Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • nicki
    • By nicki 20th May 13, 2:18 PM
    • 7,285 Posts
    • 88,328 Thanks
    nicki
    I have cards & wrapping paper from last year or was it the year before?

I was putting money away each month to cover gifts etc, but I've had to raid it this month to cover bills after some money didn't show up when it should have done, so I need to put that back.

DD's main gift is already decided on, and I'm watching it on Am@zon like a hawk for it to go down in price. I just hope its not in the next couple of weeks when I haven't got the money Her yearly DVD box set is also picked out. But that's it. She's 12, but not a girly-girl so goes through phases of wanting beauty things, then there are other times where she just doesn't want to know anything remotely feminine! I am, however, determined to finish the little craft project I started for her when she was in year 3 (she's now in year 7 ) if I can just work out where I am up to!

I have a 4 kids to buy for this year excluding DD, from 8 months to 5 1/2 years old, but I'll leave them until after September so I know what they're "into" Not sure what to do for adults, I have an idea but it'll involve me speaking to other members of the family first as I'll need certain persons to co-operate or it won't happen
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 20th May 13, 3:08 PM
    • 6,907 Posts
    • 45,104 Thanks
    Pooky
    Ohhhh Christmas! I need to get my backside in gear and formulate a plan. I've only got one nephew left to buy for this year (we stop gifts at 16 in this family) and my own two DDs. DH andi don't buy for each other and it's a homemade gift for Inlaws and parents, but I'm stumped as to what homemade pressie that will be. I was aiming to make patchwork table runners and placemats but haven't even started them. I normally add home made chutney and chilli jam to the parcel so could do with finding some suitable baskets/boxes......I shall put it on my "to find at a boot fair" list.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • alfsmum
    • By alfsmum 20th May 13, 3:33 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 5,860 Thanks
    alfsmum
    I save my two pound coins all year then split the total between my girls to buy what they want. It makes them think hard about what to spend it on as it is 'their' money and not bank of Mum and Dad.

Haven't sent many cards for the last couple of years so have more than enough for this year, also plenty of paper.

I love Christmas and being at home as a family for a few days but hate the commercial side so will be making cakes and puds and avoiding the shops as much as possible, would rather enjoy the extra time with the family doing jigsaw puzzles and just relaxing.
    • MaddyWaddy
    • By MaddyWaddy 20th May 13, 3:45 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    MaddyWaddy
    Great Thread - Thanks Zippychick
    My DH says I start planning the next Christmas on boxing day - what he doesn't realise is I often plan it after I have bought the presents

In the tough times I think it is sensible to plan early for Christmas. Unfortunately for me me, DH, DD and DSD all have birthdays ranging from November - January so we tend to be doubly hit with birthdays and Christmas (that isn't counting everyone elses that lands there too )

My people to buy for list is now up to 24 people and I would be constantly stressed from October onwards if I didn't plan now.

I have been using my cash back money to save for my park vouchers this year so along with commission I am paying 380 for 885 in vouchers - I can not wait until they arrive That said I have still been buying presents - I have got a fair few unwanted Christmas presents from some facebook selling pages. I also have a huge amount of red velvet fabric which came free with my sewing machine (ebay purchase) so I will be whipping that up into homemade stockings / christmas sacks for the younger children

Most people are going to have a home made patchwork tote / drawstring bag with pj's in which I am hoping will add a nice touch - unfortunately there are people on my list that will not appreciate an homemade gift so they will have a homemade card instead

Really need to get cracking with making the gifts rather than listing them - I need to make about one a week to keep on track

DH will also need to go into the loft around October so I can see what we need and what we have - I am aiming for a more hm Christmas this year rather than a commerialised one.

Will subscribe as I love Christmas
    SW member: 09/01/2014
    Weight lost to date: 10lb
    Easter Challenge: 0/14lb
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 20th May 13, 3:49 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 20,518 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one even just thinking about Christmas so early! I usually start on 1 August (Yorkshire Day and bang in the middle of the summer hols), but I'm thinking of making lots of different homemade things this year, so will have to start soon. I used to do that years ago, but lost my way recently, but looking forward to making again.

Besides saving cash and/or buying little things as I see them, I'll be making fruit liqueurs, baking mini Christmas cakes (like JackieO in small bean tins), stitching and sewing various things, and hoping to have a go at crochet to make small things.

Thanks for the inspiration so far, must have a long look at all the links - thanks zippychick for starting us off!

A xo
    Feb GC 0.00/300
    Decluttering 332/2019 items this year
    • madvixen
    • By madvixen 20th May 13, 7:21 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    madvixen
    Yay - Christmas thread

I've got all my paper and ribbons which I picked up in the sales. I have set up my spreadsheet for pressies and have purchased 8 so far.
    It's our first christmas in our own house this year so I'm really looking forward to it.
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 20th May 13, 7:29 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 30,133 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    This year dd1 (who will be 8 on 31st dec) will have a much small pile of presses than dd2 (who will be 2 1/2) as her pressies are much more expensive. But she also has autism and I know she won't really understand why.

Any tips from those who have been through this already?
    • building with lego
    • By building with lego 20th May 13, 7:56 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 5,771 Thanks
    building with lego
    There's nothing wrong with planning for Christmas now - after all this is what all the retailers will be doing as we speak

Originally posted by kittiej
    I just have to respond to this, though it's a little off-topic.
    I discovered last year that the supermarkets place their mince pie/ pudding/ etc orders in February, which is why they start getting stock in in September, as the warehouses get the stock in they have to move it out to make room for the next lot.

So they've already planned it and will likely soon be placing the orders for Easter eggs and hot cross buns!!
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
    • building with lego
    • By building with lego 20th May 13, 8:09 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 5,771 Thanks
    building with lego
    This year dd1 (who will be 8 on 31st dec) will have a much small pile of presses than dd2 (who will be 2 1/2) as her pressies are much more expensive. But she also has autism and I know she won't really understand why.

Originally posted by xxlouisexx56
    Could DD1's presents go into bigger boxes? Or get a huge box for each of them and fill it with their presents and a load of balloons?
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 20th May 13, 8:27 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 36,045 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    FFP - I don't know how old your daughter is, but if age appropriate, there are loads of free downloadable Nutcracker colouring-in sheets on the web. If you're going to look, better to use US spelling of 'coloring'
    Originally posted by Chris25
    Thanks that would be great for the loot bags she's turning 9. Not sure how that happened I swear she was only born a few months ago
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    2 Savers club 2019 20p Savers Club 2019
    BLTW Feb
    2/19
    Pay all your debts by Christmas 2019 #20 paid 100
    • alfsmum
    • By alfsmum 21st May 13, 8:18 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 5,860 Thanks
    alfsmum
    My DH says I start planning the next Christmas on boxing day - what he doesn't realise is I often plan it after I have bought the presents

In the tough times I think it is sensible to plan early for Christmas. Unfortunately for me me, DH, DD and DSD all have birthdays ranging from November - January so we tend to be doubly hit with birthdays and Christmas (that isn't counting everyone elses that lands there too )

My people to buy for list is now up to 24 people and I would be constantly stressed from October onwards if I didn't plan now.

I have been using my cash back money to save for my park vouchers this year so along with commission I am paying 380 for 885 in vouchers - I can not wait until they arrive That said I have still been buying presents - I have got a fair few unwanted Christmas presents from some facebook selling pages. I also have a huge amount of red velvet fabric which came free with my sewing machine (ebay purchase) so I will be whipping that up into homemade stockings / christmas sacks for the younger children

Most people are going to have a home made patchwork tote / drawstring bag with pj's in which I am hoping will add a nice touch - unfortunately there are people on my list that will not appreciate an homemade gift so they will have a homemade card instead

Really need to get cracking with making the gifts rather than listing them - I need to make about one a week to keep on track

DH will also need to go into the loft around October so I can see what we need and what we have - I am aiming for a more hm Christmas this year rather than a commerialised one.

Will subscribe as I love Christmas
    Originally posted by MaddyWaddy
    Love the idea of the HM tote bag, I'd be chuffed to receive one of those.
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 21st May 13, 9:11 AM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 5,808 Thanks
    whitesatin
    Great idea re the tote bag and pjs. I have always intended to make bags instead of always wrapping presents in paper. Food for thought, I need to get planning.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 21st May 13, 9:40 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Nice ideas, thanks. Can you think of something to mix with the lavender to make it more seasonal? Lavender is always appreciated mind you. My little 4 year old grandaughter is addicted to the stuff and is always disappointed if things I make don't smell of it. LOL.
    Originally posted by whitesatin
    I save orange and satsuma peal, chop small, dry and add sweet orange oil then mix with lavender, smells lovely and a bit more seasonal.
    Slimming World at target
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 21st May 13, 10:46 AM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 5,808 Thanks
    whitesatin
    I save orange and satsuma peal, chop small, dry and add sweet orange oil then mix with lavender, smells lovely and a bit more seasonal.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Sounds lovely, thanks. When you say "save", how long before, say December, would you start doing that?
    • jemb
    • By jemb 21st May 13, 11:54 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    jemb
    Ohhh! Which shop in Harrogate?

As sad as it makes me sound, I got some great bargains this week to add to my present stash! A discount shop in Harrogate is closing down and they were selling off Floriography gift sets for 3.50 - rrp 22.50 and 19.99 on Amazon. I came out with 7 boxes!!!! It's gorgeous stuff and at that price I even treat myself to a box!
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 21st May 13, 12:13 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 2,412 Thanks
    honeythewitch

Originally posted by xxlouisexx56
    We used to bulk out the small pile with large and cheap items like sleeping bags and teddy bears and evened up the number of presents with junk from the pound shop so everyone's sack appeared the same size, and everyone had the same number of presents.
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 21st May 13, 10:14 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Been thinking about Christmas already too. Last year we didn't do much as we got married 4 days before Christmas. I made wooden tree decorations, using laser cut wooden shapes, doves and bells, as favours. Nieces and nephews got cash. Ladies got a little Christmas cactus and men got simple gift of smellies or a bottle of something alcoholic.
    Really want to do something personal this year- that shows thought. I know teenagers will prefer cash but for the adults I definitely don't want to do loads of boots giftsets etc. We are due to have our second baby October so will try to get a nice photo of them both in a nice frame as a starting point for each couple.
    As to what else to do I'm not sure yet.
    I had one idea but truthfully I don't think I have the skill or the time. That was to make jewellery rolls. Idea came to me when i was cleaning my necklaces recently. Anyway there are tutorials online and with nice fabric would be a lovely gift idea. Found a nice one here, but there are others on Google.
    http://kathyscrazymoments.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/jewelry-roll.html?m=1
    2016 MFW OPd 2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 2000 2013 9700 2012 2848.39 2011 2509.58 2010 11000 2009 112002008 4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
  • MrsChristmas
    Oh how my eyes lit up 2 days ago when I came across this thread!

I had to create a new folder on the laptop to store all the brilliant ideas as I am determined to be organised & thrifty this Christmas. I'd like it all done, bar cooking & baking, before 1st Dec
    Especially love the Christmas Eve stocking, hug in a mug, hampers wrapped with cellophane & ribbon, cooking the turkey the day before and reheating at the bottom of the oven with turkey gravy, scrapbook for nanny & microwave fudge

I had already started decluttering the house & selling on Ebay so used what I had made to make a start buying a few Christmas presents.
    Managed to grab a brand new East of India (Christmas dec wooden block) sign for each of my friends as they are into shabby chic for 99p each... & the seller very kindly combined postage! Very happy with that
    Also picked up, again brand new, a Yankee Candle Snowman tealight holder with 12 tealights for 7 .... FREE POSTAGE & PACKAGING!
    Haven't decided if this will be a present yet as ~shusssh~ I quite like it
    Then I remembered that I was given a Body Shop gift box & a 'not so expensive' one for my Birthday. I'm not really into smellies so have squirreled these away ready for nanny or an unexpected visiter. So that's at least 4 possibly 5 presents done
    • meg72
    • By meg72 22nd May 13, 8:44 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Sounds lovely, thanks. When you say "save", how long before, say December, would you start doing that?
    Originally posted by whitesatin
    You can start this as soon as you like as once dry it lasts indefinitely, just needs refreshing with oil after a while. It also darkens with time so if you want that lovely orange colour then I would say make a couple of months before christmas.
    Slimming World at target
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 22nd May 13, 9:42 AM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    We haven't even had any decent weather yet. It's silly to be posting a thread about christmas so early.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    So why bother reading it if you think it silly? <sigh> it's not as if its not clearly marked.........

I have subscribed. Not because I really prep as early as you guys, in fact after buying toys in advance last year and then DS changing his interests I swore I'd never start so early again
    However I love Christmas. And I will enjoy reading all about your preparations
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

1,655Users online

Martin's Twitter