Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,539Posts
    • 5,459Thanks
    another casualty
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3
    • 29th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3 29th Dec 17 at 1:32 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.comshowthread.php?t=53499 16
    And possibly the last . Not sure if the link works .

From someone who never bothers with diaries ( I!!!8217;m the person who gets one from the office but leaves it in a drawer for 2 years ), to someone who has done two on m s e .

As the title suggests , diary 1 is quit ( 28/10/2015)
    Diary 2 is wondering what now?( 2/04/2017)
    Diary 3 is trying to pickup the pieces of the puzzle and put them together so everything fits . (29/22/17)

I must thank all the regulars ( Lesson Learned, harz, enthusiastic , gigervamp, Anna , copperjar cew Wendy &co. ) plus all the others who have been reading and thanking me along the way.
    I do think that, had the internet and this site had been around when we first had problems that a lot of mistakes wouldn!!!8217;t have happpened.

There are many people worse off of course, but Like others I want to avoid falling down after trying to rebuild myself ready to be more sturdy and robust for what is thrown at me in the immediate future and beyond.

Biggest obstacles to overcome : lose the weight / find a part time job/find confidence to meet new People / stop lazing around/
    Oh, and get off the prednisolone .

Hope you enjoy the journey with me .

Thanks
    Ac
Page 3
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 9th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    anna_1977
    HAPPY NEW YEAR AC

I'm back at work so back on the boards (I tend not to have the time whilst on holiday from this place...)

Good to see things are going well so far this year!

It was June when I last wrote to creditors for F&F's, a couple accepted, most not so I've tried again, fingers crossed this time

Anna
    x
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hello Anna
    Wishing you a great new year . It seems not a bad time to talk to the creditors once again , as January is the month of misery for most when it comes to finances . Hopefully they値l be more sympathetic and eventually you can move on from that and that will be a great feeling

Lovely day today, unlike yesterday which was miserable.Fair enough it was cloudy all day, but it was 70/30 as to whether it would be a downpour if I went out . So I stayed in.

Got some minor jobs one in the flat over the last few days.
    When I had my blinds fitted the fitter removed the curtain rails and for a few months the bedroom and living room had marks where they were and I kept putting it off incase I spilt paint on the furniture. Sorted that out at last.i also finally put a long mirror up in the hallway , taking it out of the bedroom as the spot it was in was not right after moving everything around one more time . Funny really regarding the bedroom . There is clutter in there which will have to be sorted this week which will mean I知 95% done on everything in the flat.

The bedroom looks much better to walk into. However, sleeping in that arrangement is still taking a while to get used to. I looked at Houzz and Pinterest etc to see about Murphy beds / beds for below bay windows etc but so far am carrying on with the new arrangement
    I have a couple of prints being delivered over the next few days. One is rothko. I also ordered a volcano picture in canvas instead of a framed print . Just fancied doing it . Will finally sort out 5he music room in the next few days . Just trying to Box clever with the boxes.

James will be seeing to the tile problem in bathroom . He said I知 covered for six months . Not sure if I知 passed that, but I did tip,him now and again for the good work and help he provided .
    I知 going to ask him for a quote for kitchen cupboards . I know I have to take things easy, but if I can get something for under a 」1,000 then it would be a great move imho. It would mean I致e ticked all the boxes for the flat . I did incredibly well with the whole flat from top to bottom so this would be the icing on the cake etc.

I知 going through my collection of 7 records and will offload a few onto fleabay. I don稚 bother with those. I have a couple of iron maiden pic discs . I bought a Gary glitter one for 20p, but think the bin is now the best place for that. When I was in really hard times less than 2 years ago, I sold iron maidens first ever single 奏he soundhouse tapes
    I got 」380 for it . Seeing as I paid only 」1.20 for it ( I think) I did well. What I did sell not when I was in difficulty , was a white label test pressing of Metallica痴 first single. Bought it in Camden markrt for 」1.20. I met them and got it signed along with a poster. Made over 」1200. When the recession hits though you never know what price you may get . Same with my rare fender bass I sold around March 2016 when I was struggling . I have a small box of 4cds that Metallica did of the Black album . I値l list those as the box looks manky and that I致e transferred them to MP3 anyway .

Been gym on Monday and personal trainer is happy . Went today. Intend to go Friday also.

Glad you池e imto your candles too worrier Walker .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Had to get up around 7am ,as Argos sent email telling me they will be sending me the small blender I ordered between 7am & 9pm .
    They came at 1pm .
    My large Rothko framed print came also. This was going to be put into the bedroom . The plan was also to get my finger out and put my Motrhead tour poster into a frame and find a place to put it .
    Bizarrely enough, they are both next to each other in the music room
    Don稚 know how, but with the space I have , the pictures look really good there. I have two basses on that wall and thought I壇 done the wrong thing by putting them on the wall . However, with a bit of jiggery pokery I made the most of that wall . It does unfortunately mean I have to buy two framed prints for the bedroom .
    That痴 the thing with all white walls . Unless you put something colourful up, you can have the feeling of being in a mental institution

So , feeling groggy and tired and it痴 cloudy out there. I will have to get my finger out and start tidying up the clutter. Maybe later on today. May list things on fleabay later. I値l see how I feel.
    The music room is looking better, but still have to think things out and tidy .
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 11th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    January is a horrible month really - I find it hard to get motivated with anything and I hate the dark mornings and dark evenings. Things do seem to be coming together for you though AC.
    Getting back on Track
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks Mrs. P
    You池e right about January . I think it was this time last year , I had flu for a few weeks after readjusting. I was just beginning to book some viewings with estate agents, then cancelling a couple of times .
    Motivation can be difficult at times
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    So I got myself ready for the gym this morning. As I was walking up the road, there was a bit of sand along on the pavement . Fair enough
    the ground is a little damp . A male dog walker was approaching and I slipped. I remained upright . Got a funny look and carried on walking.
    Carried on walking until I was almost at the traffic lights at branksome roundabout. I then fell spectacularly. The chavvy woman approaching me just gave a dirty look. I managed to get up instantly. A man standing by a wall saw me. I walked up and just said it must be my new trainers. He asked if I was ok.

I was gonna carry onto the gym. I looked down and saw the knee of my track suit bottoms ripped and my right knee and hands has a little gash and some blood,so I returned home. I put some discenfectant on my self . Dettol seems hard to come by around here. It痴 either sainsbury or. M&S own brands.
    I知 holding frozen chicken mince ( ugh) in my left hand..
    Not the best start to the day.
    Where are the plasters?
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 12th Jan 18, 11:53 AM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 13,933 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Oh dear AC. Sorry you took a tumble and hope it is just a few bumps and scrapes. I am neurotic about icy pavements since my son in laws mum slipped on an icy path this time last year and ended up injuring her shoulder and arm so badly she needed an operation and was out of action for months. Nice of the man to ask if you were ok.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Jan 18, 12:01 PM
    • 1,474 Posts
    • 8,266 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi AC... and A Happy New Year to you

Sorry to hear you took a tumble mate, hope you're ok.
    I took a header whilst walking down a track the other weekend, thankfully the snow and heather broke my fall and there was no one around to see, well other than my best mate who laughed his head off, as you do... I bought new walking poles pretty soon after that...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 12th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 6,294 Posts
    • 20,065 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Sorry to hear about your fall, hope there's no lasting damage, and I'm glad that someone asked if you were ok. Too many people just walk on by nowadays. God, I sound old!
    Speaking of sounding old, and Dettol, does anyone remember Iglodene? My nan always used that for cuts, scrapes, and gargling if a throat was sore. TCP took over those duties in later years. And mustn't forget good old Germolene, with it's distinctive smell and putty pink colour!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks for all the well wishes . Something like that
    I!!!8217;m fine . I!!!8217;ve done a lot worse. I approached the guy ,and then he asked if I!!!8217;m ok. I didn!!!8217;t want to look too odd so to speak.
    I wouldn!!!8217;t be surprised though if I get a note from the Council for damaging their pavement. The bigger you are etc..
    Maybe it was the sand . Maybe it was the new trainers? 2 slips in 5 mins .
    Uncanny Scott , it!!!8217;s all part of it . Take it on the chin, and get ribbed afterwards

Gigervamp, I remember germolene and liked that . I don!!!8217;t remember iglodene though. I!!!8217;ve got an absorbent mind ,so I!!!8217;m quite surprised by that. Was it for use in the North Pole ?

I found the !!!8216;boots emergency kit!!!8217; and plastered myself up and used the antiseptic wipes. Palm is bruised above the ball of the thumb, and a slight swelling under little finger on left hand.That and the right knee took all the impact . When you get to a certain age , the tendons are a little sore. I!!!8217;ve done a lot worse. I!!!8217;ll live
    Last edited by another casualty; 12-01-2018 at 2:11 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    I remember falling in Blackfriars about 2 years ago. I was in my suit as I was working. I was about the same size now, maybe bigger. People avoided me. They probably didn稚 know what to do with me this time I got straight up. Probably because my body is more flexible . Something like that

Got brekville blender delivered. 」15 well spent . It痴 one of those that is a bottle that twists onto the main stand . Can稚 go too crazy with it .
    Good thing about it being small is that I can稚 put it out of sight and out of mind .

Got volcano canvas and put that up in my bedroom . I quite like it .
    Just have to get 2 more framed prints or whatever and that痴 it.
    Of course I still have the clutter up in the bedroom to sort. Plus I need to tidy music room and all should be good .
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 12th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 9,473 Thanks
    grunnie
    AC hope you are feeling better. It's probably the new shoes you have. I was sliding about on the pavements last week and came t the conclusion that the shoes I had on are for summer pavements only or I should have to take up skating.
    My kitchen is finished now decorated, new vinyl and a new roller blind. The vinyl was put down last century and was wearing thin in front of the sink. I had a huge dresser to empty and move so took the chance to have a tidy out for the food bank.( all in date but just stuff I don't use now) I also replaced my kitchen table and chairs with a smaller lighter set as the chairs were too heavy to move when I washed the floor.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Glad you got the kitchen sorted grunnie . It!!!8217;s a nice feeling when you!!!8217;ve done it . With my kitchen , it!!!8217;s just the cabinets that need changing. I noticed the other flats that were advertised for sale and to rent ,all have same tiling in kitchen and bathroom .same cipboarfs also . A job lot . According to the taxi driver I was talking to when I locked myself out a couple of weeks ago, all of these flats were care homes . Quite good too apparently . If it doesn!!!8217;t cost too much, I may replace cabinets . May find out next week
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Well, my left foot is very painful. I致e sent the personal trainer a text asking his advice about postponing Mondays session.
    Walking slow again . Not happy . Just put sheets into the wash as blood from the cut on my knee went through the plasters overnight.
    I managed to get to the shop ok for groceries . On ibuprofen .
    P I t a .

Other than that, all good
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 13th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Sorry to hear about your fall AC - but glad you were able to get up straight away. I had a bad fall a couple of weeks ago and got straight up. Normally if I bend down to do anything e.g. change a DVD I have to use the furniture to lever myself up - maybe its something to do with adrenaline or in my case feeling stupid but when I fell I was able to get straight up. I wear glasses and they almost dropped off my nose - I was more worried about breaking them than anything else!
    Getting back on Track
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sorry to hear about your falls too Mrs. P,
    Most of the time , I have been struggling to get up / tie shoelaces etc
    Can稚 believe how much I let myself go . It痴 a case of sticking your bum out when you move apparently true .
    I was beginning to make progress (especially compared to this time last year) . I値l monitor the foot tomorrow and see how it goes .

I,live on my own so I guess it痴 survival instinct mode that triggered in when I got up so soon .

When we get to a certain age , things are more difficukt I guess.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 15th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Hope you're OK AC!!

I fell at my work Christmas party on 8 December, slipped on a huge puddle of wine someone spilt - thankfully the 2 glasses of fizz in me helped numb the pain.

6 hours later in A&E I had a broken wrist - have been in a cast ever since - now that's a P i T A !! NO driving, can't cut food etc since then grrrrrr.... cast off 23rd January - can't wait!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Hope you're OK AC!!

I fell at my work Christmas party on 8 December, slipped on a huge puddle of wine someone spilt - thankfully the 2 glasses of fizz in me helped numb the pain.

6 hours later in A&E I had a broken wrist - have been in a cast ever since - now that's a P i T A !! NO driving, can't cut food etc since then grrrrrr.... cast off 23rd January - can't wait!
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Now that is painful! So sorry to hear about that Anna . Thankfully you池e ok . The waiting in a&e must have been horrendous .
    I致e only been to a&e for one day ( at 2 hospitals ) when I stood on broken glass. Soul destroying . Glad you are on the mend now .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    Felt rough today . Had my friend over yesterday , and he helped me with recording stuff. He is good at keyboards/ sampling etc.
    I had notions of getting rid of clutter and rearranging things in music room and bedroom . Can!!!8217;t see myself doing that today somehow . Not a massive job , but something I shouldn!!!8217;t ignore for too long .

Will be going to gym on weds for p t session . Foot is slowly recovering . Lazy day I guess.

I just got an email from one of those places I purchased stuff from online.
    It!!!8217;s blue Monday according to them. I!!!8217;m not one to be miserable , but it!!!8217;s not the most exciting day. I!!!8217;ll call it grey Monday
    Last edited by another casualty; 15-01-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    another casualty
    When purchasing my flat last year, the sellers solicitors held a 」200.00 retention . I had been informed by my solicitor to look out for the end of year service charges ,which are 30th sept 2017.
    I have until 31 March to claim . I won!!!8217;t get too technical , but the was a charge for 」350 pounds for damp investigation into my flat which I!!!8217;ve probably listed in my last diary.
    So hopefully , I can get some money back . Fingers crossed. I received statement of service charges today and just made enquiries.

Just had my upstairs neighbour enquiring about a parcel being delivered . I obviously haven!!!8217;t received it . Trying to explain to her and her young son was heavy going. Apparently it was delivered to the flat opposite , but they have no knowledge . I recommended that she tracks the no.on the dpd website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,571Posts Today

9,107Users online

Martin's Twitter