Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,283Posts
    • 47,853Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 2
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,853 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Happy New Diary GP!

So glad to be a part of your loving & creative corner of the tiniternet!

Duly subscribes to you whiney new diary!!!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Lawks, we're not even one page on and I've been cut to the quick........ I'm choosing to believe that it was the autocorrect wot dunnit and you meant 'Shiney', but I know really you meant whine-y

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 27th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 8,716 Posts
    • 45,984 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Lawks, we're not even one page on and I've been cut to the quick........ I'm choosing to believe that it was the autocorrect wot dunnit and you meant 'Shiney', but I know really you meant whine-y

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim

Classic!! I fell foul of that typo in an old job - working for a firm producing "Corporate neckwear" - or ties and scarves for businesses, to you and me. We'd been having issues with a particularly fiddly silk screen print - it was a gorgeous design of a galleon on high seas but the waves were tipped with white as you might imagine, and the colours kept bleeding in. I learned my lesson about spellchecking when a letter nearly went out to the client with an unfortunate slip of the finger - it *should* have said "once again I have to apologise for the White in your design..." However...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£995.38 (22/06/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,853 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

Classic!! I fell foul of that typo in an old job - working for a firm producing "Corporate neckwear" - or ties and scarves for businesses, to you and me. We'd been having issues with a particularly fiddly silk screen print - it was a gorgeous design of a galleon on high seas but the waves were tipped with white as you might imagine, and the colours kept bleeding in. I learned my lesson about spellchecking when a letter nearly went out to the client with an unfortunate slip of the finger - it *should* have said "once again I have to apologise for the White in your design..." However...
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean

I've just been laughing over on your thread EH and now I'm in stitches on my own. H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S!

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 27th Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 14,035 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Going to hide in the corner now.....

(Typing on the phone is a P. I. T. A.)

But then again karma is a powerful force!
    1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 27th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 12,638 Posts
    • 220,342 Thanks
    greenbee
    Do you think Tesco would restock with avocados if we asked nicely? Otherwise there's always the 5kg order that we could split...

Actually, I need to do some research. They're still showing on mysupermarket and Tesco's website so maybe they're back?
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:49 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,853 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Do you think Tesco would restock with avocados if we asked nicely? Otherwise there's always the 5kg order that we could split...

Actually, I need to do some research. They're still showing on mysupermarket and Tesco's website so maybe they're back?
    Originally posted by greenbee

I'm happy to do so greenbee, but you know darn well that the marketing/customer service types at mrT will just roll their eyes and go, 'Oh lawks, theres that bloomin whine-y Greying Pilgrim woman complaining, AGAIN'

Perhaps they have re-stocked though, the avocados are versatile, perhaps there was sufficient demand, but folks couldn't actually FIND them instore?

Greying X

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 27th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 12,638 Posts
    • 220,342 Thanks
    greenbee
    I guess if we don't ask they won't bother. I can find a couple of bulk suppliers. If i'm ever in Tesco (and to be fair, I try to avoid it) I'll ask. If they DO stock them, I'll tidy the chest freezer and buy as many as it will fit!

I think you're right though - people probably couldn't find them. Which is kind of important!
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 27th Oct 16, 10:03 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    always nice to have a new diary - have fun with it
    1st challenge to pay CC (JV1) 0/$2100 updated
    Christmas 2018 challenge 50/600
    Work on selling items and decluttering
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 27th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 29,470 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thanks for inviting us all over although we would probably have gate crashed if you hadn't. Subscribed and can't wait to see what unfolds. It can't be more of a shock than this past year.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 27th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 14,035 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hush...
    GP might take that as a challenge and do some more baking!

Last edited by rtandon27; 27-10-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Damn phone
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 28th Oct 16, 3:46 AM
    • 15,001 Posts
    • 99,079 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hush...

Now as I sit here unable to sleep, that did make me spit out my camomile tea.

Happy Happy new diary dear hearts and baby hearts.

EH the bread and cheese was pre-empted by a small HM chip butty with lashings of butter as we just couldn't wait on the cheese's lengthy 20 min warm.

We have a new cooker (finally in) and plenty of potatoes and fresh bread if that doesn't cry chip butties I don't know what does.

Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = £0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th Oct 16, 6:26 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,853 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    It can't be more of a shock than this past year.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Hush...

IT'S TWINS!!! (not really!!!!!!!!). I think know, my days of bake orf are over You've got to quit whilst ahead, and know when you've peaked

We have a new cooker (finally in) and plenty of potatoes and fresh bread if that doesn't cry chip butties I don't know what does.

Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    That definitely cries chip buttys. Get out the serviettes, I'm on my way! I'll bring the HP and tommie sauces Sorry you couldn't sleep hun. If you're anything like me, you'll find sleep 2 minutes before the alarm goes off to.... wake you up.

We're up and about, someone is as bright as a button, some of us are less so......

Be back soon

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,853 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Now, will we get and stay ahead today? Due to our earlyish start?

Can't believe that we are nearly at the weekend again. Where does the time go?

Friday, so it should be pizza and oven chips for tea. I think it will be a 'low' calorie pizza, on account of us not having alot of cheese to throw on the top of it I will do cheese and tommy, probably, to use up the last of the cherry tomatoes that I picked up from mrL.

I thought of an item that I need to add to the 'stock cupboard' list last night and I'm blowed if I can remember what it is now. I'm experimenting with having a weekly food budget now - to co-incide with setting the meal-plan weekly. But there is still the dilemma of how to purchase the building block items - salt, sugar, tea, coffee, vinegars, flours and by bingo! I've remembered what it was - Yeast! Excuse me whilst I dash orf..................................Phew! On the list

So I'm thinking, I'll try and set the list at the start of the month, add up what it'll come to (ball-park) divide by 4 (or 5) and then 'skim' off an amount from each of the weeks. Then if there is anything that I have forgotten, it will come out of the weekly budget, but won't be so burdensome, iyswim. I'll try it anyway. If it doesn't work, I'll have to go back to the drawing board. I also want to try to make sure that there is a little bit each week available to buy 'something' for the food bank. My preference will always to buy milk (British, and only as long as they need it), but we'll see how it goes. Actually, I've just checked and the milk is still in the 'most wanted' category, so I guess I'll keep on buying it.

We need to schedule in a pootle over to mrA for something for Baby Greying. so that'll take care of today's exercise. And if I have any free time, I have plenty of 'tidying' to keep me occupied

Right, best shake a tail-feather and get started I guess.

Thanks for popping in, reading and commenting. Much appreciated, as ever.

Greying X

• try harder
    • By try harder 28th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    try harder
    Lovely new diary ,i love reading all your posts and looking at your delicious recipes ,im already looking forward to your next post .Good luck on whatever you choose to do.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 28th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 14,035 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Friday...
    Pizza chez GP...
    'nuff said
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,853 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

try harder - thank you, that is very kind. We'll see how things unfold, eh?

rtandon - correctomundo! Friday was/is indeed pizza and wedges night

Well, we went over to mrA. It's a bit of a long auld haul these days. It's like any of the big 4, I only ever go there for one or two bits and when you're on shanks' pony, it gets a bit of a faff. But still I'm too darn stubborn to pay £1 extra for the same thing from b00ts, so what to do!

I popped into the post office to put some pennies/coppers in my bank account - so much easier than using my bank, and the staff say nice things to BG without necessarily then leading into a sales pitch for a 'junior savings account' or an 'financial overhaul for mum' *sigh*

The high street was busy, due to hols I suppose, so I headed home, soonest. Completely forgetting that I had intended to go to h3ron f00ds to get the oven chips for us tea! DOH! I tell you, there must be just kittens and fluffiness in between my ears at the minute - my braincell is nowhere to be seen

Luckily DH has access to a mrL on his route home, so he was duly tasked with picking up a bag of their wedges for ... is it 65 or 68p? Anyhoo, the man came home bearing gifts, what can I say?

I did make a cheese and tomato pizza. There was just enough cheese to call it that without getting pursued by trading standards There were just enough cherry tomatoes - halved - to cover the top, without looking miserly. I sprinkled dried basil and oregano on top, a grind or two of black pepper and some nutritional yeast.

I'm afraid there are no photos. DH wanted me to take a pic of Baby Greying who had dropped off to snooze in a very, 'comfortable?, don't mind if i do' pose. Course, the battery chose to give out and I hadn't really got time to change it and faff about finding the charged battery. They have been 'moved' to a safe place to await sorting, but I'm used to having them 'to hand', but in the way........

Anyway, the pizza tasted nice, the wedges - whilst I suppose they are a processed product, and wouldn't be to everyones taste, are OK and got munched. I certainly would pay 60-something pence for them, rather than paying £2.50 for a pack of soggy chips from any of the chippers I can think of having frequented in Greying Town. And thinking about it logically, excluding cooking costs and preparation time, my pizza and wedges cost no more than £2, and could have served 4 adults (2 pieces of pizza each and some wedges), now that is what I call a meal deal

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

the Post Office - ours still tries hard (most of the time) to be a nice place to do business.

that I'm on 'Team Greying' - life's easier with support and good with love

that a sweet memory of the day has been captured for all time

Thanks for popping in, reading and commenting. Sorry about the lack of pics of us tea. Will aim to do better

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 28th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 14,035 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Can't stop humming this...

OH wants to know why!

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 28th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 16,031 Posts
    • 77,876 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Can't stop humming this...

OH wants to know why!

You've got me humming it now

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 55,072 Posts
    • 220,092 Thanks
    beanielou
    You've got me humming it now

Originally posted by Upsidedown Bear
    Me too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 10:09 PM
    • 8,716 Posts
    • 45,984 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    And me!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£995.38 (22/06/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,571Posts Today

9,107Users online

Martin's Twitter