Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    • 3,315Posts
    • 36,343Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2
    • 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2 31st Mar 19 at 8:31 AM
    Good morning all,

As we've decided that we'd like a new thread for each part of our 2019 challenge I've changed the thread title slightly. I haven't posted the links to previous challenges either - we're all capable of looking them up by title if we want them. If you do get stuck looking for them give me a shout and I'll find them for you. Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of April until the 30th of June (13 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after. I for one will be starting new after this weekend (party Saturday and Mothering Sunday today, oh dear! ).

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge.

Take care all of you

Here are some useful links to help your weight loss journey :-

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links
    Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    The rest on google

Free printable food diary

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator
    July grocery challenge 86.42/300
Page 23
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 16th Jun 19, 3:38 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    K9zz
    Afternoon all,
    Forgot to post my weigh in yesterday so here it is CRANKY: 1lb OFF PLEASE.
    Quite pleased with that as I’ve been feeling like a tub of lard lately. I cleaned the whole house from top to bottom yesterday, took me 8 hours!!! So that will have burned off a bit of fat as I only ate the one meal in the evening of sage and onion sausage meat balls, chips with mayo and salad including coleslaw and potato salad then ice cream afterwards.
    I am impressed with how well a lot of you do, you seem so self controlled!
    Rose Wood, hope you heal up quickly, I wouldn’t be going in to work with that injury so more power to you.
    Luv to all
    K9zz x
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 16th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 9,496 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening All

Its been raining all day on and off so I haven't minded not being able to play tennis quite as much. I had my usual Sunday visitors - Mum for lunch and DS and family for Sunday dinner. DGD stayed to play afterwards but I didn't walk her all the way home as DS walked down to meet her.

Lunch: Egg mayonnaise with spinach leaves, tomatoes and cucumber
    Dinner: Minced beef with mushrooms, cabbage and peas. Everyone else had buttery mash and then scones with jam and cream but I was good and resisted. I even managed to bake the scones without eating any of the mixture.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 17th Jun 19, 1:28 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 5,436 Thanks
    Izadora
    Hi All, sorry for being MIA for a while but I had two weeks off work, a week away and some time at home, and haven't even turned the laptop on.

Cranky, sorry to hear about your friend but how lovely that she was surrounded by people who cared about her.

Rose, sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you heal up quickly

Star Trek Fan and Brambling, sorry to hear that you're struggling at the moment.

Sorry if I've missed anyone else who's having a hard time of it at the moment and I hope things are looking up for everyone.

I haven't been near the scales for a couple of weeks but I'm expecting that it'll be quite bad when I can finally face it. I pretty much lived on pizza on holiday as the vegetarian choices were shockingly bad, drank alcohol every day for a week and then didn't make the healthiest choices when we got home. Just to top it all off we had a party this weekend where I drank my not-inconsiderable body weight in Pimm's and lager, spent most of yesterday eating leftover party food in a bid to make myself feel human and bought a stupid amount of cake for the office today as it's my birthday.

I think it's safe to say that this challenge is a bit of a write off but I promise to try harder for the next one!!
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 17th Jun 19, 2:55 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 36,343 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Second Quarter

01/04/19 - 30/06/19

Imperial (lbs)

Brambling5.5/10-/////STS//STS/STS///
    chocolatebum 7/14 -///STS/STS/STS////STS/-/
    Cranky 5/9 -//STS//STS/STS//STS///STS/
    dandy-candy 0.5/7 -//STS///STS/STS/STS/-/-/
    Doing it my way 0/13 -/-/-/STS/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
    ellie99 4/10 //-/STS/-//STS/-//-/-/
    enthusiastic saver 8/14//////-/-/-/-/-/
    fit and freaky 2/18 -//-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
    Gingerlily 4.5/14 -///////STS/STS///
    GreenEcoGirl +2/11 -/STS//-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
    hatful of hollow 2/11 -/-/-//-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
    Izadora 1/18 -/////////-/
    K9zz 4/12 -////-////-///
    katiepants 6/13 -///-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
    kazwookie 3/12 -////STS/STS/-/STS/-/-/-/-/
    MovingForwards 14.5/20///////STS/STS/
    MovingForwards/-/
    MrsLottie 3/7 //////;STS///STS//
    Munchin 2.5/10 -///STS//STS////STS/-/
    Rose Wood 3/7 -///STS/STS/STS/-/-/-/-/-/
    s_glover 12/16/STS/STS///////
    s_glover STS/-/
    SIRENS 9/10 -//////STS/STS////
    star trek fan 1/14 -///-///-/-/-/-/-/
    VickyV 14/16 -//////////STS/
    vintagetea 3/? -/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-//-/
    zafiro1984 5.5/14 -/-/-/-/-/-/-//-///

Metric (kg)

butterfly2507 0.2/9 -////-/-/

Weight Loss week 1 ..................8.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 2 ............... 35.0 lbs & +0.5 kg
    Weight Loss week 3..................12.5 lbs & 0.7 kg
    Weight Loss week 4....................8.5 lbs & 1.0 kg
    Weight Loss week 5....................4.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 6 ..................14.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 7 ....................5.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 8 ..................11.5 lbs
    Weight Loss week 9 ................... 8.5 lbs
    Weight Loss week 10 .................11.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 11 ...................9.0 lbs
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 5,074 Posts
    • 48,066 Thanks
    Frith
    May I join you, please, after the 30th June?
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 18th Jun 19, 7:51 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 9,496 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Morning

I didn't manage to post before I went to work yesterday evening and am trying not to look at screens just before bed so a quick post now.

I did another 24 hour fast from Sun 5pm to Mon 5pm and am pleased to say I lost another pound so am now back to where I was at the start of the challenge!! I had prawns and mushrooms in a creamy dill and lemon sauce on a bed of courgettes and an apple for my meal at 5pm last night. I did have a coffee with cream during the day so technically not a total fast I suppose.

I can actually put my foot flat on the floor today so can now work on building up my walking again. I tried swimming yesterday which was fine. I cycled there as that way I didn't put as much pressure on my foot which also worked.

Pilates this morning which should be ok. I am doing my exercises every day too but won't even try tennis till after I've had the ok from my physio at the end of the month, even though I know I'll be sorely tempted.

I shall rejoin the challenge for next month but probably won't record any weight till then.

Rose
    Target 8st 12lbs

Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 18th Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    s_glover
    I'm reporting a 2lb gain this week.
    Had a wonderful few days away last week, plenty of lovely food and drink but also plenty of walking and sea air. I actually can back exactly the same weight and have added the 2lbs since returning home last Thursday!! I've lost my mojo a bit around being away so need to get firmly back on it now and try and shift a few more lbs in the next few weeks.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 18th Jun 19, 8:26 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 11,366 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    A loss of 3.25 this week - so pleased

yesterday
    b: usual black tea
    L: 2 eggs, a little bread, fruit
    D: soup, flan with cherries and meringue on top - a weird combination but I'm still using up the frozen but now defrosted items.
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 18th Jun 19, 5:36 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 9,496 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening Everyone

Its raining again here! Am getting really sick of the rain now. It was nice and warm all day so was able to go out without a coat. I had Pilates this morning and managed to walk in flat shoes today so leg is definitely healing. I went shopping in our nearest city this afternoon and did quite a bit of walking. Unfortunately I tried to run across a road as I'd mistimed the Green Man and pulled it a bit! However, it is much better, though I don't expect to be playing tennis for a while.

Lunch: Salmon, boiled egg, cucumber, tomato and avocado
    Dinner: Steak with one tiny new potato and butter and peas. Greek yoghurt with sweetener and lemon juice.
    Snack: Plum

I was hoping to swim tomorrow morningbut won't be able to now unless I go really early as I have to drop DGD off at school. DS and his wife are away tomorrow and need to catch an early train so are dropping her off about 8.15. She is then staying for two nights so its a good job I can walk well enough to do the school run!

Have a good evening everyone

Rose
    Target 8st 12lbs

• MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 18th Jun 19, 5:47 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    My scales have packed up! Think it got fed up of me weighing myself

Will be up and running again in a week or so
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 19th Jun 19, 8:28 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 5,618 Thanks
    Brambling
    Weigh in
    Evening all
    -2.5lb please Cranky. I'm really happy with that I've eaten mainly vegetarian or fish this week and it seems to have worked well. I also have also done a lot of decluttering and have a full garden rubbish bin if I'm moving I'm not eating

B - the usual FF Greek yogurt and fruit
    L - smoked mackerel and egg salad
    D - white beans in tomato sauce with gnocchi
    S - banana, fibre one chocolate brownie
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 20th Jun 19, 6:33 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 20,259 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    -2 lb loss for me please Crankyso sorry to hear about your friend but great you were able to be there at the end.

Brambling great result and looks like you will hit your target.

Sorry for being missing but I was away on holiday with the whole extended family and the scales did not seem to be moving so I stopped weighing for a few weeks but still watched what I ate. As I have now lost 2lb I must have been doing something right. I have been laid up with bronchitis since getting back from holiday so haven't been exercising either. I went for a short walk yesterday though and mowed the lawn so will do a longer walk today if weather stays dry and a section of the south west coast path Friday. I can now breathe deeply without a coughing fit so I think that is an improvement. Not going to meet my weight loss challenge at the end of the month though
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 20th Jun 19, 8:58 AM
    • 856 Posts
    • 4,988 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Weigh In
    Morning All

Small loss of -1lb for me this week.
    I'm okay with that this week, was hoping for more but as long as it's going in the right direction.

Off today and considering mowing the lawn, but it rained yesterday so may be a bit damp still if I don't I'll probably do a HIIT workout as I'm only running twice a week at the moment.

Meals today
    B baked oats with nat yog and mango
    L spicy rice
    D some sort of hamburger pie made with mince and wedges (not tried before got the receipt from an old sw mag)
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 20th Jun 19, 9:22 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 11,366 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Reasonable day to day

B: usual black tea
    L: HM tomato soup, fruit, two twix fingers
    D: veg and some slow cooked brisket, fruit, 2 hobnobs

I'm out most of tomorrow, I'm quietly excited as we're off to see a horse in the breed that we are both passionate about as it may well suit my husband. Wish me luck.
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 21st Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    K9zz
    Reasonable day to day

B: usual black tea
    L: HM tomato soup, fruit, two twix fingers
    D: veg and some slow cooked brisket, fruit, 2 hobnobs

I'm out most of tomorrow, I'm quietly excited as we're off to see a horse in the breed that we are both passionate about as it may well suit my husband. Wish me luck.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Ooh, Zafiro, what breed is it? Good luck!
    • VickyV
    • By VickyV 21st Jun 19, 6:50 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    VickyV
    Weigh in...
    Target Met!

Hi all,

Weighing in this week with a -2lb so 16/16 for this challenge. I'm amazed as I ate and drank far too much over the weekend but I have had 2x1 mile swims and a 6k run, which seems to make a big difference to me (probably psychological as I know exercise is less important for weight loss than diet but...).

Also, it's been great to see 12st something on the scales, it's nearly 20 years since I last saw that! Not sure where my target will be as I don't feel far off and I'm getting a bit of loose skin and I'm not impressed!

Anyway, I'm off to avoid celebrating with biscuits. Hugs to all.

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge July 2019 0/260.
    2019, Q1 Weight loss challenge 20/11lb
    Q2 weight loss challenge 16/16
    Saving money, decluttering and getting fit. How hard can it be?
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 21st Jun 19, 7:41 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 5,618 Thanks
    Brambling
    Target Met!
    Weighing in this week with a -2lb so 16/16 for this challenge
    Originally posted by VickyV
    well done Vicky
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 22nd Jun 19, 7:36 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    K9zz
    WEIGH IN!
    .5lb off for me please Cranky, slow but sure is the name of the game here! Lol.
    • Gingerlily
    • By Gingerlily 22nd Jun 19, 12:41 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Gingerlily
    Well done VickyV

Bit late with my weighin, haven’t been able to get online. -3lbs for me this week please.

Have a good week all
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 22nd Jun 19, 1:18 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 20,259 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Great result Gingerlily.

I succumbed to cake yesterday while doing a coastal footpath walk with my DH. We stopped halfway round at a lovely beach caf! which was recently voted one of the best in Cornwall. Lovely view. Then we had a sandwich and cider in a pub at the end of our 5/6 mile hike and after a bus ride back to the town we left the car an ice cream before going home. Not at all good but hopefully all the exercise will offset it a bit. We have a BBQ this afternoon so won't be good today either.

Hope everyone has some sun today.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

3,072Users online

Martin's Twitter