12 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 22,122 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have had two slices of toast and then a bowl of lovely cherries.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Jun 19, 1:06 PM
    • 66,513 Posts
    • 390,808 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I do love a good trifle. Mum used to always make the Birds one at Xmas, always the strawberry one and I wanted the sherry one, but we weren't allowed two, so it was always the strawberry one.

I prefer big juicy old fashioned sherry trifles, but I also wasn't allowed to make a trifle for everybody because "we're having the Birds, we always have the Birds" and so nobody'd have eaten whatever I made.

Two Xmases ago I did knock up a trifle....

Last year I didn't bother. I had everything in the house so could've made one if I fancied it, but I had Xmas food overload without it.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 26-06-2019 at 7:48 AM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 21st Jun 19, 1:29 PM
    • 7,401 Posts
    • 14,125 Thanks
    Farway
    Hello halogen. Caronc has covered most things very well and as you may have noticed we are a mixed bunch. My "planning" follows similar patterns, what have I got & what needs using up? I try and think a few days ahead, but can duck & dive depending what I find YS in the shop, mainly Lidl / Asda

My meal plan this week consists of making a trifle this weekend Brambling, I did toy with the Dream Topping idea but have decided to play at healthy and plop HM yoghurt on top of the custard, plus some wild strawberries from bottom of the garden, fresh fruit will also include sliced bananas, no tinned fruit salad, but I've tinned peach slices & mandarin bits to chuck in with the jelly

I've everything ready now, including cake & peach slices from L's this morning

I don't budget but don't chuck it away either, I try & buy ethically so some items are more expensive but still affordable for me. However the YS pack of cheap bacon for instance can lead me astray. To paraphrase someone, I have principles but if you don't like them I'll change them

Awful pong last night, I'd left my pea pan on the gas after F & C dinner One burnt & bu66ered pan 'twas only a £land non stick one I bought for cheeses sauce mixing & the like so not an heirloom

Lunch was cheese & salady sarnie
    Dinner, I've taken a salmon fillet out to defrost, so it's that plus salad & frozen chips
    Last edited by Farway; 21-06-2019 at 1:34 PM.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 21st Jun 19, 2:34 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    pattypan4
    old fashioned trifle must taste even a zillion times better in mid summer. Real trifle with sponge, tinned fruit, jelly, custard and cream and maybe hundreds and thousands

Honey cake is fantastic, I ate a decent sized slice, beautiful, Mary Berry recipe from an old book. I still have to get on and make the buns from the dough. Very glad I put it into the fridge.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 21st Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    Brambling
    old fashioned trifle must taste even a zillion times better in mid summer. Real trifle with sponge, tinned fruit, jelly, custard and cream and maybe hundreds and thousands
    Originally posted by pattypan4
    I forgot the hundreds and thousands, I remember that being my job when I was pre-school age there may not have been an equal spread across the cream
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 21st Jun 19, 3:55 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 8,551 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I'm glad to see the end of a fairly busy working week (almost... 2 hours of tutoring to do shortly!)

I've been booked for 4.5 days at one of my regular schools next week, which is good.

Tomorrow I'm driving about an hour and a half towards Cambridge, to visit my 93 year old great-auntie. She's got a ring she wants to give me, and we'll chat family history stuff, as it's something we're both interested in.
    However, she's been on a feeding tube for the past year, which she does overnight, and has rather got out of the habit of making meals, and she's 93, so I'm not expecting feeding. I will have breakfast before I go, and perhaps grab a cheeky maccys or something, on the way home.
    £47.90/£70 July GC

• pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 21st Jun 19, 4:20 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    pattypan4
    Thats it flubberyzing, I am buying the trifle bits tomorrow, will try and get a small rm custard and small tin of fruit. Trifle sponges if I can find them. Not buying hundreds and thousands or I could see me having them on bread and butter. That will be my weekend treat to myself

So now just waiting for 24 currant buns to do their final rise and silly me the freezer is groaning, I meant to keep at least one empty drawer for the berry season. I must stop making stuff
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 66,513 Posts
    • 390,808 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... Trifle sponges if I can find them.... waiting for 24 currant buns to do their final rise and silly me the freezer is groaning
    Originally posted by pattypan4
    I prefer sponge/cake to trifle sponges, which tend to be a bit lightweight/disappointing. Kill two birds with one stone and lob in 2-4 of your currant buns into the trifle. You can pick out the currants and eat them if you want. Just slice the buns thinly and either toss them in carelessly, or be very picky about where they land.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

231Posts Today

2,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin