Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 14th May 19, 11:21 PM
    • 944Posts
    • 142Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    How to update Operating System
    • 14th May 19, 11:21 PM
    How to update Operating System 14th May 19 at 11:21 PM
    Hi

My own PC Has died on me - see other thread (just in case you can help - SO CONFUSED).

I have now come across my dad's old lap top. It is a Sony vaio - it's old but working. Dad only every used it to watch YouTube videos of Doris Day! So no files / docs etc stored.

Unfortunately it has Windows Vista on it so, now Chrome and Explorer don't want to run properly and are no longer supported.

How do I go about removing Vista and replacing with Windows 10?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 15th May 19, 1:06 AM
    • 8,915 Posts
    • 6,996 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 15th May 19, 1:06 AM
    • 15th May 19, 1:06 AM
    What's the specific model of the laptop?

If it's running Vista, it's probably around 10 years old. There might not be any Win10 drivers available for it. And, given the cost of a Windows 10 licence, it might be better putting the money towards a new laptop instead...?

If you're feeling brave, Linux almost certainly has drivers to get it running pretty well.
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 15th May 19, 7:44 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    • 15th May 19, 7:44 AM
    • 15th May 19, 7:44 AM
    What's the specific model of the laptop?

If it's running Vista, it's probably around 10 years old. There might not be any Win10 drivers available for it. And, given the cost of a Windows 10 licence, it might be better putting the money towards a new laptop instead...?

If you're feeling brave, Linux almost certainly has drivers to get it running pretty well.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Awe, I did think the Windows 10 was just a free update. I do remember my computer updating itself from Windows 7 to 10. I logged on to PC one day and it had changed all by itself. When my son reinstalled Windows 10 on my other PC, he didn't pay for it. I will have to find out what he has done it.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 15th May 19, 7:49 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 15th May 19, 7:49 AM
    • 15th May 19, 7:49 AM
    Awe, I did think the Windows 10 was just a free update.
    Originally posted by Terrysdelight
    From Windows 7 & 8 yes, from Vista no.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th May 19, 7:50 AM
    • 20,865 Posts
    • 15,141 Thanks
    molerat
    • 15th May 19, 7:50 AM
    • 15th May 19, 7:50 AM
    W7 to W10 was (is !) a free update, unfortunately Vista to W10 is not. What OS is on the old PC ?
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 15th May 19, 7:56 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    • 15th May 19, 7:56 AM
    • 15th May 19, 7:56 AM
    W7 to W10 was (is !) a free update, unfortunately Vista to W10 is not. What OS is on the old PC ?
    Originally posted by molerat
    The old PC - the all in one is Windows 10.

If I can avoid buying another computer I would much rather get a fix.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 15th May 19, 9:03 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 15th May 19, 9:03 AM
    • 15th May 19, 9:03 AM
    I'd put Linux on it. That's often the best way to refresh an old laptop. Installation is usually pain and best of all, free. It means a bit of a learning curve but there is plenty of help available on the internet.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 15th May 19, 9:28 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    • 15th May 19, 9:28 AM
    • 15th May 19, 9:28 AM
    I'd put Linux on it. That's often the best way to refresh an old laptop. Installation is usually pain and best of all, free. It means a bit of a learning curve but there is plenty of help available on the internet.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    Thanks, my son is familiar with Linux - I will ask him to help me. Thank you.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 15th May 19, 9:36 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 15th May 19, 9:36 AM
    • 15th May 19, 9:36 AM
    Linux Mint is a good choice for newbies - it's easy to install, supports almost all hardware, works very similar to Windows, and has a very friendly and supportive community who don't expect you to be a techy.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

For an old laptop I'd go for the XFCE flavour as it runs really well on limited hardware.

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/choose.html
    • icomp
    • By icomp 15th May 19, 9:47 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    icomp
    Thanks, my son is familiar with Linux - I will ask him to help me. Thank you.

I have an old Vaio that I tried to install Linux on, it worked ok until trying anything with graphics and it wouldn't have it, lost countless hours messing about with it on that issue.
    • PatrickRoggers
    • By PatrickRoggers 15th May 19, 10:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PatrickRoggers
    you need to contact your system vendor
  • archived user
    I have an old Vaio that I tried to install Linux on, it worked ok until trying anything with graphics and it wouldn't have it, lost countless hours messing about with it on that issue.
    Originally posted by icomp
    Yeah some of those Vaios used funky SiS and Via graphics chipsets that had little to no support so would use software mode in Linux which would put a picture on the screen but with no hardware acceleration things like watching Youtube could be painful.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th May 19, 8:07 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi

My own PC Has died on me - see other thread (just in case you can help - SO CONFUSED).

I have now come across my dad's old lap top. It is a Sony vaio - it's old but working. Dad only every used it to watch YouTube videos of Doris Day! So no files / docs etc stored.

Unfortunately it has Windows Vista on it so, now Chrome and Explorer don't want to run properly and are no longer supported.

How do I go about removing Vista and replacing with Windows 10?

Many thanks.
    What is the full model number? Some VAIO Vista laptops have a free upgrade path to Windows 7/10.
    • that
    • By that 15th May 19, 9:10 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    that
    the problem with some of the hardware around this time, that the cpu supported x64, but it was terribly slow on x64 even if it was linux or win 7, but x32 was ok.

I too would go for mint or MX Linux. However windows licences are only around 3 on ebay, so do not get scalped, and make the choice due to price
    • slinga
    • By slinga 16th May 19, 2:36 AM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    slinga
    My sil had an HP Laptop with Vista on it.
    I put Linux on for her and it worked fine for 3 or 4 years.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 16th May 19, 9:53 AM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    Niv
    You can install windows 10 for free, just dont activate it. You get a little note on the bottom right saying 'activate windows' and a couple of minor features do not work but other than that it works fine.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • googler
    • By googler 16th May 19, 10:04 AM
    • 15,290 Posts
    • 10,052 Thanks
    googler
    ... it has Windows Vista on it so, now Chrome and Explorer don't want to run properly and are no longer supported.
    Chrome works just fine on both my XP machines, regardless of whether it's supported or not.
    • Terrysdelight
    • By Terrysdelight 16th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Terrysdelight
    What is the full model number? Some VAIO Vista laptops have a free upgrade path to Windows 7/10.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    VGN NR38E

Model PCG-7134M
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th May 19, 9:17 AM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    VGN NR38E

Model PCG-7134M
    Not this one unfortunately. As Niv has stated, you can install Windows 10 without activating it,
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th May 19, 9:23 AM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    VGN NR38E

Model PCG-7134M
    You could fit an inexpensive SSD to that device, in order to get the best from it.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/data-storage/ssd-drives.html

As little as 16.95. Since you are going to update the operating system anyway, a perfect time to do it.
    But it is a slight pain in the neck with that particular model; http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-sony-vaio-vgn-nr-laptop/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,548Posts Today

6,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin