Borrowing a family mambers car in Spain

My son-in-law has a car I can borrow whilst I'm in Ibiza. He has it fully comprehensive for anyone over 25 but that carries a 500 Euro excess. Collision damage waiver policies only cover cars rented from a car hire company so does anyone know if its possible to buy this sort of cover for this particular usage? Thanks

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just don't crash it.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Last year I attended a presentation on driving in Spain, it was presented by the Spanish traffic police and was aimed at British drivers...

One item was driving a loaned car from a friend or relative. Unless you are named on the policy, you are required to have their written permission to drive the car, nothing complicated, but avoids you being accused of stealing the car if stopped.

Another was to only use the “inside lane” on a roundabout for overtaking... not for taking the last exit and cutting across other drivers... you see ex pat drivers doing this all the time, but it’s illegal in Spain.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for that.......interesting.

The "inside lane" being the right hand one, where there are two lanes ?

So, to be clear - the driver should stick to the right hand lane (where there are two lanes) when approaching from the "South" (aka 6 o'clock) and intending to exit at the "West" (aka 9 o'clock) positions ?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I perhaps should have said to keep to the “nearside” (right hand as you approach) unless overtaking, ie you use a roundabout exactly the same as a dual carriageway. You will see lots of Brits driving the same as they do in the UK, they annoy the locals and risk a ticket from the police.

This web page is produced by the Spanish traffic police specifically for British drivers in Spain.

http://n332.es/
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    As UK drivers, our natural inclination, when turning left (270 degrees) off a roundabout would be to move into the left hand on approach.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Interesting. So to clarify...if you are turning left, you should go round the whole roundabout on the outermost lane (right) until your exit.

But if the road is 2 lanes in and 2 lanes straight on, then you could be cut up by someone "overtaking" you in the left hand lane going straight on???

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me??
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 12 May 2019 at 11:40AM
    But if the road is 2 lanes in and 2 lanes straight on, then you could be cut up by someone "overtaking" you in the left hand lane going straight on???
    If I've understood Frozen Up's explanation - there should be no overtaking by vehicles in the left hand lane on a roundabout.

Drivers should be in the right hand lane all the way, regardless if leaving right (1st exit),going straight ahead (2nd exit) or exiting left (3rd exit) on a "standard" 4 exits roundabout.

The same perhaps (not really sure), if doing a complete 360 degree (4th exit) to go back they way you've just come from ?

Happy to be corrected.

If that's accurate, then the only accident waiting to happen would when drivers do not adhere to the Spanish rules of the road - ie, Brits who are ignorant of the different procedures.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Another was to only use the “inside lane” on a roundabout for overtaking... not for taking the last exit and cutting across other drivers... you see ex pat drivers doing this all the time, but it’s illegal in Spain.
    If taken seriously it would seem to be a very inefficient way of using a roundabout, with people who are taking the first exit being repeatedly held up by other cars.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    If taken seriously it would seem to be a very inefficient way of using a roundabout, with people who are taking the first exit being repeatedly held up by other cars
    The same would apply in the UK where another "slow" car is (correctly) driving straight ahead (2nd exit) where there is only one lane at the exit.

With many Brit drivers' lane discipline and correct indication (or rather the lack thereof), I'm not sure we are in a position to criticise Spanish procedures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure