Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 27th Sep 08 at 5:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Grocery Challenge.
    As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Page 9
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 30th Sep 08, 11:10 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 29,794 Thanks
    tessie bear
    good luck with this it will be interesting to hear how u go
    • BrandNewDay
    • By BrandNewDay 30th Sep 08, 11:11 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    BrandNewDay
    HI Brand New!

Don;t forget to check the nutritional values too as sometimes the 'value' ranges have higher salt and sugar levels. Not much point in saving pennies if you put on pounds!!

Mambury
    Originally posted by mambury
    Not something I worry about, but thanks.

• MrsHayes
    Hello all ;-) please put me down for 50 / week again (40 shopping+10 Dh dinners at work).
    Came in under budget last month so if I can do it again I will reduce my amount for November!
    Thank you and good luck everyone xx
    DS 1 born 12/02/2009
    DS 2 born 30/01/2012
    Married 07/07/07 <3
    xx Love my boys xx
    • mouche
    • By mouche 30th Sep 08, 11:19 AM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    mouche
    Hello all...my month doesn't start till tomorrow but won't need anything today so have declared on the September thread. Would like to declare my budget this month at 100 as usual for two adults. This does not include cleaning stuff or toiletries. It also does not include OHs lunches though it includes some of mine (the HM ones). It also does not include eating out.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ 131,290.03 (05/11/2018) MFW target for 2018: 2,406.04/ 3,000
    2017 Challenges: Make 300 a month: 29/300 (November) NSDs: 2/15 (November)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 0/3st 9lb
  • SavvyStudent
    Hello all! Septembers budget went through the roof with the purchase of the new (second hand!) car meaning the BF had free access to the supermarkets! I'm not even going to count it up. The cupboards are absolutely choca now. Also means the farmers market plan has fallen through as well, so I'm relaxing that slightly to farmers market produce supplemented by the odd supermarket item (mainly chocolate lol).

Now, Octobers budget is going to be a bit odd - I'm back down south on a uni placement until dec so I'll be budgeting for just me, and the BF will budget for himself. So I'm setting octobers budget at 40 please if that's ok! Lots of drug company lunches available and another broke student and I are off together and aiming to keep costs LOW, so this one should be easy Good luck everybody xx
    Proud to live a frugal shabby chic life!
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 30th Sep 08, 11:33 AM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 16,463 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Would like to give this ago this month. We have been trying to cut down and I am cooking most of our meals from scratch, but think we can get down further (and as oh is having a meeting about possible redundancy at 2 pm today) need to save as much as possible.
    Going to aim for 50 per week ie 200 for the month and see how we go.
    Sat reading MSE and worrying lol.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to 10 a day-November 610.22/750

Make up to 10 a day-December 73.84/620
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 30th Sep 08, 11:42 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 16,616 Thanks
    SmlSave
    Hello

Septembers budget failed wonderfully so I'm starting again with October. Please put me down for 200. Ta

I will:

-Menu plan
    -Buy only want I need
    -Do the storecupboard challagne

I will not:

-buy alchol
    -things that look 'yummy' cause I'm hungry

Good Luck with this month everyone!
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off 20,000
    350 per month challenge
  • Lelc
    I'll try again this month for 250. I must remember to keep a better check on how much I spend. I kept forgetting last month but think I kept it to less than 250....just.

That's for 4 adults and 1 cat and 2 dogs (although I'm not counting the dried stuff we get for the dogs as we buy it in bulk every 3 months).

Well, better get going on the menu planning.
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - DFW Nerd 323
    Debt free date - January 2012
    Mortgage free date - November 2013
    Cross stitch cafe challenge member no 16
    • cw18
    • By cw18 30th Sep 08, 11:54 AM
    • 8,077 Posts
    • 86,059 Thanks
    cw18
    Haivng taken a look at your budget, I know there is no way I could go that low
    Originally posted by Chaos Theory
    If you were freaked by my budget before, then I hope you'll not be a nervous wreck after this post......

When I calculated my figure I took everything I spent in September (currently £118.72) and added to that the value of things I'd used from stock (a further £31.03) -- so a total of £149.75 divided by 30 (days in Sept) and multiplied by 31 (days in October). This gives me £154.75, but doesn't include cereals (hadn't bought), pickles, sauces, gravy granules, hebs/spices, or a few tins hubby has taken without me noting down. So I rounded it to £165

BUT -- I've just realised that over £19 worth of what I bought is still in the cupboards or (mostly) freezer. So that means my sums should be £130.59 / 30 * 31, which gives me £134.95. So if I then add on the extra tenner (and pennies) for the "missing" items.....

MrsMac -- sorry to be a pain -- please can you adjust my budget down to £145 for the month This won't include anything I buy and haven't touched by the end of October (but items on BOGOF or similar will count in total even if I only open one of the items - else I wouldn't have got the special deal price!)
    Last edited by cw18; 30-09-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: miscalc'd new budget, and gave myself £10 too much!
    Cheryl
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 30th Sep 08, 12:30 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Sorry to be a nuisance, but what is a BOSH PAN please Barneysmom?

As a quick note, my budget includes everything I buy from a supermarket or grocery-type shop. We are four adults with healthy appetites, a vegetarian Iguana & a Pup having hm food, such as offal, poultry or fish mainly cooked in a casserole. Because the offspring have their own money they will sometimes suppliment the budget by bringing in some milk or a paper but I buy all the bog-standard toiletries so it kinda levels out.
    I buy what veg I can + taiters & eggs from our little pet shop, to support local suppliers & we like the taste
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• mummygems
    • By mummygems 30th Sep 08, 12:40 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Hello.

I got my big monthly shop this morning 134 but this is the staples for the month which includes 6 packs of nappies, baby wipes, baby milk for the month, flour, caster sugar, bread flour, yeast, cereals, this weeks fruit & veg, yoghurt which should last me the month, some meat, deodrant and cleaning bits. This means that I SHOULD only have to top up with milk, F&V and the little bits we need each week. Am going to try to stick to 35 a week or less on top of this shop so I come in well under budget. The nappies should last me a a 1.5-2 months so not too awful. (Just on baby things I spent approx 85 EEEEEK).

I am also going to use up my store-cupboard things this month and then try and cook from scratch next month (although hubby is so fussy its a nightmare). He loves those pasta bake jars so if anyone knows/has a recipe for the Bacon & Tomato pasta bake which doesnt taste like "tomatoes" please could you share. The last time I tried DH said it was too tomatoey.

I have also made a meal plan for the month and should hopefully stick to it 100% - the only reason I wouldnt is if we happen to eat at my mums or the in-laws.

Good luck everyone, hope you all have a good month.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 30th Sep 08, 12:50 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    HI all

Well another month and we're off again. MRS Mc can you put me down for 200 again . Good luck all my month starts tomorrow. Hours been cut at work so i really need to keep this budget with no excuses. I have planned a menu with what we have in the cupboards and produced a list so i only buy whats required to cover them Menu & pack lunches. BUlk buying Mince & Chicken from Costco on friday as i like the quility and price. Lidls for ham, toliet roll and couple of other bits and everything else from ASDA or Mr T's. Going to print off as many coupons as possible and see what they'll take.....Every little helps as Mt T say's.

CC
    • Piquant
    • By Piquant 30th Sep 08, 12:54 PM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    Piquant
    I did this for the first time last month and came in 17.83 under budget and it was a 5 week month for me!

I am setting myself the same target of 200 and hoping to come in well under budget. All surplus is going to the Christmas fund.
    Total debt at October 2008: 67,213.30
    Total debt today: 0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save 12K in 2014 - 6,521.90/6K member 138

• leebarton
    Right, that's October kicked off with a Mr T delivery this morning of £40.38. We struggled to find room in the cupboards for everything.
    First Direct Loan @ 7.9% 13,076.03/20,250
    Mint CC @ 18.9% 3030.29/3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% 651.46/2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 30th Sep 08, 1:16 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Just found the October thread and it's 9 pages in already, so I have no chance of keeping up with it but am still doing the challenge anyway Househunting means we may have a house move within the foreseeable future, so I'm planning on using up as much as possible from my freezer during October so I can empty & defrost it in November, when we hope to move house. I will try my best to keep a menu diary alongside the spending diary. Good luck to all, I've no planned spends for today and will be having beef mince, homegrown potatoes and mixed veg for dinner this evening plus we'll be eating more than our fair share of soup as I need to use up all the stock I have in the freezer
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 30th Sep 08, 1:36 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    Right I spent 50 out of a 100.

This month my budget will be 100 again. But I do need to do a little stocking up so I suspect I will end up spending about 75 ish this month.

Will not spend today as my wages have only just gone in the bank today. So I will start to spend tomorrow.

I have managed to meal plan this week as well been a bit lazy the last few weeks.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Chell
    • By Chell 30th Sep 08, 1:40 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Hello.

I got my big monthly shop this morning 134 but this is the staples for the month which includes 6 packs of nappies, baby wipes, baby milk........

I am also going to use up my store-cupboard things this month and then try and cook from scratch next month (although hubby is so fussy its a nightmare). He loves those pasta bake jars so if anyone knows/has a recipe for the Bacon & Tomato pasta bake which doesnt taste like "tomatoes" please could you share. The last time I tried DH said it was too tomatoey.......

Originally posted by mummygems
    Do you buy the baby things in the supermarket? If you have a Boots Advantage card then you might be better getting them there. You can get extra point coupons from the advantage card machine if shopping instore or codes for extra points/free delivery online. You might not save cash but you'd get lots of points for other things eg Christmas pressies.

Re: pasta bake, how about doing a tomato based sauced but stiring in creme fraiche before you serve it, this gives a nice creamy tomato flavour.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • mumzyof2
    1.70 today i willpost a bit mroe later just off to pick ds up from school
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
  • beltainebabe
    Ok, so I've been reading through some of the posts on this thread, and I was about to ask where this Mr T place is as so many of you seem to be shopping there and I've never heard of it..... but I think I've just twigged it.... is it Tescos? :confused:
    • cw18
    • By cw18 30th Sep 08, 2:26 PM
    • 8,077 Posts
    • 86,059 Thanks
    cw18
    Yep. And Mr A is the green equivalent. Mr S (which I've seen a couple of times) confuses me 'cos I assume that's the orange store - but we have a different Mr S (think seasonal meadows) within walking distance. I don't think we're supposed to mention the stores by name.
    Cheryl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

7,410Users online

Martin's Twitter