Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2013

Hope you all have a happy new year. Here's to 2013!!!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the:
    December 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of 600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at 15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at 280 per month and brought it down to 240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to 260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out 20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for X off a spend of XX - if you had no NEED to spend XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy 7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 #6 #7 #8 & #9 on this thread (the list is growing!!!!!)

For everyones totals, see post #10 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 12-12-2012 at 1:40 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 81
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 18th Jan 13, 8:16 AM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...a small amount of snow here not the load i expected but early days...planning hm fish and chips for tea and maybe a cheeky bacon sarnie for lunch
    i think i might do a roast for sunday as due to the weather i dont think we will be going very far...will need to get some shopping in early next week i hope the shops have restocked after the panic buying...i always try to keep some stuff in and in this weather it comes in useful

take care in the snow tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 18th Jan 13, 8:28 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 27,322 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

NSD yesterday and today. We are having spag bol for dinner. I was meant to be in London for dinner with friends, but we have cancelled due to the snow. Coming down in flurries here in Kent, but not settling - yet.

Waiting for the BG to come and service my boiler - what timing!

Welcome to:
    Verityemilia and Miroslav - I will be adding you to the list in just a tick

Hope you all have a safe and warm day.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • lbnblbnb
    • By lbnblbnb 18th Jan 13, 8:29 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    lbnblbnb
    We get a veg box, not from Riverford, I find it makes me plan round seasonal veg with a few additions.

Having said that, I need ideas to use up two swedes I have....!!!
  • katholicos
    We get a veg box, not from Riverford, I find it makes me plan round seasonal veg with a few additions.

Originally posted by lbnblbnb
    It's lovely mashed with potato. If you have a lot of it, once mashed, it can be frozen and eaten as mash or added to thicken soups or casseroles.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • skilly
    • By skilly 18th Jan 13, 9:20 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly

Hi,found this recipe this morning might try making some later myself.i have been getting a riverford box now for about nine year they great .
    Spiced Swede Cakes

Ingredients

1 small or 1/2 large swede, peeled and diced
    1 onion, finely chopped
    A good splash of olive oil or a nugget of butter
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp mustard seeds
    1 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp turmeric
    A pinch of chilli powder
    A handful of finely chopped parsley or coriander
    2-3 mugs of breadcrumbs
    Olive or sunflower oil for cooking
    It'll take

20 mins (prep) | 40 mins (cooking)
    4 people
    1. Cook the swede in simmering, salted water till mashable, about 20 mins. 2. Meanwhile, fry the onions in butter or olive oil till soft. Towards the end of cooking, add the spices and garlic and cook for a few mins more. 3. Drain the swede. Let it steam for a bit. Mix it with the onion and spice mix. 4. Mash. Season with salt, fold in the herbs. Taste a pinch of the mix and add rev up the spices, if needed. Form into golf ball-sized chunks. If too wet, add breadcrumbs and mix till its easy to shape. Spread remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Roll the balls in the breadcrumbs to coat. Press them into flat cakes. 5. To cook, either shallow fry in oil till golden on each side, or coat them in oil and bake in an pre-heated oiled tray in a hot oven (about 180C/Gas 4) till crisp. 6. Perfect with lime wedges, a herby yoghurt, raita or chutney.
    Delicious as a light lunch with salad, as a starter or a party
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • itsmecathy
    • By itsmecathy 18th Jan 13, 10:05 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    itsmecathy
    Hello all

Poppedinto homebargains yesterday for some vitamins for the kids, also got 3tins of chickpes for 1, so some chickpea curry and cous cous items will be on the menu for next week. Need milk, bread and fruit but otherwise well stocked up.

I feel that as we are doing pretty well to keep to budget, I'm going to use some of it for a trip to the carvery or chinese takeaway this weekend. Sig updated to now.

Sorry to hear about your job loss miroslav. Good luck in finding something else.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 18th Jan 13, 10:32 AM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,921 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I've been in the shops twice this week, first shop cost 11.09 and the next 7.24, giving a total of 18.33 (54.58/year to date). So far, we're averaging around 18 a week, but I've no doubt that will rise quite sharply once the freezer's gone down a bit.

Last night we had a pork shoulder joint that I got in Morrisons when it was 1.50. It'll do us five meals so a cost of 30p/portion, not bad at all. We had it with brocolliflower cheese. My lunches over the next three days will be the leftovers which have been portioned and frozen. I'll need a fresh loaf on Sunday for littlie's school sandwiches - she won't eat anything else at school! And some yogurt/cream. I would get some more nuts, but I'll only just scoff the lot in one sitting

Also last night, my daughter and I watched "What a waste: Tonight". They were showing the lady who was spending around 130 a week and throwing most of it away - e.g cooking FAR too much and them throwing the leftovers in the bin Well, at that my daughter jumped up and started pointin at the telly "Look! Look at that, that's terrible! Look at all that money that she's wasting and that food too, and she's not even using the half of it. She could be eating that food and spending the money on nice things... some people don't even have that money to waste" It really made me laugh/proud - she's six

As for now, I'm headed off out to lunch with my friend - I have no notion for that at all. I'd much rather cook a meal and have it here I did suggest it, but she didn't want to!

Oh! And re the milk thing - it's not just that it's lasting, it's that the other milk just WASN'T lasting - it was going 'cheesy' within a few das of being opened
    • Mrs_T_M
    • By Mrs_T_M 18th Jan 13, 11:53 AM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 13,245 Thanks
    Mrs_T_M
    Oh! And re the milk thing - it's not just that it's lasting, it's that the other milk just WASN'T lasting - it was going 'cheesy' within a few das of being opened
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    By any chance have you checked the temperature in your fridge lately? If it's too warm, even by only a few degrees, it will cause milk to spoil extremely fast. Also, do not keep milk in the door! That's the warmest part of the fridge and the absolute worst place to keep milk, unless you go through a bottle every other day or so.

I've just seen the "What a waste" program and I've started watching the "SuperScrimpers" on the channel 4 website. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the lady throwing away leftovers! Even after the "challenge" they put out for her, I still saw things in her food bin that I would have used. Especially the tops of those leeks! Wash them well, chop them up and freeze them. Then use them in soups, stews, pies, etc!

In the States when I was living with mom after dad passed, we had two nearly no spend months. Only bought milk (we weren't eating bread then), and petrol to get me back and forth to uni (cheaper for me to drive it than live on campus). There is no public transport where I'm from, so that wasn't an option. We could have kept going like that for a good 3-4 more months with the amount of food we had in our freezers. Granted, the 3 big outdoor freezers that are there store food for not only my immediate family, but for my grandmother, aunts and uncles, and cousins. If you buy something specifically for you, put your name on it, otherwise it might get nabbed by another family member.

We need to eat everything that's in our freezer now so I can do a defrost of it. It isn't too bad, but I don't like ice on anything if I can help it. Eating through the freezer is going to be a bit difficult, with me keeping on putting hm "ready" meals in there with leftovers!
    Baby Dale
    26th January 2014 - Forever in our hearts

Eli Gabriel 19th February 2015

• lbnblbnb
    • By lbnblbnb 18th Jan 13, 12:21 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    lbnblbnb
    It's lovely mashed with potato. If you have a lot of it, once mashed, it can be frozen and eaten as mash or added to thicken soups or casseroles.
    Originally posted by katholicos
    Thank you, I am going to do this with one of them

Hi,found this recipe this morning might try making some later myself.i have been getting a riverford box now for about nine year they great .
    Spiced Swede Cakes
    Originally posted by skilly
    Thank you, got this on the go at the moment, just the sort of food I like - spicy!

I have just inventoried my cupboards, need to do the baking cupboard and freezer next but I can honestly say that if we got snowed in we could survive for a considerable time. Why have I got five sachets of mashed potato mix? And a sack of potatoes??

I really need to set a grocery budget. We are going to have to order some heating oil due to the cold snap, I was hoping to get through to June by being extremely frugal with the heating. I think I will be going to the US at Easter to see my brother as he needs support, so that will blow a hole in the budget too. I have been setting a budget of 400 for the four of us plus cat, guinea pigs and chickens, including cleaning stuff and beer/wine. I am sure I can get it lower than that. This thread is an eye-opener. People at work seem to think it is ok to be spending 100 a week for two - Each to their own I guess.

So, will aim for 300 from 19th Jan to 19th Feb (payday to payday for me). Hope that is ok Coxy.
    • chirpycheap
    • By chirpycheap 18th Jan 13, 12:34 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    chirpycheap
    Almost hit my monthly target with nearly a fortnight to go. However I am not looking upon it as a failure more an over ambitious target and on the plus side we are spending a lot less than we were.

I have gone from minimalist food cupboards that lead to take aways and I now have a decent store of household staples that will set me up for a more thrifty lifestyle.

Spent 60 on an Asda online shop. Unfortunately I decided not to buy all my fruit & Veg but to get it from my local greengrocer and I can't get out because of the snow.
    Never mind necessity is the mother of invention and I have some frozen fruit and veg in the freezer.
    Last edited by chirpycheap; 01-09-2014 at 8:27 PM.
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
    • Bluegreen143
    • By Bluegreen143 18th Jan 13, 12:47 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 12,692 Thanks
    Bluegreen143
    Sounds really good and different, where did you find the recipe?
    It was in a recipe book I've got called something like "India's Vegetarian Cooking", I'll post the recipe when I'm home tonight.

Oh and it wasn't me that has a vegan family member but thanks anyway, someone at work is vegan so I'll pass it on
    Married 1 March 2014 DS born 06/12/15

Debts
    CC - 2,182.17/2,182.17
    Family loan 1 - 1,680/1,680
    Family loan 2 - 3,500/5,000
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th Jan 13, 1:25 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    I have been really busy so I havent been keeping up with the thread as much as I like to also I have only had one GC spend, on Sunday, in Mr T for 77.23. I am also including the medicinal McDs (mild hangover) for sunday lunch. The Mr T shop included a lot of toiletries that had all run out at the same time but managed to get our usual shower gels for a 1 each, 2 to use and 2 to store and massive bottles of own brand shampoo and conditioner so should be OK for a while.

I also bought some frozen chicken breasts to use in casseroles. I have never bought these before but since I buy fresh meat and then freeze I can't see there being much difference.

We also bought 4 of the fresh ready meals that were on offer at 2 for 6. These were all 2 very large chicken breasts with a sauce or topping or marinade to cook in the oven. There is a bit too much meat for me in one breast. These have worked really well for us this week with added pots or rice and frozen veg and we still have 2 left for this week. Ideally I would make my own but I pay that for 2 chicken breasts and don't have a lot of time so this is a bit of a compromise for a couple of meals a week.

I have meal planned and have a smallish shopping list for this weekend. If the forecast snow arrives (I am in the NE) we could manage with what we have in but would have to manage without milk for tea/cereal or red wine for DH.

We have eaten a lot of the christmas goodies so I am going to defrost the black bananas I froze a few weeks back and make a doucle chocolate banana bread and I am going to try some GF bread rolls using a prescription mix and the dough setting on my bread maker
  • missmucksmum
    well its a NSD day so far as ocado 1pm delivery cancelled and rescheduled to come between 6 and 9pm. I live on a bank and havent had a delivery from them in a couple of years so was hoping the driver would call when he got to my street and i could help him carry the stuff up the road but dont fancy doin that later when its dark, blummin snow was looking forward to a nice wkend with the kids with nice food, makes me even more p****d off that the ex took the landrover when he went 2 weeks ago!
    January Grocery Challenge 203.50/200
    13NSD
    February Grocery Challenge 59.20/200
  • Hollygym
    Hi all, sitting under the duvet with dd1 feeling sorry for myself as the boiler has broken. Plumber came when I was at work and can't come back til Monday - weather permitting!! Had 3 sick children off school all week, and DS2's 5th birthday on Sunday. We have postponed his party as the flu bug has hit school as well. On a positive note' I've had 3 NSD's!!! Got plenty of food to last at the weekend. DH going to pick up fruit and veg on the way home!!
    The chat and news has kept me going this week. Thanks guys!!
    sealed pot member 100. Saving for a dream holiday for 6!!

100 SPC 6: 338.14
    Jan GC 220.66/400, Feb GC 469/360, March 308/380
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 18th Jan 13, 2:07 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hello! 1.98 spent yesterday in Mr W on a bag of watercress, onions and chewing gum.

Found some bread lurking in the back of the freezer yesterday so defrosted that and made some sandwiches with the last ends of cheese in the fridge, with the last bit of cucumber.

Getting good at clearing some stock - the Teriyaki last night used up the last of a 2 year old bottle of rice wine (had to use a bit of cooking sherry to add since I didn't have quite enough), and the last of 4 year old (they were still okay) bag of sesame seeds.
    Also managed to use up the last of the tonic water and the end bit of a bottle of gin (It was weak, but nice)

I WILL manage to get these cupboards emptier!

Making a Chicken and pepper cashew stir fry with hoisin sauce, red onions and rice tonight. I made an observation yesterday that a lot of my meals (especially the Chinese based ones) are very similar with tweaks here and there. Oh well...

Hope everyone is well. I'm not going to panic buy in this weather because I have frozen veg and meat, pasta, rice, couscous and plenty of spices/chopped tomatoes. If worse comes to worse I can simply walk five minutes down one road to the corner shop, or 15 mins down the road in the other direction to a Mr T express/a number of corner shops.
    Last edited by NickJW; 18-01-2013 at 2:34 PM.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • meg72
    • By meg72 18th Jan 13, 2:14 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Am pleased I decided to shop yesterday as well and truly snowed in today.

Got another lot of whoopsie meat in Asda, spent 15.00 but over so 30.00 worth so stocked for the next month or so.

Just had a phone call from DG2 he cant come to stay as Taxi got stuck in the road. Taxis and buses now not running. I had roasted a chicken for him, his favourite, (bargain at 2.45) so I think I am going to have a play and see how many meals I can make from it.
    Slimming World at target
    • lbnblbnb
    • By lbnblbnb 18th Jan 13, 2:19 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    lbnblbnb
    Skilly, the spicy swede cakes were absolutely lovely, gave me a real lift! I think I will use the other swede I have for the same recipe on Sunday as a starter for our Sunday night curry. Thanks for the recipe.
    • skilly
    • By skilly 18th Jan 13, 2:31 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Skilly, the spicy swede cakes were absolutely lovely, gave me a real lift! I think I will use the other swede I have for the same recipe on Sunday as a starter for our Sunday night curry. Thanks for the recipe.
    You are very welcome glad you liked them I have not made them yet myself I made a Stew instead for tea tonight with all the bits and bobs from the bottom of fridge ,thought I only had one swede in but no got three might try making some and see if they freeze ok .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • MummyEm
    • By MummyEm 18th Jan 13, 3:06 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    MummyEm
    Did shopping yesterday to take us through to next Wednesday. Total spend for Jan so far 126.86 / 250.00. Only have the one big shop left to do so fingers crossed I should be able to come in under budget.

A snow day for us, school and pre-school shut so a NSD here.

Need to figure out a meal for the kids for this evening though as they haven't had cooked lunch due to not being in school. I did buy some salmon to go in tomorrow's fishpie so may use a little of this to make salmon and broccoli pasta- one of their favorites.
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 18th Jan 13, 3:13 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Has been snowing here since late last night and the roads are terrible. We must have at least 7 inches on top of the car and its still coming although not quite as bad as earlier. Most schools were closed early.
    Made some soup for lunch with the odd bits of veg left from last week - potato, parsnip, celery and mushrooms. It was really tasty and warming.
    Tea is going to be some home made lamb burgers - made them yesterday for lunch and have enough left as there is only myself and DH tonight. Took all of 5 minutes to do them.

Hope everyone is keeping safe and warm.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

1,670Users online

Martin's Twitter