Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 27th Sep 08 at 5:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Grocery Challenge.
    As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Page 18
  • TheBees
    First big spend
    Went to Lidl today and stocked up on all the basics including fruit juices, tinned tomatoes, beans, pasta, rice, cereals, cheeses, ice creams, yoghurts, fish, chips, and even a FR chicken etc.......The cupboards were really bare before but now they are overflowing with a large stash hidden in the garage! Managed to spend £105!!!!!!!!

Got to go to the butchers for the some meat later in the week as I want to double batch cook lots of recipes. I've worked out our menu plan for the next month which of course I will change around if I need to but at least I will know that I've got the ingredients I need at the beginning of each week.

Managed 2 NSD's without even trying this week.

Good luck everyone
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • toottifrootti
    A bit late but can I have a target of £100 again for October please. Must go read the new rules - thanks for keeping the thread going and all the hard work you all put in re-organising it.
    TF
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• cw18
    • By cw18 3rd Oct 08, 10:21 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 86,055 Thanks
    cw18
    I get my milk from Aldi or Lidl -- currently £1.40 for 4 pints, and the cheapest within walking distance for us. As such haven't noticed if anywhere has has gone up, but Mr T (just about walkable) and Mr A (by car only) were £1.44, and S'fld (easy walk) was £1.46. Not sure on Co-Op, but they're always dearer than S'fld !!!

With regards to cheap range items disappearing, I noticed a couple of days ago that the value chopped tomatoes have disappeared from Mr T's site, and neither Mr A nor Mr T has affordable wholemeal flour tonight

Had noticed Aldi have put their sugar up to 79p (same as Mr T), but our local Quality Save/Home Bargains still have some at 69p..... if it's still that price I plan to grab a few bags early next week, when I next do the 3.5mile round trip (by foot) with my shopping trolley.
    Cheryl
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 3rd Oct 08, 10:56 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    If you were freaked by my budget before, then I hope you'll not be a nervous wreck after this post......

When I calculated my figure I took everything I spent in September (currently £118.72) and added to that the value of things I'd used from stock (a further £31.03) -- so a total of £149.75 divided by 30 (days in Sept) and multiplied by 31 (days in October). This gives me £154.75, but doesn't include cereals (hadn't bought), pickles, sauces, gravy granules, hebs/spices, or a few tins hubby has taken without me noting down. So I rounded it to £165

BUT -- I've just realised that over £19 worth of what I bought is still in the cupboards or (mostly) freezer. So that means my sums should be £130.59 / 30 * 31, which gives me £134.95. So if I then add on the extra tenner (and pennies) for the "missing" items.....

MrsMac -- sorry to be a pain -- please can you adjust my budget down to £145 for the month This won't include anything I buy and haven't touched by the end of October (but items on BOGOF or similar will count in total even if I only open one of the items - else I wouldn't have got the special deal price!)
    Originally posted by cw18
    You are a secret mathemetician! Now I could do it that way but its not for me. At the end of the day if we are doing the challenge month in,month out, it seems enough to just calculate the weekly or monthly spends. I would do well this week if I did it your way as goodness knows what the value of my cupboard foods are! Hundreds at a guess! And Ive used very little of what Ive bought this week.
    Oh I like an easy life!
    I stocked up this week at Tesco so have lots of store cupboard stuff. Not worked much so no sneaking out to the shops lunchtime so very little to write in my spending diary. I Think its about £80 on food for this week off the top of my head-more than the weeks budget but as its averaged over the month it balances out well. I actually underspent that amount last month so Im happy with that.We had a cheap tea tonight of pasta with homemade bolognaise sauce-no mince-we used some cooking bacon and cheese. Well DD made it so it was extra yummy as she cooked and washed up. Always tastes better when there's no work involved.
    Got enough milk bread and veg certainly until Monday or Tuesday so I must stay away from the shops. Got the breadmix for 27p in Tesco and bought 6 of them also got a couple of spongecake mixes-not sure if that was a good is idea but I shall see what I think of them for 23p? or 27p each.
    2 1/2 kilo spuds was only 64p thats the value ones. I had a lot of shopping for my money-I do believe price wars are starting again.
    Value mushrooms were down to £1.11. No sign of 5p curry (Ive still got 10 jars anyhow)but rice has also come down to about 79p a kilo(value) but Ive still got about 4 kilos from way back! Working tomorrow but no lunch break so I must make sure I don't do detours on my way home. Trouble is-I'm addicted to bargains foodwise and I am feeding an army aren't I???
    Oh the value toms in Tesco are 49p for 6 but a much bigger tub with about twice the amount are only 69p so a much better buy. These weren't in the same part as all the other toms tho-they were on an end facing.(the end of the aisle).
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 03-10-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • booklover
    • By booklover 4th Oct 08, 12:00 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    booklover
    Hello everyone

I just added up what we spent for September and it was £276.22!!! i am so annoyed with myself as i was hoping it would be about £200 but too many demands from my family and a lot of wasted food too has caused this...

I will try much harder this month to keep too a maximum of £200

Fiona
  • smetf
    Morning all

Well chicken in slow cooker great success, lovely tea last night for very little work. Seven hours on auto- seemed to do the trick! Got enough bits of chicken to do risotto on Sun night and froze half to do something else with later. Then (got idea off slow cooker quick q.s thread) put carcass in slow cooker overnight with juices, celery, onions etc overnight on low and woke up to chicken stock all made this morning .

Off to have breakfast then bargain hunting at NCT Nearly New Sale (am helping out so get first dibs of bargains). Anyone who doesn't know great place for kids clothes toys and equipment. Xmas pressie and winter clothes shopping!

Will let dh make vat of soup with stock, I'll put the bm on now!

See you later
    Smetf

• eveie189
    • By eveie189 4th Oct 08, 6:36 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    eveie189
    Morning

I was doing so well but then went to Mr M's last night (we only needed brown sauce) and spent £34.90. We did stock up on some stuff though like boxes of pampers that were only £7.99 and their own brand washing powder (does anyone know if it is any good?).
    My freezer is now fit to burst as I took DH and showed him what a whoopsie is. Is he loves meat he then picked nearly everything up that was whoospied.

Anyway hope everyone has a nice weekend

Katie
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
    • cw18
    • By cw18 4th Oct 08, 7:48 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 86,055 Thanks
    cw18
    You are a secret mathemetician! Now I could do it that way but its not for me. At the end of the day if we are doing the challenge month in,month out, it seems enough to just calculate the weekly or monthly spends. I would do well this week if I did it your way as goodness knows what the value of my cupboard foods are! Hundreds at a guess! And Ive used very little of what Ive bought this week.
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    Ah well, but I want to run down my stocks as a lot of what we have in isn't stuff I'd buy any more (too expensive). So if I ran a budget of £130 (plus stock items) now, then in a few months I'd have to increase it considerably. The way I'm doing it now means that the 'from stock' costs should slowly dwindle down to almost negligble, at which point I can change to just what I buy in line with everyone else -- and keep the budget the same, so no major temptation to spend at the start of the month just 'cos I've got an increase
    Cheryl
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 4th Oct 08, 7:50 AM
    • 729 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    First weeks shopping
    Hi Everyone.
    My shopping this week has come to £54.09 went to Mr A late yesterday afternoon. Not a good time to go shelves quite empty and no whoopsies. Spent £51.88 in there which didn't include any meat ! No cheap bread mixes anymore. Should be ok up to the end of next week. Using things out of the freezer which we got around to defrosting the beginning os the week. Found things i didn't know I had. Have a good weekend everyone.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • Money Fritter
    • By Money Fritter 4th Oct 08, 8:36 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    Money Fritter
    Hi Folks,

Hope everybody is well.

Went for my weekly shop last night and it came to £12.38. Bringing my total for the month to £37.95 out of £60. So I have £22.05 left for the rest of the month. I think I can do it but it will be close.

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • rosieben
    I've just updated my sig - I've spent over half my budget on a trip to Lidl yesterday to stock up for the freezer. I'm so pleased to have it switched on again - been without it since I moved here in June I knew I would miss it but I didnt realise just how much; the main thing has been a lot of waste and I'm pleased to report that this morning - apart from the loaves, meat etc I bought - I have frozen one banana one crust of bread (start of my breadcrumbing stash!) and a small piece of fish which will become fish cakes sometime soon. I made loads of pastry this week, so I'll be making quiche (freeze in slices) and pies later today. I'm off now to check my vegetables and see what needs using up and I've already sorted out several packs of lentils, beans etc that will be soaked overnight and frozen in portion sizes after cooking tomorrow.
    I love my freezer

ps I forgot to say that I checked the 'what's hot and whats not at aldi and lidl' thread before I went and bought several things that were recommended and which I probably wouldn't have found on my own.
    Last edited by rosieben; 04-10-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 4th Oct 08, 11:01 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    originally posted by cw18
    originally posted by angelatgraceland You are a secret mathemetician! Now I could do it that way but its not for me. At the end of the day if we are doing the challenge month in,month out, it seems enough to just calculate the weekly or monthly spends. I would do well this week if I did it your way as goodness knows what the value of my cupboard foods are! Hundreds at a guess! And Ive used very little of what Ive bought this week.
    Ah well, but I want to run down my stocks as a lot of what we have in isn't stuff I'd buy any more (too expensive). So if I ran a budget of £130 (plus stock items) now, then in a few months I'd have to increase it considerably. The way I'm doing it now means that the 'from stock' costs should slowly dwindle down to almost negligble, at which point I can change to just what I buy in line with everyone else -- and keep the budget the same, so no major temptation to spend at the start of the month just 'cos I've got an increase
    angelatgraceland, I agree with what you have said and that it is a faff to calculate what we buy, what we use, what is stock, what is not etc. I don't have enough time to waste to do this (and I am a Scientist by training and have always worked with numbers- love formulae etc).
    Of course, cw18, if it works for you then thats great- that is what GC is about- finding what helps you reduce spending or at least monitor it. (You can please forgive me however if I skim any posts, or parts of posts, where you explain/go into detail about calculations as it is not really of any use to me to read it ).

Spent £4.91 in Tesco yesterday, on some brasing beef (for next weeks meal plan- not this week lol), some woopsied salad to have with last nights HM lasagne, and a cheap TV paper.

Baking muffins later, might take DS out for a bit today, even though its raining. Not spendning much though as got all his Chrismas presents bar one yesterday .
    xx
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 04-10-2008 at 6:36 PM.
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 4th Oct 08, 11:14 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Oh I like an easy life!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    Originally posted by cw18
    I'm afraid I like the easy life too, but can see where you're coming from CW, but the way I book it, if I have to spend money in a month, then it comes out of my GC money for that month - anything left over from that goes into savings and if I go over it has to come out of savings - hence trying not to go over.

What about if you budgeted the full £165 each month, but still run down your cupboards. That way, you would be used to having that budget and it wouldn't be such a shock when it goes back up, plus the money you have left could go into a special savings pot (it's great to see it grow) and then you have another reason to spend less.

I can see this works for you, but to me once it's in the cupboard it's spent and I forget it coz it's never there that long - knowing my lot they will soon eat it!

Anyway, back on track - have finally found my receipt for what I spent yesterday, although will have to go out again (might leave it till monday when the queues have gone down) but spent £32.46 so will go and update my siggy...
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 4th Oct 08, 11:31 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,
    Not been on for a while, Hi to all the newbies,
    Thanks Mrs Mc, bless you
    Thanks Mumzyof2,didn't think of using the soup for sauces, Doh, what am I like.
    Another small shop @ Mr M on the 1st, only a few things so £6.48, making total £11.39 so far with 4 NSD as well and will update sig.

Managed not to waste anything too so feeling very good

HWGA xx
    Last edited by Herewegoagain; 04-10-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • applemella
    Have bought a gammon shank from Mr M only cost £1.49!
    Want to make a ameal with meat and some soup with leftovers.
    Can I just put gammon in my slow cooker with water, veggies and soup mix or dried peas and leave it to cook? or do I need to boil gammon or cook peas/soup mix first? Worried about poisoning everyone as I know kidney beans need to be boiled for a certain length of time.
    Thanks for readingxx
    • katie2407
    • By katie2407 4th Oct 08, 1:09 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 3,154 Thanks
    katie2407
    went to asda last night for shopping with a list this time and spend £42.10
    I tshould last us for about 2 weeks except for bread and milk so pleased with myself
    5 account to clear- £14580.47/£1074.90- 7.3% paid off
    debt free nov 2012 before that I hope
    sealed jar no 420
  • dink1
    HI GUys,

HELP!!!!!! picked up some rabbits today (2) how on earth do I cook them????? Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
    • rockie4
    • By rockie4 4th Oct 08, 2:43 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    I've been and done my big shop today,£64.97 at Asda then £18.10 at MrT making a total so far this month of £99.54 but I shouldn't need to go anywhere near a supermarket for 2 weeks at least
    OH is in the kitchen making bread, we have a tin full of Twinks hobnobs, the freezer and cupboards are full and I've had to put teabags and UHT milk in my 'overflow store'
    The only thing I might run short on is cat food :rolleyes: and that's only because she's so fussy and Asda didn't have her usual brand
  • rosieben
    HI GUys,

HELP!!!!!! picked up some rabbits today (2) how on earth do I cook them????? Dink1
    Originally posted by dink1
    My favourite is roast rabbit with stuffing

cook it like a chicken really, has a stronger taste though. or you could also make a stew or a casserole?
    Last edited by rosieben; 04-10-2008 at 2:55 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Triggles
    A little late, but please add me to the challenge.

Goal for this month is £200

Thanks so much!
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter