Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 16,797Posts
    • 143,810Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 9:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 84
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jun 19, 2:59 PM
    • 16,797 Posts
    • 143,810 Thanks
    JackieO
    My soup of the week will be made tomorrow morning and will use up the head of celery that's at the bottom of my fridge plus some diced up spring onions and some paprika to give it a bit of zizz

On checking my fruit stuff I have 6 gala apples and 6 golden delicious apples in the bottom of the fridge plus 4 oranges in the fruit bowl I find keeping the apples in the fridge seems to make them stay crisper for longer.
    had a nice couple of chicken thighs cooked in my remoska for lunch with some cajun spice sprinkled on top with a small sweet jacket potato and some salad. Have enough lettuce for tomorrow and monday but will need another one on Tuesday.Working my way through the freezer quite well and as my lunch was quite filling I am going to have a wrap around 6 .00p.m. with some left over tuna and sweetcorn from yesterday with a little bit of shredded lettuce (I am eking it out ) and some diced cucumber and tomato. I will have enough tuna and sweetcorn to have at lunchtime tomorrow to finish it up as I go to my DDs for sunday dinner in the evening I am going to make my son-in-law a coconut and cherry cake as its his favourite, for tomorrow being Fathers day he has the day off from cooking He is a super son-in-law and normally does all the cooking in their house and I eat Sunday dinner there every week.

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 81,206 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello all, I've been rather awol...

we are on the last day of our holibobs in Tuscany, but had a good 'leftovers' lunch today.. Very little will be binned, although some cheese will have to be.

Hoping to be back on the LFHW bandwagon from tomorrow. OH and DS are staying in Europe for a week while DD and I come home so I have a week of freezer food to look forward to...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 16th Jun 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 8,051 Thanks
    pamsdish
    A friend of mine worries about people handling food she is going to eat, I did point out it would be either peeled or in the case of e.g. tomatoes washed. I admit to buying the bags of mixed leaves now too, I am really not enamoured of lettuce.
    2018 2285/2149
    2019 2000=878-53=825-20=805-25=780-6=774
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 16th Jun 19, 9:11 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,762 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Just wanted to say a quick hello. Life's pretty hectic atm but today I have allocated today to do a big clean up and get some order to the home life (mum's still in hospital and with work and everything.. well things have to slip).

Anyway I will be going through fridge, cupboards and freezer and will write my plan as per norm.

I do know that it is just myself and DH for dinner today. I have lamb steaks and no mint sauce!! Where's my mint plant when I need it

I did freeze the leaves so will defrost into my gravy and then I'll have a hit of mint I hope.. never tried it before.

The frozen blueberries when defrosted were not a hit with the family. I think I will have to utilise them in baking - I will look out for a recipe.

Enjoy today x
    Emergency Fund:0/500 -

Debts paid off
    Loan - 1400 Overdraft - 1700 Phone - 360 Loan - 2109 Provident - 1760 MBNA - 8000
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 47,339 Thanks
    joedenise
    Takingcontrolatlast - the blueberries will be lovely cooked into muffins. Think they are my favourite muffins (not that I have them now as I do Slimming World so too many syns!).

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jun 19, 12:18 PM
    • 16,797 Posts
    • 143,810 Thanks
    JackieO
    Maybe the blueberries had too high a liquid content to freeze well,a bit like tomatoes. I am not mad keen on them ,although I know they are good for you ,always seem a bit flavourless to me, but each to their own .
    Did the SM shop today instead of tomorrow as I ws passing the shop so save me a journey tomorrow Got a nice bag of wild rocket and two bags of cornish new potatoes, all reduced significantly.No more food shopping for me this week as I am now fully stocked with fresh fruit and veg
    I have been digging around in the freezer and found some lost bits which will be utilised this week in the menus.I found a bag of frozen cauliflower that I forgot was in there and as I have some sweet potatoes in the veg box I am going to make later this week a sweet potato and cauliflower curry as I had it when I was away on my last holiday trip and it was really nice I have lots of spices in the cupboard and will also add some cannellini beans to it and perhaps some diced peppers as well.I love a colourful curry I have some frozen mushrooms I can throw in as well.A decent veggie curry will be on the cards I think and any I have left over will get portioned up for the freezer

Hope everyone is well and streetching out the stores OK

Cheers chums JackieO xx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Jun 19, 12:39 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 47,339 Thanks
    joedenise
    Tonight's dinner will be using up the LO lamb & veggies from last night's dinner. Am making a shepherds pie and will have with fried up LO veg.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th Jun 19, 2:49 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 81,206 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Threw away very little from our Italian adventures - I even brought half a bottle of ketchup home!! (And half a bottle of gin ) some dregs of meat and cheese was all that was chucked, we probably bought one cheese too many... OH and DS still away till next Monday so DD and I have been shopping for us and did not go too mad with the aim of using up some freezer and cupboard stores..

Put my finger through a flipping egg in the trolley (still in the box, don't know how I managed it...) so tonight's tea is omelet and salad - sorted!
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 18th Jun 19, 1:44 PM
    • 4,715 Posts
    • 6,113 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Here are some experts at eating leftovers.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Jun 19, 3:19 PM
    • 16,797 Posts
    • 143,810 Thanks
    JackieO
    Here are some experts at eating leftovers.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Bearing in mind that in this country roughly about one bag of food shopping from five bought is the equivalent the food wasted in the UK.
    Those poor folk having to eat such stuff ,I am lucky that being brought up during rationing with a Mum who never wasted anything I can streetch a meal to its limits.

It beggars belief that in the 21st century there are humans eating like this . Thank you for showing the film, perhaps it should be shown to all on mainstream TV and maybe there would be less waste

JackieO xx
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 18th Jun 19, 5:15 PM
    • 4,715 Posts
    • 6,113 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Bearing in mind that in this country roughly about one bag of food shopping from five bought is the equivalent the food wasted in the UK.
    Those poor folk having to eat such stuff ,I am lucky that being brought up during rationing with a Mum who never wasted anything I can streetch a meal to its limits.

It beggars belief that in the 21st century there are humans eating like this . Thank you for showing the film, perhaps it should be shown to all on mainstream TV and maybe there would be less waste

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    It reminded me of someone I saw on the news about ten years ago saying how he'd been reduced to looking for BOGOF deals because of the credit crunch.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • marns
    • By marns 20th Jun 19, 8:26 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    marns
    Felt I had to complain this morning....Not even slightly embarrassed I only paid 70p for the two.

Dear Morrisons,

Well I'd like to complain about my purchase of raspberry turnovers yesterday....I had one for breakfast this morning, intending to fortify myself for 'the mowing of the lawn'. I'm sure you'll understand the need for calorific sustenance when attempting such heroic deeds.

Imagine my dismay when I bit into my invitingly sugar crusted pastry to find it contained NO CREAM! I checked its partner in the 2 pack box to find it similarly deficit in the dairy department.

I hope you will ensure procedures are in place to ensure appropriate dairy distribution in baked goods in future.

Yours kindly

Marnie James

P.S. Seriously NO CREAM IN MY CREAM CAKE!
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 21st Jun 19, 4:47 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,762 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Takingcontrolatlast - the blueberries will be lovely cooked into muffins. Think they are my favourite muffins (not that I have them now as I do Slimming World so too many syns!).

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Muffins it will be Denise - I promise I'll only have one in support of your weight loss

I shouldnt really have any

Debts paid off
    Loan - 1400 Overdraft - 1700 Phone - 360 Loan - 2109 Provident - 1760 MBNA - 8000
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 21st Jun 19, 4:52 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,762 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Maybe the blueberries had too high a liquid content to freeze well,a bit like tomatoes. I am not mad keen on them ,although I know they are good for you ,always seem a bit flavourless to me, but each to their own .
    Did the SM shop today instead of tomorrow as I ws passing the shop so save me a journey tomorrow Got a nice bag of wild rocket and two bags of cornish new potatoes, all reduced significantly.No more food shopping for me this week as I am now fully stocked with fresh fruit and veg
    I have been digging around in the freezer and found some lost bits which will be utilised this week in the menus.I found a bag of frozen cauliflower that I forgot was in there and as I have some sweet potatoes in the veg box I am going to make later this week a sweet potato and cauliflower curry as I had it when I was away on my last holiday trip and it was really nice I have lots of spices in the cupboard and will also add some cannellini beans to it and perhaps some diced peppers as well.I love a colourful curry I have some frozen mushrooms I can throw in as well.A decent veggie curry will be on the cards I think and any I have left over will get portioned up for the freezer

Hope everyone is well and streetching out the stores OK

Cheers chums JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I think you are right about the water content JackieO - anyways I'll make muffins and make room in the freezer.

Your veg curry sounds yummy - I've never made a veg curry before.... another one to try

Debts paid off
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 21st Jun 19, 6:29 AM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 47,339 Thanks
    joedenise
    I've got a veg curry planned for next week so will be chucking in some frozen cauliflower with it. I usually only use cauliflower if I can get one cheap, eg when they are on Aldi Super 6. Usually they're too expensive to chuck in a curry. Never really thought about using frozen veg in it before.

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Jun 19, 7:49 AM
    • 16,797 Posts
    • 143,810 Thanks
    JackieO
    I've got a veg curry planned for next week so will be chucking in some frozen cauliflower with it. I usually only use cauliflower if I can get one cheap, eg when they are on Aldi Super 6. Usually they're too expensive to chuck in a curry. Never really thought about using frozen veg in it before.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    snap so do I joedenise I agree when cauili's are cheap they are great to freeze and use in curries When I was away a few weeks ago I had a delicious sweet potato and cauli curry and it really was so nice and very filling and reasonable cost as well
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 21st Jun 19, 10:09 AM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 47,339 Thanks
    joedenise
    I'm planning on using whatever veg is in the fridge as well as sweet potatoes & cauliflower so probably some mushrooms & peppers as well, depending on how many of them get used over the weekend as we're having a family BBQ tomorrow so will be using some for skewers along with some pieces of chicken thigh.

Denise
    • JIL
    • By JIL 22nd Jun 19, 2:16 AM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 24,014 Thanks
    JIL
    I make a Dahl base and add loads of veg to it.

It's really easy

Gently fry in oil or butter or marg a couple of chopped onions for about 5 minutes. Add a teaspoon of chilli, a teaspoon of turmeric, a teaspoon of cumin, a teaspoon of coriander and a teaspoon of ginger. Add garlic if you want to. Gently fry these off, add a couple of cups of red lentils and 4 cups of water. You can add a vege stock cube for flavour. Cook for abou 10 mins.Then add your veg, tinned chick peas, carrots, spinach, cauliflower. You can also add coconut milk. Or tinned tomatoes, even cashew nuts. Full of protein and cheap to make.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 22nd Jun 19, 2:46 AM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 24,014 Thanks
    JIL
    Here's a really nice vegetable biriani recipe. It freezes well and you can use any veg.
    250 g basmati rice

1 teaspoon of ground ginger
    2 cloves of garlic, mashed to a paste with a little salt or use granules
    2 green chillies, finely chopped (or use more chilli powder)
    1 tsp garam masala
    half tsp ground cumin
    half tsp turmeric
    half tsp chilli powder
    100g yoghurt
    1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
    400g veg such as cauliflower, sweet potato, peas, onion, carrots.green beans.
    prepared into chunks.

25g butter, melted
    2 tbsp milk, warmed
    half teaspoon of turmeric.

vegetable oil, to fry

Soak the rice for an hour and then boil it for 8 minutes.Then drain.
    Mix the spices into the yogurt and lemon juice. Then mix in the vegetables.
    Put a little oil into a frying pan and gently cook all the yogurt and spice coated veg for about 8 minutes, if they get too dry add a little water.
    Put the veg into the bottom of a casserole dish.
    Top with the rice.
    Mix the melted butter, milk and turmeric and flick this around the top of the rice.
    Put on a tight lid (you could use foil) and bake for about half an hour
    When it cooked you can add sultanas, crispy onions, almond/cashews.
    Last edited by JIL; 22-06-2019 at 3:16 AM.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th Jun 19, 7:10 AM
    • 16,797 Posts
    • 143,810 Thanks
    JackieO
    Today I am using up the last bit of my tuna and sweetcorn in a salad I had some on Saturday and a little yesterday on rice cakes for lunch leaving enough left to finish up today.My Dd had bought me some chilli mayo so I mixed it in with the tin of tuna & sweetcorn and it gave it a really nice zip
    Slowly working my way through the freezer and starting to get a little wriggle room in there at last I found some nice cod fillets I had forgotten about so they will be used in a fish pie at some point this week, in fact I think this will be the wek of the fish as I also found some smoked peppered mackerel in there as well so that will be used in a salad as well.This week is supposed to be quite warm so lots of salads will be on the menu. I have a large green pepper I want to use up as well this week so it will be stuffed with mushrooms,cheese and topped with some stuffing mix and roasted in my remoska. Definitely very little shopping at all is on the cards this week

Hope everyone is Ok and using up what they can

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

2,403Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin