Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 8th Aug 16, 4:54 PM
    • 1,239Posts
    • 3,569Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    New Buying From China (incl AliExpress) guide discussion
    • 8th Aug 16, 4:54 PM
    0 WOW
    New Buying From China (incl AliExpress) guide discussion 8th Aug 16 at 4:54 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Buying From China guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny
Page 4
    • MagikGimp
    • By MagikGimp 28th Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    MagikGimp
    Big clive chinese death
    ...Like several others here I ALWAYS try to buy British or european goods and only buy Chinese made items when it cannot be avoided...
    Originally posted by SueU
    Good point but with so much being made in China it's likely you won't realise you're still buying Chinese half the time.

Be VERY careful if buying electrical goods from China, because they do not have the same standards of electrical safety. ...
    Originally posted by grahamm
    What a great opportunity to point out Big Clive's many videos on this very topic. Searching for big clive chinese death is enough to give you a shock without you having to handle the stuff too!
    Last edited by MagikGimp; 28-08-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    • jogu
    • By jogu 8th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    jogu
    I order loads from Aliexpress recently

https://!!!!!!!.com/ybuyrm7d Mobile phone - does everything i need quality spot on
    Originally posted by prenton01
    So you've tested it to make sure it meets the EU limits for the amount of electromagnetic radiation it pumps into your head whilst you're using it, and verified that the Li-ion batteries are correctly overload protected and vented? You're a lucky guy, not many people have access to the necessary level of knowledge and test equipment to do that.
    • luverlyjuberly
    • By luverlyjuberly 9th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    luverlyjuberly
    Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread but Topcashback website are offering 6% cashback when purchasing off Aliexpress.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/blog/highest-cashback-guarantee/
    From September 2008 - Wepromiseto £133.19, Greasypalm £46.16, Quidco £10.40, Cashback Kings £74.54. Vouchers £31.00. myhpf £21.03
    Topcashback £137.54 Matchbetting £24.70 MORTGAGE FREE END OF JULY 2015 (YIPPEE!)
    • scrabbly
    • By scrabbly 12th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    scrabbly
    buying from China
    I have bought several items from China without any problem BUT don't buy clothes jewellery shoes etc. They are TINY. Rings won't fit on even little finger, couldn't get my arm in a jacket ( I'm size 12). Take special care because they obviously know theres a problem and give you measurements in ins or mm. NOTICE THEM !
    • sprocket1
    • By sprocket1 20th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sprocket1
    Do not rely on Ali Express dispute resolution service
    Just a warning not to rely on AliExpress's dispute resolution service. My complaint was rejected as "not valid" because I had not uploaded a video when I could see no requirement to upload a video and a video could not be relevant to my complaint.

I ordered a Li-ion battery charger to charge 9 Volt batteries (described as a "9V Li-ion NI-MH NI-CD 4 Slots Battery Charger". When it arrived, I tested the charger and it cut out when the Li-ion batteries reached 8 volts and would not charge them any further. It charged 9 volt Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd batteries to the full 9 volts. The leaflet with the charger said it was for Ni-Mh/Ni-CD batteries; it did not mention Li-ion batteries.

I asked the supplier to either send me a charger that worked with Li-ion batteries or send a refund. They replied that "this charger just can charge 9f66 and nimh rechargeable batteries ,the illustration of charger is clear". I replied that the order clearly described it as a Li-ion charger and uploaded an image of the order. The seller's AliExpress web-site also clearly described it as charging 9v li-ion batteries.

The dispute went to Ali-Express for resolution and they ruled my complaint invalid because I had not uploaded a video. I can not see any requirement in their procedures for a video to be uploaded and can not see how a video would have helped in this case. I have lodged an appeal but do not expect anything.

It only cost me $4.74 so I'll just have to put up with partly charged batteries.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 13th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 3,905 Thanks
    Stompa
    I do find it rather bizarre that the form for entering a UK address at AliExpress is flawed. You get an entry labelled 'City', which contains a drop-down list of counties.
    Stompa
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 25th Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Any cheap way to buy from Indian eBay?
    Hi! Looking to buy from Indian EBay....but most don't ship to the UK. Looked at EBay easypay....BUT the more limited choices are nearly UK prices or more! I realise that resellers fees, customs charges etc are included in EBay easypay....,but there MUST be a cheaper way to do it?

Any ideas guys?

Happy Xmas!
    Last edited by DEBTMONKEY1A; 25-12-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 28th Oct 18, 1:22 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Chinese sites, my finding/experiences so far & any other tips???
    Hi all,

For the help of other forumites.....my experience of above sites. All OK for SMALL electrical (is biggest thing is Android TV BOXES), Gearbest/Ali Express/DH GATE SEEM FAIRLY LEVEL, Ali Express just pipping the others price/choice wise. Also Ali Express
    good for USB stocks/aromatherapy diffusers, small car electronics like temperature readers etc.

Clothes, men's jackets/coats, DH GATE seems the urber cheapest place! Aware of adding 2 to 3 sizes on top of Asian size to get correct fit.....I'm M in UK but XXL in China lol!

I always try & keep at/under the £15 mark per order to avoid fees, etc & use the slow, free shipping.

I also pay in dollars on a Tandem Credit Card, perfect exchange, no loading ( how tight am I???! Lol). As the Ali Express she is HUGE I use thieve.co for ideas, it's great & easy.

A y other experiences/advice for other Chinese sites that people have used? Its so much information just on ONE site that any recommendations from other kind forumites would be great?

Thanks in advance for any other info!
    ??
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 28th Oct 18, 6:32 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    We use Fasttech and have done for several years.
    • DEBTMONKEY1A
    • By DEBTMONKEY1A 28th Oct 18, 1:15 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    DEBTMONKEY1A
    Thanks MovingForwards, much easier to navigate than Ali Express or Ali Baba! Like the easy to read interface.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 31st Oct 18, 12:51 PM
    • 35,226 Posts
    • 41,283 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Just got my 2nd Xiaomi mobile from AliExpress , first one dodged customs charges , this 2nd one got stopped by royal mail while I paid the £12.99 charge . Painless online payment and gets delivered 2 days later.

It's still a huge bargain either way
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • CumbrianWolf
    • By CumbrianWolf 12th Dec 18, 8:14 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    CumbrianWolf
    Buying from Ali-express
    Sorry if this isnít the right section

I am looking to by chandelier light and wall lights from Ali-express.

The lights which we have fallen in love with are only available on amazon/eBay/ Ali-express via china. (im aware they wont come with british standard gurantees etc)

I have never purchased from Ali-express before and I am conscious I may be hit by customs charges

I am looking to purchase three lights approximately £30-40 in value each.

Am I definitely going to get hit with a customs change? With delivery being free, am I best to split the order and order each separately rather than as one big order to try to avoid any customs changes.

Thanks for any advice. This is a new marketplace for me.
  • archived user
    Found this hope it helps

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 14th Dec 18, 10:55 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    I'd be wary of fitting such items unless they are safety tested.
    • georgeone
    • By georgeone 29th Mar 19, 7:13 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    georgeone
    I do find it rather bizarre that the form for entering a UK address at AliExpress is flawed. You get an entry labelled 'City', which contains a drop-down list of counties.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    OK - so how does ANYONE successfully get a shipping address entered into Aliexpress? I gave up. Forced to select England (in case they sent it to one of those other well-known parts of the UK, like South Georgia) and remaining fields (State/region, City) contain mixtures of counties and cities, but only a handful of cities, and when I enter 'other' for city, no option to enter manually.

So my address is probably
    - street name
    - county
    - England
    - postcode
    - UK
    and there may or may not be an 'other' in there somewhere?

I did eventually force it to take my city in my profile address, but when buying it will make me enter a shipping address, no option to use profile address.

How does anyone ever get anything delivered?
    Last edited by georgeone; 29-03-2019 at 7:26 PM.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 16th Apr 19, 5:36 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    justaquestion
    Aliexpress Scam or NOT
    Hi folks,

I joined aliexpress aobut a month ago with the promise of a $3 joining coupon and so far no coupon has arrived.

I know its only $3 but its the principle of the thing that counts, I have had three online chats with their customer services and can only conclude that there is not a hope in hell's chance of them honouring that coupon.

They seem to try to put obstacles in my way, and ask for any alternative email addresses etc.

Maybe its just my bad luck and others have got this coupon but I would be very surprised if that is so.

Overall has given me a very unfavourable impression of their business model.
    • BizKiTRoAcH
    • By BizKiTRoAcH 16th Apr 19, 8:59 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 23,094 Thanks
    BizKiTRoAcH
    Not a scam. I got my joining coupon and used it straight away. Been using them for about 6 months, one order didn't turn up, seller instantly sent another one out.

The coupon didn't get sent seperately, it was just on my account once I registered, I just added stuff to my basket and it discounted $3 from it. I really wouldn't be bothered about $3. If you are then it's probably best if you don't use the site as orders can go missing, take ages to turn up or not turn up at all... and while I personally haven't had an issue that didn't get sorted, it's likely to bother you if you're already a little worked up over it and have an 'unfavourable impression' of their business model over a $3 coupon.

Technical mistakes happen, the system may have bugged out and not applied it to the account. The $3 coupon may have been in your account (or basket) straight away and needed to be used within a certain time frame that you missed. Did you read the terms and conditions?
    Last edited by BizKiTRoAcH; 16-04-2019 at 9:02 PM.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 16th Apr 19, 10:21 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    justaquestion
    Thanks for reply.

Yes I did go through all the loops and really checked if it was there but nothing.

As regards the customer service when you do manage to get past the bot, I did find them very unhelpful and felt that they were simply putting more obstacles in my way to get the coupon.

Not to worry, I just deactivated my account, due to this experience I wouldn't want to deal with their customer service again, or even for them to have my personal payment details.

But do understand that others such as yourself may have had a more positive experience with them.
    • BizKiTRoAcH
    • By BizKiTRoAcH 17th Apr 19, 10:20 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 23,094 Thanks
    BizKiTRoAcH
    As regards the customer service when you do manage to get past the bot, I did find them very unhelpful and felt that they were simply putting more obstacles in my way to get the coupon.
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    You also should note that they are primarily a Chinese based retailer so English will most likely not be their first language. Something you may consider unhelpful or possibly rude may just be getting lost in translation.
    • zaax
    • By zaax 17th Apr 19, 2:09 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    zaax
    If a company is outside of Europe you have no chance of getting your money back, unless you paid by credit card
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,670Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin