Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:14 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Edf Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 1:10 PM.
Page 3
  • springc
    I am on the verge of switching from EDF after a year of being on their Blue Price Promise dual fuel tariff.

Their billing system in appalling, submitting meter readings online never seems to work properly and they don't send engineers to take them unless you request them. Their customer service via email give different answers to those on the telephone, I don't know if they're based elsewhere but it's not exactly helpful either way!

My account was over £600 in credit due to an error on their part from when I originally switched, and even though they've finally adjusted the settings a year later - because, as the CS Adviser put it, he'd bothered to read all the information when it looked like nobody else had - it's still over £200 in credit now!
  • esmecullen
    Steer clear
    Switched from EDF after 5yrs of complete incompetency from them, I'd been with EDF for over 20yrs previously with no problems whatsoever, it was only from 2007 when I moved that the fun began.

1. could not register online as their website did not recognise the account no or my address. so I would phone in the readings

2. giving readings over the telephone took 3 tries on average

3. incorrect billing due to their failure to input the correct readings

4. tried to register for the Blue price promise by telephone, informed that I had been, only to find out that they never did this. Continual promises by them to put me on this tariff failed to materialize

I have now switched to BG and wow what a difference, not only cheaper bills, but great customer service, none of the EDF mantra's of "nothing to do with us" or "well you must have given us wrong readings" or the best one "well we wrote to you about this" If I have a problem its dealt with!

Best thing I did was get away from this shower
    total airhead, total bimbo, very superficial
  • Wywth
    I am on the verge of switching from EDF after a year of being on their Blue Price Promise dual fuel tariff.

Their billing system in appalling, submitting meter readings online never seems to work properly and they don't send engineers to take them unless you request them. Their customer service via email give different answers to those on the telephone, I don't know if they're based elsewhere but it's not exactly helpful either way!

My account was over £600 in credit due to an error on their part from when I originally switched, and even though they've finally adjusted the settings a year later - because, as the CS Adviser put it, he'd bothered to read all the information when it looked like nobody else had - it's still over £200 in credit now!
    Originally posted by springc
    I've been with EDF for over a year now.
    I submit my meter readings online once a month and get a bill produced usually the next working day.
    I see they also sent out a meter reader out at about 12 months despite my own regular meter readings.

I've never emailed them a issue, but when I originally switched I did call them to clarify something and sort something out for me and they were helpful on both occasions (although the sorting out response was essentially it'll happen within a week ... which it did)

The initial monthly DD is set based on the cost of 1/12 of the annual consumption you originally inform them, so if that produces a credit, you over estimated your consumption.
    DD is reviewed at 6 monthly intervals. If they don't have actual readings from you then that could be why you now have a credit (e.g. they increased the monthly amount). I can't make head or tail of how they calculate the revised monthly payments, but I had no issue getting it changed back to the original amount at the 6 moth period, and at 12 months they said I was not paying enough but they were not changing the DD anyway (I'm currently in credit as you would expect at this time of year)

If you switch supplier, you will get back all your accrued credit.
  • springc
    The initial monthly DD is set based on the cost of 1/12 of the annual consumption you originally inform them, so if that produces a credit, you over estimated your consumption.
    DD is reviewed at 6 monthly intervals. If they don't have actual readings from you then that could be why you now have a credit (e.g. they increased the monthly amount).
    Originally posted by Wywth
    I live in rented accommodation, so they were given the readings when I moved in, then after 6 weeks of living at the address I provided readings again, and have done every 3 months. They entered the wrong reading - inputting the electricity reading into the gas reading on their system - at the beginning, which was only realised by them last week, after a whole year of faff. The Customer Service rep actually admitted that it looked as if nobody had bothered to scroll to the bottom of the account as it was too far down and it was lucky he had.

I can have sympathy for certain errors, but this, coupled with crazy emails that all contradict each other, is just unbelievably ridiculous all round.
    • MSWinner
    • By MSWinner 12th Sep 13, 3:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MSWinner
    Beware - it's "low-carbon", but it's not green
    Although this tariff is "a low-carbon" one, it's by no means green - 100% of the power coming from nuclear generators which, if they don't fail, will leave hazardous waste to be managed for centuries to come.
    If I'd have known it was a nuclear power tariff I wouldn't have chosen it. Perhaps MSE could revise its advice?

Re EDF's service, I've only been with them 6 months but have had no problems so far. Indeed they reduced my monthly DD payments when they calculated I would be too much in credit at the end of the first year.
    Last edited by MSWinner; 12-09-2013 at 3:28 PM.
    • cosmojohnson
    • By cosmojohnson 13th Sep 13, 3:25 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    cosmojohnson
    Switched to EDF dual fuel on moving house late last year. Pay by monthly DD - submit meter readings (online or via their app) every 6 weeks or so, and a statement appears shortly afterwards.

Had my DD amount changed a couple of times by them based on the amount of energy used, and they give the rationale behind it on the bill.

So overall no complaints; even won a pair of tickets for the London Eye through their "ThankYous" rewards programme!
    • sbradnam
    • By sbradnam 14th Sep 13, 9:03 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    sbradnam
    EDF - All fine
    I am on a long EDF fix. I submit regular meter reads, they advise in advance of any DD changes, bills are clear, and their rewards programme is ok. Email correspondence is good, including automated reminders to submit meter reads.

Was with Eon for 5 years before - they were fine too.

Being proactive is the key imho. All good.

Stuart
    • Leblanc
    • By Leblanc 14th Sep 13, 7:09 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Leblanc
    I have been with EDF for a year and no real problems.
    They upped my monthly payment at one point, but I did the sums and told them I disagreed. They then reduced it to the figure I calculated, without a quibble.
    I send in meter readings and they recalculate my payments by the next day.
    I am currently on a fixed rate which remains the cheapest fixed rate available and this was confirmed by MSE also.
  • cookie-crumble
    EDF Blue+
    an update on EDF -swopped to them in aug 2012 fixed until sept '13, no hitches moving from scotish power- except SP sent an estimated gas bill which was £20 over, we had given readings! just made sure our start reading with EDF matched; couldnt be bothered time/energy to wrangle with old supplier for that amount.I like that i can log on ,easily, update readngs every few months and my DD is altered accordingly - no nasty surprises . plenty of notice e.mail/paper that deal was ending, a phonecall to sign up for another year - was told two cheaper suppliers (has to be at least £52 p/yr) - stuck with them for great customer service/helpfulness; and didnt like reviews on the cheaper alternatives.
    • dannynolan
    • By dannynolan 22nd Oct 13, 11:34 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    dannynolan
    I have an edf blue fix to April 2014. To fix to April 2017 would mean an immediate rise in my tarriff of 24.97%.

So for me to be better off by getting an April 2017 fix, my existing energy price would have to rise by more than 13% p.a.

No thanks.

I think Martin needs to look again at the arithmetic here before badging the EDF Blue March 2017 as a Top Deal.

And as for his recommendation

*Beat the up to 10% price hikes !!!8211; lock into a cheap FIX now*

Dreadful - a 25% increase right now does NOT beat a 10% price hike nor is it by any description a 'cheap FIX'.

Martin sort this out. You are doing your subscribers a big, big disservice.
    Last edited by dannynolan; 22-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    • ukflippy
    • By ukflippy 22nd Oct 13, 12:31 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ukflippy
    I have an edf blue fix to April 2014. To fix to April 2017 would mean an immediate rise in my tarriff of 24.97%.
    Originally posted by dannynolan
    I've just moved from April 2014 fix to the April 2017 one, and have just taken the hit you mention, but you need to look deeper into the sums.

First, my bill has gone from combined £76 to £102 monthly, which is approx that 25% you mention.

That said, the April 2014 fix isn't a valid comparison, as it's nothing like what you'll get now, or come renewal. You're comparing something that no-one can currently get with what's actually available.

Should I have taken the April 2015 deal now, my bill would have gone up to £90/month, which is probably a better comparison for your purposes.

If, as expected, EDF up their prices by 10% in the next couple of days/weeks, that'll be up to £99 per month by the time April comes around.

So while I'm losing out by £26/month until April, and £3 (estimated) per month after that, I'm taking the hit because I don't believe that 4 year fix will persist much longer, given we're due price rises soon. The risk I'm taking is that the ~£200 extra I'm spending over the next 18 months will be offset by expected price rises over the 42 month period.
    • NPowerUser
    • By NPowerUser 22nd Oct 13, 12:39 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    NPowerUser
    Despite my username I am on the EDF blue April 2014 fix.

I have never had any problems submitting meter readings when either prompted or I remembered. Our meter is in an awkward place so we keep putting off readings when we shouldn't really.

Any adjustments to DD have only been down to increase useage or a different tariff.

I am with Danny on this one. Sitting tight until May 2014 before deciding the tariffs available if I want to switch then.

I don't want to lose the excellent tariff I am on at the moment by paying way over the odds for another 2-3 year fixed deal.

Deals will come and go and if we have an exceptionally cold winter as forecast, I am happy paying the deal I signed up for.

• shaggy
    • By shaggy 22nd Oct 13, 1:42 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    shaggy
    i have just now switched from Scottish Power fixed tarriff (Jan 2014) to EDF Blue+ price promise.

I know I had a couple of months to run before my current deal but there was no exit penalty so I took a risk as prices will be higher come the end of the year.

The Scottish Power March 2015 fixed tarriff came out slightly cheaper this time but I went with EDF because it has no exit penalty.

I was with EDF last year and never really had a problem with them although their direct debit amounts were a bit random. Scottish Power are amazingly accurate but for the sake of saving a few hundred £££'s a year I went with EDF.

Will report back on here after my switch on how things go.
    • dannynolan
    • By dannynolan 23rd Oct 13, 10:56 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    dannynolan

That said, the April 2014 fix isn't a valid comparison, as it's nothing like what you'll get now, or come renewal. You're comparing something that no-one can currently get with what's actually available.
    Originally posted by ukflippy
    For example the Scottish Power fix until March 2015 would increase my annual cost of fuel by 4.72%. So yes no-one can get my current tarriff but they can get within 4.72% of it (with a not-worrying-to-me £50 exit penalty).

So I stand by my argument that EDF's Blue April 2017 fix would be guaranteeing me a 13% price rise every year (albeit with opt-out clause) which I do not find attractive. And of course there's *cough* REd's 20 month price freeze to come.

I reiterate that Martin is far far too keen on promoting Blue et al as a 'Price Fix' - in my book they're an 'Increases Fix'. The companies are taking the proverbial and Martin is asleep at the wheel on this one. Unless he cares to prove to me otherwise.
    Last edited by dannynolan; 23-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
  • Tasty Hasty
    Blue + 2017
    I've just switched from the April 2014 to the 2017 deal and it's going up by £28 per month from 8 November. I'd be very keen to get views on whether this is a good deal from Martin (luckily there is a 10 day cooling off period).
    • deejaybee
    • By deejaybee 23rd Oct 13, 4:41 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    deejaybee
    Re EDF

At my previous rented house, we were on a fix that ended at end of sept 2013.

Have very recently moved, and have had a letter saying that we are on a " deemed contract" for now.

Have tried to call them numerous times but end up listening to music for ages, and messages that they are very busy..... yes I know they have 0800 numbers, but I am calling on a mobile, as we cant get landline/broadband in till 5th Nov ( why are all the uk utility companys total toss ? )

Managed to get WiFi hotspot working so have submitted closing meter readings for old place on EDF website ( even then it says it might take 10days to get a response via email !!!! )

I want to talk to an actual human being to discuss fix going forward, but I aint running up my moby bill any more so looks like will have to wait till bonfire night...
    • NPowerUser
    • By NPowerUser 23rd Oct 13, 5:03 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    NPowerUser
    I reiterate that Martin is far far too keen on promoting Blue et al as a 'Price Fix' - in my book they're an 'Increases Fix'. The companies are taking the proverbial and Martin is asleep at the wheel on this one. Unless he cares to prove to me otherwise.
    Originally posted by dannynolan
    Sometimes it can be difficult to be objective?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18295587

• naidupavan
    Co Operative is Cheaper then EDF
    Tariff Details
    Name Co-operative Energy - Fixed Price March 2015
    Region Scottish Hydro
    Payment method Monthly Direct Debit
    Features
    Only UK energy supplier owned by its customers
    Prices fixed until 31st March 2015
    No tie-ins or cancellation fees
    Choice of paper or paperless billing
    Pricing Details
    Breakdown Gas Electricity
    Standing charge 20.00 p per day (£73.00 per year) 20.00 p per day (£73.00 per year)
    Unit charge (pence per kWh) 3.581 p 14.123 p
    Discounts
    All prices shown are inclusive of VAT at 5%.
    Additional Information
    Tariff information Co-operative Energy's Fixed Price March 2015 prices will be fixed until 31st March 2015.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 7th Dec 13, 11:44 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    shaggy
    Tariff Details
    Name Co-operative Energy - Fixed Price March 2015
    Region Scottish Hydro
    Payment method Monthly Direct Debit
    Features
    Only UK energy supplier owned by its customers
    Prices fixed until 31st March 2015
    No tie-ins or cancellation fees
    Choice of paper or paperless billing
    Pricing Details
    Breakdown Gas Electricity
    Standing charge 20.00 p per day (£73.00 per year) 20.00 p per day (£73.00 per year)
    Unit charge (pence per kWh) 3.581 p 14.123 p
    Discounts
    All prices shown are inclusive of VAT at 5%.
    Additional Information
    Tariff information Co-operative Energy's Fixed Price March 2015 prices will be fixed until 31st March 2015.
    Originally posted by naidupavan
    do you work for the co-op? I noticed you only just registered and have just this post to your name!
  • Zombies
    I am considering moving from EDF.

When we set up the current deal in July (after being with them 1 year) we agreed a monthly direct debit of £99.
    They immediately took out £201
    I phoned them up they said they would pay the difference back, they didn't, I phone d back etc etc I never got it back.
    Next bill £99, we had used £96 over 7 weeks so was happy

Now, they have took out £201 again whilst being £565 in credit.
    Phoned them up, gave new readings they then took out the difference £165 in 6-7 weeks now have £360ish

They do not keep to their agreed monthly payments

I was just told okay I will sort that out for next payment.
    Next time you put in your readings give us a ring to make sure we only take out the £99

So, they have basically just said they will probably not keep to the £99

Not doing the direct debit way again, I don't care if they say its cheaper, it might be over the whole year but in the middle of December when you have budgeted for the £99 and they more than double it, forget it.

They are having us all over and the Gov wont do anything because it will affect their dividends.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,164Posts Today

6,184Users online

Martin's Twitter