Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chlo88
    • By chlo88 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 29Thanks
    chlo88
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete 17th Feb 16 at 12:29 PM
    Hi all,

We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait
Page 56
    • shilton87
    • By shilton87 13th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shilton87
    We reserved our new build back in January and it's more or less complete now.
    We have a completion date of Friday 23rd Feb.
    It's been an amazing feeling seeing it turn into a home. The house was already built when we reserved It, but we got to pick our flooring and tiles, and it was great seeing them go in, and the kitchen.
    The development have been great in letting us on the site to see it, and last week when they put the carpets in, we got to go in it straight after. It actually looks like a home now, and has that amazing new carpet smell.
    Hope everyone else waiting loves their new house when it's up and ready, we can't wait to move in to ours next week!
    Originally posted by Nicola83

My husband and I are looking at very similar dates to you for our new build! Although we haven't been invited to go and actually see it yet, lucky you - it sounds very exciting! I hope your completion and moving in goes smoothly.
    We reserved last August, house is pretty much finished now, we have a demo next week on the 20th Feb to finally see it for the first time, and then we are pushing for keys and completion for the 23rd... fingers crossed!
    • Claudiawalker98
    • By Claudiawalker98 14th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claudiawalker98
    Nicola83, I hope everything goes well when you move in and you can enjoy your lovely new home! I'm so jealous, I just want ours to be built now so we can move in haha, I guess we'll just have to wait

How much should be be expecting to pay in fees? Such as sols fees etc. I have no idea about what to expect!
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 14th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Nicola83
    Shilton87, I bet you can't wait to see it in the flesh! I can't wait till we get our home demo to show us how everything works. Fingers crossed you get your keys the same day we do.
    Claudia, when is yours scheduled to be ready?
    Our developer is paying all our legal fees as part of an incentive to buy the house so quick, but they sat down with our solicitor and asked how much he charged, I think in total it came to just under 900 but the developer is giving us 1300 towards it for some reason.
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 14th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    Towards completion, how much notice do you receive for home demos, snagging meetings, completion etc.?

I've currently got a completion date for the end of May and I'm trying to work out how much leave from work I'll need and when.
    • Dolly123
    • By Dolly123 14th Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Dolly123
    We reserved our new home on the 9th Feb, after waiting a year for this specific plot to be released as it!!!8217;s the only one of this house type with a double garage and 8 parking spaces! it!!!8217;s due for completion in August/Sept time, we are just in the nervy mortgage application stage it!!!8217;s due to have its mortgage valuation on Monday! So excited though as we are first time buyers, I cannot stop buying new stuff!
    • cjv
    • By cjv 14th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    cjv
    Hi guys, how long after reserving a plot do you have to get the Mortgage offer from a lender for a New Build?

Could you reserve a plot today for a development due to complete in say December 2018 and apply for the mortgage close to December, or is it individual to each developers requirements.

I have my eye on a development but wish to get myself Mortgage ready over the next 6 months or so.
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 15th Feb 18, 7:25 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    Hi guys, how long after reserving a plot do you have to get the Mortgage offer from a lender for a New Build?

Could you reserve a plot today for a development due to complete in say December 2018 and apply for the mortgage close to December, or is it individual to each developers requirements.

I have my eye on a development but wish to get myself Mortgage ready over the next 6 months or so.
    Originally posted by cjv
    I had my mortgage offer before I reserved a plot. Generally mortgage offers are valid for 6 months and can often be renewed afterwards.

If a development is due to complete in December 2018, I still imagine the developers want to exchange contracts in the next couple of weeks so you'll still need a mortgage offer.
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 15th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Nicola83
    dhokes, we went to our developer today and have arranged the home demo for completion day at 12pm. That should take about an hour and then we're good to go. We've been able to go and see our house more or less as often as we like since it's been built and any snagging we've identified we've just told the sales lady. She told us today someone will come back a week after we've moved in to take a snagging list if we've found any. We've only taken 4 days off work if that's any help?
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 15th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    dhokes, we went to our developer today and have arranged the home demo for completion day at 12pm. That should take about an hour and then we're good to go. We've been able to go and see our house more or less as often as we like since it's been built and any snagging we've identified we've just told the sales lady. She told us today someone will come back a week after we've moved in to take a snagging list if we've found any. We've only taken 4 days off work if that's any help?
    Originally posted by Nicola83
    I'm guessing one being the completion date? What were the other 3 days off for, if you don't mind me asking?
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 15th Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Nicola83
    Just for moving everything in and getting organised. We complete on the Friday, and then have Saturday to move all the big stuff in that we have in storage, Sunday to build the furniture we buy and Monday to get a bit organised (plus wait for the sky man to come and install our tele).
    • cjv
    • By cjv 15th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    cjv
    I had my mortgage offer before I reserved a plot. Generally mortgage offers are valid for 6 months and can often be renewed afterwards.

If a development is due to complete in December 2018, I still imagine the developers want to exchange contracts in the next couple of weeks so you'll still need a mortgage offer.
    Originally posted by dhokes
    Thank you for that. The development I am looking at states "Launching Summer 2018", is the Launch usually the first opportunity to reserve a plot? There is currently no price or spec information released.

I would ideally like to save/pay down debts for the next 6 months as I would not have full confidence of a Mortgage with my current finances. At the same time I would hate to miss out on these apartments, they look perfect for me.
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 15th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dhokes
    Thank you for that. The development I am looking at states "Launching Summer 2018", is the Launch usually the first opportunity to reserve a plot? There is currently no price or spec information released.

I would ideally like to save/pay down debts for the next 6 months as I would not have full confidence of a Mortgage with my current finances. At the same time I would hate to miss out on these apartments, they look perfect for me.
    Originally posted by cjv
    Your best option is probably to speak to the developers and ask them when the first properties will be available to reserve and that you're interested.

If you haven't already spoken to a mortgage advisor, you should probably do that as well.
    • Supersy
    • By Supersy 16th Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Supersy
    We reserved our new Story home on the 19th of January, This was at a launch event for a new development, we are using Help to Buy and the developer is holding things up, We need the estimated build completion date from them for the ATP, its the only thing we are awaiting as we have mortgage in place and everything, im getting quite annoyed with them at the moment as they keep saying "next week".....
    • cjv
    • By cjv 17th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    cjv
    Your best option is probably to speak to the developers and ask them when the first properties will be available to reserve and that you're interested.

If you haven't already spoken to a mortgage advisor, you should probably do that as well.
    Originally posted by dhokes
    Thanks. I spoke to the Agent who will be selling them, they said that marketing should commence in July/August and at the moment they have no plans to offer any route for earlier reservations.

This gives me plenty of time to try and get myself a bit more Mortgage ready before I go and have a look.
    • crystalpinks
    • By crystalpinks 24th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    crystalpinks
    Nicola and shilton are you in? And is it everything you hoped for?
    I'm stalking my house almost daily, brickwork finished, all the pieces for the roof are sat there waiting for someone to built it!
    Exciting times! But still no closer to narrowing down completion date, only date we've been given so far is April-June which is super frustrating!!
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 25th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Nicola83
    We've been in since Friday crystalpinks and it's amazing!!! The finish on the house is to a really high standard. We've spotted a couple of minor things like a little hole hasn't been filled in the bathroom wall where they've obviously drilled wrong for the towel rail and one of the kitchen drawers doesn't soft close properly like the others do, but apart from that it's been perfect.
    The developers have been brilliant, the sales lady even allowed my other half in and helped him to decorate the house for him to propose
    So needless to say it's been a big few days for us, and yours might feel like it's a long way off but it will soon be here. When the roof is on they might let you go inside it and you can see it grow onto your house
    • Windofchange
    • By Windofchange 16th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Windofchange
    Thanks. I spoke to the Agent who will be selling them, they said that marketing should commence in July/August and at the moment they have no plans to offer any route for earlier reservations.

This gives me plenty of time to try and get myself a bit more Mortgage ready before I go and have a look.
    Originally posted by cjv
    Similar situation to you. Have been looking round at new builds with help to buy for the past week. Turned down one today that was built and ready to move in (negotiated a heavy discount), but have settled on another just up the road. The issue with this Is that it is currently a hole in the ground with a scheduled completion date of between December this year to February 19. Speaking to the sales lady, she said that if I was applying with an open market mortgage, I could make a reservation today, but as I was planning to use help to buy they can only release these 6 months before planned completion. I am now 5th on a waiting list. Should find out in June sort of time if I am to be offered the chance to buy.

I could go the open mortgage route, but I would like some of the money I have for another project, and so help to buy is the solution to this at the moment. I think however that if people start reserving over the next few weeks then I will have to have a rethink as the property was absolutely 100% right - you know you just get that feeling?

I did setup another thread recently on this, but for those on here who have been through this, what is your experience of the wait? Have you ever been in a queue, and if so, did you get the chance to buy the property in the end, or were there others who jumped the queue through not using help to buy and you ended up with nothing? There are other properties in the pipeline that would be of interest, but I don't want to be hanging around for years on end waiting to get lucky with help to buy.

Anyway, on the plus side, another year or so to build savings and finish off the last of my debt as per signature. When I go for the mortgage interview, I'm hoping it will be pretty straight forward - i.e. above average salary with no debt.
    Debt Free by Xmas 2018 21.51% (350) of 1,626.91
    Save 6k by 31/12/2018 2263 / 6000
    • crystalpinks
    • By crystalpinks 18th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    crystalpinks
    Roof is on and scaffolding is down! I can't stop stalking it! Helps that my Mum lives in the next street! Will pop in next week as ask when we can get it and have a look...so excited!
    Congratulations Nicola!
    Wind of change, sounds like a frustrating situation for you, we never had a waiting list for ours but it was the last pair of semis in that house type- and the last phase of the development, so if we hadn't have managed to secure this plot there was no Plan B, we couldn't afford the remaining house types so the pressure was on to get in the morning the plot was released and throw money at them immediately! We nearly lost the reservation after my solicitor moved so slowly and eventually took almost 3 months to exchange (they wanted it done within 28days!) but got there in the end!
    • sammcmillan
    • By sammcmillan 27th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sammcmillan
    Thought I would join you all as I've been following this thread (and catching up with peoples stories from the first post to present day!). We reserved a new build in March after agreeing to use the builders part exchange scheme - so far all gone to plan - we exchanged contracts yesterday. Completion window Aug/Sept - house not built yet, bricks are up to top of front door frame now - have been told by builders that we will be invited for options meeting within a couple of weeks of the roof going on. Now it's just a waiting game...slightly nervous as our mortgage offer runs out at the end of Sept so really hoping we complete before then so that we don't have to apply for a new mortgage product - but not much I can do to influence that.
    The builders still have to sell our current home so plan to start marketing that next month - I just hope the estate agents explain to potential purchasers that we are waiting on a new build because I don't want to be seen as causing hold ups in the "chain" - exciting times ahead and I hope some of you have moved forwards on your journeys since your last posts...
    • crystalpinks
    • By crystalpinks 27th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    crystalpinks
    Welcome Sam! Exciting times ahead. Aug/sept is no time at all I!!!8217;m sure buyers will be okay with it by the time they apply for Mortgage etc etc!
    Ours is almost finished now! We!!!8217;ve been in- just painting and cleaning up, and landscaping !
    We have been told we!!!8217;ll be in end of May, just waiting for our 28day notice of completion in the post now! I!!!8217;ve just today packed my first box !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

438Posts Today

4,743Users online

Martin's Twitter