Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 20th Jun 19, 5:09 AM
    • 3,445Posts
    • 48,159Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 20th June 2019
    • 20th Jun 19, 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 20th June 2019 20th Jun 19 at 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 20th June 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly and those that are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cloudy but drying up underfoot - forecast is for a drier day - I'll put the first line of washing out shortly.

DH and DS1 now getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and porridge whilst on here. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was HM cheese, mushroom and bacon quiche, chicken portion each for the menfolk, new potatoes/jacket potato, side salad and HM coleslaw - was delicious. Not sure what we'll be eating tonight but I'll find something.

I have my "to do" list today and so I must get going with that, I'm working on Saturday morning so want to get as much done today as possible.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 20-06-2019 at 5:18 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 20th Jun 19, 5:46 AM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 36,131 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 20th Jun 19, 5:46 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 5:46 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. A dry day for us too and yesterday turned out lovely and warm after the early rain.

We finally decided on Ilkley for our bus ride and I enjoyed a plateful of gammon, eggs, chips etc before heading home. I picked up a couple of cs bargains, including another of those bottle lamps that I regretted buying weeks ago! And the bonus was they are now reduced to £2! I also got a bargainous dress in Laura As*ley - £25 reduced from £85!

I arrived home to find the gardener had finished and gone. It looks so much better but very bare and in serious need of more pots etc.

Today is my little brother's 70th birthday! We are out for yet another meal at lunchtime. Just immediate family, nothing riotous! He has booked us a table at a lovely country pub with a very good reputation. So that's me dining out 3 consecutive days this week - no wonder I can't lose weight!!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely. Not seen TAFF for a few days, hope she is ok. And still no sign of NAN or did I miss she was off in the 'van again? Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 20th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 48,475 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 20th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    Morning all

Such a beautiful day here and I was up to see the spectacular sunrise over the Sheffield hills this morning...quite a sight.

On my last full day here then its back to reality and normal food tomorrow Yesterdays were group were far better than Tuesdays but still tough. So many behavioural issues the poor teacher has to cope with.

Food yesterday was a smoked salmon and poached egg muffin for breakfast then halloumi chips and mushy peas for dinner so good

Feels like I have had a mini holiday this week and its done me the world of good whilst still getting paid so its all good. Back to the crazy stuff next week.

Hope everyone is OK and look forward to reading your news
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 20th Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 20,468 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    Morning everyone

Yesterday I went out for lunch with a friend and we had a good catch up because we haven't been out for a while. We are going to make it a regular meet up for lunch every two weeks so that will be good. I was surprised how much having gone out and had company made to my mood. I felt so much better for the rest of the day.

I have heard back from one of the voluntary organisations, and unfortunately I don't meet their criterion. You have to be attending church weekly, and get the vicar/priest to sign the form stating that you do attend. I will have a look on the volunteering web site for something else later.

I'm going to go to Sainsbury early this morning and get a few things to do some baking and have ordered some more paint to be delivered on Saturday. So at least I will be keeping myself busy.

TA enjoy the lunch for your brother's birthday today. I'm pleased that the gardener has done a good job for you.

Taff I have been thinking of you x

I'm missing nan as well TA. If you are reading nan, I hope that you are ok.

Gers It is good that you have found somewhere else to go for a walk. Just going for a walk is a short break away for you and some time on your own which is important.

Have as good Thursday everyone.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 20th Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    • 7,090 Posts
    • 99,528 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Its a nice day here at last and meant to stay nice for a while now fingers crossed, its about time we had some good weather.

Was was good yesterday although busy but certainly got my steps up yesterday.

Dinner tonight will be some salmon I think, I might do a kedgree type meal.

TA your garden sounds lovely, just a warning dont put too many pots out or you will be forever watering, three or four big ones will look lovely and save you a lot of work !

Specky I have pm'd you x

Pup had her haircut and looks and smells beautiful, It will only last until she finds some mud or muck to roll in !!

Have good days all xx
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 20th Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 27,800 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning! Thank you for starting us off nmlc.

I've been up and pottering aimlessly for a couple of hours. I've fed the 'birds' with birdy food plus toast crumbs and so far I've seen a sleek little rat, the fattest pigeon you ever did see plus one sparrow. The others are too busy singing to bother.

It isn't actually raining though the forecast is a bit on and off so I'll probably get on in the garden in between the predicted showers.

Speky, the panny is short for panas*nic breadmaking machine. Redruby it is a far nicer house. Loving having a garden at the back but less so the neglected front garden. I've never seen much point to front gardens as you don't really spend time in them My style of gardening is not very ornamental, I like growing veg but I won't be doing that until we buy another house. I'll grow herbs and salad in pots here. There are trees and shrubs, plus masses of horrid brambles, fewer now though as I've been attacking them with my trusty secateurs and my pruning saw. The bulk of my garden stuff is in store though. I could really use it but will have to manage.

I am awash with batch no 893 of trauma teddies and am carrying on with those in my spare time, plus some freelance work

However, I'm now going to waste an hour looking at the news and despairing.

Hope everyone has a good day
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 20th Jun 19, 6:26 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 53,986 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:26 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:26 AM
    Morning All

Running a little late so this will be brief!

It's raining again so the washing can wait inside.

It was the leavers' party last night, great fun for them but oh my those girls certainly went for the hair, make up and tan. They are 11 or 12 years old and most of them were trying to look like they were 20, very sad to see. One or two looked like themselves but not many.

Another joyous day at work, a lot going on at the moment including some bickering between staff. I think we all need a holiday.

Hugs to those in need, take care. XX
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 20th Jun 19, 6:35 AM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 51,655 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:35 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:35 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

It's sunny at the moment if it stays that way we will move today, maybe to Brimpton, maybe a bit further.
    Then we have a dgd staying as she is suffering from teenage angst and generally being a pain.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 20th Jun 19, 6:55 AM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 50,779 Thanks
    Gers
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:55 AM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:55 AM
    Morning folks.

A large black cloud has just rolled across the sky here, I hope it's going to keep rolling on.

Yesterday I went out for my walk and then visited a couple of friends for a coffee and chat. They are good friends and keep my spirits up when needed. Getting to their house was much more difficult than usual as there's major roadworks going on so I had to drive into their estate a very different way - it's a maze. Thank goodness for sat nav!

I went to the optical manufacturers. It's a tiny wee unit on an industrial estate, two people and a large dog. I've chosen two pairs of spectacles which will cost me £90.00. Now is that not MSE? There are online companies which do the same for much less but I want to try on frames. Anyway, all will be ready tomorrow. I need one pair to keep in the car in case I have problems with my contacts when driving.

I also went to see a local art club exhibition to take photos. DM was a member for years and exhibited every year until last year - she'll enjoy seeing the photos even though I forgot to show her yesterday. Fool that I am!

This morning it's cleaner day so I'll be going out again whilst she's here. Walk and exercises first. I've got some chicken thighs to eat up with wilting lettuce.

Thoughts to all those struggling and happy Thursday to all.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Jun 19, 7:17 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Yesterdays tenuous dinner and a movie ended up happening. We went to see the Maradona documentary which was really quite insightful as I'm no old enough to remember seeing him play in his later years. Such a terribly sad demise once drugs had him in their grip. I recon the full night cost me no more than £35. Coupled with my activities in Glasgow at the weekend, it's been a spendy week.

I didn't get to bed late, which meant I didn't go to the gym this morning. I've my weekly catch up with my lovely wee Gran tonight but I hope I can squeeze in a quick hour in the gym before then.

RR - Got your PM thanks x
    TA - Enjoy your lunch!
    Gers - Very productive and very MSE indeed. Go you!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 20th Jun 19, 7:37 AM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 36,131 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Back again - for another coffee and a rest! I have been out hurling stuff in the skip before it's collected! I have been chucking away loads of neglected plants etc, plus the seedy looking pots they were in. Some of them took a lot of lifting! Fear not REDRUBY, lessons have been learned this time around, I am planning on just a few big Mediterranean looking plants this time. Less is more as they say these days! I think they will look good sitting on the pebbles. I need to go back out shortly and give the patio and drive a much needed hose down to get rid of all the muck that's been trodden around! It's been a mucky job!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 20th Jun 19, 7:58 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 14,600 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all. Still in bed with a coffee. DH is pottering downstairs. He is taking the car to the main dealer for a service at 12.00. It is overdue as he couldn't drive for 3 months. I am going to knit n natter this morning and friends will drop me home.

TA lovely bargains and glad to hear the garden work is finished. You should he able to fill some pots there is still stuff about.

AOD I can't grow lettuce for toffee.

Holly H glad you enjoed an outing yesterday
    HH safe moving to new moorings.

Well I'd better get up. Hugs and spoons to all and have a good day.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 20th Jun 19, 9:28 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 24,338 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,
    Just having a quick catch up with a coffee before I start restoring the kitchen after DGC being here and dropping DGS at school. It was lovely when we set off and started raining just as we were ready to get out of the car.Luckily there were 3 brollies in the car, a big mans one DS used and 2 yellow and orange Minions ones ,but I'm not proud if it keeps me dry and provided DGS much hilarity.Have to confess to getting a few smiling glances on the way in I had also put on some new crop trousers which DS says make me look like a nurse in scrubs - not quite the effect I had in mind!
    TA the garden makeover sounds great

AOD my Panny is on every day!

DGS has discovered the joys of hm bread,toasted with butter,but apparently it's better when Grandpa makes it- brown but not burnt and the butter melted so it's clear. This little boy is a very fussy eater so it's good news.He got a sticker at school too for eating all his dinner.Perhaps he's having a growth spurt.
    I may have a bus ride into town shortly,I'll look to see what the weather is doing,have good days all x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 20th Jun 19, 11:25 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 23,758 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good afternoon everyone

Well the promised sunshine has yet to arrive, it's very grey and murky out there but I am hopeful that it will cheer up later on. Bobby has just been picked up by the groomer so he will emerge in a little while all clipped and smelling gorgeous. I have just had a visit from the district nurse so I am all bandaged up like an Egyptian mummy....well at least my legs are.

Had some annoying news yesterday. The Housing Association will not make any changes to my house for me to have a wet room or adapted loo. This, although not unexpected, makes my life very difficult and I feel quite fed up. I am also cross that they made this decision months ago and nobody got in touch to tell me. It took my new mental health worker to ring them up to find out how the application was going. I don't know if there is anything I can do about it now. I will just have to keep having strip washes at the kitchen sink which is not ideal and I never really feel clean.

Lee is making dinner tonight and we are going to have a chicken and vegetable curry. I am having cauliflower rice with mine as I quite like it and it is so much better for me than rice. I have a nice pot of yoghurt for pudding too as Lee is making a cake for everyone else.

RosyRed, I also had my grandchildren here before school. They had had some breakfast at home but apparently ours are better so they had a brioche and something from the snack drawer. Love the sound of your brolly xx
    Holly, glad you managed to get out with your friend and it put a smile on your face. Hope it continues for you as it will be nice to have something to look forward too xx
    Hester, good luck with the truculent teen, I have a couple you can have if you want xx

I'm off to put the kettle on, hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 20th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 27,800 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Dumpling I wonder if OT department of your LA might be able to assist?

gintotmelinda I have had lettuces in the ground and they have done ok but I did have to do a terrible lot of slug patrol. I grow the mixed 'cut and come agzin' salad leaves in big pots most years, you get a good variety of tastes and they tend to be very prolific.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 20th Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 50,779 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon - I didn't get out this morning as DM didn't want me to go! She's sitting up in the front room for the first time since Saturday so I think it's a confidence thing. Even the walk down the hall has tired her out.

I did go out later and headed for the park - just in time for torrential downpour so I chickened out. Should have waited as it only lasted 10 minutes or so, however by then I was collecting three A mazon parcels from the supermarket and then went for my new specs. I'm really pleased with them and the price. Two 'normal' pairs for £90 and then I added a tinted pair for driving in the sun.

Whilst I was in the SM a nice chap from the DWP rang me, he's agreed that DM is eligible for the higher rate of AA so it'll be awarded from 08 September. There seems to be a six month rule...

I'm now going to read for a little while.

Dumpling - surely there is an appeals procedure? That sounds like a tough decision for you. Can your GP help too? I hope so.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 20th Jun 19, 2:46 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 18,688 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Thank you TA and Holly et al for missing me......and my waffle
    Sorry to have been MIA but by the time I have read / been ready to post, most of you would have been in bed .
    Life has been quite hectic around here with daily chores, GP appointments, the DGC and then to top things off, Dad had a fall while painting fence panels in the garage. He can't remember what he fell over, probably nothing or his feet, then he decided to shoulder charge the garage wall . Nothing was broken thank goodness, but he has cuts and spectacular rainbow coloured bruises galore. He seems to think he's still 60 ! Good job he has good neighbours who were able to pick him up and then call us.
    We are going away on Sat in the van for 2 weeks to sunny ( I hope ) Devon, but first Mr Fix it has an oncology appointment tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it will go ahead this time as it should have been on Wed, but it was cancelled last minute due to staff illness and there was no replacement available . Neither of us are looking forward to it but there's nowt we can do about it. What will be, will be.
    I shall send hugs to all, especially dp1's DGD who I hope gets better asap, the poorly ones and their carers.
    Take care all
    nan xx
    Last edited by nannywindow; 20-06-2019 at 7:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 20th Jun 19, 3:54 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 24,338 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Sorry to hear your Dad has had a fall Nan. hope the bruises mend soon.Enjoy your holiday in Devon.
    Dumpling thats such a shame about your bathroom,I hope someone can help you further.
    I didn't go to town,got sidetracked making soup,so I followed Holly's example and had a walk instead,up to the park and had a hot choc from the cafe.I went to sit in the lovely peaceful walled garden, a delightful little girl about 2ish came and sat right next to me chatting 19 to the dozen,her Mum & Dad looked a bit embarrased- I was pleased I hadn't lost my touch with young children
    Gers hugs,you're doing a grand job.The glasses sound a real bargain.
    Have a lovely evening folks x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 20th Jun 19, 5:50 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 49,600 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Evening all,.

Pleasant day until about 4 , we have had a couple of heavy showers, hope they will die out.soon.

Yesterday's visit to orthopaedic consultant was quite satisfactory, he reckons that, while I will definitely need a hip replacement it needn't be yet, back in six months for further assessment..

My visit to the dentist today was,, in a way, just as satisfactory......my three remaining natural teeth need to be gone, which he will do on Tuesday morning, three new teeth to be added to my denture and I will be brand new! There is the matter of the infection in one tooth, which is the reason for delay in extractions, I am on antibiotics for a week as a precaution.

Best news this week is that the offer that DD3 and DSIL made on the house they wanted has been accepted, so now all that is between them and a family home is all the legal and financial bits. I have told them that neither Mossy or DGD7 will be making the move with them.....they have just ignored me!

Holly, glad that you managed to get out today, spending too much time home alone is not good for anyone.

Nan....hope that your dad will be ok.....it is very difficult to accept that one is no longer a youngster of 60 or so.

OL......what in heavens name were you doing to use all that bleach???

Gers.....congratulations on your bargain specs......my last 2 pairs cost me almost 600e!

TA.....hope that lunch was good, glad that your gardener has turned out well, I really need someone before the brąmbles and other nuisance greenery covers us all.

Hugs to all in need and those I have missed out, take care.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 20th Jun 19, 9:15 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 25,752 Thanks
    snoozer
    OL, I'm sorry but I see no need to use that much bleach in the drains and if you must surely you could dilute it for the dog areas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,186Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter