Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market 6th Dec 17 at 4:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Outfox the Market

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Britlion
    • By Britlion 12th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Britlion
    • 12th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 12th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    Energy club is recommending them as the top saving (with the caveat that they are new, so no feedback). I tried the website in two browsers (one of them edge with no plugins, just to be sure). Got through the whole quote process, with a very buggy slow website and ended up with a quote page that says "Your Energy Hero Tariff is Monthly £ Annually £ - This quoted figure includes the monthly membership fee. This quote is based on electricity only".

Several things wrong with that. Firstly I'd asked for dual fuel.

Secondly, in case you missed it, there wasn't actually a quote. Just a pound symbol. Unless they are saying it's free, in which case, it's a stonking deal, and they'll go out of business.

I think they are having technology difficulties - which is pretty unforgiveable for a company that depends on the website and doesn't look like they are keen for someone to call them.

Clicking on "Web chat" gets nowhere. It's not even a clickable link, on a page that says they encourage people to use webchat. Well done.

On the whole, if they are this disorganised in selling to new customers, one can only imagine with trepidation how bad they might be for customers trying to contact them with a problem. Poor show. I'll probably avoid.
    Last edited by Britlion; 12-12-2017 at 8:42 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Flobalob
    • By Flobalob 13th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Flobalob
    • 13th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 13th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    I know everyone!!!8217;s experience is different but so far I!!!8217;ve no issues with this company.

I agree the website could be improved, however I got my quote with no issues, my only issue I have is that my gas & electric fall under different postcodes (nothing to do with outfox the market) so with quote in hand I called the number on the website.
    Call was answered straight away no holding which was excellent, Abdul was really helpful and friendly, he managed to find both my meters without difficulty he gave me another quote which was the same as the website, I agreed to switch he took all the details and everything concluded efficiently.

I contacted them the day after via web chat, just to make sure everything is going to plan due to my meters having different postcodes, chat was more or less instant with Richard, no long waits, he looked into everything and put my mind at rest.

I know this is a new company and I do expect teething problems, looking on trust pilot they reply to reviews and take onboard all feedback and make changes where they can, they also apologise for the few mistakes made and contact the person directly to follow up. I!!!8217;ve never had that kind of support from any supplier.

It!!!8217;s early days yet and will follow up if anything does go badly wrong. But so far so good
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 13th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 13th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    The tariff they offer is good, but they won't combine day & night readings from an E7 meter (or charge both registers at the same rate). In fact, they won't accept E7 meters at all.

Apparently an E7 meter tariff is coming later.

I discovered this after realising their tariff on USwitch had 0 standing charge on the gas, which seemed like a mistake, so I went to their site to get the figures 'from the foxes mouth' so to speak, and they told me to go away.
    • RuththeRev
    • By RuththeRev 28th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RuththeRev
    • 28th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    A very good tariff for me as a low energy user, electricity only. My current supplier (M&S Energy) doesn't do Smartmeters so I was pleased to learn that OutFox are planning a smart meter roll out early next year. Learnt this via a successful webchat with Kamal (albeit at the third attempt - previous attempts resulting in 'we're sorry we missed you' until I hit on the strategy of repeating the original question.....)
    Have signed up and will see what happens!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 28th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 28th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    A very good tariff for me as a low energy user, electricity only. My current supplier (M&S Energy) doesn't do Smartmeters so I was pleased to learn that OutFox are planning a smart meter roll out early next year. Learnt this via a successful webchat with Kamal (albeit at the third attempt - previous attempts resulting in 'we're sorry we missed you' until I hit on the strategy of repeating the original question.....)
    Have signed up and will see what happens!
    Originally posted by RuththeRev
    ALL suppliers will be rolling out smart meters within the next 12 months. New suppliers are waiting until they can offer a SMETS2 compliant meter.
    • Doh
    • By Doh 4th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Doh
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    My switch went smoothly, but be warned that Outfox the Market want to charge you upfront for energy you haven't used yet. I've just paid my old supplier £100 and Outfox the Market £106 on the same day. I queried why this was and their explanation is that the policy is to take a direct debit payment on the first day of the contract (even though you haven't used any energy yet). They confirmed that this has put my account into credit, but when i requested this money back (like you can with pretty much every other supplier) they refused. Having an unexpected £100 payment the week after xmas is not what i needed!

It also doesn't state anything in the T&Cs about paying upfront, just that they take a DD payment on the first day, i was expecting a DD payment of near Zero has i'd not used any of their gas or electricity.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    My switch went smoothly, but be warned that Outfox the Market want to charge you upfront for energy you haven't used yet. I've just paid my old supplier £100 and Outfox the Market £106 on the same day. I queried why this was and their explanation is that the policy is to take a direct debit payment on the first day of the contract (even though you haven't used any energy yet). They confirmed that this has put my account into credit, but when i requested this money back (like you can with pretty much every other supplier) they refused. Having an unexpected £100 payment the week after xmas is not what i needed!

It also doesn't state anything in the T&Cs about paying upfront, just that they take a DD payment on the first day, i was expecting a DD payment of near Zero has i'd not used any of their gas or electricity.
    Originally posted by Doh
    I am really not sure why this practice causes so much concern? Energy suppliers have to pay their wholesale suppliers in advance of supply. Looking at my bank account, I currently pay for my house insurance; TV Licence; mobile phone; Sky TV; car insurance in advance of supply, so why not energy? The benefit to the consumer is that the supplier does not have to borrow so much and should be able to offer lower prices as a result.
    • remlap666
    • By remlap666 5th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    remlap666
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    Great Sign Up Process
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    Having received the MSE Cheap Energy Club savings trigger alert yesterday, the comparison showed these were the cheapest for my annual energy consumption.

I went through their on-line switch process very easily.

There was an issue with the address of my Gas meter being incorrect, but the on-line chat feature was excellent. I've even had two follow up phone calls from them to confirm all the details, my start date and the amount of the first payment on that start date.

I was aware from the Energy Club comparison results that payments are in advance.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 7th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    I signed up with oftm 3 weeks ago and they gave me an estimated switch date of today - if i log into my old supplier it says the gas switch completed yesterday with electricity due to switch today.

I have managed to enter my electric opening read on oftm website but could not see anywhere to enter my opening gas read so have emailed them - hopefully they will get back to me tomorrow as i suspect they might not open at weekends

I can see that oftm charge monthly in advance so it is a bit of a hit when you are on a payment in arrears supplier, but my old supplier said my expected cost will go from about 55 to 65 per month and oftm said it would go from about 55 to 45 per month, so the idea of paying 240 per year less seemed worth it for a one off month with 2 bills to pay
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    Hengus
    I signed up with oftm 3 weeks ago and they gave me an estimated switch date of today - if i log into my old supplier it says the gas switch completed yesterday with electricity due to switch today.

I have managed to enter my electric opening read on oftm website but could not see anywhere to enter my opening gas read so have emailed them - hopefully they will get back to me tomorrow as i suspect they might not open at weekends

I can see that oftm charge monthly in advance so it is a bit of a hit when you are on a payment in arrears supplier, but my old supplier said my expected cost will go from about 55 to 65 per month and oftm said it would go from about 55 to 45 per month, so the idea of paying 240 per year less seemed worth it for a one off month with 2 bills to pay
    Originally posted by boliston
    The gaining supplier will normally ask for meter readings 5 days before the planned date for the transfer of supply. All meter readings go to a third-party for verification. Once verified, they are used to open and close accounts. If a meter reading hasn!!!8217;t been provided, then the Data Collectors will produce an estimated figure based on past usage.

PS. I worry when people do not do their own cost calculations based on kWHs/year. Letting the supplier come up with an estimated cost carries a lot of uncertainty.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    The gaining supplier will normally ask for meter readings 5 days before the planned date for the transfer of supply. All meter readings go to a third-party for verification. Once verified, they are used to open and close accounts. If a meter reading hasnít been provided, then the Data Collectors will produce an estimated figure based on past usage.

PS. I worry when people do not do their own cost calculations based on kWHs/year. Letting the supplier come up with an estimated cost carries a lot of uncertainty.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I don't think I was ever asked to provide readings 5 days before the switch date - i just took a read from each meter (gas & electric) on the final day before switchover.
    • DiscountofMonteCristo
    • By DiscountofMonteCristo 9th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DiscountofMonteCristo
    Cheap Energy Club has alerted me that I could save £45 a year with this company, by switching from OneSelect. £4 per month quoted. Having clicked through to the website, and chosen Low User, they give me a quote that is £5 more expensive. They say this includes the monthly membership fee. The blurb on the Cheap Energy Club says this is a replacement for a standing charge; this tariff has '0' set as the standing charge.

I conclude that Cheap Energy Club has alerted me to a deal that in fact would not be better for me by disregarding the fact that they have brought in a membership fee in place of a standing charge.
    • DiscountofMonteCristo
    • By DiscountofMonteCristo 9th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DiscountofMonteCristo
    Correction to the above - there's an 'Actual' button as well as Low User etc. and when I entered my rounded-off annual usage figures it gave me a lower quote than what I'm currently paying. So I've gone for it. LOL, it pays to look at the options properly.
    • andyca
    • By andyca 12th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    andyca
    Just got off the phone with them as I wanted to check their unit rates and they seemed to be getting their sums wrong...
    They said it was an £8.99 a month membership fee and a unit charge of 9.9260/kWh of Electric and 3.2361/kWh Gas.
    Based on my exact usage (2068 Electric, 12039 Gas) they they calculated a yearly figure of £678.74.
    I put the same numbers into a spreadsheet and it came out to £702.74.

It's only a £24 difference but the agent couldn't tell me where the issue was.
    We tried going through the numbers and where I had calculated my Electric as 2068 x 9.9260 as £205.27 his screen said it was £346.10!

At this point it was clear the numbers he was looking at were a bit meaningless. I realized after getting off the phone he was probably putting me in the incorrect Membership bracket as I use less than 2400kWh of electricity I should be a low user £6.99 per month which explains the £24 difference over the year, but I still have no idea where the £346.10 estimate for electricity came from

Now I've got most of that straightened out and I've confirmed the unit rates I've signed up.
    I'll check their sums on the next lot of communications and post back with updates

Edit1: They've sent me a nice clear PDF confirming £6.99PCM membership, E 9.93p/kWh, G 3.24p/kWh. (I guess they are rounding up) and an install date of 3 weeks today.
    There are a few typos and grammatical errors in the communications such as "Your 14-day cooling begins from the point you complete you switching application."
    So... When is that exactly?
    But it's OK so far!
    Edit2: Switchover instruction went through smoothly, existing supplier confirmed the switch. 2 weeks to go.
    Edit3: Just checked the BigSwitchEvent9 and OFTM is still £128 cheaper for me. (£103 including the cashback)
    Last edited by andyca; 23-01-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 18th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    Has anyone that has actually switched to Outfox the Market got some feedback on how it went and what the billing is like?

The reviews so far seem to be fairly positive.

The older relative, that we help, has an electric contract that is due to end soon and Outfox the Market appears to be the best deal, at the moment, for their low usage.

From checking through on their quote page, they also now have a fixed unit price contract that is slightly more than the variable unit price. So we are considering that.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30į pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 18th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    Hengus
    Has anyone that has actually switched to Outfox the Market got some feedback on how it went and what the billing is like?

The reviews so far seem to be fairly positive.

The older relative, that we help, has an electric contract that is due to end soon and Outfox the Market appears to be the best deal, at the moment, for their low usage.

From checking through on their quote page, they also now have a fixed unit price contract that is slightly more than the variable unit price. So we are considering that.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    I would wait a week and see what the MSE Collective switch has to offer.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 18th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    I'm presuming that Fischer Energy must be the sister company of outfox https://www.fischerenergy.co.uk/ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZxQDP3wZ8 )
    The main difference seems to be that with Fischer the fox does not wear a hero's cape.
    Last edited by boliston; 18-01-2018 at 9:55 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 18th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    Economy Seven Energy
    It would appear OutfoxTheMarket have now set up a sister site for customers on E7
    https://www.economyseven.co.uk/
    Economy Seven Energy - the licensee is Foxglove Energy Supply Limited

Not looking very competitive for me, but may suit a higher user with a relatively high proportion of low rate usage.
    (may vary by supply region)
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 18th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    I'm presuming that Fischer Energy must be the sister company of outfox https://www.fischerenergy.co.uk/ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZxQDP3wZ8 )
    The main difference seems to be that with Fischer the fox does not wear a hero's cape.
    Originally posted by boliston
    Yes another name for the same supplier (but a different tariff)

Fischer Energy, trading name of Foxglove Energy Supply Ltd
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,473Posts Today

7,953Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin