Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,282Posts
    • 47,838Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 3
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Y'all twigged that was the link in 'Fall apart in my backyard' in my OP - right?

Exactly the inspiration for the title of the diary

Sorry to give you all an earworm though! But it is rather a good one, isn't it?

Thank you Upsidedown Bear - who needs pics of pizza, when we've great gifs supplied by your good self

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 28th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,876 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Y'all twigged that was the link in 'Fall apart in my backyard' in my OP - right?

Exactly the inspiration for the title of the diary

Sorry to give you all an earworm though! But it is rather a good one, isn't it?

Thank you Upsidedown Bear - who needs pics of pizza, when we've great gifs supplied by your good self

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Nom

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 28th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,320 Thanks
    greenbee
    You see... we need those frozen avocados
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Upsidedown Bear - so who knew? In-pool pizza delivery is a *Thing* now???? Phew, you go to the best resorts.........

Helllllloooo the weekend. But tinged with sadness, as the clocks go back. And whether you benefit from an 'extra hour' or not, we all get to spend more time in the darkness Roll on winter solstice..........

So Saturday night is curry night, according to the planner We will definitely be having Mugg (Mung bean curry), as I have put the very last of my YS'd mung beans (umpteetumpty years out of date ) on to soak. I think I might have to come up with something constructive to utilise the parsnips that i bought from mrL. They are lingering, and I can't have waste!

Today will be a pottery day. As in pottering about, not creating some marvellous graysonperryesque creations on me potters wheel out back...... Best get on and get to it I guess.

Thanks for popping in, singing and sharing your holiday pictures. All good

Greying X

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,320 Thanks
    greenbee
    ooh... the recipe looks yummy... I must see whether I have any ancient mung beans hanging around (They were an approved food 'bargain' that has lasted a long time, and I have aduki beans of the same vintage!). I might have cooked and frozen them already, but I'm sure it'll still work.

If you could just share your menu plan and shopping list in advance every week that would solve all my organisational problems

I'm off out today with a friend to an amazing health food shop, so I'm hoping to come back with lots of exciting grains and pulses. And then I'll need to meal plan (and also go and buy some vegetables as I seem to be low on fresh veg).

I was in Venice last week (holiday rather than work for a change, very lucky to be given the opportunity to stay in a friend's apartment and use my airline miles for the flights) and love the way the Italians make such a feature of their vegetables. Lots of delicious aubergine, peppers, artichokes, fennel etc.

have a lovely weekend - looking forward to seeing your curry later!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    ooh... the recipe looks yummy... I must see whether I have any ancient mung beans hanging around (They were an approved food 'bargain' that has lasted a long time, and I have aduki beans of the same vintage!). I might have cooked and frozen them already, but I'm sure it'll still work.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Lawks greenbee -that means your beans are older than mine I think - as i had aduki beans from 'that' offer - and i've not bothered with AF for yonks!

If you could just share your menu plan and shopping list in advance every week that would solve all my organisational problems .
    Ha ha - do you want all the red pen crossings out too, due to *CBA'd* or we didn't have oven chips coz i forgot to buy them.......

I'm off out today with a friend to an amazing health food shop, so I'm hoping to come back with lots of exciting grains and pulses. .
    Well jel.

I was in Venice last week ........... and love the way the Italians make such a feature of their vegetables. Lots of delicious aubergine, peppers, artichokes, fennel etc.
    Wellier jellier ^ And yes, agree. I've only Keith Floyd, Jamie, Rick and Nigella cookery progs to draw on (never been to Italy myself), but I'd agree about the veg dishes. Mind, food in general is treated with such respect in much of southern europe, full stop.

It's funny you should mention Italy, greenbee - I was looking out of the window earlier, at the leaf colours (we've one of those funny gloomy days, that makes colours 'pop' iyswim) and I was thinking about the prog jamieO did with boar hunters in........ was it Piedmont? Lovely, misty autumnal day anyway. Just right for a boar stew and more vino at the end of it Love Autumn. Autumn and spring are my favourite seasons I think. Right temperatures, right clothing, right food choices

i'm just having a 5 minute coffee break, and then I must crack on.

Greying X

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 7,384 Posts
    • 55,629 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Peeking around the door to say, 'Could you use the parsnips in a curried parsnip soup?' And meandering off again to lurk...
    NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 11/15; Ex 9/20 ; craft / (69); remove 54 (433)
    2018 Pay off: 2110; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage 21,033 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,320 Thanks
    greenbee
    Health food shop was fab. As was the cafe in the independent bookshop nearby. I really must do more of my shopping in this town as it's no farther than anywhere else I go, and MUCH nicer. (OK, just checked, it's 8 minutes further than Evil Tesco, 3 minutes further than sainsburys, 3 minutes closer than Waitrose, 15 minutes further than the Coop BUT it has the health food shop, bookshop, greengrocer, butcher, tesco, waitrose, coop, lidl and lots of lovely independent shops as well as the usual chain ones).

I've heard through a friend that her Tesco has frozen avocados available to order online, so as I need to stock up on bottled water (I know it's extravagant, but I can manage the filtered water boiled in coffee, but not on it's own - our water is VILE) I might nip up there and see whether ours has them back in. If not I'll try an online order. I must also remember to get LL milk for making yogurt...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Oct 16, 7:16 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,320 Thanks
    greenbee
    They're back

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=289890009

Apparently they were out of stock due to demand earlier this year...

I've just stocked up. If anyone else wants them from Tesco in Winchester I did leave a few packs And I can tell you where to find them.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Visitors, how luverly

Peeking around the door to say, 'Could you use the parsnips in a curried parsnip soup?' And meandering off again to lurk...
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    apple muncher - hello! Spiffing suggestion, I just can't seem to shoehorn soup in for a meal - ideally lunch - anywhere. The soup pencilled in for next Tuesday has already started to make me hop from one foot to another, in anticipation, because I've not made it before (daft brush!). Plus, because I am an awkward thing, I wanted to do something I've not made before But, curried parsnip soup - definitely yum worthy

greenbee - sounds like you've had a blast, and I agree, the extra bit of mileage sounds as though it is repaid in spades in 'different town'. Huzzah about the avocados! I shall buy a bag myself if I can track them down in our store - and shall make noises if I can't find them!

So, we went along to the high street this arvo, bit of life admin to attend to and a few bits and pieces to be purchased. I was contemplating buying some brushed cotton bed linen - a duvet cover, specifically, as we have v good sheets (now discontinued I think ). I wandered into an independent bed store the other day, when i spotted a set. The lady was very good and said they were ok for the money, but that a dearer set were better quality. Anyway, as it happened, I noticed m&$ did a set - for not much more than the expensive set, and in a better colourway. I left it, as it wasn't an absolutely essential purchase. Anyway, I noticed yesterday that they have their homewares sale on. So i've picked them up for 20% off. I'm sure i could probably shaved a bit more off buying online etc, but I've got them now, no waiting in for a postie, or whoever delivers for m&$. I'm just pleased I waited, it's kept money in my pocket and I've similiar quality to the other bed store at a lower price

Tea this evening was a curry plate, as billed I made Mugg (Mung bean curry) as detailed earlier. I have cooked all the remaining mung beans and have some curry left, probably enough for 2 small portions. Those bags of mung beans YS'd in mrT were very good value for money - 2 or 3 years ago, when I bought them I was inspired by (but didn't follow slavishly) THIS recipe for utilising some of the parsnips. We did have to buy some sweet potatoes, but they were on the list for next week anyway, so i've loaned one off November for October........ I used sweet potatoes and parsnips - chopped and 'parboiled' (actually did mine in the microwave). Then made a paste of onion, garlic, chilli and ginger. Fried this off in a saucepan in some oil, added in some sri lankan curry powder (curry powder ingredients listed first, rather than the whole recipe!) and then added the veg. Stirred it all together, added lime zest and juice and then added in the coconut milk. Warmed it all through and then stirred in some chopped coriander at the end. Served up with lemon basmati rice. Picture here;

The picture colour is a little off - it's on the bluest setting. The curry was a little 'warmer' in actuality, but the next camera setting up had it looking like a madras! Jolly nice though. And we savoured the mugg, as it will possibly be a long time before we have it again, unless i drop on some cheap beans.......

Not a combo you would find in any takeaway, nor restaurant, but satisfying and I was really pleased with the parsnip curry - they worked well with the sweet potatoes - earthy, robust and yet with a hint of sweetness.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

reflection - I thought I wasn't doing something 'right'. On reflection, I'm doing it 'well enough'.

for nice food, which hasn't bust the budget

for mild weather and a nice walk this afternoon - restorative

Ta for popping in and chatting. Always appreciated. Always.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:57 PM.

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,320 Thanks
    greenbee
    Actually, don't bother with the meal plan, I'll just move in

Looks yummy!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Actually, don't bother with the meal plan, I'll just move in

Looks yummy!
    Ha ha, come on over greenbee - you can give us a kick up the b.u.m and get us moved licketty split - promise the new place will have a fancy annexe pad for ya!

So Sunday, and GreyingTowers clocks are all over the place, as I altered key ones before I went to bed, only to find that DH has altered them again - the wrong way - when he got up Is it lunchtime yet????

Tea this evening is going to be left over baked orzo from the freezer. In the meantime, we will be taking a sanger out for a wander, even though the weather has decided to not play ball

Right, several hundred ducks to line up to make ^ all happen, so I must vamoose!

Have a great day - what time is it???

Greying X

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 30th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,876 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Have a great day - what time is it???

Greying X
    Time for another cup of coffee Or 3.
    Have a good day all at Greying Towers and friends

• Moneywhizz
    • By Moneywhizz 30th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    Moneywhizz
    Just saying I read your diary all the time and find it a breath of fresh air to hear about your daily adventures with your baby and life in general. You have such a good attitude to life, being thankful for every day and always able to find good in the day.

I wish you well with your moving plans and hope it all works out well for you. You deserve it. X
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Upsidedown Bear - i've only managed a small cup of coffee today - out of the thermos at that! - DH seems to have made me several thousand cups of tea since 4.00pm. I'm not a huge fan of tea........ Have certainly drunk more of it since Baby Greying put in an appearance, and sometimes a good cuppa is just what you need, but I think my tolerance of it is beginning to wane..... or perhaps I'm just awash with the stuff today.

Moneywhizz - thank you. I try not to be too 'everything is always peachy in my patch'. Because I'm human and it ain't. But we are blessed, and reminding myself of that, frequently, certainly helps to not dwell on the things out of my control.

Well, we went off adventurising. The weather stayed resolutely sulky, which was a shame in that it didn't help the trees to show off their colours to their true advantage. But it most certainly didn't stop us doing anything that we wanted. So no complaints.

We went to an 'old bit' of country park (ie we'd been to it before, but not with BG) and had a lovely time walking along an 'easy' bit of track. Took some lovely pics - a great reminder of the day. Then we moved on to a reservoir, using a route that we'd never been on before. Wonderful. We saw plenty of wildlife up close. Including a buzzard, which was nervous of the car (we were on a single track road), but curious too, so it would let us get almost to it, and then fly on several fence posts, land on the post, and then take off when we got 'too close' again. When I got out of the car to take some scenery pics, I saw some birds that I think were fieldfares. Unfortunately, the 'in-car' binoculars (only NT ones) seem to have migrated out of the car into the house, so I couldn't get a good look, but I'm sure that is what they were. A big flock of them. In addition, there was a huge flock of starlings also sitting in the trees alongside the fieldfares (ie separate trees, but all together) - my goodness they are noisy birds!

We had a picnic in a quiet spot and listened to the food prog on R4 - all about pumpkins

We had a wonderful day out, all free apart from the cost of the fuel in the car. We've some wonderful pictures - including several half decent ones of me & BG - a rarity, as I am usually the 'right' side of the camera - and we've the memories of the birds, the tree colours and each others company The other advantage was that the country park, the road to the resevoir and the resevoir itself weren't over-run with visitors. We didn't quite have the place to ourselves - the country park is popular with dog owners - but it was about as near as you can get....

Tea was NOT as described earlier I'd forgotten that the piece of baked orzo was more of a portion for 1, and I've not got ooodles of veg to pad it out (got veg, but stuff like spianch and chopped leeks etc). So instead, I dug some lemony spinach hotpot out of the freezer and teamed it up with some brown basmati rice. OK, we had rice last night too, but brown rice is pretty distinct in its taste, so it didn't feel too repetitious. We have had a magnUm for dessert.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

getting to see flora and fauna up close

that we have a car to take us places - even if it is old, and we have to keep to tight budgets to keep it on the road, and pack a lunch........

that we hadn't planned a hike - someone* forgot to put the sling carrier in the car

Ta for popping by and joining in. Mucho appreciated.

Greying X

* clue - t'weren't me!

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Oct 16, 9:38 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

We had a wonderful day out, all free apart from the cost of the fuel in the car.
    I lied. We stopped in a little market town on our way back. DH needed the gentlemans *excuse me* to spend a penny. It cost 20p

Greying X

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 30th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,320 Thanks
    greenbee
    Tell him to go behind a hedge next time

Glad you had a lovely day. I did gardening. And am now trying to summon up the energy to go to bed, so I can get up and be full of energy tomorrow...
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, I have just heard something on the radio that makes me believe things will perhaps be OK. A boy called Connor, was on the radio. He lives in Thornbury, which ain't too far from Bristol, is it? He's going trick or treating for the first time this year, which for an 8 yr old, didn't seem too unusual. He's dressing as a skeleton. However, Connor is going to be collecting food for the local food bank. Hurrah. Whilst I wouldn't want to deny any child a few sweeties, T or T is not my cup of tea. So to hear that this little lad (and possibly others) is going to turn it around and make it a useful excersise is just brill. They still get the thrill of dressing up and going out and about at dusk, or after dark, but a charity will benefit. I hope the people of Thornbury are able to support Connor, as he gets to come back on the radio tomorrow and tell the whole of the UK how it went. Go Connor!

We will try and take our little donation to the FB today. Inspired by Connor

I need to pay my CC bill. I will do that over the phone, as I've got the hang of it now and it is so much easier than going into my bank. They always said they didn't mind doing it (CC is with another company), but their faces and actions always told another story. It's a shame, but I really don't miss having to go in there for any transactions any more i'm sure banks don't make it easy for their employees, so I don't suppose their attitude is entirely of their own making.

Tea this evening is a pumpkin and spinach bake, that will use up the remaining pumpkin from mrAl and some of the frozen spinach that is in the freezer. I have already purchased the other ingredients that I need, but I think I'll need some broccoli or cauli to accompany.

I'm pretty sure that the mums & dads in the street organise T or T between themselves and school friends, and only go to houses that are obvioulsy participating. It does tend to be the younger children that get involved. Thankfully. Hurrah for folks being responsible.

Right, best shift-a-tail-feather. Daylight is a-burning.

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 31st Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 14,023 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Wow inflation is really something when spending a penny costs you 20p!!!

1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 47,838 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Wow inflation is really something when spending a penny costs you 20p!!!

Originally posted by rtandon27
    I agree! I actually forgot to ask DH if the machine only accepted 20p coins, as we had to scrat round for change - luckily DH had a coin.

The car park where the loos are is free - and is usually heaving on a weekday/market day, as it is only small. I suspect that the charge is as much about stopping anti-social behaviour as anything. Which is a shame.

I agree greenbee - males have a distinct advantage in some things, and he didn't use it. We'd been out in a forest, and driven through countryside a-plenty! Still, that sort of behaviour can get you landed with a 100 fine, so 20p ain't too onerous

Greying X

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,133Posts Today

6,162Users online

Martin's Twitter