Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,818Posts
    • 5,172Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Let's do this!
    • 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Let's do this! 28th Jan 18 at 11:56 AM
    Hi everyone

I've been a member on the forums for some years, but not been active for a long time. I really want to get myself out of debt and feel that keeping a diary will keep me accountable so I came over here

My debt has accrued since my 20s where I think I bought things to fill a void without being able to pay them back. I've been a bit of a "I need to have it now otherwise I'll never be able to have it!" type person. It's only recently (I'm now 37!) that I've been able to give myself a talking to and say if I don't have the spare cash then it can't go on my cards. I'm spending far too much on minimum payments which could go towards holidays and treats etc.

Dealing with my debt has also been difficult as I've been a been a student for about eight years so paying the fees has come first, although for my latest (and final!) course I had to pay for some of the fees on my credit card. Not ideal by any means but the career opportunities and salary will enable me to pay off more towards my debts.

I'm studying a doctorate and will be doing my viva in March 2018. A few months' ago I got a new job on the understanding that I would be qualifying in my profession shortly. Once my viva is passed (assuming I don't totally botch it!) I'll be qualified and my salary will increase to a level where I can pay £200-£200 per month extra off of my debts.

But it's not just the salary increase which will help. My whole mindset has to change and I hope that by keeping this diary it will help motivate me to keep going and wipe this debt off for good! I'll post my numbers in the next post.

I look forward to "meeting" you all. Please feel free to chip in with money saving ideas or other ways to reduce debt as I'm aware there are wiser souls here than myself
    My debt-free diary
Page 2
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 1st Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hi Seasidegal! I take it you live by the seaside or do you hope to? I love being by the coast and we like getting there when we can! Thanks for subbing

Yes that's me hugging my Charlie in the photo. He loved a cuddle

I'm actually in a "lull" at the moment regarding my PhD as I wait for the definite date of my viva. I'm not having to spend my evenings typing out essays which is great! It'll be great to get it over with though!

I thought I was getting better and this evening I'm more bunged up again and can hardly breathe
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 1st Feb 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi Lilith. At the moment I live by the seaside - or rather the seaside bit of the Thames Estuary. Itís not quite the beautiful rolling Atlantic breakers of Cornwall but I like it!

Enjoy the lull while you can with the PhD and hope you feel a lot better tomorrow.

P.S I always put beans in my cottage pie as well! Everyone Iíve served it to loves it apart from DDOH who doesnít like beans in any form and also my dear dad when he was alive - I think it wasnít traditional enough for him!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 23/06/2018: £665.09
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 1st Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    That sounds lovely. A dream of mine is to live nearer the coast, at least within an hour anyway. Maybe one day

Thanks, I'm hoping the cold and flu tablets will keep me going
    My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 7,142 Thanks
    Munchin
    Never had a cat but but if anything were to happen to my pup I would be devastated (even though he is tormenting me with a squeaky toy at the minute).

I can recommend Receipt hog as well .. really simple & I grab my Mums & OH receipts to earn more coins and it does payout. It takes a wee while but apart from taking a pic of your receipt itís easy & you donít get screened out like lots of surveys .... v annoying.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 1st Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Yeah, hubby went to the shop tonight to buy something and came back with the receipt for me ha ha! I now put them through Receipt Hog and Shoppix.

We have a dog too, her name is Cookie. She's a yorkie crossed with a chihuahua. She only weighs 5kg but she's full of personality. Her and Charlie were good buddies, and I'm glad to have her so I can shower her with cuddles and kisses

My debt-free diary
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 7,142 Thanks
    Munchin
    She is gorgeous . My pup is a Yorkie as well, they are so smart and affectionate and want to be cuddled all day .

Wait til you wait for your receipt even if itís only for about £1
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 1st Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Aww that's sweet you have a yorkie, so does my younger brother. They're lovely sweet dogs
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    What a beautiful little dog Lilith!

I'm also going to research Receipt Hog now! I'm getting a bit fed up with the surveys - they take so long and half the time I can't access them on my ipad!

• Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    What a beautiful little dog Lilith!

I'm also going to research Receipt Hog now! I'm getting a bit fed up with the surveys - they take so long and half the time I can't access them on my ipad!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thank you, she know's she beautiful as well

I've just put another receipt though RH. It was for petrol so I'm not sure if it accepts those. I also put it through Shoppix just in case
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Evening, everyone! Thank goodness it's Friday! Unlike yesterday at work which flew by, I have been so bored today. It can be one extreme to another. I need to think of some productive things to do when work is a bit thin on the ground. I've not been there long so I know that they're easing me in gently but I like to get stuck in.

Had to fill up the car today, but that's budgeted for. Luckily I only live about half an hour from where I work so the expense of petrol isn't as bad as it could be. I used to work 1.5 hours away a few years ago

Not too much planned for the weekend. I'm looking forward to relaxing as this cold has taken it out of me a bit. I may spend a little bit on some cheap snacks so we can chill in front of the tv. Hubby works half day on a Saturday so I'll probably catch up on some surveys. I really should perhaps do a bit of cleaning lol, but come the weekend though I just can't be bothered. I'll make an effort and do some bits as I tend to find it therapeutic in a weird way.

Can't wait for next weekend as we're going to the coast for a couple of nights. We'd set aside the money but we're going to have to be careful when it comes to eating out. We definitely want to do fish and chips as we're by the sea although that can be costly these days! We won't be taking Cookie (as much as I'd like to!) as hubby said it'd be nice for us to potter and go where we like rather than trying to find places that are dog friendly. I get his point (THIS time ha ha!). I think it'll be good to clear my head anyway.

I'm on the panel for "WhatUsersDo" where you test out websites and they record your screen while you do it and talk along. I earned £5 for one test and have just done another one for £5 as well. I quite enjoy them. They're not overly long and I think I like the sound of my voice a bit too much

Hope everyone has some nice plans for the weekend
    My debt-free diary
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 2nd Feb 18, 8:08 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 23,795 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Enjoy your chill weekend Lilith, we like cheap tortilla chip and dips as cheap snacks, or sausage rolls. All quite cheap. The dips are normally the mix of 4 which most of the supermarkets do for £1.50 (value etc range).
    CC2 = £8687.86 (£10000 )CC1 = £0 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 2nd Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Enjoy your chill weekend Lilith, we like cheap tortilla chip and dips as cheap snacks, or sausage rolls. All quite cheap. The dips are normally the mix of 4 which most of the supermarkets do for £1.50 (value etc range).
    Originally posted by Uniscots97
    That's a great idea, thank you! I've haven't had "chips and dips" in a long time
    My debt-free diary
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 3rd Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 23,795 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    Did you have your chips and dips Lilith?
    CC2 = £8687.86 (£10000 )CC1 = £0 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hi everybody, a bit of a wet and dreary Saturday here.

I started seeing a therapist today. I saw her for an initial session before Christmas and said I could only see her once a month at the moment due to finances. I'm grateful that she was okay with this as normally it's weekly/two-weekly. She said we could review if I thought I needed more regular sessions. So, I feel a bit wiped out but it was good to talk and I'm hoping it will help me put some positive changes in place

Took Cookie out for a walk later this afternoon. Put her little coat on her as it was drizzling and towards the end of the walk she was less than keen to carry on She's been known not to set foot out the door when it's raining, which suits me just fine!

Spent just over £6 today. Bought a share bag of crisps and some soft drinks as a treat for hubby and I. Also bought a bottle of cider as we use it in a recipe we make of chicken in a cider and mustard sauce, so that'll make us two dinners each

Been doing more surveys and I've binned off some of the companies I was signed up to as they were bombarding me with surveys and just screening me out. I'd rather get fewer surveys and be guaranteed that more will pay out

Hope people are having a nice weekend so far.
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Did you have your chips and dips Lilith?
    Originally posted by Uniscots97
    Hey! No hubby didn't fancy dips and I thought there's no way I want them all to myself (I'm trying to lose a bit of weight!) so we had a share bag of crisps, although we've just had half the bag today so we can have more tomorrow!

Hope your weekend is going okay?
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Feb 18, 7:15 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Glad you felt more positive after your session with the consultant Lilith.

Poor Cookie! Hope she didnít get too drowned in the rain.

Enjoy your chicken with cider and mustard sauce - sounds yum!

• Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 3rd Feb 18, 7:18 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Glad you felt more positive after your session with the consultant Lilith.

Poor Cookie! Hope she didnít get too drowned in the rain.

Enjoy your chicken with cider and mustard sauce - sounds yum!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thank you! Cookie was fine, she's now snuggled up on hubby's slanket which she's stolen from him
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 4th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Boo to being back at work tomorrow

We had a relaxing day and went for a walk with Cookie. Hubby likes bringing his camera and we saw some water birds that we hadn't seen before so he was happy to be snapping away.

Did some more surveys but Swagbucks has dried up at the moment. I've joined Crowdology and Valued Opinions to see if I get any more.

I made a meal tonight and followed it exactly as the recipe said, and it had no taste I'm assuming it was meant to be like a chicken curry as I had to put cumin and coriander in it, but neither hubby or I could taste the sauce! Won't be making that again!

NSD and I actually did do a bit of cleaning yesterday much to my surprise! We have quite a bit of stuff to take to the tip so we're going to do that in March as we have a week off together. We also said if the weather is good that week it would be good to tidy the garden and get it ready for the summer. I've never been much for gardening but I suddenly feel the urge to get involved with it. I'm not sure why.

I don't know if anyone else has found this, but since I've started saying to myself "If I can't afford it then I have to save for it", I feel more relaxed about things. I used to have this anxiety that if I didn't buy it "now" then I'd lose out and the thing I wanted would disappear forever. Now I realise that's not the case. I don't know where that fear came from.

It also seems to have influenced my eating habits...when I'm bored I tend to pick at food, or eat carp. However, since starting this debt-free journey my attitude to food is changing too. I'm not as quick to reach for the food as a way of dealing with the boredom, but I can sit back and recognise the boredom and allow it to pass so that I don't eat unnecessarily. Perhaps the spending and eating were trying to fulfill the same thing (not sure what) and I'm now noticing that and nipping it in the bud?

Bit deep for a Sunday night I know
    My debt-free diary
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 4th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 23,795 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    I think the way society has gone has a lot to do with the buy it now attitude and I don!!!8217;t mean it!!!8217;s been overnight. I remember adverts when I was a child for @Acees your flexible friend!!!8221;, and the reaction from older members of my family was complete horror at not saving up for things. By then it was normal to get a car loan but now it!!!8217;s possible to buy just about anything on credit. I know I was guilty of it and for years was the same as you, and got myself into a rut with it.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 5th Feb 18, 5:25 AM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Yes. we're very much in a culture of wanting things now and we've been given the means to get things now, often without thinking of how we'll pay it all back. Glad I'm seeing the light now though
    My debt-free diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,584Posts Today

9,095Users online

Martin's Twitter