Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 19Thanks
    MSE Tony
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 14th May 15, 12:35 PM
    AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion 14th May 15 at 12:35 PM
    Hi,

This is a feedback thread on car breakdown provider:

AutoAid

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
    • Have you experienced problems?
    • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Cheap Breakdown Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 14-05-2015 at 1:04 PM.
Page 2
    • Lulu2
    • By Lulu2 21st Jan 16, 10:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lulu2
    Auto Aid
    I've been with Auto Aid on Martin Lewis's recommendation for a few years, I've only had to use them a couple of times and had a no hassle service both times. Just about to renew my cover - definately recommend!
    • melbury
    • By melbury 27th Jan 16, 8:08 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 15,873 Thanks
    melbury
    Emergency number
    I just wanted to enquire if Auto Aid have now put a freephone number in place for emergency call outs.

I only have a PAYG mobile phone and sometimes the credit is just a couple of pounds, so I really can't be waiting on hold for ages. I have been with them for the past few years, but thankfully haven't had to get them out yet. However, I did try to phone them once when my OH couldn't get the wheel off his car to put the spare on, but just couldn't wait to actually speak to someone.

Presumably some of the breakdown insurance services have free telephone numbers don't they?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• molerat
    • By molerat 27th Jan 16, 8:16 PM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,988 Thanks
    molerat
    Had it for years.

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/about_us/contact_us.php

In case you need help arranging your assistance, call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
    Free-phone 0800 328 4439
    Local call 01277 720 700
    Minicom 0800 174 647
    01277 725 501
    Text messaging 07786 204 387 (for deaf and hard of hearing members only)
    Last edited by molerat; 27-01-2016 at 8:19 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • melbury
    • By melbury 30th Jan 16, 2:17 PM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 15,873 Thanks
    melbury
    Originally posted by molerat
    Thank you for that. Is it definitely free to call 0800 328 4439 from a mobile?

On my policy schedule it says:

Breakdown telephone number: 01277 720700, no mention whatsoever of a free number

• Quentin
    • By Quentin 30th Jan 16, 2:39 PM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    0800 numbers are free from mobiles
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 30th Jan 16, 2:42 PM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin

Breakdown telephone number: 01277 720700, no mention whatsoever of a free number
    Originally posted by melbury
    From their contact us page:

In case you need help arranging your assistance, call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
    Free-phone
    0800 328 4439
    Local call
    01277 720 700
    • melbury
    • By melbury 31st Jan 16, 10:54 AM
    • 10,089 Posts
    • 15,873 Thanks
    melbury
    From their contact us page:

Free-phone
    0800 328 4439
    Local call
    01277 720 700
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thank you, that is good news. Guess I will stay with them then, was about to start considering AA and RAC.

• Mountain Man
    • By Mountain Man 16th Mar 16, 8:35 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Mountain Man
    We needed their help after a tyre deflation on the M5. They turned up in 15 mins -sooner than the quote. Took us to a local tyre depot (a 7 seat Touran doesn't have any form of spare) and when happy that they could sort us out, said goodbye - no need to pay anything! OTHER THAN THE COST OF THE TYRE OF COURSE.
    • toshkininny
    • By toshkininny 16th Jul 16, 11:36 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    toshkininny
    not husband and wife....
    We aren't married but have lived together for a long time plus kids. So, any point me trying to get breakdown cover with them? It questions the difference in our surnameonline , so just wondering if I just changed my name to his that they won't care?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Jul 16, 12:26 PM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,988 Thanks
    molerat
    Your risk to take but if they find out and cancel the policy it may come under that good old "have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled" cover all question
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 17th Jul 16, 9:19 AM
    • 18,055 Posts
    • 112,156 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    I have been with Autoaid for several years and they have been great, however I renewed with them in May and the experience was terrible.

After many years of not needing them, I had to call them twice in the past year, first for a dud battery, then a starter motor problem. They were incredibly helpful.

However the renewal process was dire. They wanted me to pay by cheque, but I no longer had a chequebook so tried to renew online. That never recognised my account number and wouldn't allow renewal. So I called, and called, and called. In total spent over two hours trying to get through. No answer. I even tried calling the breakdown number, they were great but unable to get through.

In the end I had to buy a new policy, which was a couple of pounds more expensive as I needed to renew cover(this had been going on for a couple of weeks and was running out of time).

Disappointed with news of the company who has taken over. Will probably not renew next year, too much hassle and no guarantee of same quality of service going forward.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Jul 16, 10:17 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    penguingirl
    We aren't married but have lived together for a long time plus kids. So, any point me trying to get breakdown cover with them? It questions the difference in our surnameonline , so just wondering if I just changed my name to his that they won't care?
    Originally posted by toshkininny
    I think you have to send your marriage certificate to both get covered.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th Jul 16, 11:39 AM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Originally posted by toshkininny
    You can call yourself anything you like if there is no intention to deceive.
    However if I understand correctly you are proposing mis-representing your marital status to save about 40.
    The consequences are not getting breakdown cover or much worse having to declare FOREVER that you've had insurance cancelled.
    This stops you using on line interfaces and you'll have to admit you tried to deceive an insurance company which puts you in an extremely bad position.

They might never find out, but IMO the consequences are to serious to do this to save about 40.
    Hope that helps.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th Jul 16, 11:40 AM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I have been with Autoaid for several years and they have been great, however I renewed with them in May and the experience was terrible.

After many years of not needing them, I had to call them twice in the past year, first for a dud battery, then a starter motor problem. They were incredibly helpful.

However the renewal process was dire. They wanted me to pay by cheque, but I no longer had a chequebook so tried to renew online. That never recognised my account number and wouldn't allow renewal. So I called, and called, and called. In total spent over two hours trying to get through. No answer. I even tried calling the breakdown number, they were great but unable to get through.

In the end I had to buy a new policy, which was a couple of pounds more expensive as I needed to renew cover(this had been going on for a couple of weeks and was running out of time).

Disappointed with news of the company who has taken over. Will probably not renew next year, too much hassle and no guarantee of same quality of service going forward.
    Originally posted by vivatifosi

Wouldn't it have been easier to ask your bank for a cheque book?

But thanks for the heads up.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Jul 16, 1:20 PM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,988 Thanks
    molerat
    Renewed this month on line no problems although it did take a week for the certificate e-mail to come through. Renewal invite 4th, renewed 6th - confirmation e-mail immediate, certificate 14th.
    Last edited by molerat; 17-07-2016 at 1:24 PM.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 17th Jul 16, 3:52 PM
    • 18,055 Posts
    • 112,156 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Wouldn't it have been easier to ask your bank for a cheque book?

But thanks for the heads up.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    With hindsight probably. I know that they have undergone a change of management and wonder if my renewal (end of May) coincided with a key period in this. Either way it was a bl**dy nightmare!

Just don't leave it until the last minute!
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 19th Jul 16, 9:38 AM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    hubb
    Well after receiving a letter saying my breakdown will be renewed, I have still not had any confirmation by post or email so I have tried to phone them. And phone them. And phone them. And phone them with no answer.

I have emailed a few times. No answer.

I will now have to look elsewhere for my breakdown cover as they are hopeless.
    Last edited by hubb; 19-07-2016 at 9:52 AM.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 19th Jul 16, 5:13 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    hubb
    Anyone ? Still heard nothing from Auto Aid (or not Aid as the case may be)
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 3rd Aug 16, 2:42 PM
    • 15,316 Posts
    • 131,104 Thanks
    zagubov
    I think you have to send your marriage certificate to both get covered.
    Originally posted by penguingirl
    We never had to do that (when we joined years ago).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 4th Aug 16, 8:50 AM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Anyone ? Still heard nothing from Auto Aid (or not Aid as the case may be)
    Yep, I got an email, paid on line, then a while later got the documents through in email.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,150Posts Today

6,156Users online

Martin's Twitter