Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    La_Fenice
    oodles of carrots
    • 28th Nov 04, 9:47 PM
    oodles of carrots 28th Nov 04 at 9:47 PM
    Have been given a couple of carrier bags full of wonderful, home-grown, organic carrots still with the muck on 'em. Given loads away, steamed 'em, grated 'em, stir-fried 'em and now have run out of ideas :-/

Don't want to waste them as they are really tasty so can anyone suggest any different ways to cook them please? Also, how long will they keep and what's the best way to store them?

Is it true that if you eat loads then you turn orange :-X
    Don't really want to look as if I've been 'Tangoed!'
Page 4
  • jcr16
    the only way i like carrots is either grated into mash spud before added to shepards pie, or peeled and sliced then cooked in water with a knob of butter and a spoon of sugar. they taste amazing then.

sorry don't have anymore idea's.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • Christmasshopper
    Bake a carrot cake. Yummy
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 1st Sep 06, 9:19 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    I find they keep ages in the fridge anyway.
    Carrot soup is lovely, as is carrot cake.

You are not a vegetarian! Fish have faces too!

I did cook some fish once on a bed of grated carrot, VERY tasty
    by Sarahsaver
    Thanks Sarah :-)

I gave up red meat first, then poultry but never got around to the fish. I find it easier to say vegetarian to people as its less long winded than I don't eat meat or poultry. Also I don't eat that much fish.

I've never had carrot soup although I ahve had soup with carrots in it. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 1st Sep 06, 9:22 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    Carrot soup, carrot mash on its own or mixed with potato, chunks of carrot roasted with other root vegetables, carrot cake.
    by hardpressed

Hmmm Carrot cake! Why didn't I think of that?

I'll have to try carrot and potato mash. it's something that I've never tried before.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 1st Sep 06, 9:27 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Carrot and potato mash is really yummy, even my dd likes it. ROasted carrots are good too, brings out the natural sweetness.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 1st Sep 06, 9:32 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    Carrot and potato mash is really yummy, even my dd likes it. ROasted carrots are good too, brings out the natural sweetness.
    by Sarahsaver

Hmmm I may roast some carrots tomorrow. I don't tend to roast my veg but I have some home grown aubergenes and I bought some peppers this evening too. Add a few onions and other veg - Yummy!
    • sashacat
    • By sashacat 1st Sep 06, 9:55 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sashacat
    carrots freeze well, just blanche them for one minute. I freeze the ones I grow and then just put a handful into stews and casseroles in the winter,
    ps I am veggie too!
    • bltchef
    • By bltchef 1st Sep 06, 10:13 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    bltchef
    hi if you mash carrots try adding a spoonfull of horesradish if you kie that carrot and horseraddish soup spicy carrot soup carrot & ginger soup or carrat & green bean stir fry add some sesame seeds to that one carrot and apple pie you could add some dry fruit I hope you find a help
  • aimeelister
    Indian Carrot and Lentil Soup
    Fry a finely chopped onion in a pan, add a load of grated carrots and 2 pints of vegie stock, simmer. Meanwhile simmer 4 tbsp of red lentils for about 10 mins. Wash the lentils and add to the soup. Add 1 tsp chilli powder and pepper.

Its a quite watery soup with the bits of carrots and lentils. I love it and have frozen it before no probs.
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 2nd Sep 06, 12:12 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    Indian Carrot and Lentil Soup
    Fry a finely chopped onion in a pan, add a load of grated carrots and 2 pints of vegie stock, simmer. Meanwhile simmer 4 tbsp of red lentils for about 10 mins. Wash the lentils and add to the soup. Add 1 tsp chilli powder and pepper.

Its a quite watery soup with the bits of carrots and lentils. I love it and have frozen it before no probs.
    by aimeelister

This sounds delicious. i will have to try this. Thanks
  • ben500
    Grate the raw carrot and add a knob of melted butter use this to stuff the fish, stitch up with a skewer and wrap in foil and throw it in the oven for some minutes (all depends how big the fish is and how much carrot you stuff into it but around 20-30 mins in preheated oven gas 5)

Eat it.
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 2nd Sep 06, 7:24 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    Eat it.
    by ben500

Oh I will! Thanks
  • yellowtigeruk
    Carrot soup recipe.
    I've made this carrot soup recipe many tifmes but have not tried freezing it. However it will keep in the fridge for a day or two.

1 onion, chopped. 8oz potatoes, chopped. 1oz butter or marg. 1lb carrots, sliced. 2pts vegetable stock. 1/4 pt single cream. Salt & pepper to taste.

Fry the onion and potato in the butter/marg for about 5 minutes. Add carrots and stock. Stir. Simmer for 20 - 30 mins until tender. Cool slightly. Puree in food processor or I guess you could try one of those hand held blitzing things. When ready to use you just reheat the amount you need with a bit of cream and add salt and pepper.
    • Lady E
    • By Lady E 6th Sep 06, 2:49 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Lady E
    Carrots
    I have been given a load of carrots and now wonder what else I can do with them apart from boil/steam them . Lord E likes those carrot crisps that you get in fancy restaurants (look like carrot shavings and I assume fried??) but I dont know how to do them . Any suggestions apart from buying a rabbit ?
  • make life easier
    I once made carrot wine - it was nice but very very strong
    became debt free December 06
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 6th Sep 06, 2:50 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Any suggestions apart from buying a rabbit ?
    by Lady E
    Blimey, can rabbits cook? :confused:

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Sep 06, 3:00 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Any suggestions apart from buying a rabbit ?
    by Lady E
    Didn't know that rabbit and carrot went well together

More seriously, we make a delicious pasta sauce (cook a chopped onion and garlic, add 300g pork mince, 4 grated carrots, tin of tomatoes. Simmer for 45 mins, season and serve with basil and parmesan.

I make a huge batch and freeze it for later.

Carrot cake??

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 6th Sep 06, 3:03 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    A few recipes that might help (hopefully)

Carrot crisps - Heat your oven to 180C. Get baking tray and put lots of salt over the base and thinly slice your carrots (cut them on a slant to get a nice sized crisp). Arrange them over the baking tray and lightly drizzle with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Place in the oven until crisp. keep an eye on them because they'll frazzle quickly if left!!!!!

This is my recipe I had posted in Ciao

Carrot and Coriander soup

Ingredients:

1 lb of Carrots
    1 onion
    1 potato
    Coriander (Up to you, you can buy a bunch of the fresh stuff. Asda is the cheapest at 76p per bunch or a jar of the powdered stuff for about 80p from most supermarkets and if using this you'll need 2 large tsps)
    1 litre of cold water
    pinch of salt

Peel the potato and chop up and place in a large pan containing the 1 litre of cold water. Add a pinch of salt to the water and place the saucepan on a medium heat. Grate and slice up the carrots and place (carefully) in the pot. Chop the onion up and also place in the pot. Loosely place the lid on top of the pot and stir occassionly. Now the heat can be turned up slightly.
    Once the vegetables are soft (this takes about 20-30 minutes), remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then using a hand blender, carefully blend the contents of the pot. Once the soup is blended, place back on a low to medium heat and add the coriander (if using fresh finely chop it before adding to the pot). Cook for a further 10 minutes and then serve. A twist of black pepper or a dash of cream will make this look really professional. Its lovely served with warm crusty bread.

This soup can also be made in advance and once allowed to cool naturally it can be stored in the fridge (2-3 days) or in a suitable container in the freezer (up to 3 months).
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Lady E
    • By Lady E 6th Sep 06, 3:05 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Lady E
    Blimey, can rabbits cook? :confused:

by Debt_Free_Chick

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 6th Sep 06, 3:07 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Lady E,

We have an older thread on what to do with carrots that might give you some ideas, so I'll merge your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

There's a thread on freezing carrots that might help too: Freezing carrots

Pink
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,566Posts Today

7,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin