Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 48
  • daisiegg
    My husband's birthday is now over so I feel like it is a very short time before I can start getting properly excited about Christmas!

I made my cranberry sauce yesterday and froze it. A few weeks ago I made my Christmas cake (which reminds me I need to feed it!) and hm mincemeat, and chilli jam (which is an essential for us over the Christmas period with the cheese board and cold meats etc). I am going to do my Christmas pudding at the weekend (stir up Sunday!)

Presents are virtually all bought apart from one or two little bits for grandparents and a couple of stocking fillers for stepdaughter. She is getting driving lessons as her main present and hubby keeps saying he will get some CDs or something so she has something to open, but I am not convinced so I have put myself in charge of the smellies and girly stocking fillers so she will actually get some!
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 21st Nov 13, 4:15 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    I just thought I'd contribute this as an idea for those hard to buy for people!

There is a scheme where the national theatre, and sometimes the globe, screen live performances through cinemas. This includes plays, opera, sometimes ballet. In the second week of December they are showing the Nutcracker (lovely christmassy story for those who haven't come across it). Might be worth thinking about for those who wouldn't appreciate Hollywoods most recent crash bang fest.

So in December I am now taking my parents out for dinner, then to the cinema for a lovely pre-christmas treat. It'll just be small goodies on the day.
    (In their affluent pre-children days they often went to the Ballet. My dad's reaction when I suggested it, 'its not Berlin is it?' that was about 40 years ago! I promised to make it Berlin if I win the lottery in the meantime, fingers crossed )
    • jools002
    • By jools002 25th Nov 13, 4:05 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    jools002
    Hi all, I have tried a search on here for easy bath bomb recipes but had no luck finding any. Has anyone got a good tried and tested recipe please? Would love to make them with my children to give to relatives. Thank you.
    • skogar
    • By skogar 25th Nov 13, 4:18 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    skogar
    Lavender bath bomb recipe
    I used the Lavender bath bomb recipe on the allaboutyou website. It comes up on google. I'm new so can't post links.
    It seemed to work OK. You need citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, epsom salts, almond oil, food colouring (opt) and lavender essential oil (or other fragrance) for this one.

I've seen recipes that miss out the epsom salts and use the same ratio of citric acid and bicarb as this recipe. You can also use water to bind instead of oil but you must add it VERY slowly, (some people use a spray bottle) or the bicarb and citric acid will react.

There's plenty of recipes on the web.

Hope that helps.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 30th Nov 13, 4:33 PM
    • 29,844 Posts
    • 62,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Candied lemon peel slices question
    Have prepped all the goodies for my Christmas cake and will set to later this evening (I really should have done this in September!). This year I'd like to top with home-make candied lemons slices.

Does anyone know how long they are likely to last? Can I decorate with the slices as soon as the cake is cooled and continue to pour more alcohol on top, or would it be better to wait another month, until I'm ready to serve it?

If I can't make them now, I'll put the lemons to good use in a G&T or two.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 30th Nov 13, 10:48 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    Have prepped all the goodies for my Christmas cake and will set to later this evening (I really should have done this in September!). This year I'd like to top with home-make candied lemons slices.

Does anyone know how long they are likely to last? Can I decorate with the slices as soon as the cake is cooled and continue to pour more alcohol on top, or would it be better to wait another month, until I'm ready to serve it?

If I can't make them now, I'll put the lemons to good use in a G&T or two.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    No idea about length of time, but if it was me, I'd have the G&T
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • craigywv
    • By craigywv 1st Dec 13, 10:07 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 27,825 Thanks
    craigywv
    hi all today I am making more mince pies as the last ones got eaten. so shall freeze these ones. also need to make a choc cake for the son aged 10 as he loves a slice with custard after his dinner ,it will last all week as will slice and freeze individually.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
  • gloomgurlie
    G'day bakers! I'm after some advice - I want to make gingerbread Christmas shaped cookies today and freeze them.

I've read a lot of reviews etc online about freezing at different stages, just wondered if any of you have any first hand experience?

Ideally I want to bake and freeze. Not too fussed on whether they are pre- iced or not but if anyone has any tips for how well icing freezes I'd be very grateful.

2015 - I am determined to lose at least 3 stone in weight and I must pay off at least one of my credit cards...If I keep telling myself, I might start believing it!!!

Save 2 a day for Xmas 2015 Challenge: 56/730

HAPPY NEW YEAR - HERE'S TO A GREAT 2015 FOR US ALL!
  • SunshineFace
    Is there a board for 2014 yet? I found this incredibly useful last year!
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 31st Jul 14, 2:04 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    the special occasions board is rebranded nearer the time to prioritise Christmas
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • rosalie-lavender
    • By rosalie-lavender 31st Jul 14, 2:22 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 4,169 Thanks
    rosalie-lavender
    There is a thread for 2014 running on the special occasions board.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4853442
  • SunshineFace
    Thanks, I'll have a look!
    • BloomingTasty
    • By BloomingTasty 1st Aug 14, 4:33 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 2,537 Thanks
    BloomingTasty
    Its called Stop the Cavalry. Come and join us x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin