Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • l.c.elliott
    • By l.c.elliott 27th Nov 18, 4:17 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    l.c.elliott
    0 WOW
    Primark have changed refund/exchange policy?
    • 27th Nov 18, 4:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Primark have changed refund/exchange policy? 27th Nov 18 at 4:17 PM
    I tried to take something back to primark without a receipt but apparently they've changed their policy and will only take items back with a valid receipt - is this true? I thought shops had to offer an exchange if the customer didn't have a receipt? My receipt got thrown out accidentally so I don't have it anymore :-( I'm guessing they'll only take things back without a receipt if it's faulty?
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 27th Nov 18, 5:32 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 5,082 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 27th Nov 18, 5:32 PM
    • 27th Nov 18, 5:32 PM
    Shops don't have to offer any return policy for items bought in store*. So they can set the rules if they do offer returns

*Your consumer rights in case of faulty goods are not affected.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 27th Nov 18, 7:06 PM
    • 5,222 Posts
    • 10,912 Thanks
    minimad1970
    • 27th Nov 18, 7:06 PM
    • 27th Nov 18, 7:06 PM
    Apparently it's always been their policy, it's just now that they're enforcing it.
    • amcl
    • By amcl 27th Nov 18, 11:16 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    amcl
    • 27th Nov 18, 11:16 PM
    • 27th Nov 18, 11:16 PM
    I tried to take something back to primark without a receipt but apparently they've changed their policy and will only take items back with a valid receipt - is this true? I thought shops had to offer an exchange if the customer didn't have a receipt? My receipt got thrown out accidentally so I don't have it anymore :-( I'm guessing they'll only take things back without a receipt if it's faulty?
    Originally posted by l.c.elliott
    Did you pay by card? I was in the queue at customer service last week and a man was trying to exchange a jacket for a different size without a receipt. At first the assistant declined but then after some polite persistance and him mentioning he paid by card, the assistant spoke to her supervisor and got authority to bring up the transaction on their system using his card details. So I guess it is possible but may depend on the discretion of the assistant or supervisor.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 4th Dec 18, 4:14 AM
    • 12,596 Posts
    • 11,773 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 4th Dec 18, 4:14 AM
    • 4th Dec 18, 4:14 AM
    With faulty items you do not need a receipt. But you do need to show proof of purchase. This is not something Primark can opt out of, it's part of the consumer rights act. It would be different if the item was not faulty, then you would need a receipt and any store would be in their rights to refuse a refund or replacement even if you had a receipt. But not if the item is faulty.
    • myusernamehasgone
    • By myusernamehasgone 11th Dec 18, 9:22 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    myusernamehasgone
    • 11th Dec 18, 9:22 PM
    • 11th Dec 18, 9:22 PM
    Did you pay by card? I was in the queue at customer service last week and a man was trying to exchange a jacket for a different size without a receipt. At first the assistant declined but then after some polite persistance and him mentioning he paid by card, the assistant spoke to her supervisor and got authority to bring up the transaction on their system using his card details. So I guess it is possible but may depend on the discretion of the assistant or supervisor.

I tried this and they told me they needed the till Details from the original receipt
    • sarahnurse16
    • By sarahnurse16 7th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarahnurse16
    • 7th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 7th May 19, 9:16 PM
    This happened to me the other day, when I lost the receipt. I couldn't even exchange for a different size. I won't buy anything there again. I don't appreciate being treated like a thief.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th May 19, 7:45 AM
    • 22,831 Posts
    • 61,754 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th May 19, 7:45 AM
    • 8th May 19, 7:45 AM
    This happened to me the other day, when I lost the receipt. I couldn't even exchange for a different size. I won't buy anything there again. I don't appreciate being treated like a thief.
    Originally posted by sarahnurse16
    How did they treat you like a thief?

Why would you expect to return something without a receipt?
    Primark's exchange/refund policy (for change of mind) goes further than the law says they have to.
    • brewthebear
    • By brewthebear 8th May 19, 7:59 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    brewthebear
    • 8th May 19, 7:59 AM
    • 8th May 19, 7:59 AM
    Without a receipt how can you prove purchase. Could have just picked it up off the rack and taken to refund/return till. That is why they have that policy and always have done.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th May 19, 8:54 AM
    • 62,257 Posts
    • 44,731 Thanks
    soolin
    Originally posted by sarahnurse16
    I think you completely miss the point. A change of mind refund is a goodwill gesture, they have no obligation to do so however they allow it with a receipt. It isn't difficult or clever, no receipt means no refund.

I'm sure they won't miss you as a customer especially if you think not allowing you a refund means they thought you were a thief.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th May 19, 8:55 AM
    • 62,257 Posts
    • 44,731 Thanks
    soolin
    Without a receipt how can you prove purchase. Could have just picked it up off the rack and taken to refund/return till. That is why they have that policy and always have done.
    Originally posted by brewthebear
    My local store had real issues with that under the old rules, it was really blatant. Take something from a shelf, carry it around for a while then pretend to drag it out of a bag when you get to CS and get a refund.

Absolutely blatant
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 8th May 19, 9:24 AM
    • 6,277 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Except knickers even if unworn!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,822Posts Today

7,530Users online

Martin's Twitter