Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ebico

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 2:02 PM.
Page 1
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 3rd Feb 13, 5:42 AM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 3rd Feb 13, 5:42 AM
    • 3rd Feb 13, 5:42 AM
    Ebico are for low users, e.g.holiday homes and well insulated properties.
    Admin is by SSE, faultless.
  • Wywth
    • 3rd Feb 13, 12:22 PM
    • 3rd Feb 13, 12:22 PM
    Switches, both into and out from Ebico went smoothly, except you do need to chase them* if you are supplied via an IGT as it does take quite a bit of time. They* claim they are waiting for a reply in the post (IGT's sometimes do not have compatible online systems) yet a quick look in their back-office intray shows they actually had the letter a long time back but it just isn't loaded to their* computer

(* Note that Ebico use SSE as their billing partner. All references to 'them', 'their', etc refer to SSE. You get a freefone number to contact SSE)

You can contact Ebico directly by phone or email, and they are very helpful - although if it relates to a billing query you will usually be told to contact SSE as Ebico do not have direct access to your billing info (or switching progression, etc)
    Ebico will take up any issues you have with SSE if necessary, but a delay is inevitable whilst they have to contact SSE to investigate.

Ebico have a simple single tariff that applies to all irrespective of payment type, even PPMs are charges the same. (Electricity prices do vary by region, as they do with all other suppliers) They do not have 2 tier pricing nor any standing charges. I don't know where fred121 gets the ide they plan to introduce a standing charge as Ebico's whole USP is that they don't have one...and as far as I know, have no plans to introduce one.
    Last edited by Wywth; 03-02-2013 at 12:29 PM.
  • Wywth
    • 3rd Feb 13, 12:41 PM
    • 3rd Feb 13, 12:41 PM
    [quoted text removed by MSE Forum Team]

Ebico charge 5.06p/kWh for their gas (That's it, no other rates or charges apply)

Which SSE tariff can you buy gas from for 2.53p/kWh???
    (and that ignores the other rates or charges they will apply)

I just can't see how you can possibly be paying double for the gas from Ebico compared to what you can buy it from SSE for

Ebico buy their energy from SSE themselves ... but level out the charges so everyone pays the same pro-rata to their usage. Ebico are a not-for-profit company.
    Last edited by MSE Investigator; 07-02-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: pending investigation
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 3rd Feb 13, 5:54 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 3rd Feb 13, 5:54 PM
    • 3rd Feb 13, 5:54 PM
    Switched to them back in June from SSE standard, switched away in November when they decided not to give a free credit meter.

Great if your a low energy user or are stuck on prepayment. But not the cheapest for direct debit customers
    • cing0
    • By cing0 3rd Feb 13, 8:02 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    cing0
    • 3rd Feb 13, 8:02 PM
    • 3rd Feb 13, 8:02 PM
    When switching to Ebico for dual fuel (SSE), they invented their own meter readings despite confirming the ones sent to them. This is standard practice within the industry.
    Didn't bother to say they had a problem with the meter readings - again, standard practice.
    The old supplier had completely different meter readings however the EO refused to consider the old supplier had cocked up so I can't comment on the magnitude and extent of Ebico's failings.
    Ebico failed to recognise a complaint when sent to them. They refused to cough up anything.
    The Ebico customer services PC had the clock date wound back by a day for email responses.
    I have used them in the past however I'm since wise to all of the energy companies so know what to expect.
    • Jem8472
    • By Jem8472 3rd Feb 13, 8:53 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Jem8472
    • 3rd Feb 13, 8:53 PM
    • 3rd Feb 13, 8:53 PM
    I have been using them for a while.

They may not be the cheapest for me but I like the way the price things, I like how I can easily work out what I am playing. I have never had an issue with their billing or anything.

I would recommend them to anyone.
    Jeremy

Married 9th May 2009
  • Wywth
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:21 AM
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:21 AM
    Switched to them back in June from SSE standard, switched away in November when they decided not to give a free credit meter.

Great if your a low energy user or are stuck on prepayment. But not the cheapest for direct debit customers
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    Why did you want to change meter when you were with Ebico?
    They charge all their customers the same price no matter how they pay.
  • Wywth
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:25 AM
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:25 AM
    When switching to Ebico for dual fuel (SSE), they invented their own meter readings despite confirming the ones sent to them. This is standard practice within the industry....
    Originally posted by cing0
    Really???

When I switched to Ebico they used the meter readings I supplied...as did all the other suppliers I've ever switched to.
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 4th Feb 13, 12:46 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    [quoted text removed by MSE Forum Team]

I'm with ebico for my gas supply. I just checked a few minutes ago, whether I can find a cheaper supplier. I use about 2500 kwh a year. Ebico is still the cheapest.

The next cheapest (npower) will charge £8.50 per annum more and the dearest (npower again) wants an additional £95.00 p.a.
    Last edited by MSE Investigator; 07-02-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: pending investigation
  • Wywth
    I'm with ebico for my gas supply. I just checked a few minutes ago, whether I can find a cheaper supplier. I use about 2500 kwh a year. Ebico is still the cheapest.

The next cheapest (npower) will charge £8.50 per annum more and the dearest (npower again) wants an additional £95.00 p.a.
    Originally posted by bengal-stripe
    To be fair, that is an abnormally low annual consumption figure for gas.
    An average household uses 16,500kWh of gas a year according to Ofgem.

Having said that, I do doubt the reliability of the Newbie's content for the reasons I gave earlier in this thread
  • sianamy1234
    Ebico
    Firstly, thank you to Martin's Money for helping the nation find cheaper fuel deals...it is very much appreciated. I am with Ebico duelfuel on a prepayment meter, and when I did a comparison for a cheaper fuel deal I found that Ebico duelfuel was on the list telling me I could be £70 better off....I am confused.
  • Wywth
    Firstly, thank you to Martin's Money for helping the nation find cheaper fuel deals...it is very much appreciated. I am with Ebico duelfuel on a prepayment meter, and when I did a comparison for a cheaper fuel deal I found that Ebico duelfuel was on the list telling me I could be £70 better off....I am confused.
    Originally posted by sianamy1234
    I wonder if it would be too much to tell us
    1. what you input as your annual consumption figures
    2. what your supply region is (or first part of your postcode)

Ebicos billing structure really is very, very straightforward, I really can't see how this mistake could happen ... or indeed why you are finding it difficult to know what your annual cost would be.
  • sianamy1234
    I wonder if it would be too much to tell us
    1. what you input as your annual consumption figures
    2. what your supply region is (or first part of your postcode)

Ebicos billing structure really is very, very straightforward, I really can't see how this mistake could happen ... or indeed why you are finding it difficult to know what your annual cost would be.
    Originally posted by Wywth
    I put a monthly figure in to both gas and electric, so I am not finding it difficult to know my annual cost!! I just did not know why I was quoted a cheaper deal with Ebico when I am already with them.
  • Wywth
    I put a monthly figure in to both gas and electric, so I am not finding it difficult to know my annual cost!! I just did not know why I was quoted a cheaper deal with Ebico when I am already with them.
    ... and those monthly figures were??

(Don't forget the supply region too please)
  • sianamy1234
    ... and those monthly figures were??

(Don't forget the supply region too please)
    £480 for gas per year and £420 for electric. I live in the CA1 area.
  • Wywth
    £480 for gas per year and £420 for electric. I live in the CA1 area.
    If that consumption exactly covers your usage at todays ebico prices (note that they went up in December), then I estimate you consume 2552 kWh of electricity per year (@16.454p/kWh inc VAT) and 9504kWh of gas per year (@5.05p/kWh inc VAT)

You should ideally check these values according to your latest bill or by contacting your supplier.

That will cost you £900 per year with Ebico

Switch to Spark and you could save £130 per year or £116 per year with the Co-op, or even £112 with SSE (Discounted Energy Bonus April 2015 tariff).

Switching to SSE should be a simple case of calling them and they should be able to transfer you to the cheaper tariff immediately instead of having to wait 4-6 weeks that it typically takes to switch supplier
    Last edited by Wywth; 04-02-2013 at 7:58 PM.
  • sianamy1234
    If that consumption exactly covers your usage at todays ebico prices (note that they went up in December), then I estimate you consume 2552 kWh of electricity per year (@16.454p/kWh inc VAT) and 9504kWh of gas per year (@5.05p/kWh inc VAT)

You should ideally check these values according to your latest bill or by contacting your supplier.

That will cost you £900 per year with Ebico

Switch to Spark and you could save £130 per year or £116 per year with the Co-op, or even £112 with SSE (Discounted Energy Bonus April 2015 tariff).

Switching to SSE should be a simple case of calling them and they should be able to transfer you to the cheaper tariff immediately instead of having to wait 4-6 weeks that it typically takes to switch supplier

Thank you for your help. I wonder why these energy providers did not come up when I put these details into the energy club check?? Are these prepayment tarrifs?
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 4th Feb 13, 8:34 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    Kite2010
    Why did you want to change meter when you were with Ebico?
    They charge all their customers the same price no matter how they pay.
    The idea was to change to a credit meter so that some of the cheaper deals were available from other suppliers.
  • Wywth
    Thank you for your help. I wonder why these energy providers did not come up when I put these details into the energy club check?? Are these prepayment tarrifs?
    Whoops, no, sorry, these are for customers with a credit meter only.

As a prepayment customer, you could save £25 a year switching to Utilita as a dual fuel customer, or better still just switch your electricity to them for a £35 a year saving leaving the gas with Ebico.
    Note that early exit fees apply with Utilita so you might prefer to stay with Ebico

Have you considered switching to a credit meter? As you can see, there are significant savings to be had if you could get credit meters installed.

The issue appears to be when you input your annual usage in £, the MSM site (where MSE is getting its data from) calculates the usage of your electricity using 19.719p/kWh (which is actually the day rate for E7 in your region) rather than the correct figure of 16.454p/kWh which it does use to generate the apparant saving for you
    Last edited by Wywth; 04-02-2013 at 9:05 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,473Posts Today

7,953Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin