Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 13,027Posts
    • 9,742Thanks
    neilmcl
    Gas meter move
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    Gas meter move 20th Jun 19 at 4:35 PM
    Can anyone tell me the likely cost of moving a gas meter from the side of a house to the rear, probably around 5 metres away and who would I contact to do the job.

I'm enquiring on behalf of my dad who recently became disabled after a leg amputation, the problem being that the meter prevents access for a mobility scooter and wheelchair to the rear of the property. Does anyone know if this sort of move could be done for free in these circumstances?
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 20th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/your-energy-meter/move-your-gas-or-electricity-meter/

A bit of info to start you off.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 20th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 3,220 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    Go onto the Internet and enquire with Cadent. They should be able to supply you with an estimate depending on how far the move is. I don`t think they offer any subsidised free move`s . They do free moves if the old pipes are replaced with plastic ones because of gas leaks in the area.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 23rd Jun 19, 10:31 AM
    • 10,883 Posts
    • 9,795 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 23rd Jun 19, 10:31 AM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 10:31 AM
    Cadent do not do free moves if old pipes are replaced !

Cadent are one of several public gas transporters in this country and we do not know where the OP lives.

If the customer wishes to make a case for a move due to disability,they could first speak to their gas supplier.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 23rd Jun 19, 10:57 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    • 23rd Jun 19, 10:57 AM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 10:57 AM
    Can anyone tell me the likely cost of moving a gas meter from the side of a house to the rear, probably around 5 metres away and who would I contact to do the job.

I'm enquiring on behalf of my dad who recently became disabled after a leg amputation, the problem being that the meter prevents access for a mobility scooter and wheelchair to the rear of the property. Does anyone know if this sort of move could be done for free in these circumstances?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    It might be cheaper to move the door
    • Pete99
    • By Pete99 23rd Jun 19, 12:53 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Pete99
    • 23rd Jun 19, 12:53 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 12:53 PM
    Here's another, www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/moving-and-improving-your-home/help-with-home-improvements/
    • Farway
    • By Farway 23rd Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 14,165 Thanks
    Farway
    • 23rd Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    Another source of help may be British Legion if your dad is ex services
    • Dixi
    • By Dixi 23rd Jun 19, 6:07 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Dixi
    • 23rd Jun 19, 6:07 PM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 6:07 PM
    We had to have the gas meter moved as both being disabled we could not get to supply switch. The meter was moved from a cupboard at the side of the house to a new box at the back. The whole job was done for free because of disability. So stress the disability. However, do not let them start work though after lunch otherwise, you have no gas overnight. Just a personal experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,703Posts Today

7,248Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin