Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 28th Dec 18, 6:02 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 46Thanks
    David2Prit
    Npower - 2 years of hell
    • 28th Dec 18, 6:02 PM
    Npower - 2 years of hell 28th Dec 18 at 6:02 PM
    Hello all,

I just wanted to gather some advice regarding this, as I am currently thinking of taking it down the route of small claims court.

So around about 2 years ago (23 months to be exact) we had to have a new meter installed at our flat due to the monitor on the then existing one breaking. No worries, that is absolutely fine, crack on.

Slowly but surely we started to see a dramatic increase of the price of our bills. From when we were paying on average £40/50ish (one bed flat), started to become £100, sometimes £200 plus. Obviously to any rational human being that would flag as something being rather wrong, you would think, but not to N-power, oooohhh no, that seemed around about what we should be paying.

So after around 6 months of arguing with N-power I got rather bored and went to the ombudsman, this wasn't being we now had a bill in excess of £1000 (If not more, can find that later if important but at work at moment). So now we sit and twiddle our thumbs expecting Ombudsman to come back with some fantastic news that it was all incorrect.... Na, not a chance! They ruled with N-power and stated that we were using the the amount of electric they said.

So at this point me and my partner were rather deflated, but knew in our heart of hearts that this could not be right, it just couldn't be! We accepted a deal with them in which we were then paying £120 a month to clear the debt in order to take some of the strain off ourselves, and frankly get some breathing space as they started threatening legal action.
    So whilst still arguing and debating with N-power we were not getting anywhere (Why should we, we were in debt to them and the Ombudsman agreed with them), then one morning we got an email stating that our direct debit was going up and we would have to pay £350 a month
    Well, that was it, I ordered my partner to make a cup of tea whilst I sat in bed and started typing a review on N-power Facebook. I had the added advantage that I saw the head office (Or a N-power office) was based in Solihull, I thought this is brilliant, I'm going to be working near that for the next few months, so I shall tell them I will pay them a visit.
    Surely enough they took notice of this, and arranged for someone to test our meter.
    This gentleman who came to test our meter was nice, one of a kind, told me at that even though he wouldn't have the results right away, the meter was fast.

Two weeks passed and we got a call from N-power, yes they confirmed, your meter is clocking up too fast! HOW FAST?!?! I asked barely able to contain my excitment..... 58.8% fast!!!?! WOOOOOOW.
    Now the gentleman from N-power was nice and said don't worry, give him a few weeks as he has to adjust every bill we've had since installation of this meter. No problem, that is absolutely fine thinking this is the end.

Took our meter reading for that month, that'll be £52 please, yes that seems about correct!

Was it the end??? No. They only went and messed up the figures and we were still left with £1200 to pay. So a little confused, I emailed back my figures based on 58.8% deduction, plus the excess we would have paid. Nothing.

I have now gone back to Ombudsman but they are not sure they can take the case as it relates to a previously ruled on case. I asked them even with the knowledge that we were correct and N-power were wrong??? They said they would have to check with the powers that be. So they are currently doing that (To be fair they said it would take a few weeks due to Xmas and New Year).

Now, that is a very light hearted post I have written whilst killing some time at work. I really cannot stress how stressful the whole process has been. Me and the partner have argued, tears, stress, literally wanting to kill N-power, sitting in the freezing cold not wanting to waste any energy and a magnitued of other things.

My question is, if ombudsman rule they can't look into it again, would be have a claim for small claims court? More out of curiosity than anything, because I am not going to let this go without a fight.
    Thank you for any help, I'll be keeping a close eye on this , but for now should go do some work.
Page 3
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 30th Dec 18, 8:18 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    David2Prit
    I keep coming back to the second point I made in Post#23.

In November 2018 with the new meter you have an actual(i.e. not estimated) consumption of 303kWh day and 63kWh night.

Now November is one of the colder months of the year, but whilst not the coldest is certainly above average. Thus you would expect the consumption in November to be more than one twelfth of annual consumption.

However even if we considered your November consumption to be the monthly average, it would indicate an annual consumption of 3,636kWh day and 756kWh night. This is way below the Npower estimate of 5400kWh day and 3504kWh night.

Most importantly the Npower estimate is derived from the ‘corrected’ consumption from 28/02/2017 to 29/10/2018. IMO this raises the possibility that the old defective meter could have been over-reading by more than 58%.

Or of course the new meter is under-reading.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Tell you what, if the new meter is under-reading I’m gonna shoot myslef
    But aye, those are the figures given by myself at the time, and I know them to be correct.
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 31st Dec 18, 12:09 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    brianposter
    In November 2018 with the new meter you have an actual(i.e. not estimated) consumption of 303kWh day and 63kWh night.

Now November is one of the colder months of the year, but whilst not the coldest is certainly above average. Thus you would expect the consumption in November to be more than one twelfth of annual consumption.

However even if we considered your November consumption to be the monthly average, it would indicate an annual consumption of 3,636kWh day and 756kWh night. This is way below the Npower estimate of 5400kWh day and 3504kWh night.

Most importantly the Npower estimate is derived from the ‘corrected’ consumption from 28/02/2017 to 29/10/2018. IMO this raises the possibility that the old defective meter could have been over-reading by more than 58%.

Or of course the new meter is under-reading.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    We seem to be agreed that the idea of a constant 58,8 overreading is not consistent with the OPs usage both before and after the faulty meter was installed.
    The problem seems to be in convincing the OP that the suggestion is not even consistent with his own account of events.
    • B13blues
    • By B13blues 31st Dec 18, 8:21 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B13blues
    And??? They used to read them. They want paying let em read em.
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 4th Jan 19, 12:55 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    David2Prit
    So I’ve gone back and had a look through all the usage etc for the period stated. It looks like last year was amended, but the previous year from feb hasn’t been touched, well according to the online usage thingy.

Submitted SAR requesting everything, that should get all old bills and everything they hold on the account.

Told them about the £3000 plus it’s showing, and still showing, they haven’t done anything regarding that, nice.

Total amounts (can’t get breakdown of day and night)
    2017 Usage in KWH 12,298
    2018 KWH 5384
    2019 KWH (estimated) 16831
    Last edited by David2Prit; 04-01-2019 at 1:02 AM.
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 4th Jan 19, 1:07 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    David2Prit
    Apologies, I lie, December 2018 is still an estimate of 1246kWh
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 25th Feb 19, 8:51 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    David2Prit
    If anyone is interested, NPOWER failed to supply SAR within timeframe. I have today filed a claim against them. They’ve already emailed with what is essentially an admission of guilt, so happy days.
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 5th Apr 19, 4:08 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    David2Prit
    Just to keep anyone up to date.
    I have won judgment in relation to the SAR, and am now applying for baliffs to enforce debt owed to me.

Then applying a new claim against them for the more serious issue (The whole of this thread essentially).
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 19th May 19, 6:09 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    David2Prit
    If anyone is remotely interested by now, Npower have admitted full liability in relation to this account. The account has been cleared, and they are arranging a compensation package.

It took a long time looking into several things including backbilling, getting them to admit in writing they had failed, etc etc etc.

They eventually took notice when I sent them the second Letter Before Action. So a good story to end on!
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 19th May 19, 6:37 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    If anyone is remotely interested by now, Npower have admitted full liability in relation to this account. The account has been cleared, and they are arranging a compensation package.

It took a long time looking into several things including backbilling, getting them to admit in writing they had failed, etc etc etc.

They eventually took notice when I sent them the second Letter Before Action. So a good story to end on!
    Originally posted by David2Prit

Have you checked that they haven't trashed your credit rating (sorry if you already mentioned this - I've not read the whole thread)?
    • wild666
    • By wild666 19th May 19, 6:45 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    wild666
    I always download all bills then if they wipe them you have a record. Outfox the market tried to say my first months bill was £255 after one payment but all their bills had opening reads and as I wasn't up with smart meters and British gas free time gave them the total read as that was all my IHD gave, not other reads for the free time, took me 7 months to get it sorted and my SMETS 1 meter still puts free time reads into another read section (ACT 1)
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • B13blues
    • By B13blues 19th May 19, 9:44 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B13blues
    June 16 when moved in to flat
    £38 - July
    £41 - August
    £37 - September
    £44 - October
    £23- Nov (Holiday for 3 weeks)
    £52 - Dec

That’s just going on payments as I can see that at moment, but as said, bills seem to have disappeared from online account.
    Originally posted by David2Prit
    They're very good at removing things from your online account page, and messing figures up. This is precisely what they've done to me. I'm past caring now, they've got more chance of knitting fog as getting over a grand out of me.
    • David2Prit
    • By David2Prit 21st May 19, 12:15 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    David2Prit
    Yeah credit rating is absolutely fine. We ensured that we set up a payment arrangement to ensure we didn't get debt collection involved. So were overpaying, that is obviously being returned etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

279Posts Today

4,761Users online

Martin's Twitter