Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Apr 10 at 2:53 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2010 at 5:30 PM.
Page 5
  • JayJay14
    Good morning all,

I am please to announce that I have had 2 NSDs out of the three days of my month so far. Any spending today will be unplanned so I need to keep an eye on myself.

Lots of food in the house so may only need F&V for the weekend, but will be in A$da tomorrow so will probably leave it until then.

Hope eveyone has a good bank holiday.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Reporting in with another spend ...can see my number of NSDs dropping whilst Im doing Slimming world -but hey ho I can still keep within budget -Yesterday we were tootling past and outdoor market so popped to see what their fruit was like - I got:-
    • 3kg oranges €3
    • 3kg apples €2
    • 2 big punnets strawberries €2
    which takes me to 7kg apples and 4kg oranges in the house ....*and its only me that eats fruit* -I have to say though that if it lasts me all we I will be suprised

I also picked up 4 packs of back bacon from the NAAFI whilst its still on BOGOF -so €7.90 there ....
    So I need to add €14.90 to my spends,,

The Slimming world beef rogan josh I made went down a storm last night and I don't even like curry -so that is on the "repeat" list,

Today we are having jacket potatoes, cottage cheese and salad for lunch and then Im doing chicken stirfry with a SW recipe for chinese 5 spice sauce for dinner mmmmmmmmm

I should be safe in saying there will be no more spending for the next 3 days *thankyou bankholiday*

Hope everyone has a great weekend...

Almost forgot -Spiggle -I grew everything in pots for the last couple of years and courgettes, peppers etc did fine -I just made sure I put plenty of food in the bottom of the pot before the compost -the courgettes will still get big and have a tendancy to lop over in the wind, but if you get short pea canes you can spike them in between the big "arms" of the plant and stop them moving
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • WelshWoofer
    I'm off to do the weekly shop today.
    I'm going to try going to Mr S (have some Nectar points to spend), Aldi (next door to Mr S) and the cheap shop to see if there's any benefit in doing that for me rather than a quick whizz round the massive Mr T.

Oh, and I have to go to the butchers for meat for OH.

Will let you know how I get on later. 45 or less is the aim (less I hope!)

Good to see you posting again Mrs Mc - missed your updates!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • CaraLaw
    Hi, I'd like to join in please. I'm going to aim for 300 for this month. This is what I *think* I spend currently. Though shall keep all receipts etc to see what it actually is and then I can try to reduce it sensibly over the on-coming months. There are two adults in the house, one child and a cat - and a fussy one at that!
    I swim, so I can eat more cake...
    • lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 1st May 10, 8:41 AM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    lilian1977
    Hi everyone - well, we've just got married so have been eating and drinking well for the past month - that's now left a big hole in our current accounts so we have decided to have a VERY frugal May and only spend 15 per week on ALL food - I'm going to say that's about65 for the month to feed two adults.

I've never done this challenge before so will be reading through all the posts with interest - I usually meal plan but this has fallen by the wayside the past few weeks so that needs taking up again. Have stockchecked the freezer and found quite a bit in there that I didn't know was there, and am going to tackle the dry goods later on.

So, fingers crossed we can do it! If we can, I might try it again for June.

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • highland fling
    Good morning everyone,

my sister has just phoned to say that she has left fish in her fridge for me. So guess I am making fish pie today for dinner. Will pick it up after I have been to supermarket. Have made my shopping list and plan to stick to it with no deviations. Famous last words!!

Sun shining here so might be able to spend a couple of hours working in the garden later.

Have a frugal day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • Aquamarina
    • By Aquamarina 1st May 10, 9:42 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Aquamarina
    Good Morning,
    Please could I join this challenge? I'm going to aim for 350 for the month. This will include food and household products (cleaning etc) but NOT alcohol! I need to deal with this seperately :-) This is for me, DH and three little DDs.
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 1st May 10, 10:02 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Almost forgot -Spiggle -I grew everything in pots for the last couple of years and courgettes, peppers etc did fine -I just made sure I put plenty of food in the bottom of the pot before the compost -the courgettes will still get big and have a tendancy to lop over in the wind, but if you get short pea canes you can spike them in between the big "arms" of the plant and stop them moving
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Thanks very much MRSMCAWBER,

I'll bear in mind your advice on the courgettes. I'm probably generalising far too much so forgive me but if you can grow peppers successfully in pots outside in Germany then they should be fine on the south Wales coast too. I'm thinking in terms of ripening of course.

We have a full bin of good HM compost (the other one got spread around the garden a month or so ago) and so I will use a fair bit of that at the base of the pots for both weight and food. Great tip though so thank you.

Have a great bank holiday,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 1st May 10, 10:14 AM
    • 7,314 Posts
    • 43,643 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi can I join the challenge please? I unofficially did last month and only spent 195 but my dd has moved back home, is pregnant and doesn't the most frugal tastes so I'm going to aim for 230 but hope I can bring it in at less than that... Let's see
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
  • kitschy
    Hello everyone!

Can I be put down for 75 please?

Will be back shortly to report spends as I'm off to Mr A/S now!

Good luck everyone
    Sainsbury's Savings Card 3.55
    March Grocery Challenge 0/60
  • Jedilibrarian
    Due to vet bills and a holiday I need to be super frugal this month so can I be put down for 100 please. Thanks so much.

Last month was a total bust I will do better this time!
  • JayJay14
    Thanks very much MRSMCAWBER,

I'll bear in mind your advice on the courgettes. I'm probably generalising far too much so forgive me but if you can grow peppers successfully in pots outside in Germany then they should be fine on the south Wales coast too. I'm thinking in terms of ripening of course.

We have a full bin of good HM compost (the other one got spread around the garden a month or so ago) and so I will use a fair bit of that at the base of the pots for both weight and food. Great tip though so thank you.

Have a great bank holiday,
    Spigs
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    Spiggle - We had really good results last year with bushy cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets. Did the same with strawberries. We will be doing them again this year. I'm going out today to get some plum tom seeds to add to the collection.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 1st May 10, 11:08 AM
    • 5,102 Posts
    • 49,627 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Afternoon all,

Really bad to-day....have spent 81.76 of my budget but will be really careful for the rest of the month....off on holiday on 30th so am gaining a few days there!

Lovely to see you posting again Mrs MC, you were missed

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • snowball2103
    First spend of the month yesterday at Mr T's, spent 96.18. Almost quarter of the budget gone but I bought dishwasher tablets on offer (didn't need them but too expensive to buy at full price), 300g jar of coffee for 5. I also bought the 2 chicken which I used half of last night with a reduced price cesar salad, the rest is going to be used in a stir-fry tonight. Was feeling almost virtuous until I discovered the bottle of wine that I thought was priced at 4.49 was not half price but 8.99 .

Snowball
    Last edited by snowball2103; 01-05-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling

May Grocery Challenge 244.58/300
    • becky170
    • By becky170 1st May 10, 11:57 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    becky170
    Spent 22.15 in tescos today, which was far more than planned! Decided to try out some different recipes as I've got into a rut with what I'm eating, but it's turning into an expensive challenge!
    MFW 2019 #7 1039/1615
    Grocery challenge June 526.24/450
    Grocery challenge July 187.76/450
  • mummyslittleboy
    Hi

Can I join please really need to cut back on what we are spending as I seem to be constantly broke at the moment

No idea what we spend a month so I would say 250.00 for the month and hope it is no more but its probably going to be a lot more still will shock me into saving being more carefull. I do need to go to Asda today so will be very careful and going to do a list so i know what we need.
    member of the thrifty gifty 2011
  • starflower
    It's been far too long since I've been on here but I need a kick up the butt so I'd like to join the May Challenge please, decided to go for 200 . Not much for 2 adults, 3 kids, but the freezer and store cupboard are pretty well stocked, so should only need bread/milk/fresh fruit & Veg for a couple of weeks before another big shop in the middle of the month.

September Grocery Challenge 181.51/270.00
    August Grocery Challenge 298.60/270.00
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 1st May 10, 12:24 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Spiggle - We had really good results last year with bushy cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets. Did the same with strawberries. We will be doing them again this year. I'm going out today to get some plum tom seeds to add to the collection.
    Originally posted by JayJay14
    Thanks JayJay,

We've got three of the cherry tumbling types but will put them in planters due to a lack of brackets for hanging baskets!

I like the idea of hanging baskets with strawberries, yum! Will have to work on OH. Thanks and good luck with your seed hunt.

Oh while I'm on the subject (and someone may say this is the wrong thread but ) does anyone have any ideas on storing peppers? If they could be done in oil, frozen or something else then that would be great. I'm sure they could be pickled somehow but I have a huge aversion to vinegar and pickles I'm afraid.

Thanks for all the wonderfully helpful replies,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • kitschy
    Eeeek, first spends 25.18. This is my first full month on the challenge so I fear I may have massively underestimated my spends, but it will be a good learning curve!

Off to update siggy......
    Sainsbury's Savings Card 3.55
    March Grocery Challenge 0/60
  • longtermlurker
    Hi, please could I join in. We have been spending 500 a month on shopping and as a start I want to get it down to 450.

Sorry if these are silly questions or already been answered but do we include pet food and things and presents we need to buy?
    I did a shop yesterday, do I include that or start from scratch as it's the first?

I do internet shopping so I very rarely get reduced stuff
    The recipies look great and I will definitely try to cook from scratch more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,652Posts Today

7,150Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin