Minimum NI contribut'n not to affect state pension

Hi, I wonder can anyone help me please?
I am paying into a workplace pension via salary sacrifice. I have actually increased my payments to more than I can strictly afford. The reason being I have a small lump sum in the bank that I'm using to subsidise my wage, all deliberately and on advice, so that I'm effectively dripping the lump in to my pension but tax effectively?
My concern is that with the low level of tax and NI that I'm now paying it may be affecting the eligibility of my contributions when it comes to claiming state pension.
I was told I was okay, but my taxable income is now only about 5.5k p/a, resulting in me paying not much more than 1k as tax, similar amount in NI, and my employer paying a little more in NI.
My concern comes from someone I know having had financial advice saying they should be earning 19k after deductions (8.5k taxable by my calculations) in order to ensure NI contributions didn’t impact on state pension eligibility.
Can anyone give me definitive figures on minimum sums I need to pay in NI for a year or what should be a minimum taxable income equivalent??
Ps I will not have spent my entire working life in the UK so no, I won't necessarily have more than enough contributions to cover any issues. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2018 at 10:41AM
    You need to earn just under £6K (52 x £113) gross from one source of employment to get enough NI credits for a full year contribution. You do not need to actually pay any NI as above £113 per week you get credited with NI. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions
  • If your taxable income is only 5.5k then why are you paying 1k in tax?

What does your payslip show for National Insurance as you're at the level when no NI could be payable either.

There are some other recent threads about qualifying years for State Pension and gov.uk has plenty of info.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your taxable income is only 5.5k then why are you paying 1k in tax?

Does he mean that he earns £5,000 or so above the PA?
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    xylophone wrote: »
    Does he mean that he earns £5,000 or so above the PA?

That's how I read it (taxable income of £5.5k), i.e. around £16-17k p.a.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • If your taxable income is only 5.5k then why are you paying 1k in tax?
    Ummmm??? let me see now
    Taxable Income is £5,500
    Tax rate is 20%
    £5,500 x 20% = £1,100

£1,100 is just over £1k

Very easy really
    :rotfl::T:rotfl:
  • My concern comes from someone I know having had financial advice saying they should be earning 19k after deductions (8.5k taxable by my calculations) in order to ensure NI contributions didn!!!8217;t impact on state pension eligibility.

I see similar remarks on many forms not just financial one. "Someone I know etc". If these posters do not believe what these anonymous contacts tell them why do the think some punter on an Internet forum is any more reliable.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    drumtochty wrote: »
    My concern comes from someone I know having had financial advice saying they should be earning 19k after deductions (8.5k taxable by my calculations) in order to ensure NI contributions didn!!!8217;t impact on state pension eligibility.

I see similar remarks on many forms not just financial one. "Someone I know etc". If these posters do not believe what these anonymous contacts tell them why do the think some punter on an Internet forum is any more reliable.

Because they are told 2 different stories and want independent advice, preferably explained straightforwardly, with a link to a Government web site which is what has happened here. Problem, like gee, clarified, and many happy to oblige. Buying NI contributions would cost more than £700 pa. So what’s not to like.
  • Wirenth
    Wirenth Posts: 899 Forumite
    Just make sure the salary sacrificing doesn't take you below the minimum wage.

"A salary sacrifice arrangement can't reduce an employee's cash earnings below the National Minimum Wage rates". https://www.gov.uk/guidance/salary-sacrifice-and-the-effects-on-paye
    Good, clean fun.... :D
    MFW #11 2015 £7657 / £8880
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Wirenth wrote: »
    Just make sure the salary sacrificing doesn't take you below the minimum wage.

"A salary sacrifice arrangement can't reduce an employee's cash earnings below the National Minimum Wage rates". https://www.gov.uk/guidance/salary-sacrifice-and-the-effects-on-paye
    For a full time worker you need to be well below NMW for it to have an effect on SP, around £3 ph.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    GunJack wrote: »
    That's how I read it (taxable income of £5.5k), i.e. around £16-17k p.a.
    Yes it's the wrong terminology that has confused people. All your earnings are "taxable". Some of it falls in the personal allowance and so is not taxed, but it's all taxable income.

If you're asked what your taxable income for other purposes, such as tax credits, uni loans for your kids, or benefits, you need to include all taxable income including any that falls within your personal allowance.

Non taxable income is stuff that isn't taxxed and doesn't use up your allowance, eg ISA interest, tax credits, some benefits etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure