Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ebico

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 2:02 PM.
Page 2
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 4th Feb 13, 9:17 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    It's basically wrong then....
  • Wywth
    It's basically wrong then....
    Originally posted by MillicentBystander
    Correct, it is wrong. The data is obviously in the MSM database somewhere but it appears to point to the wrong field or something when calculating current cost.
    This is fundamentally an MSM error rather than an MSE one (but it affects both) - perhaps that is why Martin favours EHL?
    Although to be fair, EHL (and I guess all the others) have had the odd error in the past too. It's an awful lot of complex data to number crunch.

I suspect they will correct it if someone wishes to alert them to the error
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 4th Feb 13, 10:11 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Correct, it is wrong. The data is obviously in the MSM database somewhere but it appears to point to the wrong field or something when calculating current cost.
    This is fundamentally an MSM error rather than an MSE one (but it affects both) - perhaps that is why Martin favours EHL?
    Although to be fair, EHL (and I guess all the others) have had the odd error in the past too. It's an awful lot of complex data to number crunch.

I suspect they will correct it if someone wishes to alert them to the error
    Originally posted by Wywth

The difference with this site though is that all the subsequent recommendations will be inaccurate if the initial data is wrong. That was basically my point earlier when i suggested they should insist on punters inputting actual 12 month usage figures as opposed to the monthly figure they currently pay because the initial data is crucial if the back up recommendations are to be in any way accurate/useful.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 4th Feb 13, 10:29 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    I am not making out you are a liar, I am simply saying I do not know where you got this information from.

But come June, we'll all know the truth won't we

It would appear to be Ebico, according to his/her post. Can't imagine it going down too well either . I'll phone them tomorrow for my own peace of mind....
  • Wywth
    As recently as October 2012, Ebico confirmed they were against the idea of standing charges
    https://www.ebico.org.uk/blog/2012/10/15/a-plea-for-really-simple-price-comparison/

I would have thought if they had changed that position, they would have posted it somewhere.

Edit: as recently as 29 January 2013 they posted on facebook boasting of a simple tariff with no standing charges (or tie ins or cancellation fees)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ebico-Ltd/112467313920
    You'd have thought if they planned to change that, they wouldn't be still boasting about it.

Edit 2: Here's Ebico's letter to Ofgem last year:
    https://www.ebico.org.uk/blog/2012/02/24/a-letter-to-ofgem/

The Retail Market Review: Domestic Proposals Consultation Response !!!8211; Ebico Limited

Ebico is a not-for-profit company established, in 1998, specifically to help the fuel poor. We are different from all other energy providers in that our gas and electricity tariffs (EquiGas and EquiPower) are the same price (nationally for gas and regionally for electricity) regardless of how the customer pays. Thus, our direct debit customers pay the same price per unit of fuel as our PPM customers. We also have no standing charge and no tiered pricing: we charge the same price per unit of fuel whatever quantity of fuel the customer uses. Genuinely having no standing charge is a vital feature of our tariffs.
    Last edited by Wywth; 04-02-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 4th Feb 13, 10:51 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Agreed, it would be a real about turn if it happened. We'll find out tomorrow.
  • sianamy1234
    [QUOTE=Wywth;59132715]Whoops, no, sorry, these are for customers with a credit meter only.

As a prepayment customer, you could save £25 a year switching to Utilita as a dual fuel customer, or better still just switch your electricity to them for a £35 a year saving leaving the gas with Ebico.
    Note that early exit fees apply with Utilita so you might prefer to stay with Ebico

Have you considered switching to a credit meter? As you can see, there are significant savings to be had if you could get credit meters installed.

To my mind a credit meter is just like getting a quarterly bill...and the fewer direct debits in my life the better. I know it may be cheaper but there is such peace of mind knowing there are no big bills coming through the door, at least for energy.
  • Wywth
    Agreed, it would be a real about turn if it happened. We'll find out tomorrow.
    Agreed.

As recently as January 16, 2013, Ebico posted on their facebook page:

...we!!!8217;re determined to keep EquiGas and EquiPower standing charge-free.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ebico-Ltd/112467313920

Get them to post an update in the unlikely event they have changed their minds within the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Wywth; 04-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 5th Feb 13, 11:10 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Just phoned Ebico and fred121 is incorrect. They confirmed that SSE may be introducing a standing charge but Ebico will certainly not be doing so.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th Feb 13, 11:25 AM
    • 27,366 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    Just phoned Ebico and fred121 is incorrect. They confirmed that SSE may be introducing a standing charge but Ebico will certainly not be doing so.
    I read somewhere that Ebico will have to introduce a standing charge to conform to the guidance - and that charge will be £0.00 a day
  • Atidi
    ebico will be introducing standing charges during 2013. phone them and ask and ebico will tell you the same thing. i do not see your point in making out i am a liar
    Originally posted by fred121
    I am not making out you are a liar, ...
    Oh, can I do please?

• sianamy1234
    [QUOTE=sianamy1234;59136271][QUOTE=Wywth;59132715]Whoops, no, sorry, these are for customers with a credit meter only.

As a prepayment customer, you could save £25 a year switching to Utilita as a dual fuel customer, or better still just switch your electricity to them for a £35 a year saving leaving the gas with Ebico.
    Note that early exit fees apply with Utilita so you might prefer to stay with Ebico

Have you considered switching to a credit meter? As you can see, there are significant savings to be had if you could get credit meters installed.
  • sianamy1234
    To my mind a credit meter is just like getting a quarterly bill...and the fewer direct debits in my life the better. I know it may be cheaper but there is such peace of mind knowing there are no big bills coming through the door, at least for energy.[/QUOTE]
    • alanq
    • By alanq 20th Mar 13, 3:54 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    alanq
    Transfer from British Gas to Ebico fouled up by Ebico/Southern Electricity missing a digit from the gas meter reading that I supplied.
  • Wywth
    Transfer from British Gas to Ebico fouled up by Ebico/Southern Electricity missing a digit from the gas meter reading that I supplied.
    Originally posted by alanq

How did you supply the meter reading?

If you had used the SSE automated meter line on 0800 220 995, then any error would only be caused by your own erroneous input

• alanq
    • By alanq 21st Mar 13, 6:27 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    alanq
    How did you supply the meter reading?
    I rang with a query and the agent asked me to supply the information while I was on the phone. I did not speak erroneously.
  • Wywth
    I rang with a query and the agent asked me to supply the information while I was on the phone. I did not speak erroneously.
    Originally posted by alanq
    What was the nature of the query you called them about?
    • KennyJ
    • By KennyJ 12th Nov 13, 3:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KennyJ
    Request to switch
    I've completed the online process to switch today, so we'll see how long the process takes and see how smoothly or not it goes.

I'll keep you posted
    • elizabeth2015
    • By elizabeth2015 21st Feb 15, 4:04 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    elizabeth2015
    Began the switch 5 weeks ago. Still waiting for Ebico/SE to suppy EDF with my meter reading in order to complete my switch. At least, that is what EDF told me when I enquired. Getting a bit impatient now.
    Email comms with Ebico quickly responded to. Havent had direct contact with their supplier SE, but did an online meter read when asked.
    Will report on progress.
  • Puffer
    I'm likely to change to Ebico shortly for dual fuel on a low-usage property. I'm currently with Southern (SSE) - so can I assume that the SSE-Ebico tie-up should make the transfer process swift and painless (or is that asking too much)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,164Posts Today

6,184Users online

Martin's Twitter