Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:14 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Edf Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 1:10 PM.
Page 9
    • TheMidnightSkulker
    • By TheMidnightSkulker 27th Aug 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheMidnightSkulker
    EDF almost tripled our electricity bill from £116 to £295

Speaking of enormous increases in bills, my elderly mother, who I live with, showed me that EDF have in the last 3 months increased the electricity bill from £116 per month to £295. (We have dual fuel and that doesn't include the gas bill. I won't be talking about gas here.)

The letter said she'd recently contacted them asking for her direct debit to be switched and as a result they'd be charging her £295 per month from then on.

WTF. She didn't contact them.

And no, we haven't done anything in the last three months that would jack our electricity usage up to industrial levels.

We also just got our meter read a couple of days ago, and then a card in the post to fill in with a new reading because they say they've just had a reading inconsistent with our recorded history.

I hope this means they've made a big mistake and are about to discover it, because if not, it means they're going to charge over £4K per year for energy from now on.

I hope this means they've made a mistake and are about to discover it? If they dispute that we didn't actually ask them to change the direct debit, does that mean we'll be locked in for a certain period of time? (The letter does say direct debit, not tariff.)

Basically WTF? Has anyone else experienced this?

Worst case, we'll switch, but I just. WHAT.
    • rebgershon
    • By rebgershon 15th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rebgershon
    Current EDF tariff not on you energy saving club list
    Hi, as per the above title, I tried to do an energy comparison with my current plan with EDF but couldn't find it listed.

I'm on EDF Blue+Price Protection Jun18v2. Perhaps this is too new to be listed.

I wanted to do the comparison before your energy club offer expired.

Any thoughts anyone?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 15th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 5,933 Posts
    • 3,652 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hi, as per the above title, I tried to do an energy comparison with my current plan with EDF but couldn't find it listed.

I'm on EDF Blue+Price Protection Jun18v2. Perhaps this is too new to be listed.

I wanted to do the comparison before your energy club offer expired.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Originally posted by rebgershon
    If you have any queries or concerns, you can email us at energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com. Please include your full name, the email address you joined with and your postcode.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,988 Thanks
    molerat
    It shows for me, directly below the Price Protection Jun18
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • rebgershon
    • By rebgershon 15th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rebgershon
    I don't see anything except Standard Variable and a number of 'Simply Fixed' tariffs with months and year on them
    • rebgershon
    • By rebgershon 15th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rebgershon
    Silly me, just found it when trying to scroll up the list
    • Thumper63
    • By Thumper63 13th Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Thumper63
    Total Shambles..
    Since switching to edf, I have had nothing but problems..

Firstly, they were incapable of setting up a direct debit, resulting in a considerable debt, that I have had to repay..

And then, as a coup de grâce, it has taken since August 2016 to install and commission Smart Meters, AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T MANAGED TO COMPLETE THE JOB..!!

We have been through their escalated Customer Resolutions Team, the Ombudsman: Energy, and still they can't attend when they say they will - using "Oh, it's our third party subcontractors letting us down.."

Two failed appointments in this month, October, alone, and still nowhere nearer a resolution..

As a disabled customer, I thought that having smart meters installed would help both us and them, but they just do not care, and do not listen..

Frustrated beyond belief..

James
    • notsurprised
    • By notsurprised 16th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    notsurprised
    200% DD increase
    I changed to EDF as my cheap energy deal with BG was ending. BG would have doubled my direct debit with their increased prices.I was always in credit by an average £500.

EDF energy deal was good, direct debit fine them wham! They increased it by 200% because they said (just after the snow forecast) .I was going to use at least another £700. I have all my previous bills with BG and no way could I ever use the amount EDF claim. I've now twice requested my direct debit be reduced.but get ignored. I have no choice than to cancel the direct debit. I simply cannot afford these payments. So, I'll lose the deal I got through MSE energy club.
    • cornfred
    • By cornfred 10th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cornfred
    I've been with EDF for years and never had any trouble with them. Find them really helpful and work with my desires. Just changed my tariff with the switch and found out that I will be paying less for gas and electric than I was paying on my tarrif with them till end of Feb. 18. As far as D/D goes you just need to contact them and they are ready to negotiate with you and change. Don't take what they're computer says.
    • David M Johnson
    • By David M Johnson 13th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    David M Johnson
    Energy estimates by EDF
    I switched to EDF using MSE at the end of August. They quoted me a monthly DD for dual fuel of £66. When I checked my previous year's energy useage using my spreadsheet, entering EDF's standing charges and rates, I discovered this payment would not cover my energy useage, assuming I used the same amount as the previous year.
    I contacted EDF and voluntarily incresed my monthly payment to £76. which should cover my needs
    EDF took £66 in Sept and £76 in Oct and Nov.
    I sent in my meter readings at the end of November, I received an email saying that although I was almost £30 in credit, they wanted to increase my monthly payment to £77 /month.
    Only £1, I agree, but symptomatic of what I had heard from an ex customer of EDF, who told me that every time he sent in a meter reading, EDF demanded an increase in his monthly payment.
    It appears to me that EDF entice customers by quoting a low monthly payment - Tying them in with a £35 / fuel exit fee (£70) then bumping up the amount they have to pay each month. I was also warned that at the end of the contract, EDF are very slow to refund overpaid amounts.
    I hope MSE take notice of this practice, because I don't think I am the only one it has happened to.

I have informed EDF that I will NOT accept any further increases in my monthly Direct Debit, and should they attempt to increase my monthly payment again, I will immediately cancel their DD at my bank. If I have underpaid (according to MY spreadsheet) at the end of my contract I will challenge their billing system at Ofcom. They are the most unreliable energy company I have ever dealt with.
    • Anesidora
    • By Anesidora 13th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    Anesidora
    Since switching to edf, I have had nothing but problems..

Firstly, they were incapable of setting up a direct debit, resulting in a considerable debt, that I have had to repay..

And then, as a coup de grâce, it has taken since August 2016 to install and commission Smart Meters, AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T MANAGED TO COMPLETE THE JOB..!!

We have been through their escalated Customer Resolutions Team, the Ombudsman: Energy, and still they can't attend when they say they will - using "Oh, it's our third party subcontractors letting us down.."

Two failed appointments in this month, October, alone, and still nowhere nearer a resolution..

As a disabled customer, I thought that having smart meters installed would help both us and them, but they just do not care, and do not listen..

Frustrated beyond belief..

James
    Originally posted by Thumper63
    I am also having problems with smart meters since I joined EDF in October, can't get one even though i was assured I would.
    Also I have just found out my electricity account is not live and they have to contact my previous supplier to get my closing readings , all of which they told me they already had done
    So now I have a wait of " about 6 weeks" till they can generate a bill!
    Really hopeless customer service, wish I had stayed with Scottish Gas!!
    And in the middle of the flood I felt my worth

When you held onto me like I was your little life raft
    Please know that you were mine as well

Drops of water hit the ground like God's own tears
    And spread out into shapes like
    Salad bowls and basins and buckets for bailing out the flood
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 13th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    Robisere
    Over 5 years with EDF and the only problems I had were caused by Northern Energy not sending the quailfied engineer to change meters when we had GCH installed. We had ancient Night Storage heaters and Economy 7 before then: very expensive and no heating left in the storage bricks after 4 pm. All bungalows in our Close had the change at the same time and all had been using 3 Phase meters, (Sheltered Housing, alarm systems) which had to be changed to single phase. N.E. delayed the process for months and we all paid too much as a result. EDF managed to get this sorted for our own supply, gave us compensation for overpayments and hassle, then negotiated with N.E. for us to get additional compensation from them. I relayed all information to others and some managed to get their suppliers to sort it out, but some did not.

Since then I have carried out regular comparisons and EDF have been less expensive than most, but not enough of a difference to make me lose their very good customer service and a website better than any other. I have their Online Feb '19 tariff and I pay £73 a month for Dual Fuel. In the past, when I have noted a large Credit amount, I negotiated a refund using the very efficient website chatline and reached a compromise sum. If they ever say that I need to pay more and propose an amount, I use the Chatline to negotiate again.

I take meter readings myself every two months and send them to the website. I get a new bill notification within 48 hours, never less, sent to my email address. It all works beautifully and it would take something special to make me switch. EDF have been great to us.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 27th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Consumerist
    EDF online account log-in problem
    Is anyone else having a problem logging in to their EDF Energy account?

I've been getting a message about "technical problems" for a few days now when I try to log in.

Just wondered if it is just me or whether is it a general problem.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 27th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    Is anyone else having a problem logging in to their EDF Energy account?

I've been getting a message about "technical problems" for a few days now when I try to log in.

Just wondered if it is just me or whether is it a general problem.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Just tested mine and was able to log in ok.
    • gareth71
    • By gareth71 11th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gareth71
    Avoid EDF
    Switched to EDF last year (from BG) via MSE cheap energy club. The switch didn't really go that smoothly, but we got there in the end.

EDF then told me that the smart meters which BG had installed a short while beforehand weren't compatible with their systems, and were therefore useless.

HOWEVER ... the real problems were last month when I initiated a switch away from EDF to Tonik (again via MSE).

Changeover meter readings were submitted to Tonik on 9th March, and they submitted them to EDF. After a couple of weeks of no movement, it turned out that EDF were disputing the gas read, saying it was far too high based on their estimates. My response was that estimates didn't have anything to do with it, it was an actual reading that I'd taken and submitted - but they were having none of it, suggesting that my reading was wrong.

Their estimate was way too low - based on the previous billed reading from last November, it would've suggested that I'd have spent most of last winter with my central heating switched off! Again, I explained this to them but they were having none of it, arguing the toss about how my reading couldn't possibly be right because it didn't tally with their estimate.

The customer service staff at EDF who deal with e-mails are totally useless - cut-and-paste responses, a patronising attitude, sometimes a tenuous command of the English language, slow to respond, no consistency as regards a point of contact.

Eventually I resorted to getting in touch with them via Twitter - at least this produced a response from a UK-based member of staff and they stepped in to get things moving for me. Even then, though, the contact centre staff didn't want to play ball and accept the reading. I even had an e-mail from one of them saying that the only way they'd accept what I was saying is if I sent them a photograph of the meter showing the reading and the serial number!

Effectively, they were stopping just short of actually saying straight out "sorry, but we think you're lying to us and won't believe you until you send us a photo of the current reading". Any company who calls their customers liars is definitely not one who I'd want to do business with!

Eventually (last weekend, a month after sending in my readings) they grudgingly accepted that I wasn't trying to pull a fast one and agreed to issue a final bill based on what I'd submitted to them.

I tend to shop around every year or two to keep my energy bills low, and change supplier to whoever offers the best deal at the time. However, there's no way on the good earth that I'd ever take my business to EDF again. They're a bunch of clowns.
    • JohnB123456
    • By JohnB123456 11th Apr 18, 1:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnB123456
    Dishonest renewal page
    Their tariff renewal page is dishonest. It quotes the rates for current and new tariffs, with the latter clearly higher, but mysteriously the projection is lower for the new tariff, as the projection is based on the SVR, not the actual tariff I'm on. This is just designed to mislead people. Show the actual price rise from my current to my new tariff

I wish I could escape from them
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 11th Apr 18, 2:28 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    Their tariff renewal page is dishonest. It quotes the rates for current and new tariffs, with the latter clearly higher, but mysteriously the projection is lower for the new tariff, as the projection is based on the SVR, not the actual tariff I'm on. This is just designed to mislead people. Show the actual price rise from my current to my new tariff

I wish I could escape from them
    Originally posted by JohnB123456
    I understood you were on a white meter tariff?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5825731

I'm surprised there is any renewal, as most suppliers who are obligated to support legacy metering do so with a single, variable, never ending tariff.

However, if you do happen to have a fixed term tariff, then I suggest you pass all your comments to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk.

The supplier is not being dishonest, but rather simply acting under the directions of Ofgem.
    If you were able to switch to any other supplier (which you cannot), they would (should) act in exactly the same way.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,988 Thanks
    molerat
    Switched to EDF last year (from BG) via MSE cheap energy club. The switch didn't really go that smoothly, but we got there in the end.

EDF then told me that the smart meters which BG had installed a short while beforehand weren't compatible with their systems, and were therefore useless.

HOWEVER ... the real problems were last month when I initiated a switch away from EDF to Tonik (again via MSE).

Changeover meter readings were submitted to Tonik on 9th March, and they submitted them to EDF. After a couple of weeks of no movement, it turned out that EDF were disputing the gas read, saying it was far too high based on their estimates. My response was that estimates didn't have anything to do with it, it was an actual reading that I'd taken and submitted - but they were having none of it, suggesting that my reading was wrong.

Their estimate was way too low - based on the previous billed reading from last November, it would've suggested that I'd have spent most of last winter with my central heating switched off! Again, I explained this to them but they were having none of it, arguing the toss about how my reading couldn't possibly be right because it didn't tally with their estimate.

The customer service staff at EDF who deal with e-mails are totally useless - cut-and-paste responses, a patronising attitude, sometimes a tenuous command of the English language, slow to respond, no consistency as regards a point of contact.

Eventually I resorted to getting in touch with them via Twitter - at least this produced a response from a UK-based member of staff and they stepped in to get things moving for me. Even then, though, the contact centre staff didn't want to play ball and accept the reading. I even had an e-mail from one of them saying that the only way they'd accept what I was saying is if I sent them a photograph of the meter showing the reading and the serial number!

Effectively, they were stopping just short of actually saying straight out "sorry, but we think you're lying to us and won't believe you until you send us a photo of the current reading". Any company who calls their customers liars is definitely not one who I'd want to do business with!

Eventually (last weekend, a month after sending in my readings) they grudgingly accepted that I wasn't trying to pull a fast one and agreed to issue a final bill based on what I'd submitted to them.

I tend to shop around every year or two to keep my energy bills low, and change supplier to whoever offers the best deal at the time. However, there's no way on the good earth that I'd ever take my business to EDF again. They're a bunch of clowns.
    Originally posted by gareth71
    EDF are not in a position to dispute a closing read as it has nothing to do with them, or in fact the new supplier even though you supply them with it, as that read is sent through a third party industry verifier. I am just leaving them so we shall see how it goes.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Consumerist
    EDF are not in a position to dispute a closing read as it has nothing to do with them, or in fact the new supplier even though you supply them with it, as that read is sent through a third party industry verifier. I am just leaving them so we shall see how it goes.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Thanks Molerat. I too am in the process of switching from EDF and was quite surprised to read of their tactics regarding final meter readings.

Forewarned is forearmed !
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Changeover meter readings were submitted to Tonik on 9th March, and they submitted them to EDF. After a couple of weeks of no movement, it turned out that EDF were disputing the gas read, saying it was far too high based on their estimates. My response was that estimates didn't have anything to do with it, it was an actual reading that I'd taken and submitted - but they were having none of it, suggesting that my reading was wrong. . .
    Originally posted by gareth71
    I found an interesting <article> on the Octopus Energy site which explains the process for meter readings when switching supplier.

I suspect that a reading may have been rejected by the verifying body and not by EDF themselves, as they claimed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,164Posts Today

6,184Users online

Martin's Twitter