Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ebico

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 2:02 PM.
Page 3
    • moneysaver129
    • By moneysaver129 4th May 15, 2:43 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moneysaver129
    I am with Ebico. Can someone answer me the following:

I pay about £1000 per year (gas and electric). There are no standing charges on Ebico.
    On the cheap energy club I am shown saving £300 approximately if I change supplier (It has standing charges).
    The question is does this £300 saving include the new standing charges I will be charged by the new supplier or will the new standing charges come out of the £300 saving. It is not clear on the cheap energy club site.
    Also can anyone tell me if it is now become standard practice that when changing supplier they mostly make up the readings at first. So that the next time there is actually a accurate reading will be on the first meter reading by the company. The last time I changed I provided very accurate readings to the new and old supplier but neither used them. They just agreed a reading between them and relied on the next real reading they did.

Finally it appears to me I never made the savings the switch site claimed I would make despite my entering the specific annual useage KWH. Does any one know if these switching sites are just making the savings up? I seem to remember Uswitch were questioned about this and their CEO? got very shirty?
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 4th May 15, 7:45 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    Yes, quotes from CEC and other comparison sites include standing charges. Check on a second site where it is easier to alter your estimated usage.

As to savings you should look at the annual costs of the new tariffs compared with your current one rather than savings - especially if on a fix (but this is unlikely with Ebico.) But when switching to Ebico this may be the confusion over savings you encountered. C.f. lots of threads.
    • moneysaver129
    • By moneysaver129 5th May 15, 2:05 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    moneysaver129
    Yes, quotes from CEC and other comparison sites include standing charges. Check on a second site where it is easier to alter your estimated usage.
    Originally posted by Nada666
    Can you explain a bit further how the estimated usage and second sites influences standing charges?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th May 15, 9:28 AM
    • 27,366 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    As far as I am aware there has never been a case demonstrated on MSE of the comparison websites getting their figures wrong if a customer enters their annual kWh consumption.

There is confusion if you are on a fixed rate tariff that finishes in the next 12 months. Some comparison sites make the assumption that you will switch to the company's expensive standard tariff for the remainder of the 12 month term and give a price based on that assumption. e.g. if your fixed rate tariff finishes in 3 months time, they will give current costs for 3 months on the fixed tariff and 9 months on their standard tariff.

In your example of Ebico charging £1,000 pa, any tariff showing a £300 saving will have taken into account the Daily Standard Charge on the new tariff.

On the subject of meter readings when switching, they will usually accept the reading you give(the gaining company will ask for the reading). However if the losing company feel that the reading is inaccurate they can object - they use a complex computer algorithm to estimate a reading on a specific date.

It is pertinent to point out that some posters on MSE openly advocate 'fudging' the meter readings to their advantage.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 5th May 15, 12:00 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    As far as I am aware there has never been a case demonstrated on MSE of the comparison websites getting their figures wrong if a customer enters their annual kWh consumption....
    Originally posted by Cardew
    You may have missed them, but there have been the rare occassions in the past that the odd comparison site does get it wrong (but nowhere near the number of posts on MSE suggesting so)

Usually the error can be identified with a little further investigation. (I can only remember once where I had no idea where a certain comparison site was getting it's figures for a certain supplier & tariff, probably in a specific region too, from)

Typically the errors occur due to an error in the unit rates or standing charge applied, perhaps confusing E7 with non-E7 rates or using the wrong region's rates.

That is why I would always recommend consulting at least 2 different, independent comparison sites as it's very unlikely that 2 separate sites will make the same error.

Having made that recomendation, I do remember once when several comparison sites did make the same error, and so gave the same erroneous output. It is unlikely to occur today with Ofgem's new regulations, but in the past a certain supplier on a certain tariff gave a prompt payment discount of something like £25 per quarter for those paying quarterly on receipt of bill, and importantly this was guaranteed for those paying quarterly by DD. assuning the DD was met. (i.e £100 a year). Then that supplier, on one tariff update, quietly changed that discount to £25 per year. (I may have got the figures wrong, but that was the gist of what went wrong) To be fair, this change was hidden in the middle of something like a 37 page document, so it was not too surprising that some of the comparison sites had missed it.
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 6th May 15, 8:54 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    Every time I switch what I provide as my usage is what is asked for. You choose.

The amount will be reviewed more often than only at the end of a year. Remember that any underpayment will be repaid at at least twice the delta. If you underpay by £300 then both that arrears plus that assumed ongoing usage has to be paid for - so the increase in payments will be £50 per month not £25. Seasonal adjustments may also be applied.

(Of course, being Ebico, you may prefer to just pay quarterly on receipt of your bill as there is no discount for paying monthly.)
    Last edited by Nada666; 06-05-2015 at 9:07 AM.
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 6th May 15, 4:15 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    Anyone else who can answer this? Thanks
    Originally posted by moneysaver129
    Nada answered it for you
    • elizabeth2015
    • By elizabeth2015 31st Jan 16, 12:36 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    elizabeth2015
    I've been with Ebico for a year now and had no problems at all. My gas usage is very low and my bill has been cut in half as I no longer pay standing charges. And there is no penalty for not paying by DD.

My only beef is that MSE CheapEnergyClub didnt tell me about what I could be saving as by default the search was only showing suppliers that involved cashback. Would have moved 2 or 3 years ago if I had known.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 31st Jan 16, 1:53 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    My only beef is that MSE CheapEnergyClub didnt tell me about what I could be saving as by default the search was only showing suppliers that involved cashback. Would have moved 2 or 3 years ago if I had known.
    Originally posted by elizabeth2015
    That doesn't sound right. I thought the MSE CEC gave details of all tariffs whether or not they can actually switch you.

Where is the ability on the site to change this?
    (other comparison sites do offer this option, but I can't find it on the CEC)

Also, the CEC is actually a notification service rather than just a conventional comparison site - it sends you alerts when there is a cheaper deal available. Surely it sends details of any tariff that beats what you are curently paying, not just ones they can eran from from by switching you to. Well it does for me, and I can't see where to change that.
    (The only filter that the customer can set is the level of saving to be achieved before notification is sent.)
    There is also a filter that allows you to compare only those tariffs with zero standing charge, but you have to set that ... and I'm not sure why you would. Just leave filters as wide as possible and compare the whole market - the cheapest deal is then quite clear

The other filter that the CEC insists you set is how you prefer to pay. e.g. monthly dd, quarterly cash/cheque, etc. Not sure why they don't offer the possibility of "any" which some comparison site do.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 31st Jan 16, 1:56 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    I've been with Ebico for a year now and had no problems at all. My gas usage is very low and my bill has been cut in half as I no longer pay standing charges. And there is no penalty for not paying by DD....
    As I mentioned in the other thread you posted this in, the official way Ebico spell this out is that they do not offer any discount to customers paying monthly by DD (despite if being less cost to them to collect money this way)

This is because they efficively use this money to subsidise those that are on a PPM which are otherwise more expensive to service.
    • elizabeth2015
    • By elizabeth2015 31st Jan 16, 5:14 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    elizabeth2015
    I'm not sure where I went to untick (or tick?) the required field but I did so after emailing CheapEnergyClub to ask if there was any reason they werent offering Ebico as an option and I was then told where to go on the site to untick, or tick, the required box (and havent used it since) It's possible they may have changed this as there was a bit of a hoo haa a year or so ago about energy comparison sites getting commision. Of course they have to pay their way so I'm fine with that but I think they became a bit more transparent after that.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 31st Jan 16, 5:44 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    I'm not sure where I went to untick (or tick?) the required field but I did so after emailing CheapEnergyClub to ask if there was any reason they werent offering Ebico as an option and I was then told where to go on the site to untick, or tick, the required box (and havent used it since) It's possible they may have changed this as there was a bit of a hoo haa a year or so ago about energy comparison sites getting commision. Of course they have to pay their way so I'm fine with that but I think they became a bit more transparent after that.
    Yeah, all a bit woolly innit? Maybe this'll help ...

The limitations of comparison sites Ė they don't always show all tariffs

Bear in mind that some comparison sites by default only show you tariffs you can switch to via them (ie, where they're paid commission). This filters out some results unlike Cheap Energy Club which shows you ALL those available by default and always has done.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
    Last edited by footyguy; 31-01-2016 at 5:55 PM.
    • TheHeatingEngineer
    • By TheHeatingEngineer 17th Aug 16, 5:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheHeatingEngineer
    The switch was automatic but took a long time - a month or so.
    They then provided a means of sending my readings by text which failed. I asked for a copy of the required format which they gave but in the meantime I had discovered how to prompt the text system for the format... and the two were different. I began a complaint with a resolution being that the format should be published on the web site - not an unreasonable place for it to be found?? but that never happened... A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...
    This began warning bells because the company clearly has no interest in accurate admin or solving admin problems.
    Then gradually SSE took over all communications to the point now where I would be pushed to demonstrate that I have a contract with Ebico.
    And finally just a few months down the line and MSE is showing a much better fixed price deal - and I am not a heavy user...

So what is the point of Ebico...??
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Aug 16, 6:24 PM
    • 27,366 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew

So what is the point of Ebico...??
    Originally posted by TheHeatingEngineer
    As far as I am aware, the administration of Ebico has always been handled by Southern Electricity.

The point of Ebico is that very low users do not pay a Daily Standing Charge.

It also charges the same price for those on a pay as you go meter, or wish to pay quarterly.

Also it is non profit making.
    • TheHeatingEngineer
    • By TheHeatingEngineer 17th Aug 16, 8:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheHeatingEngineer
    None of that would entice me to use them, had I known beforehand, the issues I experienced. My experience may not concern others, but it left me with a jaundiced view...
    • StefanLee
    • By StefanLee 3rd Jan 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StefanLee
    Switching energy suppliers
    Went to their site to see about switching to new supplier for a cheaper price, price they quoted was for
    £100 per year MORE !!!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 3rd Jan 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    Went to their site to see about switching to new supplier for a cheaper price, price they quoted was for
    £100 per year MORE !!!
    Originally posted by StefanLee
    Welcome to MSE

Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

There is no universal cheapest supplier - if there were, we'd all be on it and there would be no reson to have comparison sites, or indeed any other supplier.

If you did any research about this company at all, you would know Ebico is not necessarily to do with cost.
    They are reasonably priced for those with PPMs or who prefer to pay quarterly by cash or cheque on receipt of bills, and with no standing charge, they promote lower usage.

They will rarely be the cheapest if you are prepared to pay monthly by direct debit (as they use these savings to cross fund the more vulnerable customers who cannot pay this way), nor for higher consumers.
    The bigger suppliers like higher consumers as that means hoigher profits.

Ebico don't care about attracting more profitable customers , because Ebico is a not for profit supplier.

(But you knew all that anyway... Good luck!)
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Feb 17, 5:06 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    Ebico drop SSE in favour of Robin Hood Energy
    I know this is currently being mentioned in other threads currently, but thought it would be useful indicating the change of supply partner here too, for future reference.

SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. As a result, we have brought our partnership with SSE to a close. However, we are delighted to announce the launch of Ebico Zero with our new supply partner, Robin Hood Energy....
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/

It should be noted that the supply partner is responsible for billing, payment coolection and meter reading ... and certainly was the first port of call for customer service enquiries when SSE were the supply partner.
    (although Ebico also had their own small team if customers needed further assistence)

Therefore the majority of feedback to date is probably not really applicable from this point forward.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 2nd Mar 17, 8:43 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Therefore the majority of feedback to date is probably not really applicable from this point forward.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Doesn't make sense. Feedback up to this point compared with feedback after this point is a useful comparison between support from SSE and RHE. It probably goes without saying that it was SSE's support which earned Ebico it's upper position in customer support rankings.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 12th Aug 17, 9:41 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    wavelets
    Unable to pay
    No, it's not my shortcoming, but an issue a at Ebico/RHE.

What on earth has happened at Ebico since this change of supply partner???

I've finally got my first bill from Ebico after the switch early April. I'm with Ebico due to their no standing charge tariff, because my bills are very low.

I'm not on Direct Debit, so the bill needs paying this week,
    But neither their online payment system nor their phone system will accept payment
    Apparently the amount I owe is too low for them to take the payment

So what am I supposed to do????
    Why can't I pay by bank transfer like I could with SSE?

I'm trying to call them. Was cut off when waiting for a customer advisor from the payment option.
    Now been on hold since 9am ... still holding. Called before 9am to be advised they don't open until 9am. Called bang on 9am and still on hold!

By contrast, I also had reason to call SSE, the old supply partner, today. I got through straight away (after going through umpteen automated reponses).

I wondering if RHE's hold music, Brandon Flowers - I can change, is trying to send me a subliminal message
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,164Posts Today

6,184Users online

Martin's Twitter