Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1,173Posts
    • 8,836Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 3:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 29
    • keepcalmandcraft
    • By keepcalmandcraft 20th Jun 19, 6:33 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    keepcalmandcraft
    I love the boots Laura. That reminds me that I have a pair my Grandma gave me when I was 16, (now 54) I'll have to dig them out and see if they are still wearable.

PipneyJane, could you get to Northamptonshire easily? Doc Marten has a factory shop at Wollaston and the prices are really good.
    Stash busting challenge 2019: 55/150
    Declutter challenge 2019: 396/2019
    Fashion on the ration 2019: 11/66
    Stash busting challenge 2018: 105/150
    Declutter challenge 2018: 2018/2018

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 20th Jun 19, 8:05 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Thank you for the picture Laura, I love the boots - and that really is thrifty! I'm saving up for a pair of Fly boots, annoyingly the price on Amazon has just gone up from £55 to £85 so I'm going to have to wait for it to come down - but you're making me think that they will probably be a good investment. Not as good as yours, you must have had great foresight and taste at 15!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I think I jut loved the boots, rathr than any foresight involved1

The thing to look for, if planning on wearing boots for years, is whether or not they can b re-soled and re-heeled.

Most - really, a huge majority, maybe 85% - of modern boots are made with what they call a cast monoblock base, which means the sole and heel, the whole underfoot, is cast in one piece of synthetic material. Even a Proper Cobbler can't do anything with those. Once the soles wear thin and the heels wear down, that's it, throw your boots away.
    The other problem to watch for is hollow heels - these are fixed to the boot during manufacture in a way that cannot be replicated later on; so if your boots have heels, they may still be unrepairable if a heel comes loose (traditional, properly-made boots have heels attached from on top, through the inside of the boot where your foot goes, so they can be re-attached like mine just were). The hollow ones can only ever be glued as a repair which won't take the stresses a boot-heel, even a chunky one, is subject to. A solid heel is both nailed and glued, and that makes it repairable.

So look at the sole and heel and see if they are separate bits, and tap the heel to see if it's hollow!

Otherwise, no matter how good the leather uppers, you just won't be able to have them re-soled or re-heeled or repaired...
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 22.5 coupons left out of 66
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 20th Jun 19, 8:51 AM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 36,082 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Love your boots Laura, hope that you had a good meet up and look around Shrewsbury. Last time I visited Ewe and Ply were closed, but no bad things as I really should not be adding to the yarn stash as my productivity (R Arthritis) is woeful.

I bought a nice black and white smart skirt from CS so no coupons used and having had a dry day at last can report that my Sk*tchers sandals are truly trouncy bouncy and so comfortable.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 20th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    PipneyJane, could you get to Northamptonshire easily? Doc Marten has a factory shop at Wollaston and the prices are really good.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandcraft
    Ooooohhhhhh!!!!!

It's do-able (1.5hrs by car), I'll just have to figure out an excuse. Maybe a morning shopping and the afternoon at Bletchley Park?

Naturally, it's at the other end of the county from the bit I used to drive through when I was working out in Oxfordshire, Aynho, so I can't arrange a meeting and "pop to the shops" on my way home. Pity. (I did that once when I was regularly working in Worcester and suffered non-buyer's remorse over a book I'd seen in Hay-on-Wye. Drove for an hour out of my way, then sprinted from bookshop to bookshop until I found the one it was in. All because of this knitting pattern that kept haunting me....

- Pip

ETA: Yes, I made the jumper. Here's a shot of me wearing it in that very same bookshop.

"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 20th Jun 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I think I jut loved the boots, rathr than any foresight involved1

The thing to look for, if planning on wearing boots for years, is whether or not they can b re-soled and re-heeled.

Most - really, a huge majority, maybe 85% - of modern boots are made with what they call a cast monoblock base, which means the sole and heel, the whole underfoot, is cast in one piece of synthetic material. Even a Proper Cobbler can't do anything with those. Once the soles wear thin and the heels wear down, that's it, throw your boots away.
    The other problem to watch for is hollow heels - these are fixed to the boot during manufacture in a way that cannot be replicated later on; so if your boots have heels, they may still be unrepairable if a heel comes loose (traditional, properly-made boots have heels attached from on top, through the inside of the boot where your foot goes, so they can be re-attached like mine just were). The hollow ones can only ever be glued as a repair which won't take the stresses a boot-heel, even a chunky one, is subject to. A solid heel is both nailed and glued, and that makes it repairable.

So look at the sole and heel and see if they are separate bits, and tap the heel to see if it's hollow!

Otherwise, no matter how good the leather uppers, you just won't be able to have them re-soled or re-heeled or repaired...
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Agreed. Particularly re hollow heels which is why I bolded that part of your post. I had a pair of boots similar in style to yours, back in the 1990's. Wore them for a couple of winters and was then heartbroken when I discovered the heels couldn't be repaired.

- Pip

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 20th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 25,825 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    That's a good point, and I'm thinking again about the boots I've had my eye on because they have a mono bloc sole. After all, I don't want to waste those coupons, do I!

Interesting article on the BBC about fast fashion and why buying secondhand is good
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48682493
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 20th Jun 19, 5:08 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm getting a bit more organised - I was tackling the Unsorted Stuff in the tiny flat's sitting-room, and found a 1.5m piece of 150cm-width fabric - so now it's most of the way to being a new top

But now I'm settling down for the evening with three pieces of 12" or 15" cotton that I've been given over the years as FQs that I've been meaning to put plain hems on and turn into colourful hankies for ages!

No coupons when people send you unsolicited bundles of FQs on the assumption that "you sew, so I knew you'd love these" - er no, mostly not, actually... the ones I really dislike (the highly stylised 1960s-style graphic prints of plants and birds that many people adore) are going to be wax-and-jojoba-impregnated food-wraps for Xmas presents to family... but some that I really like are becoming hankies for me!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 21st Jun 19, 9:33 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,306 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Hello All,

I've been a bit MIA with medical nonsense and results gubbins.
    Ignoring it all since there's nothing I can do and it's in the hands of the Gods - read the NHS LOL

Positive notes, a lovely Aztec to paisley style dress purchased, and a lovely Moroccan tile print Kimono - second hand so coupon free, and 500g of illusions Dk will second hand too.
    The wool is currently being used two strand on my small gauge loom and will be an infinity scarf for winter. It's black with a strand of hombre teal, blue, green through it. Will be a little injection of colour of I'm going sleek in black.

My lap blanket for my sister is finished too and I'm really pleased with how that came out, especially the border. Break from larger pieces needed now, hence the scarf.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 43\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 21st Jun 19, 10:11 PM
    • 3,047 Posts
    • 37,659 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    You all put me to shame - all this ice-cream-making, bread-based baking & learning how to do sourdough well, and my fabric & fibre stash, sewing machines & looms are getting very lonesome! Silly really; for a while I couldn't sit or lean forward for any length of time but that's behind me now. Mind you, the garden & allotment are also taking up some of my time, being technically summer.

I found a smashing pair of boots at the recyclers a couple of weeks ago. Leather, good soles & (low) heels, even possibly stylish, in an austere kind of way - according to the DDs I can't be trusted in these matters, but my 16 y.o. god-daughter was with me at the time & agreed - so I coughed up my 50p on the offchance that one or other of the girls would like them. (The boots & both girls being size 7, the god-daughter an 8 & myself a 6.) DD2 has worn them virtually every day since, and tells me they'd have been well over £100 originally. Strange - and rather worrying - what people throw out; they'd had hardly any wear.
    Angie

GC July 19 - £326/£400
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 39 coupons left out of 66

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 23rd Jun 19, 6:53 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    for a while I couldn't sit or lean forward for any length of time but that's behind me now..
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Well, if leaning forward was all behind you, no wonder you had problems!

Joking apart, glad you're on the mend and welcome back to the world of being able to move about without pain or hindrance (or without as much).

And congrats on the boots - I bet DD is pleased!

And also - CAFCgirl, hope your medical things are being eased, improved and generally sorted too!

I'm sock-knitting this morning - it's grey and cold out there. Hard to believe it's about to be a heatwave!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 24th Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,306 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Many thanks Laura - unfortunately not, it's a put up and shut up for life type affair.

In other news, my lovely friend, who I met over 9 years ago from MSE, set me a gift of Caron Big Cakes yarn in Blueberry Torte colours and I love it!!! I'm thinking I may attempt a hacked \levelled up version of my blanket cardigan.

Our final remaining chicken passed away so the coop has been dismantled and being gifted to another friend who sews wonderful funky stuff and she is making me some pants! Happy about that for sure!
    Last edited by CAFCGirl; 25-06-2019 at 7:21 AM.

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 24th Jun 19, 12:57 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Afternoon All

Thriftwizard, I'm glad you're on the mend. I have two very good friends with Crone's Disease, so have an understanding of what you've been living with. Hopefully, you will never have another episode. Did you watch Antiques Roadshow last night? I caught a little of it - a section where a woman had a broach valued. She'd bought it for her market stall, I think. It turned out to be very rare and sold for £13k at auction.

CAFAgirl, sorry to hear your symptoms have been acting up. That is quite a present, your friend gave you. Have you thought about doing an Adult Surprise Jacket? It would look lovely in that yarn and would show off the stripes. It's knitted entirely in one piece - would that be possible on a loom?

In my news, I've finished my latest pair of socks. These were made from leftover bits of alpaca sock yarn, from two different companies. I think they'll be OK in a pair of loafers for work, with the colour change hidden, although I think the colours clash.

I've also finished - bar the sewing up - my latest jumper. Once sewn up, I'll post a photo. Here's a link to the pattern's page on Ravelry.

Hopefully, I'll be able to have a sewing session tonight, so that it won't languish for months (unlike the cardigan I finished last month - that still needs its button band reinforced and the buttons sewn on). Seriously, I think I need some self-discipline. I never used to be so bad at finishing projects but now there are five in my queue to sew up...

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 24th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Nice socks, Pip! And like you say, the join (which isn't that visible anyway) will be barely seen...

CAFCgirl, I am sorry to hear that. I think I'd be whingeing a lot in your shoes, and I admire your calmness...

I've managed to avoid buying yarn! I used yarn I already had to knit myself a sleeveless pullover, a slipover in the old term, which is lovely BUT it turns out that cream, with narrow stripes of a yarn that changes between olive-green, dark and paprika reds and a sort of peachy-fawn-speckle, really doesn't go with blue. And guess what colour seems to feature in virtually all my blouses and shirts?

Soooo... I looked for a really nice cornflower-blue sock-yarn, and found none in my cupboard... I looked at every possible thing - the first was knitted with the sock yarn doubled, so I looked at my thinner yarns as well as DK... but nope, nothing. So then I thought about buying more in the right kinds of blues...

...and had an idea, and I'm using a thicker yarn, in two shades of blue, but it's a barely-plied one, so it squishes down a lot when knitted in narrow stripes on too-small needles!
    In fact it's yarn that is discontinued partly because it pills very quickly - largely because of its very loose structure allowing fibres to rub their way loose. So by knitting it on 4mm needles instead of the more usual 5.5mm or 6mm, and by doing pale-blue, then dark blue, then pale blue striped with 2-round stripes of the cream DK, it should end up as a reasonable fabric.

It should be longer-lasting than the fluffy stuff used on its own (hurrah, more sustainable), and it's coupon-free since I already had it!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 25th Jun 19, 7:33 AM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,306 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    PipneyJane
    Discipline is such an ugly word LOL
    Maybe a 'Nothing new till ones out the queue' sentiment instead

Those jackets do look rather smart, I fear a bit too boxy on my frame though. I'm going to keep them in mind though as for gifts I can see them working.

My Ravelry allure has increased a fair bit after their recent announcement 're Trump support - WAY TO GO THEM I say! Although one would think a site for knitting patterns shouldn't have to monitor political nonsense on their boards.... Nevertheless, taking a stand is to be applauded.

Well done on fighting out your yarns ladies. I must confess I quite like the two-tone aspect on the socks, and the blue combinations sound lovely too!

I frogged the scarf. It wasn't knitting up nicely so I'll think again with that.
    I did manage a sick hat in the chunky mustard yellow yarn from Ald! In my stash. I have plenty left so I'm going to knit that up into a chunky cowl to match ready for Winter.

Then I'll get started with the hacked blanket cardi. My thinking is to start it with less width, and then increase, then decrease to starting width on the other end so when it's sewn together, the skinnier ends are making the arm holes and I'll possibly then make a sleeve cuff in a block colour to match to give it sleeves

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 26th Jun 19, 12:07 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    PipneyJane
    Discipline is such an ugly word LOL
    Maybe a 'Nothing new till ones out the queue' sentiment instead
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    It's partially because I've lost my Friday afternoons - I used to work 4 long days and a half day on Friday - which is when I'd do things that needed "eyes down". I normally knit in front of the telly, so can't be watching anything that needs attention (football, cricket), when I have stuff to sew up/button bands to strengthen/general finishing.

Those jackets do look rather smart, I fear a bit too boxy on my frame though. I'm going to keep them in mind though as for gifts I can see them working.

My Ravelry allure has increased a fair bit after their recent announcement 're Trump support - WAY TO GO THEM I say! Although one would think a site for knitting patterns shouldn't have to monitor political nonsense on their boards.... Nevertheless, taking a stand is to be applauded.
    I totally agree. In fact, I PM'd one of the owners, Jess, just to say "Thank you". I don't know if I'll get a reply, but that doesn't matter - it was the thought that counts.

Well done on fighting out your yarns ladies. I must confess I quite like the two-tone aspect on the socks, and the blue combinations sound lovely too!

I frogged the scarf. It wasn't knitting up nicely so I'll think again with that.
    I did manage a sick hat in the chunky mustard yellow yarn from Ald! In my stash. I have plenty left so I'm going to knit that up into a chunky cowl to match ready for Winter.

Then I'll get started with the hacked blanket cardi. My thinking is to start it with less width, and then increase, then decrease to starting width on the other end so when it's sewn together, the skinnier ends are making the arm holes and I'll possibly then make a sleeve cuff in a block colour to match to give it sleeves
    Pity about the scarf. Do you crochet at all? The yarn might work better with crochet and because you can change direction with crochet, you can colour block with it relatively easily.

- Pip

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 26th Jun 19, 11:15 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,306 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Crochet eludes me.
    One because I cannot fathom tension with it and secondly, and probably more impacting is that I periodically lose the ability to use one eye. Not vision as such, but it spasms (along with half of my face) and I can't keep it open. So anything requiring a specific entry is much more challemging.
    Looming I can do one eye-balled LOL

I have a skinnier gauge loom I can try it on, or perhaps I won't use two strands and will go for something much more open.

No coupons, but purchases to report. A new pair of Animal brand flip flops gifted to me. I love the style because the toe post and upper is made from similar material to wetsuits so it doesn't rub anywhere. I had 2 pairs already but now have a lovely black with tan accent to add. I was in need of some black summer footwear so these will be splendid.
    Also via eBay I have found some denim coloured linen wide leg trousers in petite, again I've always liked this style they do, and they suit me for summer since I detest anything close against my skin.
    My kimono style too arrived too. Very happy with that.

In other news, my gifting blanket I finished went on my IG. A good friend of many years contacted me to ask if she can commission me to make her one. Lovely boost in my self confidence there. Plus she's also au fait with what materials cost (even though I used more basic yarn) and the need to pay people respectfully for their tine.

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 27th Jun 19, 3:19 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    A couple of years ago I made this skirt in lovely light cotton, but stupidly didn't make it with pockets. So I've finally put pockets in - it took a while as I even more stupidly went fancy and did the most complicated pockets there are, with a bias-strip matched to the plaid, inserted into a slit cut in the front of the skirt (get this wrong and you've wrecked the skirt...!).

It worked - phew!

(ignore the pencil guideline still visible on the bias-strip - it'll wash out! )

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 27th Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    CAFAgirl, Iíve been crocheting all my life and I still have to look up how to calculate gauge every time I make something from a pattern.

Are you left or right handed? The reason Iím asking is that Iím left handed but learned to crochet right handed. My right hand just holds the hook while the left one does 99% of the work. I donít know which side of your face has the issue, but it still might be possible to be a competent crocheter with one eye. Donít discount the possibility.

A couple of years ago I made this skirt in lovely light cotton, but stupidly didn't make it with pockets. So I've finally put pockets in - it took a while as I even more stupidly went fancy and did the most complicated pockets there are, with a bias-strip matched to the plaid, inserted into a slit cut in the front of the skirt (get this wrong and you've wrecked the skirt...!).

It worked - phew!

(ignore the pencil guideline still visible on the bias-strip - it'll wash out! )

Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura, I am in awe of your skills. The pockets look as if they were part of the original design. The skirt looks amazing.

- Pip

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 28th Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,306 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I utterly adore that skirt Laura Well done you!
    Looks lovely and flowy. I like the outfit you had put together too

Thank you Pipney I have crocheted some bath puffs before which went ok, but for the most part in comfy with the looms. It might be something I try when I finally get treatment (in the hopes it works), over Winter to keep me occupied.

Used up the last of my chunky mustard yarn making a cowl to match my hat. It's going to be super warm!
    So today, I'll be starting on my gifted yarn and a new blanket cardi.

I may this weekend, dust off the sewing machine too

• diminua
    • By diminua 29th Jun 19, 8:13 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    diminua
    I have to declare another 7 coupons gone on the first summer dress I've bought, or worn, in years -vaguely Empire line, with quite wide straps. I mostly live in black trousers and smart-casual long sleeved tops (which started off being what I wore to work, and has become my 'uniform' at the weekend too), but the weather forecast for this weekend made me think I cannot do that for another summer, it really is too hot. It was actually quite nice today, not only cool but the cotton swishes around my ankles and drapes nicely. And it's not too frilly and flowery, because I'm short, with curls, and have a mild horror of looking too frilly.

That means I'm now on 45 coupons. I do want a new pair of trousers at some point, and I will need new boots in the winter because last year's ones had the moulded sole I can see was discussed above, which cannot be repaired. It's making me think maybe I should invest in a more expensive but really solid pair next winter - less wasteful and maybe cheaper in the long run.

And I want some jeans, but thanks to this challenge they'll have to be perfect as well!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

2,257Users online

Martin's Twitter