Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 88
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 5th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Iíve had a Barclays addition account for years. I want to claim the charges back, but I donít have any paperwork i.e statements and Iím even unsure of the year I opened the account. Would I be able to request this from the bank directly?
    Originally posted by Shurl17

If you were unhappy about a packaged account, you can complain but you need to show why this was miss-sold to you with evidence. Given the account was opened, by the sound of it, more than 6 years ago and the fact you'll have been getting annual statements of benefits with details of other accounts, it's quite probably time barred anyway even if there was a miss-selling reason.

If you mean actual charges like late fees etc, then no, you can't.
    • VickyH87
    • By VickyH87 10th Jun 19, 9:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    VickyH87
    Lloydís bank charges and misinformation
    Good morning, could anyone please offer any advice? My dad has a Lloydís account with an overdraft, in November 2017 they upped the interest charges on the overdraft massively, in November 2017 my dad arranged a meeting with the bank to discuss what options he had as the interest charges were so high, as not much could be done he discussed moving banks, the advisor told him there would be no point as all banks would be following suit with these high interest charges... my dad decided to stay with the bank as there would be no point in moving banks if they will all charge the same. Well from my knowledge no other bank is charging interest rates for overdrafts like Lloydís are. I feel like this misinformation has manipulated a man in lots of debt to stay with a bank to pay these high interest charges, if he had moved banks he wouldnít have been charged a quarter of what he has been the past year and half! Does anyone know what he can do from here? Thanks in advance
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 23,002 Posts
    • 25,422 Thanks
    zx81
    He should visit the DFW boards for advice on cutting his costs and repaying the debts faster.

An employee of one bank can't be held responsible of the charging practices of another bank.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Jun 19, 10:02 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Good morning, could anyone please offer any advice? My dad has a Lloydís account with an overdraft, in November 2017 they upped the interest charges on the overdraft massively, in November 2017 my dad arranged a meeting with the bank to discuss what options he had as the interest charges were so high, as not much could be done he discussed moving banks, the advisor told him there would be no point as all banks would be following suit with these high interest charges... my dad decided to stay with the bank as there would be no point in moving banks if they will all charge the same. Well from my knowledge no other bank is charging interest rates for overdrafts like Lloydís are. I feel like this misinformation has manipulated a man in lots of debt to stay with a bank to pay these high interest charges, if he had moved banks he wouldnít have been charged a quarter of what he has been the past year and half! Does anyone know what he can do from here? Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by VickyH87

It was up to him to independently research this, him believing a bank staff member would be able to predict what other banks would offer was perhaps a bit naive.

Do you have any evidence that shows no other bank in a like for like comparison would have raised rates (rather than general interest rate changes)?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,020 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Does anyone know what he can do from here?
    Clearly lloyds have done nothing wrong. So, nothing to complain about there.

He has the choice to stay or go to another bank. Whether another bank would consider him is a different matter though. Banks do not normally like taking on new customers who are immediately in high levels of overdraft that is not easily repaid.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 19, 1:33 PM
    • 24,049 Posts
    • 13,457 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I feel like this misinformation has manipulated a man in lots of debt to stay with a bank to pay these high interest charges, if he had moved banks he wouldnít have been charged a quarter of what he has been the past year and half!
    Originally posted by VickyH87
    Would another Bank have taken on your Dad's existing debt though? It looks likely they wouldn't if he had lots of debt.

I can't see you have any complaint, to be honest...
    • Ehmdc
    • By Ehmdc 10th Jun 19, 7:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ehmdc
    Thoughts please
    Hi

I am currently on a DMP with StepChange, I did have a overdraft of £4000 with hsbc, but managed to use a credit card ( not a transfer) to pay the overdraft off, should this ever have been allowed ?

Another issue

Also I forgot to cancel my direct debit for my mobile contract, (stupid I know) which resulted in me having a unauthorised overdraft and being charged fees of approx £350, the account is now closed, ( closed March 2019) now I am currently on a DMP to pay this debt, do you think I could claim these bank charges back for this period ? (From January 2019)

Any advice greatly appreciated
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 19, 8:39 PM
    • 24,049 Posts
    • 13,457 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    You can't claim back bank charges simply because you "forgot" to cancel a direct debit. You have no one to blame but yourself for subsequently going into the red and incurring charges I'm afraid.

Not sure why you would pay off your overdraft with a credit card, was the interest not higher on the card?

Regardless, it's hardly the Bank's fault that you chose to do this and it certainly doesn't somehow entitle you to a refund.
    • Ehmdc
    • By Ehmdc 10th Jun 19, 9:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ehmdc
    Thank you for your reply

Obviously I didnít make good choices, which is not the banks problem, But debt makes you act crazy, hiding one problem with another, I just was wondering if anyone else that may have been in a similar situation, were the banks were sympathetic, I definitely donít think I am entitled
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 19, 10:43 PM
    • 24,049 Posts
    • 13,457 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I just was wondering if anyone else that may have been in a similar situation, were the banks were sympathetic, I definitely don’t think I am entitled
    Originally posted by Ehmdc
    Post on the "Debt Free Wannabe" board here at MSE, where you'll find people only too willing to offer their experience and support.
    If you are already on a Debt Management Plan then you are already in receipt of assistance. You are unlikely to get any refunds of bank Charges from a closed account, although Banks are certainly required to respond sympathetically to those in current financial hardship. Explain your current circumstance to them, while avoiding placing any blame on them and you may get a refund of (some recent)charges.
    • Nattyc
    • By Nattyc 13th Jun 19, 8:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nattyc
    Can anyone help?? I had monthly fees from both Lloyds and Santander quite a few years ago but have different accounts now so no record of the account numbers or statements. Is there any way I can still do the reclaim for monthly fees? I was sold these accounts under the " this is the account you have to have" remit, not offered other free accounts and didn't know any better! Thanks in advance
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Jun 19, 9:28 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Can anyone help?? I had monthly fees from both Lloyds and Santander quite a few years ago but have different accounts now so no record of the account numbers or statements.
    Originally posted by Nattyc
    You don't need these to make a complaint, they should be able to find you from name/address

Is there any way I can still do the reclaim for monthly fees?
    Nobody "reclaims" monthly fees, you complain about why you feel it wasn't suitable for you and provide your evidence

I was sold these accounts under the " this is the account you have to have" remit, not offered other free accounts and didn't know any better! Thanks in advance
    Can you prove you were told that?
    They don't have to, you're in the internet age, you can easily see the accounts online and look for free alternatives
    Not knowing any better isn't a miss-sale reason

Your main problem here is that if the accounts were opened more than 6 years ago and closed more than 3 years ago (or other criteria is met such as sending account benefit statements advising of alternative accounts) then your case will be time barred
    ďthe concept of a United States of Europe is right.Ē Winston Churchill 1930
    ďI think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...Ē -Winston Churchill 1961
    ďThe future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.Ē
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • Remortgage wannabee
    • By Remortgage wannabee 20th Jun 19, 11:44 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Remortgage wannabee
    Financial disorganisation can I reclaim bank charges
    Iím not proud of myself so please go easy.
    I have struggled all my adult life with banking despite being intelligent, educated and having a good job. For all these reasons I have been able to wing it though up until now but now have ended in a financial mess. With large amounts of credit card debt, high proportion of income spent on servicing high interest credit cards and overdraft and no way of refinancing to lower interest rate because credit score now poor. I have always been extremely anxious about dealing with financial matters and never been able to open bank statements etc - complete head in the sand approach (completely ashamed to say this but being honest)

I am now on a strict budget and am making very small inroads and have learned a huge deal in a very short time. My new approach to finance was born when one of my two banks where I hold current accounts invited me in to discuss my account, this all came out and they helped me work out where I was going wrong etc.
    As part of this I have very painfully reviewed old bank statements and been absolutely horrified to see a dreadful paattern of being in persistent overdraft, going over overdraft limit, getting charges for it at the end of the month usually before payday, these charges taking me over my overdraft limit, starting off he next month down because Iíve been charged so much, direct debits beig bounced, unpaid transaction fees- then end of next month more of the same as all the fees stack up and take me back over my overdraft limit etc.

I am not in severe hardship in that I can afford to service my debts and pay my bills but there is little left and a very high proportion of income going on debt repayment of unsecured credit cards and overdrafts.

There wasnít one particular point I can think of where it all went wrong like losing a job /redundancy etc , I think I have an extremely disorganised chaotic personality and long term have struggled with anxiety, which causes exhaustion and then contributes to poor self-management. My question is can I claim bank charges back on this basis? I reckon I have about £2500 bank charges. I know it is my own fault but I also do feel that the bank could do more to help people like myself and could have noticed that this pattern was happening on a regular basis aover many years. If I could claim back these charges it would pay off one of my overdrafts and would help me start moving forward with rebuilding my credit score thus having a knock on effect on helping me work my way out of this mess. At the moment the credit score is low due to high levels of debt utilisation (pretty much maxed out) and also missed payments. I am working really hard on both these aspects but feel if the back would refund me charges that could be a major boost.

Could I explain this to the bank and would they understand and view sympathetically. I am ashamed even to write it down!

Thoughts and advice much appreciated
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 20th Jun 19, 12:01 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Iím not proud of myself so please go easy.
    I have struggled all my adult life with banking despite being intelligent, educated and having a good job. For all these reasons I have been able to wing it though up until now but now have ended in a financial mess. With large amounts of credit card debt, high proportion of income spent on servicing high interest credit cards and overdraft and no way of refinancing to lower interest rate because credit score now poor. I have always been extremely anxious about dealing with financial matters and never been able to open bank statements etc - complete head in the sand approach (completely ashamed to say this but being honest)

I am now on a strict budget and am making very small inroads and have learned a huge deal in a very short time. My new approach to finance was born when one of my two banks where I hold current accounts invited me in to discuss my account, this all came out and they helped me work out where I was going wrong etc.
    As part of this I have very painfully reviewed old bank statements and been absolutely horrified to see a dreadful paattern of being in persistent overdraft, going over overdraft limit, getting charges for it at the end of the month usually before payday, these charges taking me over my overdraft limit, starting off he next month down because Iíve been charged so much, direct debits beig bounced, unpaid transaction fees- then end of next month more of the same as all the fees stack up and take me back over my overdraft limit etc.

I am not in severe hardship in that I can afford to service my debts and pay my bills but there is little left and a very high proportion of income going on debt repayment of unsecured credit cards and overdrafts.

There wasnít one particular point I can think of where it all went wrong like losing a job /redundancy etc , I think I have an extremely disorganised chaotic personality and long term have struggled with anxiety, which causes exhaustion and then contributes to poor self-management. My question is can I claim bank charges back on this basis? I reckon I have about £2500 bank charges. I know it is my own fault but I also do feel that the bank could do more to help people like myself and could have noticed that this pattern was happening on a regular basis aover many years. If I could claim back these charges it would pay off one of my overdrafts and would help me start moving forward with rebuilding my credit score thus having a knock on effect on helping me work my way out of this mess. At the moment the credit score is low due to high levels of debt utilisation (pretty much maxed out) and also missed payments. I am working really hard on both these aspects but feel if the back would refund me charges that could be a major boost.

Could I explain this to the bank and would they understand and view sympathetically. I am ashamed even to write it down!

Thoughts and advice much appreciated
    Originally posted by Remortgage wannabee

You cannot claim back old charges, period. The 2009 case established that

If you are in financial hardship such as getting charges every month and struggling to pay them, you can ask them for help with the current situation but they do not have to repay you anything, they can simply offer to freeze charges for say 6 months, or help you with a debt plan
    ďI think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...Ē -Winston Churchill 1961
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Jun 19, 12:31 PM
    • 24,049 Posts
    • 13,457 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I reckon I have about £2500 bank charges.... If I could claim back these charges it would pay off one of my overdrafts and would help me start moving forward with rebuilding my credit score thus having a knock on effect on helping me work my way out of this mess.
    You won't be getting a refund of £2.5K I'm afraid.

You can, however, make your case to the Bank and see what debt help they can offer you. They may choose to refund (some) recent charges or freeze interest on your overdraft for a period or ask you to consider debt management.

I strongly urge you to seek help on the "Debt Free Wannabe" section of this website, where you will find a wealth of information and knowledgeable posters willing to share their experience..
    • Remortgage wannabee
    • By Remortgage wannabee 20th Jun 19, 1:29 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Remortgage wannabee
    Thank you very much for the advice. Yes my next step is the debt free wannabee board, Iíve taken massive steps already to cut costs but know there is more to go . Iíve noticed both replies above sound very authoritative - wondered the background eg if you have experience of trying to apply or maybe professional knowledge from working in a bank.? As the advice seems a little at odds with what Martin lewis is now suggesting which is that financial hardship cases may be viewed differently - and there are many categories of financial hardship including debt to income ratio etc so it isnít necessarily about being completely on the breadline . Does anyone else have any experience of getting charges back recently ? Many thanks in anticipation
    • Remortgage wannabee
    • By Remortgage wannabee 20th Jun 19, 1:39 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Remortgage wannabee
    Also just in reflection. Iíve followed the steps in the bank charges reclaiming guide and I think Iím really hoping that someone who has been successful in this area might be able to give me some help with how best to frame my request to maximise chance of success eg should I explain dosorganskatik or should I stick to the facts of the snowball of charges (I have a list of charges and what they relate to and almost all of them relate to going back over overdraft limit when my charges are added on at the end of the month . I donít want to blame the banks and take responsibility for my own actions but at the same time why should the back have sat back and seen this happening month in and out without any attempt to help me break the cycle?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 20th Jun 19, 2:23 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Also just in reflection. Iíve followed the steps in the bank charges reclaiming guide and I think Iím really hoping that someone who has been successful in this area might be able to give me some help with how best to frame my request to maximise chance of success eg should I explain dosorganskatik or should I stick to the facts of the snowball of charges (I have a list of charges and what they relate to and almost all of them relate to going back over overdraft limit when my charges are added on at the end of the month . I donít want to blame the banks and take responsibility for my own actions but at the same time why should the back have sat back and seen this happening month in and out without any attempt to help me break the cycle?

As above, banks look at current financial hardship only. They must look at this and your cycle of charges causing charges and struggling to clear etc.

What you need to understand is that in 2009 the banks won the case at the highest court in the land (the supreme court) that put an end to historical charge reclaiming, now it's hardship only and there is no requirement for them to refund anything, that is just one option they may consider - equally they may just freeze future charges for a set time
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Jun 19, 2:28 PM
    • 24,049 Posts
    • 13,457 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Iíve followed the steps in the bank charges reclaiming guide
    That guide is hopelessly outdated!
    If you've followed the steps and demanded a refund plus interest and referred to the charges as in any way "unfair" you'll simply be rejected out-of-hand. If you've spent time compiling a list of charges, that will have been completely futile as the Bank already know what you've paid.

What you needed to do was detail your current Financial Hardship with, for example, charges one month causing another round of charges the next. You'll need to show that you are struggling to pay essential bills.

If the Bank do treat your complaint as a Financial Hardship case, your recent statements will be examined to see if you are spending on non-essentials like subscription television, mobile phone contracts and even shopping at the more expensive supermarkets. If you are, you won't be deemed to be in the bank's definition of Financial Hardship.

In any case, you won't be getting a refund of £2500.

Historical bank charges ceased to be reclaimable after the 2009 High Court Case was won by the Banks.
    Iím really hoping that someone who has been successful in this area might be able to give me some help
    Read back through this thread and you'll see only people making the same incorrect assumptions as you have. You'll also see how difficult it is to obtain any large refunds.
    why should the back have sat back and seen this happening month in and out without any attempt to help me break the cycle
    It's your own responsibility to run your own bank account responsibly, not the banks.
    The charges you've paid should be enough of a wake up call.
    However, if you want the Bank to do as you suggest, you'll need to request debt management from them.
    I truly doubt you'll want that.
    • Remortgage wannabee
    • By Remortgage wannabee 20th Jun 19, 7:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Remortgage wannabee
    Thanks thatís helpful - I havenít sent anything yet. Do you mind me asking if you have some insider/ professional knowledge on this as you sound as if you really know what you are talking about. Can the bank force me into a debt management plan because of financial hardship if I do go ahead and request charges back. I was planning on asking nicely as a gesture of goodwill. The definition of financial hardship on the MoneySavingExpert website is quite broad - do banks all have their own definitions?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin