Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 25th May 19, 10:55 PM
    • 727Posts
    • 596Thanks
    kangoora
    Best weedkiller for driveway/patio
    • 25th May 19, 10:55 PM
    Best weedkiller for driveway/patio 25th May 19 at 10:55 PM
    It's sending me nuts having to continually clear up weeds growing between the patio slabs (18") and driveway (herringbone pattern bricks).

The main problem seems to be the roots(90% of the time get left behind when doing it by hand (plus the skinned knuckles). I've tried pressure washing the cracks and then re-sanding but they just grow back in a few weeks

Is there an easier way around this or decent weedkiller product people can recommend.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th May 19, 4:52 AM
    • 28,703 Posts
    • 100,652 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 26th May 19, 4:52 AM
    • 26th May 19, 4:52 AM
    You want to buy a product that will persist in the soil/sand beneath the cracks and poison anything that tries to grow there....and so do millions of other people

Governments have decided to ban substances that persist in soil and work by poisoning it. This is because millions of people spreading poisons that end up in water supplies cause problems for wildlife and producing safe drinking water. The last chemical that worked by poisoning soil was sodium chlorate, which was withdrawn in 2011.

So...your basic choice for weedkiller is restricted to a product called glyphosate, which breaks down into non-persistent chemicals as soon as it hits the ground.Sometimes, it has extra additives in branded products, but its action is the same; it prevents plants it touches making food, (photosynthesis) so they die in about 3 weeks. Obviously, this isn't great for people who want instant results and protection from further seed germination.

People will be along with various home remedies shortly, but ever since people have had paved areas there have been weeds growing between the bricks/slabs etc. I used to have a block paved drive and I remember digging out the grot about twice a year, even when sodium chlorate existed. It will be much the same for white vinegar, rock salt or any of the other contaminants people use; they wash away, ultimately into rivers.

In short, it's a maintenance job that comes with the territory.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 26th May 19, 4:56 AM
    • 4,453 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 26th May 19, 4:56 AM
    • 26th May 19, 4:56 AM
    Have you tried a weed burner? I am not saying they are the ultimate solution but they are very easy to use and do give you the satisfaction of an instant result.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 26th May 19, 5:49 AM
    • 6,599 Posts
    • 5,651 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 26th May 19, 5:49 AM
    • 26th May 19, 5:49 AM
    Hi,

have a read here, similar thread.
    Y'all take care now.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 26th May 19, 6:05 AM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 26th May 19, 6:05 AM
    • 26th May 19, 6:05 AM
    Have you tried a weed burner? I am not saying they are the ultimate solution but they are very easy to use and do give you the satisfaction of an instant result.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    I use one and, yes it does give a certain sense of satisfaction as you burn the blighters.

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th May 19, 7:57 AM
    • 28,703 Posts
    • 100,652 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 26th May 19, 7:57 AM
    • 26th May 19, 7:57 AM
    I use one and, yes it does give a certain sense of satisfaction as you burn the blighters.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    I use one too....for lighting the barbecue! Too slow for me and it still leaves the roots.

There's a large version called the Sheen Flame Gun that runs on paraffin, but it needs a fair amount of faffing-about preparation, as you'll see if you Google a You Tube video of it.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • J B
    • By J B 26th May 19, 2:46 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    J B
    • 26th May 19, 2:46 PM
    • 26th May 19, 2:46 PM
    So...your basic choice for weedkiller is restricted to a product called glyphosate, ............
    Originally posted by Davesnave

Also known as Roundup.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 26th May 19, 3:04 PM
    • 8,023 Posts
    • 53,592 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 26th May 19, 3:04 PM
    • 26th May 19, 3:04 PM
    Not sure on the effect overall on the roots but I use boiling water to get rid of unwanted weeds / grass in our path
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• jk0
    • By jk0 26th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 26,551 Thanks
    jk0
    • 26th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 26th May 19, 3:17 PM
    I use Pathclear, which seems to work okay:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weedol-PathClear-WeedKiller-Liquid-Concentrate/dp/B01C60AF1A
    • J B
    • By J B 26th May 19, 3:22 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    J B
    I use Pathclear, which seems to work okay:
    Originally posted by jk0

http://weedicide.co.uk/weedol-pathclear-review/

<<Weedol Pathclear contains the active ingredient, glyphosate diflufenican.>>

• getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 26th May 19, 7:08 PM
    • 36,603 Posts
    • 22,536 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Get a 6 5ltr sprayer from wilko

Get the reduced(75% off min) price stuff at end of season from anywhere.
    (or the strong stuff from other sources)

Spray once a week or as new stuff appears
    (dilute less to be more effective)

Little and often works on the rooted stuff even hard like brambles.
    New seedlings get them early

Regular cleaning helps to stop new seeds and nutrition(dirt) get into the cracks.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th May 19, 8:54 PM
    • 28,703 Posts
    • 100,652 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Also known as Roundup.
    Originally posted by J B
    Just one of the trade names, which people pay more for than, say, Rosate, one of the commoner internet brands.

Pathclear, mentioned above, has an added ingredient, which is claimed to inhibit re-growth for 'up to three months.' Pity about the weasel words. You'd have to see if this worked out more/less expensive over time.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 26th May 19, 10:01 PM
    • 8,138 Posts
    • 6,728 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Roundup, Resolve, Pathclear v Glyphosate is the equivalent of Neurofen v Ibuprofen. There aren't lots of weedkiller manufacturers. One factory, many brands.

I bought a generic weedkiller from Aldi, a huge bottle of concentrate for about 4, the main ingredient is glyphosate.

The equivalent concentrate of Roundup would be 5x the price.

Those adverts cost money.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 26th May 19, 11:19 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    kangoora
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I might try a burner just to have the satisfaction of seeing them burn and then follow up with a generic weedkiller.

Nice to learn about generic weedkiller, I knew about neurofen vs. ibroprufen but didn't know this.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th May 19, 5:49 AM
    • 28,703 Posts
    • 100,652 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I might try a burner just to have the satisfaction of seeing them burn and then follow up with a generic weedkiller.
    Originally posted by kangoora
    If the burning immediately preceded the spraying, there would be no effect, because weedkillers are designed to work on living tissue, as in my original post.
    • mchale
    • By mchale 27th May 19, 10:43 AM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    mchale
    Try rock salt
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • bris
    • By bris 27th May 19, 2:42 PM
    • 8,716 Posts
    • 7,605 Thanks
    bris
    The weed killer is not a permanent solution as no matter how many times you use it they just keep re seeding. You can kill them for a few weeks but life will find a way.

Try scraping out the cracks and use a kiln dries sand with cement in a 6 to 1 ratio to fill the gaps so they have nothing to seed into.
    denying them any where to grow through is really the only way.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 28th May 19, 5:12 PM
    • 1,474 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    JohnB47
    If, like me, you kill anything that you plant, try sowing grass seed on your driveway.

Logically, your seed will not grow and maybe it'll scare the other seeds into giving up. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,646Posts Today

7,458Users online

Martin's Twitter